GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

[Mod] Simple, Lag-free Elevators [televator]

by octacian » Post

Simple Elevators [televator]
GitHub: octacian/televator
Download: Master (latest, stable)
License: MIT (see below for media license)

Televator allows you to create simple elevators in your worlds that work incredibly fast amidst lag and are relatively inexpensive to make. All you need to get started, is to craft an elevator (televator:elevator).

Elevator nodes can be placed a maximum of 16 nodes apart. If anything obstructs the space between or there is not 2 blocks of space for the player above the next elevator node, the elevator will not work.

Once standing on an elevator that has other elevators placed with no obstructions above or below it, you can press jump to go up to the next elevator, and sneak to go down the the previous. There are sound effects too! While standing on an elevator you cannot jump normally so as to maintain a consistent feel when ascending and descending.

Televator does not use any entities, but rather teleports the player from elevator to elevator making it suitable for servers that prefer to use only the most efficient mods. This also helps increase general performance for users with less powerful computers or mobile devices, and provides a smooth and consistent feel.

Recipe

Televator currently only supports Minetest Game items for its recipe, however, I will gladly add support for other subgames on request. If you are unable to see the picture, please try a different browser such a Chrome/Chromium.

Media License

Everything not listed here:
octacian <theoctacian@gmail.com> (CC BY-SA 3.0)

televator_whoosh.ogg (CC BY-SA 3.0):
https://opengameart.org/content/whoosh-1
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

Re: [Mod] Simple, Lag-free Elevators [televator]

by Desour » Post

Actually I don't think, it's really lag-free. It uses a globalstep that checks for each player the node below.
The indents should be made with tabs, not spaces.
Spoiler
Save on_place the position of the elevator in a table and save this table in the world folder. On load time load this table. Instead of checking for nodes beyond player you can now just check if there's an elevator on the pos.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

octacian

by octacian » Post

DS-minetest wrote:The indents should be made with tabs, not spaces.
Looks like I messed up my Atom configuration. Whoops! Fixed in latest commit.
DS-minetest wrote:
Spoiler
Save on_place the position of the elevator in a table and save this table in the world folder. On load time load this table. Instead of checking for nodes beyond player you can now just check if there's an elevator on the pos.
Is minetest.get_node(pos).name really that much slower? And unless the player presses sneak or jump with a minimum delay of 0.5 seconds in between, I only check the node directly underneath the player. The 16 nodes above/below are only checked if the node directly underneath is an elevator, the delay requirements are met, and the player is pressing the correct control. I can see that it could still be more efficient seeing as I wouldn't need to loop through the 16 nodes above/below until another elevator was found at all, I could just compare the x and z coordinates followed by checking the distance to make sure it was less than 16 nodes.

Overall though, I'm not really trying to make entirely lag-free elevators, that's impossible ATM. I'm just trying to make something that in comparison to entities, could be considered "lag-free." On the other hand, maybe I'd best just state "Minimal-lag," as "Lag-free" will unlikely ever be entirely true. A basic globalstep is still way faster than an entity though.
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, All Projects - Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)
I'm currently inactive in the Minetest community! So if I don't respond, that's why.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

good! but is it really needed?
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

mnh48
GitHub: mnh48
IRC: MNH48
In-game: mnh48

by mnh48 » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:good! but is it really needed?
There will always be mods which will be needed by others even when you think it's not needed. :)

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

you're true. sorry.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

doyousketch2
GitHub: doyousketch2
In-game: Sketch2

by doyousketch2 » Post

Why does distance have a 16 node limit?

If I change it to 32, Minetest is perfectly fine with it, as far as I can tell.
Is it just to keep the search loop low for speed?

octacian

by octacian » Post

doyousketch2 wrote:Why does distance have a 16 node limit?

If I change it to 32, Minetest is perfectly fine with it, as far as I can tell.
Is it just to keep the search loop low for speed?
Sorry for having not responded, but the reason why the distance limit is 16 is to increase the value of the elevators and to prevent them from becoming too overpowered.

Now that I think about this though, it would be neat to make it possible to upgrade elevators to cover a larger distance, with a configurable base value (and the value used for calculating upgraded distances). IMO this would best be implemented either via tier-based crafting and/or by increasing the elevator range on right-click with some upgrade material.