[mod] Realtime Elevators [elevator]

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

Re: [mod] Realtime Elevators [elevator]

by parasite » Post

sorcerykid wrote:This looks like a very promising mod :) I am seriously considering adapting this for use on JT2.

I'd long been debating whether to install travelnet elevators, but they have the disadvantage (as parasite mentioned), that users can instantly teleport to any height or depth in the world, which offers no challenge whatsoever. This might be just the solution I need. Thanks!
Hi!
If you are considering adding this great mod you will need to deal with bugs mentioned above, especially those with inactivity/motor replace. But I do not know how it act in a multiplayer (does this bug show up after server restart?). But at least one person above had some suggestion about what is the reason and what can be the cure for this. And as I remember in travelnet mods, player need at least two of elevators. Can`t just teleport whenever she or he wants. So first he or she need to go by own feet to some place high to put there lift-station to be able in future go there by elevator from lower place. But even that it is just easy anyway, not so cool like real elevator :)
Last edited by parasite on Tue Dec 26, 2017 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

parasite wrote:I have just two questions:
A) why all stops/floors have some additional, default name except those given by the player?
B) what will happened when in the same time, in one shaft, a few players enter the elevators on different floors and start useing it in such that some will be going down, and some of them will be going up? (I guess, nothing wrong should happens, like carts do not crash when meet each other during rid on the same track, but I had no opportunity to test it in singleplayer).
A) The default labels represent the height of the floors.

B) The first person to select a floor gets to use it, all other players are ejected one block outside the elevator doors. Everyone else must wait for the first player's ride to finish before they can interact with the elevator.

parasite

by parasite » Post

Hi!
Thanks for reply!
AccidentallyRhine wrote: A) The default labels represent the height of the floors.
I noticed that. But why this label is still present after renaming by a player? I do not think all players want to have such labels there.
AccidentallyRhine wrote: B) The first person to select a floor gets to use it, all other players are ejected one block outside the elevator doors. Everyone else must wait for the first player's ride to finish before they can interact with the elevator.
Oh, that sounds interesting! This make it more realistic and also more funny: whoever first will be able to ride on!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Actually, the bug that I reported earlier doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. But, you might want to test it out yourself to see if its a problem after restarting.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

parasite

by parasite » Post

Hi!
v-rob wrote:Actually, the bug that I reported earlier doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. But, you might want to test it out yourself to see if its a problem after restarting.
Actually, the bug with minetest not "remembering" where are located motor and elevator stops seems to be still a problem. I tested it and the mod failed after logoff. With new login player need to destroy old and place new motor to "unlock" data about motor and elevator coordinates. :( Sugested code changes do not work either :(( Come on, this is awesome mod, lets try another fix...

What I see is that the mod is creating two files in the 'world' folder:
- elevator
- elevator.tmp

Both are just simple text files but 'elevator.tmp' contain all the important data and 'elevator' just a few. When I copy the content of 'elevator.tmp' to the 'elevator' file, I do not need to replace motor after joining the game: evrything seems to be all right (if I will make new elevator in game I will need to copy one file into another again I guess).

shacknetisp
GitHub: linewriter1024
IRC: behalebabo
In-game: beha

by shacknetisp » Post

This problem of renaming is fixed now; saving will no longer use temporary files and will use mod storage instead of files when possible. I also merged the label fix PR.

parasite

by parasite » Post

shacknetisp wrote:This problem of renaming is fixed now; saving will no longer use temporary files and will use mod storage instead of files when possible. I also merged the label fix PR.
Oh I just found your post after few month :O But that is not important. Important is to say thanks to you. So, thanks a lot! That is great update, fantastic fix. This time elevators works as they should! Great job! It is also nice to see this mod on servers :)))

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I found this mod by accident while searching on YouTube for another mod, I've added it to my server and really enjoy it.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

I like this really, because it work very well
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Merak

[elevator] How to use?

by Merak » Post

How do you build them and use this?
The wiki at the source code repository is activated, but it is empty.
I tried it, but the elevetor shafts aren't stacking vertically, to begin with.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Put elevator platforms down where you want to exit/enter.
Put elevator shafts where you want the elevator to travel.
Put a motor node on top.
They work fine in my game and in multiplayer. Although its been reported that lag can cause players to go flying into the deep or into the sky if the server gets a bad lag spike. I haven't witnesses this myself yet but I trust the report. Its still a fun mod.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

T6C
In-game: T6C

by T6C » Post

I saw a few YouTube videos of this mod, and it looks fantastic! I installed it, but I'm confused about how to use it. I get the basic steps
  • Place elevator platforms/destinations.
  • Place elevator shaft to connect the destinations.
  • Place motor atop the shaft.
But in the Crafting Guide, there are two nodes called "elevator." What's the difference?
search results for "elevator" in crafting guide
search results for "elevator" in crafting guide
elevators.png (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
(Also, if anyone knows, how do I get the pictures to show up in the post, and not as links? Do I have to have it hosted elsewhere? If so, where's a good place to host them?)

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

T6C wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 00:43
I saw a few YouTube videos of this mod, and it looks fantastic! I installed it, but I'm confused about how to use it. I get the basic steps
  • Place elevator platforms/destinations.
  • Place elevator shaft to connect the destinations.
  • Place motor atop the shaft.
But in the Crafting Guide, there are two nodes called "elevator." What's the difference?elevators.png

(Also, if anyone knows, how do I get the pictures to show up in the post, and not as links? Do I have to have it hosted elsewhere? If so, where's a good place to host them?)
Use the one with white at bottom, the other one is if the elevator is in use

Do

Code: Select all

[img]link to picture(by you: https://forum.minetest.net/download/file.php?id=22663)[/img]

T6C

by T6C » Post

I finally have some (i.e., a very small amount of) mese, but don't have any diamond yet. When I find some diamond, I'll give this a shot. If it works like it did in those YouTube videos, this mod is a game-changer for mining operations and buildings like skyscrapers! Is there a limit to how many destinations can be in a given shaft? Say I build a 100 storey high-rise. Could I put an elevator stop on every floor?

T6C

by T6C » Post

Getting the following error in the log since the update to v5.4.0.

WARNING[SERVER]: Call to deprecated function 'getpos', please use 'get_pos' at /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/elevator/helpers.lua:10
Also, the elevator car isn't showing up in the craft guide anymore. Only the elevator motor and elevator shaft are there now.

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

T6C wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 01:20
Getting the following error in the log since the update to v5.4.0.

WARNING[SERVER]: Call to deprecated function 'getpos', please use 'get_pos' at /home/minetest/.minetest/mods/elevator/helpers.lua:10
Also, the elevator car isn't showing up in the craft guide anymore. Only the elevator motor and elevator shaft are there now.
I will debug it and will make an pull_request.

shacknetisp

by shacknetisp » Post

Deprecated function usage has been fixed, and so has the elevator not showing up in the craft guide.
A helper function to slow down when nearing the destination to prevent flying off into the void when detaching has also been merged, with settings to control the slowdown.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

How do I set the speed? I built a simple elevator with three stops in a 20m travel, and it takes a very long time to travel that distance. It'll get from the bottom to the middle stop in 3 or 4 seconds, but then it suddenly slows WAY down as it passes the middle stop and continues at that pace for the rest of trip, taking around 25s to travel from the middle to the top.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

shacknetisp

by shacknetisp » Post

Use elevator_slow_speed_factor = 0.5 to set the slow speed to half the normal speed, adjusting the value as desired.

elevator_slow_dist adjusts when the slow speed kicks in, and you can disable slowing entirely with elevator_slow_dist = 0.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Disabling slowing-down did the trick. Thanks. :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

T6C

by T6C » Post

Just installed this mod using the content browser in the game (v5.4.1), and when I try to start a world, it crashes with this message. Image
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-11-06 22-51-53.png
Screenshot from 2021-11-06 22-51-53.png (78.49 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

T6C

by T6C » Post

I haven't looked too deeply into it, but I might have found something useful. When added via the in-game "web content" screen, the folder created in ~/.minetest/mods is realtime-elevator. However, when added via git clone, the folder name is just elevator.

Adding the mod using git clone works fine. Adding via the in-game content screen causes the world to fail while loading.

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

T6C wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 19:41
I haven't looked too deeply into it, but I might have found something useful. When added via the in-game "web content" screen, the folder created in ~/.minetest/mods is realtime-elevator. However, when added via git clone, the folder name is just elevator.

Adding the mod using git clone works fine. Adding via the in-game content screen causes the world to fail while loading.
When specifying the name of the mod in the mod.conf it wont have any issues (so change the code and make PR)

T6C

by T6C » Post

Miniontoby wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 19:07
When specifying the name of the mod in the mod.conf it wont have any issues (so change the code and make PR)
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. I have to change the mod.conf file for everyone by making a pull request?

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

I mean mod is going to be loaded with the name specified in the mod.conf file, so if you name that thing elevator then whereever you download you will have load_mod_elevator

edit: i didnt see the image last time, but yeah just edit the mod.conf file for your ow and rename the folder and you should be able to play