[Mod] Static Spawnpoint [spawnpoint]

octacian
GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

[Mod] Static Spawnpoint [spawnpoint]

by octacian » Post

Static Spawnpoint [spawnpoint] This is a rather simple mod introducing two commands to set a static spawnpoint and to teleport to it. Yes, I know you can set this in minetest.conf, however, doing so causes the spawnpoint to be the same across all of your worlds (very inconvenient). Instead of using minetest.conf, this mod stores the spawnpoint (and other settings) within the world directory itself. This allows each and every world to have a different spawnpoint and configuration.

The most unique thing about this spawn mod is that it includes a feature allowing you to set the time between executing the command until the player is actually teleported. You can also enable a setting which causes the teleportation to be interrupted if the player moves within the original time.

Commands

/spawnpoint: Display spawnpoint position if set
/spawn <player>: Teleports you or the player specified to the spawnpoint (requires spawn privilege, and bring privilege to teleport another player)
/setspawn <position>: Sets the spawn to the position specified (in format x, y, z) or to your current location (requires server privilege)

Note: If no spawnpoint is specified and a player attempts to execute /spawn, he/she will be told "No spawnpoint set!"

Configuration

The different "variables" of SpawnPoint can be configured per-world using the /spawnpoint command (requires server privilege). This command displays the spawnpoint if no parameters are provided, but when a setting name is provided, the value of the setting is returned (assuming such a setting exists). If a setting name and value is provided, the setting is changed. Valid setting names are listed below.

time: Time before teleportation is completed (if 0 teleportation is immediate)
do_not_move: Whether a player should be required to not move to allow teleportation to be successful
pos: Position in the format (<x>,<y>,<z>) - can only be set via /setspawn or manually in configuration files

This per-world configuration (including the spawn position itself) is stored in the world directory. If Minetest 0.4.16's new modstorage is available, SpawnPoint will use that to store configuration. Otherwise, configuration will be handled by the Minetest Settings API and placed in a spawnpoint.conf file. If you would like to configure SpawnPoint manually, create a spawnpoint.conf file in the world directory and assign values to the applicable settings as documented above, each setting on a new line in the format setting_name = setting_value.

Initially, SpawnPoint stored all settings in a multi-line spawnpoint.conf file, however, this made very little sense as setting weren't named. With the new configuration scheme as documented above, compatibility code has been implemented causing all the old settings to be imported into the newest format possible. When the formatted settings method is used with spawnpoint.conf, all configuration is automatically imported to Minetest modstorage as well when it becomes available. After importing takes place from spawnpoint.conf, the file is removed.

Screenshot was taken at spawn on the awesome HOMETOWN server!
Last edited by octacian on Sun Jul 02, 2017 19:17, edited 4 times in total.
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Mod] Static Spawnpoint [spawnpoint]

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Just perfect
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

octacian

by octacian » Post

Update!

SpawnPoint has now undergone heavy testing and is stable for use anywhere. You can now configure the mod per-world using the /spawnpoint chatcommand if you have the server privilege (see OP). The do not move function has been improved so that the position is not just checked every second but instead using a global step to update immediately.

Note: The ability to configure SpawnPoint in minetest.conf has been removed for simplicity of code. However, if enough people find this feature important, I will consider adding it back.
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

That header image... seems familiar... :3

harmony
IRC: ynomrah
In-game: ynomrah

by harmony » Post

muhdnurhidayat wrote:That header image... seems familiar... :3
It's for Hometown :D
저는 방탄소년단 를 사랑해요!!! 아미!! 김남준,김석진,민윤기,정호석,박지민,김태형,전정국,방탄소년단!
저는 블랙핑크 를 사랑해요!!! 블링크!! 김지수,김제니,박채영,리사(ปราณ ปริ ยา มโน บาล)

octacian

by octacian » Post

Update!

octacian

by octacian » Post

Update!
  • New save formats now supported (Key-value settings and Minetest 0.4.16's modstorage)
  • Compatibility to import old settings formats to new formats as they become available
  • General cleanup of code style
  • Use built-in vector functions to process positions
See the original post for in-depth information.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Why not fixing this right in the engine? This seems like an engine bug to me.
I think many more settings need to become mapgen settings and saved with the map. static_spawn_point is one of them.

octacian

by octacian » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Why not fixing this right in the engine? This seems like an engine bug to me.
I think many more settings need to become mapgen settings and saved with the map. static_spawn_point is one of them.
I hadn't considered that. Definitely not a bug, could be a good feature request though. I'll open an issue or PR soon. Maybe a static_spawn_point setting in world.mt. Could even expand to allow easily setting a per-player spawnpoint with something like "player:set_spawn". This would eliminate the need to check for mods such as beds on_respawnplayer, etc...

Whatever happens, some features of this mod like time and do_not_move would have to stay in a mod most likely. I expect that /spawn and /setspawn would be implemented in the engine at the same time if static spawnpoints were improves.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Great mod!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Great mod!
agreed, +1
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

R-One

by R-One » Post

hi, the setspawn command makes an error under minetest 0.4.17.1
Spoiler
2018-07-05 12:30:09: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'spawnpoint' in callback on_chat_message(): ...\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\spawnpoint\init.lua:120: bad argument #2 to 'set_float' (number expected, got nil)
2018-07-05 12:30:09: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2018-07-05 12:30:09: ERROR[Main]: [C]: in function 'set_float'
2018-07-05 12:30:09: ERROR[Main]: ...\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\spawnpoint\init.lua:120: in function 'save'
2018-07-05 12:30:09: ERROR[Main]: ...\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\spawnpoint\init.lua:149: in function 'set'
2018-07-05 12:30:09: ERROR[Main]: ...\minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\mods\spawnpoint\init.lua:270: in function 'func'
2018-07-05 12:30:09: ERROR[Main]: ...test-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\chatcommands.lua:30: in function <...test-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\chatcommands.lua:9>
2018-07-05 12:30:09: ERROR[Main]: ...minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:420: in function <...minetest-0.4.17.1-win64\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:400>
- EDIT :
ok i managed to run the mod under 0.4.17.1, for that i created the spawnpoint.conf file in the world folder.

I restarted the game, and obviously the mod has created the mod_storage folder and deleted the spawnpoint.conf file since everything works.

A possible issue to investigate for new installations.

octacian

by octacian » Post

Thanks for bringing my attention to this!

I won't be able to take a look for a few weeks - I'm really busy with some things. As soon as I have time though, I'll try to take a look. In the meantime, it's good to hear you were able to get it working.

Just FYI, the fix should actually be quite simple. A few lines at most. I may even be able to do it right away, with that in mind.

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

I also had this error
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

I have the solution.
When you replace all "storage" to "mod_storage" the mod should work
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Miniontoby wrote:I have the solution.
When you replace all "storage" to "mod_storage" the mod should work
Or just update the mod and get the fix that was merged

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

How to use this mod for a "spawn" spawnpoint (so that it is that when you join the first time (or be killed) you spawn at the spawnpoint that I have set in the "spawnpoint.conf")
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Baaaz
In-game: Baaaz

by Baaaz » Post

Hello here what happened when launching a map with that mod :
"
ModError : Error loading mod "spawnpoint-master". Mod name does not follow naming conventions. Only characters [a-z0-9_] are allowed. Check debug.txt for details.
"

Seems like the name of the mode is ok... And I can't find any "debug.txt"

Thanks

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

@Baaaz rename the mod folder to `spawnpoint`. This mod was made for an older Minetest version so it may not work anyway though, not sure