[mod] Miniclime [stable]

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [mod] Miniclime [stable]

by Stix » Post

@azekillDIABLO not sure if its relistic, but i love it because it looks like particles you'd see in the air during an apocolypse. (which is freaking awesome)
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

xD, i'll remove it, but if you wnat i can add meteor shower, here it will be apocalypse!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Update! It's nicknamed the "Wuzzy" update!

here are the fixes!
  • Rain falls very, very slowly
    >>> falls faster now
  • Thunderstorms make way too many lightnings in a short time
    >>> changed that, it was for debug, say me if there are still too much
  • Rain is very sparse even in a thunderstorm
    >>> made rain far fore dense (11 to 12 times denser, no lag)
  • No sounds
    >>> added sounds with proper licenses
  • It seems the weather does not clear
    >>> changed the system to make it way slower. There will be clear periods and rainy periods
  • Cloud color does not change
    <<< not done
  • Sky color does not change
    <<< not done
  • Weather depends on the time of day
    >>> hmm? what did you said? :D
  • No API, no callback functions, no way for mods to detect the current weather or weather changes
    < >WIP for next update
  • Hard dependency on lightning
    < > Adding an optional depedicy in next release
  • Apparently no lightweight customization options for subgames, e.g. disable sandstorm
    < > Will be added soon

BONUS: added the 'roll_weather' command (privs: settime) which allows to set the weather quality to a random value, or a defined one.

Stix

by Stix » Post

+1 this is the best weather mod out there, without the lag!

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

thanks! i'm sure it will become even better with a good tester like you.

Stix

by Stix » Post

Thx for the compliment, though im not sure if i deserve it.
Last edited by Stix on Tue Aug 08, 2017 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sandstorms in savannahs do not make sense because there is no sand in the savannah. The floor is dirt with dry grass, not sand.

I still do not like the amount of rain. I think the amount of rain in MCL2 is quite good.

The sandstorms are loud and the sound can be heard long after you have left the area. Overall, the whole sound system seems very buggy.

The /roll_weather command has an incomplete help, it needs to state all possible parameters explicitly, otherwise the help is pretty useless. There are also no error messages for failed weather changes.

Also, I have a hard time forcing a particular weather, making it hard to test other weather types.

I haven't encountered a lightning yet.

Sometimes the rain is very weird. The is a reain for a second or so, then it pauses, then the rain starts again. This looks very strange and very unnatural.

This still needs a lot of work before I even consider this mod for MCL2. So I can't promise you anything.

Stix

by Stix » Post

i think its supposed to be a dust-storm when its in a savannah, which makes sence IMO.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Stix wrote:i think its supposed to be a dust-storm when its in a savannah, which makes sence IMO.
Savannahs don't have dust-storms. If anything, they have occasional dust-devils. Deserts obviously have sand-storms - which is what it should be.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
Stix wrote:i think its supposed to be a dust-storm when its in a savannah, which makes sence IMO.
Savannahs don't have dust-storms. If anything, they have occasional dust-devils. Deserts obviously have sand-storms - which is what it should be.
okay i'll remove that!
Wuzzy wrote: I still do not like the amount of rain. I think the amount of rain in MCL2 is quite good.
>>> More or less rain? More? No problem, ya know ther's just 2 values to change.

The sandstorms are loud and the sound can be heard long after you have left the area. Overall, the whole sound system seems very buggy.
>>> If someone had think to make a proper sound API... I can change that.

The /roll_weather command has an incomplete help, it needs to state all possible parameters explicitly, otherwise the help is pretty useless. There are also no error messages for failed weather changes.
>>> Yeah, I know, the problem is that the doc misses examples...

Also, I have a hard time forcing a particular weather, making it hard to test other weather types.
>>> Actually it's just a value to change weather quality, i'll change it to a on/off switch (toggledownfall)

I haven't encountered a lightning yet.
>>> I encountered 14 during one NIGHT. It only happens during the Night!

Sometimes the rain is very weird. The is a reain for a second or so, then it pauses, then the rain starts again. This looks very strange and very unnatural.
>>> Not in this release... normally? Please tell me more

This still needs a lot of work before I even consider this mod for MCL2. So I can't promise you anything.
>>> I can't do much in one evening :D

karamel

by karamel » Post

I got bored right now. Because have spoken a little in natural slop about weather, so I read your code from master (commi e4057476762d23485d7909f41e937847bec05046 Wuzzy update). I don't have a running Mintest right now so it's all based upon the code and I haven't run it. Theses are also remarks that I was told about snowdrift.

on register_global_step, why are you using +0.1 instead of the function parameter? It is also overritten below so it's confusing. You are counting server loop instead of server time. Why not, but it's disturbing...

Checking weather force after random is useless. It already returns an int between 0 and 100 as you specified.

Your weather IS dependent of time of day. Rain, snow and sandstorm can only trigger during a given day time interval.

When you are under 0 level, you mod stops. I'm not sure but position y=0 is not really far below. Do you made this check to disable the weather underground? What about caverns on the side of a mountain?

I think it will rain in your house. It won't rain in caves because your weather seems very short living but it may be an other issue if you update the way weather starts and stops. It won't rain on beaches, but if you do it will rain in caves where there are some sand (or water depending on your check). This is I think the main issue because it's related to your design and cannot be patched or extented (or only in a way it will explode on the long term), but only replaced.

If two players are close to one other, can it trigger 2 weathers at once? At least twice more weather triggers.

It can rain and snow and stom if you stack some sand, snow and rainforest litter (probably hard to do outside creative mod). You could check for the top node that trigger something and don't run the loop far below.

Your particle spawners seems to last 0.5 seconds and are respawned on the next weather update. It's probably the reason why Wuzzy said it rains a little then stopped. It's also the reason why it will stop raining in caves. I haven't played with particle spawners yet so I may be wrong regarding the time parameter.

I don't understand the couple int/slow_timer. You have a toggle switch every 3000 loops and then you check for it every 30 loops. So your weather is sometime very unstable and sometime disabled. What is your expected algorithm for weather change? It seems very confuse.

Otherwise, it's indeed really light and performant. Most of the issues can be fixed just by enhancing a little the code. But as it is done right now (triggering weather according to a kind of node), it won't be reliable because nodes can be placed anywhere. So for me it's perfect if you want some atmosphere that work 90% of the time at almost no cost.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

karamel wrote:I got bored right now. Because have spoken a little in natural slop about weather, so I read your code from master (commi e4057476762d23485d7909f41e937847bec05046 Wuzzy update). I don't have a running Mintest right now so it's all based upon the code and I haven't run it. Theses are also remarks that I was told about snowdrift.

on register_global_step, why are you using +0.1 instead of the function parameter? It is also overritten below so it's confusing. You are counting server loop instead of server time. Why not, but it's disturbing...
>>> i will maybe change that

Checking weather force after random is useless. It already returns an int between 0 and 100 as you specified.
>>> i will check

Your weather IS dependent of time of day. Rain, snow and sandstorm can only trigger during a given day time interval.
>>> ii is made voluntarly!

Do you made this check to disable the weather underground?
>>> It's to avoid sounds of rain when too deep. WHat do you think of -12

I think it will rain in your house.
>>> no, it won't rain in your house

your weather seems very short living
>>> False, it can only change every 300 seconds (or near that value)

but if you do it will rain in caves where there are some sand (or water depending on your check).
>>> It's false too, it won't rain in cave since there's a height check and that rain don't go trough blocks

This is I think the main issue because it's related to your design and cannot be patched or extented (or only in a way it will explode on the long term), but only replaced.
>>> Why do you think it's a WIP mod? I'm making an API, look at the todo Wuzzy purposed me.

If two players are close to one other, can it trigger 2 weathers at once? At least twice more weather triggers.
>>> that one of the flow of this design, icna't really do anything about it

It can rain and snow and stom if you stack some sand, snow and rainforest litter (probably hard to do outside creative mod). You could check for the top node that trigger something and don't run the loop far below.
>>> I run the loop far below because if you fly? i could break the loop once a suitable node i found though

Your particle spawners seems to last 0.5 seconds and are respawned on the next weather update. It's probably the reason why Wuzzy said it rains a little then stopped.
>>> Since they recreate every 0.3 seconds it should be okay. The problem comes form unloaded chunks, i blocks the droplet's in air and cause "patches" of particle to fall

I don't understand the couple int/slow_timer. You have a toggle switch every 3000 loops and then you check for it every 30 loops. So your weather is sometime very unstable and sometime disabled. What is your expected algorithm for weather change? It seems very confuse.
>>> int timer is the timer for node check. slow_timer is the timer for weather change. it's not confuse.

Otherwise, it's indeed really light and performant. Most of the issues can be fixed just by enhancing a little the code. But as it is done right now (triggering weather according to a kind of node), it won't be reliable because nodes can be placed anywhere. So for me it's perfect if you want some atmosphere that work 90% of the time at almost no cost.
>>> thanks, i'll do my best to improve this mod

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

it's wierd, spawning 6000 partilces in one time seems to only cause a 1-2 fps drop.

Beerholder
GitHub: evrooije
In-game: Beerholder

by Beerholder » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
As we focused our binoculars on the ears of the cheetahs hiding in the grass, the sky became ominously dark as a fast-moving dust storm approached over the plain. Since Amboseli means “salty dust” in the Maasai language, this wasn’t at all unusual and we yanked the van roof down and closed the windows as the storm neared, lashing the vehicle with wind, rain and dust which quickly turned to dripping mud. Almost all the other vans had left for the lodges but Nathan decided to wait it out.
http://www.beautifulbotany.com/Latest/L ... al%202.htm

Not sand storms, but most definitely dust storms, just my 2 cents.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

okay. it will let it. It's sandy dust storm xD

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

is there a way I can detect what weather event is according at a node location?

I want to add rain filling barrels and snow filling barrels to my skytest mod

but I need to be able to detect if it is snowing or raining or any other event over top of the node
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote:is there a way I can detect what weather event is according at a node location?
check the code, everything is simple :D you might be able to do it easely!
I want to add rain filling barrels and snow filling barrels to my skytest mod
but I need to be able to detect if it is snowing or raining or any other event over top of the node
For this just use snowdrift mod. It does better!

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote: check the code, everything is simple :D you might be able to do it easely!
For this just use snowdrift mod. It does better!
ty!
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.