Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

Post Reply
User avatar
ThomasMonroe
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 16:21
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
Location: Wherever I am at

Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by ThomasMonroe » Post

hi guys, i am working on a BIG project here
I am trying to make an actual Redstone clone, now never having played MC myself this is going to be interesting. :)
i want and need your input and as much contribution as i can get from this awesome community of modders.
The Github repository is here:
https://github.com/ThomasMonroe314/Rubystone.git
please leave comments, suggestions, tips, and bad puns :) down below
let the stoning begin :)
Projects|:*sigh* school: :Qub³d: :Legends Of Survival: :making people think:
I don't make things messy, I just *cough* disturb the local entropy.

User avatar
DS-minetest
Member
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:49
GitHub: Desour
IRC: DS-minetest
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by DS-minetest » Post

Will this be also for MCL2?
Note that I've recently renamed myself on github and co. to "Desour". (I'm bad at naming things.)
Feel free to call me DS.

User avatar
ThomasMonroe
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 16:21
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
Location: Wherever I am at

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by ThomasMonroe » Post

idk , maybe eventually, but first i want to get it working for regular MT, so i know it works
Projects|:*sigh* school: :Qub³d: :Legends Of Survival: :making people think:
I don't make things messy, I just *cough* disturb the local entropy.

User avatar
Bu_Gee
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:47
GitHub: Bu-Gee
In-game: Bu_Gee

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by Bu_Gee » Post

I don't know how much code I will be able to contribute, but I can do testing and to a limited degree, some debugging.

As soon as you have something workable, I'd like to do a let's play series on it to try and do some of the automation people do on MC.

User avatar
texmex
Member
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 21:08
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by texmex » Post

Cool! Will follow this closely.
Mods | Support Mesehub: bc1qluuests9rxmlnvpjrhsnyjg9ucwy6z3r0y3srw

User avatar
Wuzzy
Member
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:01
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by Wuzzy » Post

Why not MineClone 2 by default? Or any Minecraft-like subgame, for that matter?

Minetest Game seems to be a poor choice because it lacks the items of Minecraft. Unless you don't actually want to make a direct redstone clone, then it's OK.
Minetest Game is NOT the “regular” Minetest and will never be. There is nothing special about Minetest Game and does not deserve any treatment. Minetest Game has WAY too much undeserved attention IMO, it is NOT a good game. It only happens to be developed partially by the same developers of Minetest, but that is hardly special.
I would have nothing against cross-subgame support, however. :-)
If you can write your mod in a way that is NOT strongly couple with Minetest Game, I have no problems with Minetest Game support at all.

Keep in mind your mod may suffer from NIH, at least partially. In MineClone 2 there already is:

- Redstone
- Dispenser
- Dropper
- Redstone Repeater
- Block of Redstone
- Button
- Pressure Plate

Redstone torch and lever are still WIP, and the observer and redstone comporator are missing.

Most of the code is mostly reused from Mesecons, but the dispenser and dropper are new. Each of those 2 blocks took me 1 day each. The redstone repeater is based on the delayer from mesecons, but has been heavily changed already.

Are you sure you want to write all of this code from scratch? (I would appreciate seeing an implementation of the missing blocks, however :-))
The biggest missing link in MCL2 is currently the redstone itself. The redstone exists, of course, but most notably, the redstone rules and the limited redstone distance (it goes of after 15 nodes or so) don't work yet. But I am sure some of the code of the redstone elements can be re-used for a large part. This is also the reason why MCL2 still doesn't have a redstone comporator.

NOTE: I do NOT want to discourage you of anything, however. Before I judge any further, some code would be nice. :)

I would be interested in seeing a proof of concept for your *core* architecture. The redstone wires are obviously the most important part of the mod and I would like to see how it works out.

If it looks good, I could even use it in MCL2 one day and that would be BIG important step forward.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

User avatar
Linuxdirk
Member
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:21
In-game: Linuxdirk
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by Linuxdirk » Post

ThomasMonroe wrote:I am trying to make an actual Redstone clone,
This is the second or third post about creating a Redstone clone I've seen in this forums since a few weeks.

Why not contribute to Mesecons or one of the other projects instead?

toby109tt
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 23:42
In-game: toby

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by toby109tt » Post

Why not contribute to Mesecons or one of the other projects instead?
That's a good point :)

User avatar
ThomasMonroe
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 16:21
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
Location: Wherever I am at

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by ThomasMonroe » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Why not MineClone 2 by default? Or any Minecraft-like subgame, for that matter?

Minetest Game seems to be a poor choice because it lacks the items of Minecraft. Unless you don't actually want to make a direct redstone clone, then it's OK.
Minetest Game is NOT the “regular” Minetest and will never be. There is nothing special about Minetest Game and does not deserve any treatment. Minetest Game has WAY too much undeserved attention IMO, it is NOT a good game. It only happens to be developed partially by the same developers of Minetest, but that is hardly special.
I would have nothing against cross-subgame support, however. :-)
If you can write your mod in a way that is NOT strongly couple with Minetest Game, I have no problems with Minetest Game support at all.

Keep in mind your mod may suffer from NIH, at least partially. In MineClone 2 there already is:

- Redstone
- Dispenser
- Dropper
- Redstone Repeater
- Block of Redstone
- Button
- Pressure Plate

Redstone torch and lever are still WIP, and the observer and redstone comporator are missing.

Most of the code is mostly reused from Mesecons, but the dispenser and dropper are new. Each of those 2 blocks took me 1 day each. The redstone repeater is based on the delayer from mesecons, but has been heavily changed already.

Are you sure you want to write all of this code from scratch? (I would appreciate seeing an implementation of the missing blocks, however :-))
The biggest missing link in MCL2 is currently the redstone itself. The redstone exists, of course, but most notably, the redstone rules and the limited redstone distance (it goes of after 15 nodes or so) don't work yet. But I am sure some of the code of the redstone elements can be re-used for a large part. This is also the reason why MCL2 still doesn't have a redstone comporator.

NOTE: I do NOT want to discourage you of anything, however. Before I judge any further, some code would be nice. :)

I would be interested in seeing a proof of concept for your *core* architecture. The redstone wires are obviously the most important part of the mod and I would like to see how it works out.

If it looks good, I could even use it in MCL2 one day and that would be BIG important step forward.
ok, i didnt see the redstone in mineclone, if you have those then i would be happy to compile those into a redstone clone.
however i would like it to be separate, so that ppl can use it in minetest_game.
Linuxdirk wrote:
ThomasMonroe wrote:I am trying to make an actual Redstone clone,
This is the second or third post about creating a Redstone clone I've seen in this forums since a few weeks.

Why not contribute to Mesecons or one of the other projects instead?
if you want answers to your question, look at this post:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17205
Projects|:*sigh* school: :Qub³d: :Legends Of Survival: :making people think:
I don't make things messy, I just *cough* disturb the local entropy.

User avatar
Wuzzy
Member
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:01
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by Wuzzy » Post

ok, i didnt see the redstone in mineclone, if you have those then i would be happy to compile those into a redstone clone.
however i would like it to be separate, so that ppl can use it in minetest_game.
Well, good luck then. :P

btw: It's “Minetest Game”.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
Posts: 7497
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO
Location: OMICRON
Contact:

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Wuzzy wrote: btw: It's “Minetest Game”
:D

User avatar
ThomasMonroe
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 16:21
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
Location: Wherever I am at

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by ThomasMonroe » Post

Sorry Wuzzy, but in order to build it into MCLN2 i would have to build it so that it depends on MCLN2, but i can use some of the code you have to make porting my mod into MCLN2 would not be much of a problem.
Projects|:*sigh* school: :Qub³d: :Legends Of Survival: :making people think:
I don't make things messy, I just *cough* disturb the local entropy.

Gerald
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:35
In-game: gerald7
Location: Germany

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by Gerald » Post

ThomasMonroe wrote:i know alot of people really love mesecons, but it just isnt the same as redstone as some who have played MC will find out
i am wondering if redstone would be an interesting project for the MT community to work on.
What exactly are the differences and how is the redstone approach better? I am only aware of:
  • decreasing signals
  • weird torch logic
  • wide connection through solid blocks (e.g. a button next to a door can open the door)
I think nothing out of this is nice to have.


I made a replacement for mesecons and can confirm there is no demand. I think mesecons is a better basis for your goal but maybe you can make use of my project.


By the way, the titel is a nice reference to the one of mesecons. "All redstone-mods are equal but some are more equal than others."

User avatar
DS-minetest
Member
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 19:49
GitHub: Desour
IRC: DS-minetest
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by DS-minetest » Post

Gerald wrote:weird torch logic
(Mesecons torch already has a logic.)
Note that I've recently renamed myself on github and co. to "Desour". (I'm bad at naming things.)
Feel free to call me DS.

Gerald
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:35
In-game: gerald7
Location: Germany

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by Gerald » Post

DS-minetest wrote: (Mesecons torch already has a logic.)
I know about and never used it, but i thought it is not as weird as redstone, is it?

User avatar
ThomasMonroe
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 16:21
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
Location: Wherever I am at

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by ThomasMonroe » Post

i am sorry guys but i will not be doing this mod due to certain engine features
Projects|:*sigh* school: :Qub³d: :Legends Of Survival: :making people think:
I don't make things messy, I just *cough* disturb the local entropy.

User avatar
GamingAssociation39
Member
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 16:09
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

If Wuzzy was able to do it partially then there is a way just gotta figure it out maybe you can use mesecons as a base and do an extreme edit so it becomes redstone like.
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

User avatar
ThomasMonroe
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 16:21
GitHub: ThomasMonroe314
IRC: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
In-game: ThomasMonroe TMcSquared
Location: Wherever I am at

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by ThomasMonroe » Post

well the problem it that the nodes aren't updated simultaneously so making a block swapper becomes almost impossible to do simply.
Projects|:*sigh* school: :Qub³d: :Legends Of Survival: :making people think:
I don't make things messy, I just *cough* disturb the local entropy.

User avatar
GamingAssociation39
Member
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 16:09
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

ThomasMonroe wrote:well the problem it that the nodes aren't updated simultaneously so making a block swapper becomes almost impossible to do simply.
What you do is make it as close as possible even if it's missing a couple of features it'll be fine.
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

red-001
Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 20:15
GitHub: red-001
IRC: red-001

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by red-001 » Post

Is this just a clone of mesecons right now with a few node names changed?

User avatar
GamingAssociation39
Member
Posts: 847
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 16:09
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Rubystone [Rubystone == Redstone]

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

He is trying 2 create redstone from MC in MineTest
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests