[Mod] Digtron tunnel boring/building machine [digtron]

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: [Mod]Modular tunnel boring/building machine [digtron][0.

by Desour » Post

@atlasmoon: What Minetest version do you use?
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Edit: Duplicate.
What's your minetest version?
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

atlasmoon
In-game: atlasmoon

by atlasmoon » Post

Minetest 0.4.13
Ubuntu 16.04 x64

p.s:I had this issue only with this mod.
Thanks

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

That is super old. Digtron is probably built with newer engine features. There's a proper PPA for Ubuntu that has the latest versions, no need to stay behind.

FaceDeer
GitHub: FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

Yeah, 0.4.13 is just too old I'm afraid. I downloaded a copy and tried it out and even with the register_lbm calls removed (they're only needed for upgrading nodes from older versions of Digtron) there are other features Digtron uses that aren't supported in earlier versions of Minetest. It'd be a lot of work to make Digtron backward compatible to 0.4.13.

The latest verison of Minetest is 0.4.15, I'd suggest trying it out. It's nice. :)

atlasmoon

by atlasmoon » Post

@ texmex
@ FaceDeer

Yeah, IT IS WORKING.

Strange I got the old version. I followed all the procedure and installed the game. They should update the site so new players get directly the PPA instead of the old version.

Sincerely, this is why I searched all minecraft like sandbox and installed this game. remind me of the great TBM of minecraft. Miss the mining laser one too, but seems there is no mod like here (for the moment ;) ).

Thanks team.

hajo

by hajo » Post

atlasmoon wrote:Miss the mining laser
Have a look at the tools that come with Advanced Trains.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

The robot looks cheerful. Does it respect protection? id not like to have such a beast charging my house while eating my cobble walls.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

hajo wrote:
atlasmoon wrote:Miss the mining laser
Have a look at the tools that come with Advanced Trains.
That's a debug item and WILL BE REMOVED!
Destroys everything, does not take care of survival, does not wear out, does not drop items... don't!
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:The robot looks cheerful. Does it respect protection? id not like to have such a beast charging my house while eating my cobble walls.
It should respect protection, with the Digtron having only the permissions of the player clicking on it (or in the case of the auto-controller, the last player to set it running). If a Digtron tries to move into a protected node it will register an obstruction, and digging and building on protected nodes should fail as if it was an impenetrable wall. The crate will also register protected nodes as obstructed if someone tries to unpack a Digtron so that it overlaps protected area.

However, I must admit that I've done all my testing in single player mode. So while I coded Digtron to account for user permissions, I haven't actually *tried* a lot of the possible abuses that should be prevented.

The last feature left on my to-do list before I plan to declare version 1.0 release candidate is a "stop node" setting for the auto-controller that will let you select a particular node type for Digtron to treat as impassible. It was suggested a few weeks ago with the example of using torches to mark a spot where a tree-harvesting Digtron should stop. Was planning on getting that done in the next few days, you might find that useful.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Found out about this problem. Thought you might want to read it, but I'm not sure it is fixable from the digtron side. Possibly there are other cave generating mods out there that also eats away on our digtrons.
atlasmoon wrote:There is this wonderful MOD :
[Mod]Modular tunnel boring/building machine [digtron]
But when I use both of those MODs "Catacomb" + "TBM", I keep facing the issue that when catacomb generate new "room" or corridor, sometime it "eat" my boring machine. So could you please make it that catacomb reorganize "TBM" block and doesn't generate over them (So I can keep digging and same time generating catacomb, and avoid seeing my machine disappear when a new room is generated and have to build new one).

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

texmex wrote:Found out about this problem. Thought you might want to read it, but I'm not sure it is fixable from the digtron side. Possibly there are other cave generating mods out there that also eats away on our digtrons.
Aw. I actually encountered a similar problem when I was doing testing on earlier versions of Digtron, a default dungeon "ate" part of a tunneling machine. I think I fixed the problem as far as default dungeons are concerned by adding "ground_content = false" to the Digtron's components, but yeah, when it comes to map generation it's up to the individual mods to actually read and respect that flag. Some mods might deliberately decide not to respect that flag for various reasons.

I'll jump in the other thread and see if I can help Digtron and those other mods play nice with each other.

In the meantime, I can offer some ideas to maybe reduce the problem a bit:
  • Build your Digtron so that you can be as near the front as possible as it moves. This will hopefully cause map chunks to be generated far enough in front of you that these mods will have finished their work by the time you get to them.
  • If you're in Creative mode, use a crate to make a couple of copies of your Digtron before you go on a mining adventure. That way if one gets eaten it's not such a hassle rebuilding it.
  • If you have free movement privs, fly through the ground ahead of the Digtron to pre-generate the map chunks you're planning to dig through. Spoilers, unfortunately. Maybe close your eyes while doing it.
  • Maybe increasing the cycle time of the Digtron will help, again to cause mapgen to be finished by the time you get close to the edge. Not sure if this will really help though, and it'll make things annoyingly slow, so it's a last resort.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Figured it's a hard problem to solve. In the meantime I'll just tell my players that the earth giveth and the earth taketh. Thanks for looking into it!

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

texmex wrote:Figured it's a hard problem to solve. In the meantime I'll just tell my players that the earth giveth and the earth taketh. Thanks for looking into it!
Looks like there's a possible solution. If Paramat doesn't take it into his main repository I'll make a fork of catacombs that's compatible with Digtron for you. I like the idea of giant mechanical worms burrowing around through ground already honeycombed with dungeons.

In other news: I just added a "stop block" setting to the auto-controller, to allow players to fence in their Digtrons with a specific item. This is the last feature on my to-do list, everything else is nice-to-haves and get-to-somedays. So I declare release candidate 1. I'm going to spend a while just doing random testing and bugfixing now, with only the compatibility work previously mentioned remaining on the to-do list (it depends on other mods so I don't want to hold up on that basis alone).

texmex

by texmex » Post

FaceDeer wrote:Looks like there's a possible solution. If Paramat doesn't take it into his main repository I'll make a fork of catacombs that's compatible with Digtron for you. I like the idea of giant mechanical worms burrowing around through ground already honeycombed with dungeons.
That's very kind, thank you FaceDeer!

FaceDeer

Re: [Mod] Modular tunnel boring/building machine [digtron][0

by FaceDeer » Post

TenPlus1 just added a modding API to his version of the Hopper mod, and it looks nice to me so I've updated both Digtron and my own fork of Hopper to use that API instead. It should be safe to mix and match the various different mods without crashes, but if you're using hoppers and want them to stay compatible with Digtron then the next time you update either mod to a version released after today you'll need to update the other mod as well. Just a heads-up.

Also, I forked Catacomb to add an API that would allow me to protect Digtron nodes against it. You'll need to install both this fork of Catacomb: https://github.com/FaceDeer/catacomb (I've submitted a pull request so paramat may include it into the main fork at some point) and the latest version of Digtron. I did some local testing and it seems to work, let me know if there's anything that breaks.

atlasmoon

by atlasmoon » Post

Thanks FaceDeer

texmex

by texmex » Post

Players on my servers recently discovered the Digtron and having a lot of fun with it (I use the craftguides progressive to hide the what they cannot craft). I was thinking about the achievements. Who gets "Mine 100 diamonds with a Digtron"? I recall there's no ownership of Digtron nodes (which is fine, my server is about cooperation and resource sharing), so I assume every player get the achievement? Again, for my purposes it's a good thing but if you want to take it further someday, that could be an item on the list.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

texmex wrote:Players on my servers recently discovered the Digtron and having a lot of fun with it (I use the craftguides progressive to hide the what they cannot craft). I was thinking about the achievements. Who gets "Mine 100 diamonds with a Digtron"?
Digtron controllers make note of the identity of the player who triggers it and the triggering player is the one who gets the credit. So if you're collaborating with someone to build a Digtron with an auto-controller to send it a thousand nodes down, make sure you're the one who actually clicks on the "execute" button in the formspec. :) If you come across someone else's Digtron and take it for a joyride you get the credit for whatever it digs as well.

This also applies to protected areas (or it should, anyway - I haven't extensively tested that part of things since most of my work is done in a single player test environment). If you run your Digtron into someone's protected zone, in theory you could have them come over and trigger the Digtron for you and it'll be allowed to dig in their areas.

I apologize, BTW, for not getting around to setting up the triggers on those achievements correctly to show progress bars. I've tested them and they trigger when you reach the milestones but there's some extra coding hoops I needed to jump through to make them show "50% of the way to this goal" indicators and I just remembered that I didn't get around to it. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can get that fixed.

I imagine it must be an interesting challenge figuring out how a Digtron works when you have to experiment to build the parts and don't know all the recipes. :)

texmex

by texmex » Post

FaceDeer wrote:Digtron controllers make note of the identity of the player who triggers it and the triggering player is the one who gets the credit.
That's is good and how I'd like it to be. Thank you!
FaceDeer wrote:I apologize, BTW, for not getting around to setting up the triggers on those achievements correctly to show progress bars. I've tested them and they trigger when you reach the milestones but there's some extra coding hoops I needed to jump through to make them show "50% of the way to this goal" indicators and I just remembered that I didn't get around to it. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can get that fixed.
No hurries! For me this detail is not that important.
FaceDeer wrote:I imagine it must be an interesting challenge figuring out how a Digtron works when you have to experiment to build the parts and don't know all the recipes. :)
Indeed, they have to be persistent. The audio and textual feedback from the digtron is very helpful once they have figured out the parts. In my opinion regular craft guides ruins the game in that it fully declares everything that can be crafted, right from the start.

FaceDeer

by FaceDeer » Post

texmex wrote: No hurries! For me this detail is not that important.
Good to hear, given I still haven't got around to looking into it. :) I've been spending almost all my spare time for the past couple of weeks working on a big mapgen project, I'm hoping it'll have finally reached a state where I can post it here on WIP Mods by this weekend.

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Is my memory going to pieces or was it originally texmex there in the OP title?

I hope this is not considered a shitpost BTW.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Digtron got a thorough review by Nathan Salapat recently, check it out!

FaceDeer, this is probably the closest to a full user test a MT modder will get. :)

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Nice! I hope this mod is not from minecraft?

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Not as far as I know.