[Mod] Villagers for Minetest [villagers][v0.17]

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: [Mod] Villagers for Minetest [villagers] v0.15

by maikerumine » Post

Found a bug when a building type is not in your list, it returns a crash:

Code: Select all

2017-07-08 18:43:12: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'mg_villages' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...xtreme_survival\mods\z_extra_mods\villagers/spawning.lua:835: attempt to index local 'building_data' (a nil value)
2017-07-08 18:43:12: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-07-08 18:43:12: ERROR[Main]: 	...xtreme_survival\mods\z_extra_mods\villagers/spawning.lua:835: in function 'part_of_village_spawned'
2017-07-08 18:43:12: ERROR[Main]: 	...treme_survival\mods\a_mapgen_mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1234: in function 'place_villages_via_voxelmanip'
2017-07-08 18:43:12: ERROR[Main]: 	...treme_survival\mods\a_mapgen_mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1330: in function <...treme_survival\mods\a_mapgen_mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1287>
2017-07-08 18:43:12: ERROR[Main]: 	D:\ESM\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:412: in function <D:\ESM\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:392>
bug is line 835:
local building_type = building_data.typ

related to mg_villages:
line 1233:

-- useful for spawning mobs etc.
	for _, village in ipairs(villages) do
		mg_villages.part_of_village_spawned( village, minp, maxp, data, param2_data, a, cid );
	end
I must say that I am also using ruins villages.

I don't know if this helps, but both mg_villages and villagers do not shake hands nicely here. :)

So I added this:

-- included in 'village_towntest'
	elseif village_type == "ruins" then region_type = "hot"
Testing now on ESM server.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Here is the fix:

You must delete both:
mg_all_villages.data
mg_all_villages.data

IF updating villages.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

maikerumine wrote: Here is the fix:
You must delete both:
mg_all_villages.data
mg_all_villages.data
That will destroy all information about existing villages. You can do that in a test world you do not care about, but please do not consider this a general solution.

With the recent updates I did rename some buildings in less common village types due to them beeing now rotated diffrently. That may cause errors.
A list of my mods can be found here.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

Sokomine wrote:
You must delete both:
mg_all_villages.data
mg_all_villages.data
That will destroy all information about existing villages. You can do that in a test world you do not care about, but please do not consider this a general solution.

With the recent updates I did rename some buildings in less common village types due to them beeing now rotated diffrently. That may cause errors.
I have to it is the server. Since I updated villages, it cannot work correctly.

ErrorNull
GitHub: ErrorNull0

by ErrorNull » Post

KCoombes wrote:Villagers 0.15 - crash report:

2017-07-08 16:07:56: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'mg_villages' in callback ScriptApiEnv::environment_OnGenerated(): ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:498: attempt to get length of local 'beds_data' (a nil value)
2017-07-08 16:07:56: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-07-08 16:07:56: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:498: in function 'spawnOnBedPlot'
2017-07-08 16:07:56: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:868: in function 'part_of_village_spawned' 
KCoombes - Looks like 'bed_data' does not contain data that my function 'spawnOnBedPlot' is expecting. The bed_data variable is linked to a parameter that is created by Sokomine's mg_villages mod. Are you using the latest version of mg_villages? About two weeks ago Sokomine updated mg_villages to include this new bed data that my function now relies on: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13588&start=75#p280172

If you still get this error after updated to latest mg_villages, let me know if this error occurrs 100% of the time or just when certain villages spawn. Thanks for reporting this to me.
Sokomine wrote:
You must delete both:
mg_all_villages.data
mg_all_villages.data

That is good to know. Thanks Sokomine.

Maikerumine - hopefully you won't have to re-do your village data too often as we update, but suppose it's sometimes these happen when working with our WIP mods. =)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

maikerumine wrote: have to it is the server. Since I updated villages, it cannot work correctly.
That really should not happen. If you have any further information please PM me. And please be so kind to remove the weather mod from ESM. My poor machine is suffering from all the snowflakes and rain.

KCoombes
In-game: Knatt

by KCoombes » Post

ErrorNull wrote:
KCoombes wrote:Villagers 0.15 - crash report:
-snip-

KCoombes - Looks like 'bed_data' does not contain data that my function 'spawnOnBedPlot' is expecting. The bed_data variable is linked to a parameter that is created by Sokomine's mg_villages mod. Are you using the latest version of mg_villages? About two weeks ago Sokomine updated mg_villages to include this new bed data that my function now relies on: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13588&start=75#p280172

If you still get this error after updated to latest mg_villages, let me know if this error occurrs 100% of the time or just when certain villages spawn. Thanks for reporting this to me.
Ok, I pulled a fresh copy of both mg_villages AND the villages-for-minetest-modpack (replacing the modpack's mg_villages with the updated one) and tried again:

2017-07-08 23:06:11: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'mg_villages' in callback ScriptApiEnv::environment_OnGenerated(): ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:498: attempt to get length of local 'beds_data' (a nil value)
2017-07-08 23:06:11: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-07-08 23:06:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:498: in function 'spawnOnBedPlot'
2017-07-08 23:06:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:868: in function 'part_of_village_spawned'
2017-07-08 23:06:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...ods\villages-for-minetest-modpack\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1235: in function 'place_villages_via_voxelmanip'
2017-07-08 23:06:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...ods\villages-for-minetest-modpack\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1331: in function <...ods\villages-for-minetest-modpack\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1288>
I can't say if it is dependent on what type of village is spawning, as it crashes to desktop every time I launch the world.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

KCoombes wrote: Ok, I pulled a fresh copy of both mg_villages AND the villages-for-minetest-modpack (replacing the modpack's mg_villages with the updated one) and tried again:
The villages-for-minetest-modpac is severely outdated. Best take all the current versions from github: mg_villages, handle_schematics (think of it as a library for mg_villages), cottages (to get most village types), mob_world_interaction (pretty new; mostly for mobs that want to move around) and mobf_trader (preferably the movement-branch). Even the individual village_* mods where updated and now contain houses with beds.

I'm aware that I need to update the modpack soon. Most people seem to use it as it's easier than getting all the mods individually. The mods are currently changing a lot in order to supply better interfaces for the mobs that want to live in the villages. The mob spawners are currently very visible; I'll have to sink them one or two nodes into the ground eventually. But that would make testing more difficult.

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Post

KCoombes wrote:AND the villages-for-minetest-modpack
hmm.. maybe one of the extra village mods in the modpack is causing my mod to complain. try starting minetest with only mg_villages, handle schematics and my villagers mod, and see if you still get the error.

and also what sokomine said..

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

ErrorNull wrote:
KCoombes wrote:AND the villages-for-minetest-modpack
hmm.. maybe one of the extra village mods in the modpack is causing my mod to complain. try starting minetest with only mg_villages, handle schematics and my villagers mod, and see if you still get the error.

and also what sokomine said..
Ok, I pulled fresh copies from Sokomine's GitHub (also pulled fresh copies of the village-type files, as villages won't spawn without them) and was able to finally see an inhabited village - a sandcity near a snowy region, which caused the villagers to remove the snow on the ground (very entertaining!). However, as I went searching for another village (flying), I got another fatal error:

2017-07-09 06:34:58: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'mg_villages' in callback ScriptApiEnv::environment_OnGenerated(): ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:509: attempt to index a nil value
2017-07-09 06:34:59: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-07-09 06:34:59: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:509: in function 'spawnOnBedPlot'
2017-07-09 06:34:59: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:868: in function 'part_of_village_spawned'
2017-07-09 06:34:59: ERROR[Main]: 	...ods\villages-for-minetest-modpack\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1235: in function 'place_villages_via_voxelmanip'
2017-07-09 06:34:59: INFO[Emerge-0]: initialEmerge: area: (-128,32,112)(-17,143,223)=112x112x112=1404928 (5MB)
2017-07-09 06:34:59: ERROR[Main]: 	...ods\villages-for-minetest-modpack\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1331: in function <...ods\villages-for-minetest-modpack\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1288>
2017-07-09 06:34:59: ERROR[Main]: 	...etest-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:412: in function <...etest-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:392>
Yes, I reused the folder for villages-for-minetest-modpack, but all files inside are the fresh copies (I first tried it with the files as stand-alone mods and the engine refused to recognize mg_villages as present). At least it worked a little bit - perhaps I was approaching a location with a single building/villager, causing the error this time.

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Post

KCoombes wrote:Yes, I reused the folder for villages-for-minetest-modpack, but all files inside are the fresh copies
Try this: temporarily remove any mods in your 'minetest/mods' folder ... you can relocate them to another folder somewhere on your computer for now. then only put in the mods folder, villagers, handle_schematic, and mg_villages (not the modpack). Be sure to get handle_schematics and mg_villages from their github pages. test the game with only those three mods and let me know if you still get the error.

I suspect my villagers mod is either encountering an unsupported village type mod or getting NIL data from an outdated village type mod. For now villagers only support the following village type mods: cottages, village_gambit, village_towntest, and sandcity. On the next update, I can insert code to check for unsupported village type mods and just not spawn anything on that village instead of allowing an error nil to pop up. =)

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

ErrorNull wrote:
KCoombes wrote:Yes, I reused the folder for villages-for-minetest-modpack, but all files inside are the fresh copies
Try this: temporarily remove any mods in your 'minetest/mods' folder ... you can relocate them to another folder somewhere on your computer for now. then only put in the mods folder, villagers, handle_schematic, and mg_villages (not the modpack). Be sure to get handle_schematics and mg_villages from their github pages. test the game with only those three mods and let me know if you still get the error.

I suspect my villagers mod is either encountering an unsupported village type mod or getting NIL data from an outdated village type mod. For now villagers only support the following village type mods: cottages, village_gambit, village_towntest, and sandcity. On the next update, I can insert code to check for unsupported village type mods and just not spawn anything on that village instead of allowing an error nil to pop up. =)
Ok, I did as you asked - only 3 mods enabled on a new world. Still crashes;

2017-07-09 08:08:01: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'villagers' in callback ScriptApiEnv::environment_OnGenerated(): ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:359: attempt to index a nil value
2017-07-09 08:08:01: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-07-09 08:08:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:359: in function 'spawnVillager'
2017-07-09 08:08:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:746: in function 'spawnOnJobPlot'
2017-07-09 08:08:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:870: in function 'part_of_village_spawned'
2017-07-09 08:08:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1235: in function 'place_villages_via_voxelmanip'
2017-07-09 08:08:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1331: in function <...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1288>
2017-07-09 08:08:01: ERROR[Main]: 	...etest-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:412: in function <...etest-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:392>
Prior to this, I have successfully launched new worlds, spawning in a full village with inhabitants. I have observed several village types (full size) as well as single-building instances with inhabitants without a problem, only to have it crash for no apparent reason while turning around. I have also been able to relaunch the existing world and continue from the crash point as if nothing happened.

I hope this helps.

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Post

KCoombes
KCoombes wrote:Ok, I did as you asked - only 3 mods enabled on a new world. Still crashes;
Ok thanks for the update. I'm looking into this now...

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Post

Okay KCoombes, and anyone else getting similar NIL errors. I just now updated the necessary files on github. Please test again and let me know if it's fixed. Looks like the cause of the error is that i forgot to update my mod to recognize the additional beds that are now available on certain building types from mg_villagers.. as well as a few building type names having changed too. Whoops! My fault everyone. ^_^

I've changed to a different algorithm now that should accommodate any bed additions in the future. I'll need to keep an eye out for any new building name changes on mg_villages though. keep me notified of any other errors. Thanks everyone.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

ErrorNull wrote: .. as well as a few building type names having changed too.
That's hardly your fault. It's mine. Building names ought to stay the same (adding new buildings is no problem). However, editing lots of buildings turned out to be more work than expected, so I went a bit lazy and did not take rotation properly into account in all cases. Villages affected by that are mostly the extended ones (village_towntest etc.).

mg_villages.BUILDINGS[bpos.btype].bed_list contains an up-to-date list of the beds in the *schematic* from which the house at bpos of the type bpos.btype was spawned.

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

ErrorNull wrote:Okay KCoombes, and anyone else getting similar NIL errors. I just now updated the necessary files on github. Please test again and let me know if it's fixed. Looks like the cause of the error is that i forgot to update my mod to recognize the additional beds that are now available on certain building types from mg_villagers.. as well as a few building type names having changed too. Whoops! My fault everyone. ^_^

I've changed to a different algorithm now that should accommodate any bed additions in the future. I'll need to keep an eye out for any new building name changes on mg_villages though. keep me notified of any other errors. Thanks everyone.
Nope. I pulled an updated villagers and tried again with just the 3 mods;

[code}
2017-07-09 11:00:44: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'villagers' in callback ScriptApiEnv::environment_OnGenerated(): ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:427: attempt to index a nil value
2017-07-09 11:00:44: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-07-09 11:00:44: INFO[Server]: Server: MEET_BLOCK_NODE_METADATA_CHANGED
2017-07-09 11:00:44: INFO[Server]: Server: MEET_BLOCK_NODE_METADATA_CHANGED
2017-07-09 11:00:44: ERROR[Main]: ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:427: in function 'spawnVillager'
2017-07-09 11:00:44: ERROR[Main]: ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:576: in function 'spawnOnBedPlot'
2017-07-09 11:00:44: ERROR[Main]: ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\villagers/spawning.lua:863: in function 'part_of_village_spawned'
2017-07-09 11:00:44: ERROR[Main]: ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1235: in function 'place_villages_via_voxelmanip'
2017-07-09 11:00:44: ERROR[Main]: ...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1331: in function <...est-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\mods\mg_villages/mapgen.lua:1288>
2017-07-09 11:00:44: ERROR[Main]: ...etest-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:412: in function <...etest-0.4.16-win32-msvc\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:392>[/code]

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

@ErrorNull:
Ah, hm. The village types are not craved in stone. Anyone who wants to can add a new village type, even redefine an existing one and use it diffrently to some degree. Same goes for building_type. There are a few hardcoded things (i.e. dirt roads only occour in medieval villages). I try to keep those minimal.

- for villagers.VILLAGES, take mg_villages.village_types which contains the same
- villagers.PLOTS is a bit more complicated and does seem to store all types of buildings. You might want to iterate about all entries in the mg_villages.BUILDINGS list and store the typ entry. A hash table could be helpful as the building types are the same for all buildings of the same type.
- for villagers.SCHEMS, take mg_villages.village_type_data[ village_type ][ 'building_list']. It caches the building_nr of all buildings that may be found in that type of village. The ID can then be turned into the name of the schematic by applying
mg_villages.BUILDINGS[ building_nr ].scm

Don't do all this too early. All mods that want to add new villages have to run first so that mg_villages has the data available.

And if there's no entry for a particular building or village type, it might be better if the mob just complains about it without letting the game crash :-)
Last edited by Sokomine on Sun Jul 09, 2017 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

I have updated all the village mods and villagers on ESM server. Will be running a test for the next day to catch bugs and crashes. :) Hopefully we all can figure these buggs out. :)

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Post

maikerumine wrote:Nope. I pulled an updated villagers and tried again with just the 3 mods;
Okay, i did another update just now. I think we are almost there... I can taste the victory!
Sokomine wrote:Ah, hm. The village types are not craved in stone. Anyone who wants to can add a new village type, even redefine an existing one and use it diffrently to some degree. Same goes for building_type. There are a few hardcoded things (i.e. dirt roads only occour in medieval villages). I try to keep those minimal.
Hmm.. I see.. and i'm realizing that now. Looks like i will be doing some slight changes to accommodate this possibility for people to edit/make their own building type. And you are right, the first quick step I should do as a temporary measure is to not allow the game to crash on the NIL errors, but simply have the villager not spawn for now.
Sokomine wrote:- for villagers.VILLAGES, take mg_villages.village_types which contains the same
- villagers.PLOTS is a bit more complicated and does seem to store all types of buildings. You might want to iterate about all entries in the mg_villages.BUILDINGS list and store the typ entry. A hash table could be helpful as the building types are the same for all buildings of the same type.
- for villagers.SCHEMS, take mg_villages.village_type_data[ village_type ][ 'building_list']. It caches the building_nr of all buildings that may be found in that type of village. The ID can then be turned into the name of the schematic by applying
mg_villages.BUILDINGS[ building_nr ].scm
Thanks for the additional direction. I will study this and improve my global variables to automatically mirror or data when possible, instead of manually copying them 'by hand'. And, thanks folks for patience everyone! Please update the villagers to this latest one (you too maikerumine) and hit me some more. going to bed now. Will check your results when i'm back.

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

Still nope with freshly updated villagers.

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Post

KCoombes wrote:Still nope with freshly updated villagers.
There's actually quite a few things i've noticed in my code that i need to cleanup. I'm also going to take the time to rework some of my algorithms. Thanks for your patience everyone.. >_<

KCoombes

by KCoombes » Post

I've continued playing with your mod and have realized that every crash has occurred when a Chateau is spawning/loading - and the residents are 'uninitialized villager'. Perhaps that will help.

ErrorNull

by ErrorNull » Post

KCoombes wrote:I've continued playing with your mod and have realized that every crash has occurred when a Chateau is spawning/loading - and the residents are 'uninitialized villager'. Perhaps that will help.
thanks KCoombes that bit of info is helpful. I am reworking my spawning code to rely less on building type names and more on the climate and look of the surrounding node landscape. it will be a few days once i'm done and in addition to eliminating these types of errors (i'm hoping) it will allow me to better customize the villagers to the map/world. stay tuned!

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

mg_villages now provides a road-based pathfinder that can navigate from street/position right next to street to another plot somewhere else in the village.

maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

I have a dumb question. If I run mobf_traders will this bug the game?