[Mod] lib_node_shapes [lib_node_shapes]

ShadMOrdre

[Mod] lib_node_shapes [lib_node_shapes]

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Introducing lib_node_shapes.

This mod provides a multitude of nodebox shapes that can be applied to most "material" type nodes, (stone, metal, tree, wood, and glass). Among the shapes included are columns, walls, fences, gates, doors, furniture, trees, religious symbols, lights, and various other general shapes. Shapes are broken into individual mods within the modpack, so users can easily browse and experiment with limited shapes installed. This is useful if users play with many mods.

Doors, gates, lights and chairs work as expected, with the exception that doors and gates are currently not lockable.

There are currently shapes included that are commented out in the code, to also provide a limit to the number of nodes that are or can be generated. As such, a template is provided that allows an easy to use way to quickly adding additional node box shapes.

To use a given shape, simply place the shape node in the center of the craft grid, and place the "materials" node directly below, in the center of the bottom row. Shape nodes are the nodes in inventory with the red, green, and blue dots. A materials node is any stone, metal, tree, wood, or glass node. Note that not all materials from a given mod may be present.

RECIPES:
Shapes: (These are not yet implemented, but would simply use the blueprint craftitems in various combinations)
EXAMPLE below shows how one might craft a door blueprint. Again, this does not yet work.

Code: Select all

'blueprint', 'blueprint, ''
Nodes:

'', '', ''
'', shape_node, ''
'', materials_node, ''
ISSUES:
Craft Recipes are not yet implemented for the various shapes. Top Priority.
Doors do not yet lock
Slabs do not yet work like default slabs.
WARNING **
Fully enabled, this modpack can generate over 10,000 nodes with default, darkage, ethereal, moreblocks, moreores mods enabled. As such, some shapes are commented out in code for the time being.

DEPENDENCIES:
None
OPTIONAL: (can be added/subtracted at will, nothing is hardcoded)
darkage
ethereal
moreblocks

License on code is LGPL2.1.
License on graphics is CC-BY-SA. (May be willing to negotiate this)

SCREENSHOTS:

DOWNLOAD: (github link might need fixed)
https://github.com/ShadMOrdre/Minetest/ ... lib_shapes
Attachments
screenshot_20170216_210024.png
screenshot_20170216_210024.png (268.73 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
screenshot_20170216_205957.png
screenshot_20170216_205957.png (598.12 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
screenshot_20170216_210115.png
screenshot_20170216_210115.png (567.78 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
Last edited by ShadMOrdre on Fri Feb 24, 2017 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

burli

Re: [Mod] lib_node_shapes [lib_node_shapes]

by burli » Post

Interesting. Will try tomorrow

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

burli wrote:Interesting. Will try tomorrow
oh boy oh boy oh boy.... more cool nodes! :D
In my book, one can never have..... tumeni nodes :P
Gonna be tryin these out this weekend
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

jungle objects looks very nice, good job!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

burli

by burli » Post

Maybe you should explain how it works because I don't know how to apply a texture to a node

burli

by burli » Post

And I have an issue with steps basic 01 (solid). In some positions on the first and third step I can't jump

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

burli wrote:Maybe you should explain how it works because I don't know how to apply a texture to a node
Thanks for pointing this out. How could I forget craft recipes? I edited the topic post to provide more info.

At the moment, the craft recipes for the shapes themselves are not implemented, but you can craft ALL of the shaped nodes simply by placing the shape in the center of the craft grid, and the material node below.

burli wrote:And I have an issue with steps basic 01 (solid). In some positions on the first and third step I can't jump
Are you sure you have 2 meters of clearance? Can you provide a screenshot?

TumeniNodes wrote: oh boy oh boy oh boy.... more cool nodes! :D
In my book, one can never have..... tumeni nodes :P
When I fully enabled all shapes, using default, castles, caverealms, columnia, darkage, ethereal, moreblocks, moreores, and mesecons, I quickly found the opposite (12,000 +). Culling from just the mods above gave me around 125 usable materials. So for each shape the mod generates 125 shaped nodes. With 74 shapes currently enabled, well....

While the server served them up, I found my clients would crash if the total node count exceeded 10,000. Leaving room for the mods I use, I had to trim this down to around 8500 nodes that are provided by this mod, and the 1200-1400 that are created by all my other mods.

The server is a single CPU Xeon quadcore with 8GB ram, while the clients are 2 Dell Inspiron core2duo laptops and an eMachine ??? (LOW end). The laptops have built in Intel945 graphics and 2GB ram, the eMachine has an AMD k125 with Geode graphics. Maybe this is my issue:)

I would LOVE to know if higher end machines hit this barrier, while using this mod.
azekill_DIABLO wrote:jungle objects looks very nice, good job!
I would like to be able to create these shapes for all the textures that a node provides. In the course of coding all this, I stumbled across various combinations that made me drool. Each tree provides 2 textures that can be used, giving more variability. In addition, I want to look into combining textures from different materials into frames, tiles, and such, adding yet 1000s more nodes.

Thanks for the compliments, critiques, and recommendations. Please keep them coming.

burli

by burli » Post

I think the jump issue is caused by the engine. It happens if the player is still in the air because of his collision box.

Tried it with normal dirt. Same issue.

Edit: but the shape + material recipe doesn't work. Don't get any output
Attachments
screenshot_20170224_183020.jpg
screenshot_20170224_183020.jpg (213.61 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
screenshot_20170224_182953.jpg
screenshot_20170224_182953.jpg (196.64 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
screenshot_20170224_182947.jpg
screenshot_20170224_182947.jpg (184.63 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

burli,

I confirmed your findings. There appear to be inconsistent spots. Or not so inconsistent. If you step from one collision box to another at a different height, but have not yet been subjected to the physics that should cause you to fall, you will also be unable to jump. This would appear to be physics issue, thus engine related. I'll see what the devs have to say.

I tested this with default stairs, and if you are standing on the edge of the step, you are also affected.

The red stairs are from this mod, the grey stairs are default.
Also, a couple of screenshots of inventory, and how to craft.

Attachments
screenshot_20170224_122409.png
screenshot_20170224_122409.png (556.85 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
screenshot_20170224_122345.png
screenshot_20170224_122345.png (481.33 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
screenshot_20170224_122453.png
screenshot_20170224_122453.png (528.11 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

bell07
GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Post

Pls. add the next patch to the lib_node_shapes and update the smart_inventory to the latest git ;)
I will optimize the "material outcome" view in further. PS: The crafting trash is on place now ;)

diff --git a/mods/modpack_lib_shapes/lib_node_shapes/init.lua b/mods/modpack_lib_shapes/lib_node_shapes/init.lua
index 7dd4e2e..1b7eb8d 100644
--- a/mods/modpack_lib_shapes/lib_node_shapes/init.lua
+++ b/mods/modpack_lib_shapes/lib_node_shapes/init.lua
@@ -360,6 +360,8 @@ lib_node_shapes.register_shaped_nodes =  function(shape_name, shape_def)
                        walkable = true,
                        groups = new_node_groups,
                        sounds = node_def.sounds,
+                       base_material = def.name,
+                       shape_type = shape_name,

on_place = function(itemstack, placer, pointed_thing)
                                if pointed_thing.type ~= "node" then

EDIT: if I enable lib_node_shapes and moreblocks at the same time (in minetest_game, without smart_inventory or any other additional mods) I get filled my console by

2017-02-25 12:39:23: WARNING[Server]: active block modifiers took 273ms (longer than 200ms)
2017-02-25 12:39:27: WARNING[Server]: active block modifiers took 231ms (longer than 200ms)
2017-02-25 12:39:31: WARNING[Server]: active block modifiers took 284ms (longer than 200ms)
Please check which block modifiers does impact the performance. A "New nodes" mod should not have any abm's.
But I asume it's not yours but the moreblocks/stairsplus's conversion abm's. I see your mod overrides all nodes of stairsplus. So please check if you need more adjustments to avoid this abm's torment.
Attachments
screenshot_20170225_112725.png
screenshot_20170225_112725.png (664.56 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
screenshot_20170225_112714.png
screenshot_20170225_112714.png (774.29 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

bell07,

I've added the patch that you requested. And yes, I need to update my smart_inventory to the latest git :D

As for the ABMs, I use none. If I create a world with just moreblocks and lib_node_shapes, I do not see the ABM messages.

I use MT v0415 stable. I can't really say which version of moreblocks, but it was one of the first mods I dl'd and don't know if I've ever updated it. That's been about 2 years ago by now.

Maybe the debug level is different, and you get messages that I may have disabled...?

bell07

by bell07 » Post

I need to update
I dl'd and don't know if I've ever updated it.
okok, i uploaded it, maybe this is usefull for you :-) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16772

About the ABM messages, I use v0415 too. Maybe just my computer is slower, 231ms (longer than 200ms) is not a big difference. My guess was the moreblocks does something unexpected because of your redefinition, so as hint. For me it does not care since I do not use moreblocks anymore. But if you would support the moreblocks compatibility (asumption because of defined optional dependency) you need to find the reason for such site effects.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Oh, I see you used already shape_type in the mod before my proposal. With the same name oO. That can be used and generate beter classification. Please apply in addition the next patch to get the shape_type used ;-)

diff --git a/mods/modpack_lib_shapes/lib_node_shapes/init.lua b/mods/modpack_lib_shapes/lib_node_shapes/init.lua
index 8db4547..9ad9dcf 100644
--- a/mods/modpack_lib_shapes/lib_node_shapes/init.lua
+++ b/mods/modpack_lib_shapes/lib_node_shapes/init.lua
@@ -361,7 +361,7 @@ lib_node_shapes.register_shaped_nodes =  function(shape_name, shape_def)
                        groups = new_node_groups,
                        sounds = node_def.sounds,
                        base_material = def.name,
-                       shape_type = shape_name,
+                       shape_type = shape_def.shape_type or shape_name,

D00Med
GitHub: D00Med

by D00Med » Post

Well this looks cool :D
I will try it out.
Look! I have a signature :]
My subgame: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14051#p207242

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Forgotten to say, I am unhappy to shape_type = "basic". Maybe you can change it to something more specific like"bed", "stair", "wall"?

nightly EDIT: can you please have a look to my copy (fork) on github and test the changes in branch "pr_modutils" if the changes are ok for you? https://github.com/bell07/minetest-Shad ... r_modutils So I will take a pull request.

I replaced the detection of valid template nodes by my implementation from carpets mod with some adjustments. So please test if the selection is ok now for your preferred mods.

The new implementation utilize the depends.txt files, that means you need just add an other mod to the depends.txt file and the nodes will be used. The file in lib_node_shapes is valid for all shapes. The depends.txt in the shapes mod folder is valid for this shape only. As example, if I define "plastic?" in /lib_shapes_walls/depends.txt I get plastic-walls, but no other plastic shapes. If I add it to lib_node_shapes/depends.txt I get all plastic shapes.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

This looks interesting. I can see much value in this when building a subgame from the ground up. Not with the full set of shapes of course, but with a useful subset according to the needs of the specific game type and style. If I choose a subset of say 6 shapes I can imagine a modified crafting formspec with buttons for each shape, eliminating the need for blueprints.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

texmex,

The real meat of this modpack is the lib_shapes mod. It does all the hard work. I've considered a formspec, just for the shapes, but have not had time to figure out the formspecs code.

After using this mod for the last few months, I've considered breaking it apart. With just the dependency on default, I generate around 2500 nodes, and only use around 20-50 of them.

I'm currently working on separating each of the shape libraries into seperate mods, simply because I really don't use most of the materials that are available to generate the various shaped nodes.

However, I still see value in this modpack, (specifically, the lib_shapes mod where the real meat of this mod lives), and what it can provide to a custom game, or even to MT game.

If you are familiar with formspecs, please, see what you can do for this mod, as it would greatly benefit future development. The mod is on git, and I'll honor pull requests for additional shapes, texture masks, and, of course, code changes. I really like the idea of a formspec, and I know the code itself could probably be more efficient. I'm also interested in using a generic container node whose tiles and nodebox properties can be changed on demand during runtime.

Thanks for your interest.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:I'm currently working on separating each of the shape libraries into seperate mods, simply because I really don't use most of the materials that are available to generate the various shaped nodes.
Yes, this modularization sounds great for subgame developers. I would only use a few basic shapes myself.
ShadMOrdre wrote:If you are familiar with formspecs, please, see what you can do for this mod, as it would greatly benefit future development. The mod is on git, and I'll honor pull requests for additional shapes, texture masks, and, of course, code changes. I really like the idea of a formspec, and I know the code itself could probably be more efficient.
It's hard to modify stuff in default inventory from another mod I've noticed, but I'll think about it. For a game I'm thinking of I'm considering crafting, so blueprints wouldn't necessarily be needed.
ShadMOrdre wrote:I'm also interested in using a generic container node whose tiles and nodebox properties can be changed on demand during runtime.
I believe in the player getting all nodes from the same source, but I'd be interesting to see. What would happen to the cost of crafting though?

bell07

by bell07 » Post

@ShadMOrdre please have a look to the last change in my customnode mod. What do you think about porting the lib_shapes to customnode tasks? If I look trough the code the register_shape() needs to be enhanced for customnode.register_task() and all generation things could be moved to an custom customnode mod, with usage of depends.txt instead of hard-coded

if string.find(node_mod, "default") or string.find(node_mod, "darkage") or string.find(node_mod, "ethereal") or string.find(node_mod, "moreblocks") or string.find(node_mod, "moreores") or string.find(node_mod, "columnia") or string.find(node_mod, "cottages") or string.find(node_mod, "xdecor") then

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

bell07,

I've reworked the shapes part of this mod into a standalone lib_shapes mod. lib_shapes is far more lean, and might be a better candidate for what you propose.

This, lib_node_shapes, is a beast. The logic for determining which nodes to provide shapes for was rather rudimentary, and provided so many node definitions, that it would crash my systems more often than not.

The reworking into lib_shapes is with the intention of providing a more game oriented play value, as yet to be determined. I intend to move the logic for defining materials into a different mod, lib_materials, so as to better encapsulate materials definitions. Most of the logic will be rewritten, taking advantage of my growth within Lua and the Lua API, as provided by minetest.

Please let me know if the newer mod is better suited to your suggestion, or if this mod provides better accomadation. If you still feel that this mod is a better choice, I'll need to make some major updates to it's logic, to help better define it's materials, remove the hard coded dependencies and such.

Thanks for your continued interest.

Shad
Last edited by ShadMOrdre on Sat Jan 20, 2018 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

That is great news! This way I can just implement lib_shapes support to customnode.
The customnode provides 2x different nodes-lists, the first is analyzing the textures files and create new nodes by texture, the second is "the beast" analyzing already registered nodes in other mods. I do not know the lib_materials but I suspect another approach so customnode and lib_materials can coexists to use the shapes