[Mod] Laptop (WIP) (V. 0.41)

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

Re: [MOD] Laptop (WIP)

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

When I click on the computer then the screen is displayed but the apps are not available
Spoiler
I hate my life

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

Phoenixflo44 wrote:When I click on the computer then the screen is displayed but the apps are not available
Can you please add a screenshot/gif of what's happening?
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Phoenixflo44
In-game: EvilPhoenix

by Phoenixflo44 » Post

here
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto zu 2017-11-26 12-12-48.png
Bildschirmfoto zu 2017-11-26 12-12-48.png (681.19 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Spoiler
I hate my life

GamingAssociation39

Are you using an old version of the mod? I'll look into it ASAP

GamingAssociation39

UPDATE:
Settings App (WIP)
Updated Documentation
Small Adjustments
Disabled Demo Apps

by bell07

GamingAssociation39

Deleted

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

bell07 wrote:Primary I did work on the framework as I am not a UI-Guy.
[...]
I think the most important part is to get the launcher-app eye-candy ;-)
I've done some work on the UI, as it was lacking in my opinion. I added a red theme called R3D and a blue theme called 3lue. These themes add desktop backgrounds for the launcher app along with backgrounds for the apps. There are images for the buttons, one for the major buttons, like Save, and a button for minor ones, like Cancel. They also include textures for the monitor and laptop. The desktop backgrounds and names were made by philipbenr.

I also took the liberty of adding a computer tower and a router. The router could be needed near a computer for apps that use internet, like emails, buying/selling, and other such things. The computer tower is decoration. I also removed one monitor and replacing the remaining monitor and laptop with meshnodes taken from homedecor. The black textures for the monitor and the router textures also came from homedecor. The homedecor elements used are all licenced under WFTPL.

Lastly, I improved the notepad and settings formspecs, making it use the space in the formspec better and adding the app background.

I simply edited the latest version of the laptop mod. A zip file with the themes, new nodes, and upgraded apps can be downloaded here.
Spoiler
All nodes with 3lue theme:

All nodes with R3D theme:

Settings app with 3lue theme:

Settings app with R3D theme:

3lue desktop background:

R3D desktop background:

You've likely noticed the similarities between this and Windows 10, but it's not actually taken from it. I used Windows 10 as my base idea, but this isn't actually taken from Windows 10. Any shape or color that is the same as Windows 10 is pure coincidence.
I hope the settings app can be upgraded to change the textures of the computer node and all apps using themes in the main mod.

I want to help program, but after trying for hours to make a file manager, I gave up. But besides the things in the main post, I would like to suggest these ideas I have: Separate notepad documents that can be stored in file folders, a calculator (It's annoying to have to pause Minetest to use the calculator on my computer), and a clock with the time in game on the launcher app taskbar (probably hours and am-pm would be enough). I think these would be really useful.

As for a game, have you considered this?
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

Nice work on the mod! I love the concept of an in-game personal computer and laptop, specifically one that is not only command-line based.

I can probably help with fleshing out the GUI, and maybe developing a rudimentary file manager and task manager app as well, if I have time. I would definitely love to see this evolve into a full-fledged virtual PC. There is so much potential to extend the existing gameplay of Minetest with a project like this!

GamingAssociation39

UPDATED:
Screenshots
New (OLD) Computer by crossover

GamingAssociation39

v-rob wrote:
bell07 wrote:Primary I did work on the framework as I am not a UI-Guy.
[...]
I think the most important part is to get the launcher-app eye-candy ;-)
I've done some work on the UI, as it was lacking in my opinion. I added a red theme called R3D and a blue theme called 3lue. These themes add desktop backgrounds for the launcher app along with backgrounds for the apps. There are images for the buttons, one for the major buttons, like Save, and a button for minor ones, like Cancel. They also include textures for the monitor and laptop. The desktop backgrounds and names were made by philipbenr.

I also took the liberty of adding a computer tower and a router. The router could be needed near a computer for apps that use internet, like emails, buying/selling, and other such things. The computer tower is decoration. I also removed one monitor and replacing the remaining monitor and laptop with meshnodes taken from homedecor. The black textures for the monitor and the router textures also came from homedecor. The homedecor elements used are all licenced under WFTPL.

Lastly, I improved the notepad and settings formspecs, making it use the space in the formspec better and adding the app background.

I simply edited the latest version of the laptop mod. A zip file with the themes, new nodes, and upgraded apps can be downloaded here.
Spoiler
All nodes with 3lue theme:

All nodes with R3D theme:

Settings app with 3lue theme:

Settings app with R3D theme:

3lue desktop background:

R3D desktop background:

You've likely noticed the similarities between this and Windows 10, but it's not actually taken from it. I used Windows 10 as my base idea, but this isn't actually taken from Windows 10. Any shape or color that is the same as Windows 10 is pure coincidence.
I hope the settings app can be upgraded to change the textures of the computer node and all apps using themes in the main mod.

I want to help program, but after trying for hours to make a file manager, I gave up. But besides the things in the main post, I would like to suggest these ideas I have: Separate notepad documents that can be stored in file folders, a calculator (It's annoying to have to pause Minetest to use the calculator on my computer), and a clock with the time in game on the launcher app taskbar (probably hours and am-pm would be enough). I think these would be really useful.

As for a game, have you considered this?
I like the UI look you have done I'll be adding those soon. I may not be adding those models though. I'm looking into keeping it blocky (MineTest like).

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:I like the UI look you have done I'll be adding those soon. I may not be adding those models though. I'm looking into keeping it blocky (MineTest like).
I'm glad you like it. Right now, I'm trying to edit the settings app to work on all apps and the computer node itself.

Personally, I like the models. Maybe you could make it a setting? If not, here's a nodebox for a monitor from an earlier version of homedecor that you could use. It looks much slimmer than the monitors currently used and is still blocky.

Code: Select all

node_box = {
		type = "fixed",
		fixed = {
			{-0.5, -0.3125, 0.1875, 0.5, 0.375, 0.223116}, 
			{-0.25, -0.5, 0.125, 0.25, -0.466981, 0.5}, 
			{-0.125, -0.5, 0.3125, 0.125, 0.0283019, 0.346698}, 
			{-0.375, -0.3125, 0.208965, 0.375, 0.240566, 0.3125}, 
			{-0.4375, -0.5, -0.4375, 0.4375, -0.47, -0.125}, 
			{-0.1875, -0.5, 0.25, 0.1875, -0.410377, 0.375},
		},
	},

GamingAssociation39

That looks great add a pull request and maybe some textures to it and I will probably add it. Also add a pull request for the UI that you had done if you can.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

GamingAssociation39 wrote:That looks great add a pull request and maybe some textures to it and I will probably add it. Also add a pull request for the UI that you had done if you can.
I'll do that as soon as I finish the edits to the settings app, and I'll add that as well.

GamingAssociation39

ADDED:
New Laptop Models by Cross_over
Poll

bell07
GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Post

v-rob wrote:I hope the settings app can be upgraded to change the textures of the computer node and all apps using themes in the main mod.
Unfortunately the manipulation of note textures is not possible. Only using display_lib an entity can be overlayed or using colorparam2 colors adjustments. Both ways are not trivial. The more simplest way is to define own node for each background and change them using os:swap_node() but this will limit the count of possible backgrounds :-/
v-rob wrote:But besides the things in the main post, I would like to suggest these ideas I have:...
They are a lot of great ideas in the thread I fear can be lost. My proposal is to open each idea an own Issue on github labeled by "Feature request". So we can discuss about each idea separatelly and no idea gets lost.

PS: The next weeks if I find some time I take some OS-adjustments (Window border logic: each app should get an border automatically with app-name and "Back" (to previous screen) and "Exit" (back to launcher) buttons. Off course with "app.fullscreen" attribute means skip this border. And the next point on my roadmap is the simple email app.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

I tried and i'm impressed! It's very smooth! however, the desktop formspec should always be visible from behing when you open an app!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

GamingAssociation39

azekill_DIABLO wrote:I tried and i'm impressed! It's very smooth! however, the desktop formspec should always be visible from behing when you open an app!
I think that that's what Bell07s plans are next by creating a border for each app.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

It is NOT the idea. The OS is more like "Android", there is no windowed mode. I plan to use the v-rob created texture for "Apps-Background (laptop_app_bg.png") and add 2 buttons on the blue line.

GamingAssociation39

Oh ok :)

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

bell07 wrote:
v-rob wrote:I hope the settings app can be upgraded to change the textures of the computer node and all apps using themes in the main mod.
Unfortunately the manipulation of note textures is not possible. Only using display_lib an entity can be overlayed or using colorparam2 colors adjustments. Both ways are not trivial. The more simplest way is to define own node for each background and change them using os:swap_node() but this will limit the count of possible backgrounds :-/
I've been editing the settings app to work for all apps and all nodes. The way I'm accomplishing this is by registering a laptop.register_theme that contains all the textures for app backgrounds, node textures, and button textures. The nodes are registered using ipairs and using textures registered in the theme. The benefits of registering themes is that all mods can register them, and the textures don't have to be in the laptop mod's textures. I've taken quite a while on it since I'm not the best coder, but I'm nearly finished.
bell07 wrote:PS: The next weeks if I find some time I take some OS-adjustments (Window border logic: each app should get an border automatically with app-name and "Back" (to previous screen) and "Exit" (back to launcher) buttons. Off course with "app.fullscreen" attribute means skip this border. And the next point on my roadmap is the simple email app.
So for the border, you're saying you will add the app name and an "X" in the corner, along with an "<--"? That will be useful for navigating file folders when they're implemented.

@GamingAssociation39: Would it be alright if I forked the GitHub instead of making a pull request? I'm doing multiple large things at once, and it would make things a lot easier to manage. You could merge it once I've finished. (I won't add the models. I'll use those for personal use because I like them).

If this mod needs any more UI enhancements, just let me know and I'll try to help.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

v-rob wrote:The way I'm accomplishing this is by registering a laptop.register_theme that contains all the textures for app backgrounds, node textures, and button textures.
Oh, I did not read this, before. I had the same idea and now I implemented the themes handling (already merged to upstream) I do not have an laptop.register_theme but this should not be an issue, give me some minutes time ...

GamingAssociation39

@v-rob: Themes have been implemented by Bell07

You can fork it over if you like.

GamingAssociation39

UPDATE:
App Window Edits
Edits to Theming
New Backgrounds
Theming Documentation
Last edited by GamingAssociation39 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

@v-rob, please use the Github Fork-function for your repo. This way all changes could be better tracked and pull request could be better made.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

bell07 wrote:@v-rob, please use the Github Fork-function for your repo. This way all changes could be better tracked and pull request could be better made.
v-rob wrote: [...] Would it be alright if I forked the GitHub instead of making a pull request? [...]
Did you read the whole post? The other one was temporary while I worked on the settings app (but you beat me to it!) But it doesn't matter, because it appears that you've already merged my suggestions before I could fork it.