texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Modpack] Self Organizing Systems 0.1.1

by azekill_DIABLO » Wed Jun 07, 2017 13:43

I definitivly think this is one of the best mods ever made. AND that my processor will die of it.

Diamond knight

GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

Re: [Modpack] Self Organizing Systems

by Diamond knight » Wed Jun 07, 2017 18:52

texmex wrote:This is very impressive, Dokimi. I'm interested in ecobot especially. It gives a vision of how biomes could possibly work in the future: not only forests would grow, change and die, but different biomes could compete with each other. Plains next to deserts would slowly be taken over by the desert if not stopped by a forest, for example.

someone should make that a mod

zorman2000

GitHub: hkzorman
In-game: zorman2000

by zorman2000 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 18:58

This mod is plainly awesome! Excellent job!
The only thing I would like is to have some way to stop them... but otherwise, this is simply, great!

Dokimi

GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 23:17

zorman2000 wrote:This mod is plainly awesome! Excellent job!
The only thing I would like is to have some way to stop them... but otherwise, this is simply, great!

The doomsday devices do have a crude kill switch... go into settings, change their growth rates/lifespans etc (it has instructions in there). Essentially it makes them die before they have a chance to keep growing. Crude, but it works eventually.

Dokimi

Re: [Modpack] Self Organizing Systems

by Dokimi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 23:28

Diamond knight wrote:
texmex wrote:This is very impressive, Dokimi. I'm interested in ecobot especially. It gives a vision of how biomes could possibly work in the future: not only forests would grow, change and die, but different biomes could compete with each other. Plains next to deserts would slowly be taken over by the desert if not stopped by a forest, for example.

someone should make that a mod

...and somebody has...

I kind of got carried away modifying ecobots... and when you've added one extra species, well... it's hard to stop until you've created everything from coral reefs to swarm intelligent insects. Yes they are intelligent (although they're a bit stupid until the swarm gets big).

I'm still testing/modifying it, but I've filled out all habitable biomes, and it has a map spawner for everything so it looks good right away (sort of, it's not perfect but it gets things going).

Once I've got my swarm intelligent bots working right I'll release an update.

texmex

Dokimi

Re: [Modpack] Self Organizing Systems 0.2

by Dokimi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:20

Here it is!

0.2 has arrived!

In addition to the Doomsday stuff mentioned above the big change here is to Ecobots. 0.1 was proof of concept. 0.2 is... well... you'll just have to see for yourself. I can't even believe this stuff works.

The big features are:
- many new species
- a map spawner that fills out the whole map (no need to wait for everything to grow from scratch)
- Intelligence... well, two examples of it anyway.

(Compatibility: For those of you have used the older version of Ecobots I recommend starting a new map. It may crash on start up - try rentering values for the settings, seems they need to get refreshed. Textures may also need refreshing. And... your main tree is suddenly going to change species and look weird!)

(By the way, thanks Texmex for alerting me to the fact that Minetest had been updated... it should be compatible now, although most development was done in the older version. I almost gave you all a lemon!)

Now... I think the only way to explain Ecobots is to show it to you...

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:27

These have got to be my favorite... the Eusocial Bot.

It uses Ant-like swarm intelligence to create a nest and an army. They gather food from distant locations, build structures that enhance traffic flow, defend themselves against predators...

This whole structure started out as three nest blocks and a few dozen workers. The bots built everything else.

The ones with green on top are delivering food collected from the grass. Other fully red ones are doing construction and searching for food.
Attachments
ecobots_0.2_nest.png
(467.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:34

The second intelligent species. This one takes inspiration from fire-flies and networks.

This is harder to explain... basically they use flashes of light and small world networks to create synchronized light patterns. The bots then use this information to discover the global state of their population, discover the best feeding site within it, and congregate the entire population at that site.

The screenshot doesn't really capture it... pulses of light are moving through the whole group, extending across the entire landscape.

Attachments
ecobots_0.2_herbivore_swarm.png
(770.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38

Inside the Eusocial Bot nest

the structure gets big enough to walk around in, with some digging - they will try to kill you though!
Attachments
ecobots_0.2_nestinside.png
(208.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:40

Snow adapted forest...

Attachments
ecobots_0.2_snowforest.png
(799.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43

Desert palms, and sand grass. The grass will slowly build and erode sand dunes. I haven't tested it too much as it's rather slow, but it opens the possibility of migrating sand dunes.

Attachments
ecobots_0.2_sandpalms.png
(664.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Dokimi

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:49

Coral reefs and cliff adapted trees...

...and I think that will do! Have fun with it.
Attachments
ecobots_0.2_hillandreef.png
(938.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet

azekill_DIABLO

lisacvuk

GitHub: lisacvuk
IRC: lisac
In-game: lisacvuk

by lisacvuk » Sun Jun 25, 2017 14:04

Do you know what happened to the last people that made self-replicating intelligent robots?
They dieded.
It's lisac, not lisa.
400 character limit? Am I writing a book?
Administrator on Craig's server. Minetest player.
"The enemy pales when they see the face of Dazzle!" ~ Dazzle obviously.
I live in Serbia.
Steam | OpenDOTA
My mods:
Tool ranks
I appreciate donations in TF2 items. :)

DS-minetest

Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.
GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Sun Jun 25, 2017 15:34

There's a problem with the settings, the game crashes if the default value is set (which means that no value is set).
To see that you have to delete your set settings in minetest.conf. Oh, and the settings should have in name from which mod they come.
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

texmex

by texmex » Sun Jun 25, 2017 17:54

Came here to report the same as above. Default values can be appended simply like this (if you didn't know already):
Code: Select all
local animal_growth = minetest.settings:get('animal_growth') or 5

Also, the coral growth looks lovely!

Diamond knight

GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 05:56

texmex wrote:Came here to report the same as above. Default values can be appended simply like this (if you didn't know already):
Code: Select all
local animal_growth = minetest.settings:get('animal_growth') or 5

Also, the coral growth looks lovely!

...It's safe to assume I didn't know!

Let's just say, my coding skills have self organized through a process of random trial and error. I'm like my Eusocial Bot - I have no idea what I'm doing, but it works! Thanks guys, it should be fixed now.

No doubt all these mods could benefit from someone with actual coding skills.

I think this will be my plan for this modpack from now on:

- This will be an exploratory space. All I really want to do is push the limits of what self-organizing principles can do. That's really the only reason I made these... I find these ideas irresistibly fascinating. Once I've seen it done, I want to move on to new frontiers.

- So... once I've got things that one step up beyond proof of concept, I'm going to leave them (if I do make anything new it'll be to do with evolution, or artificial neural networks, or maybe multi-cellularity... or...or.!).

- To take these mods any further they really need attention from someone who knows how to code. A lot of it is based on subtle variations on the same basic set of rules... it should be possible to make some kind of reusable template that could be used to pump out as many species, doomsday devices, etc as people want. I however neither know how to do this, nor am I inclined to... Coding in and of itself doesn't interest me, nor does maintenance or project management. It's just not going to happen.

- Therefore, if anyone wants to make an "Ecobots Perfected" or "Doomsday Perfected" etc then let me know. I will write up some documentation that explains in detail the conceptual framework, processes etc that make this stuff work. I'm sure you'll be able to find a better way of coding this stuff. Be warned, these things can take some getting your head around. They are both very simple and very complex. Even changing a value by + or -1 can send sand dunes launching into space, or spread red ant plagues across the planet. ... yet fundamentally it is simple enough that a complete noob could program it!

If anyone wants to take one of these mods on then I'll have this page send people to the version of the mod which is actually getting maintained and improved. Anything new that does turn up here will be exploring completely new possibilities... I reckon I could make a brain!

So then... that I think is the plan

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Jun 26, 2017 15:23

Dokimi wrote:I'm like my Eusocial Bot - I have no idea what I'm doing, but it works!

awesome.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 05:08

I have added documentation explaining the broad conceptual framework for both Selfrep_Doomsday and Ecobots. They're the only ones that really needed it. I thought I better write it down while I can still remember how I done it!

Dokimi

Re: [Modpack] Self Organizing Systems 0.2.1

by Dokimi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 06:00

Updated to 0.2.1!

Two main additions:
- evolution
- things for long term stability in Ecobots.

I wanted to do a more full on mod for evolution... didn't work. Instead Ecobots now has a simple proof of concept - an evolving vine.

I've had a chance to see how Ecobots performs in the long run now. Changed a bunch of minor things to help it work long term, most noticeably to the animals. They now have various bonus skills depending on the species so they don't keep going extinct (e.g. webs to catch prey, one can hibernate if it runs out of food etc).

Also tried another type of swarm intelligence (based on fish schooling etc). It kinda works...!

Dokimi

Re: [Modpack] Self Organizing Systems 0.2.1

by Dokimi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 06:09

This is after running a forest on the fastest settings for a long time... it grows enormous. This road was ground level. It is now a tunnel several meters underground beneath giant trees.

Things do start getting a bit laggy at with this amount of growth unfortunately.

Attachments
screenshot_20180108_173503.png
(346.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Mods