[Mod] Natural slopes [natural_slopes]

karamel

[Mod] Natural slopes [natural_slopes]

by karamel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 13:30

Yet an other slope mode. No. I mean, yes, but no.

Version 0.9 download
Licence LGPLv2 or any later
Dependencies: default
Source code: https://framagit.org/karamel/natural_slopes

Optional dependencies
  • Default to get a working set (you may just want to declare yours)
  • poschangelib to enable update by stepping on nodes

Description

This mod adds some stair-like nodes from soft ground nodes (sand, dirt, gravel...) that may change shape with time.

The aim of this mod is to make a visual improvement on the world with more curves and smooth movement not to jump on every little height (yes, mobs happen to try to climb on trees sometime).

It is also part of a larger project that aims to bring life to the environment from inanimate things, without turning them into evil unfriendly mobs.

Why isn't it Yet an other slope mod

I've looked at Moreblocks (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=509), Simply slopes (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13555) and Erosion (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15806) but none of them addressed my issues. And well: http://www.commitstrip.com/2017/03/22/one-more/ (that was a way to start modding)

This mod is not about adding some new nodes for slopes but about the way they are generated and handled. The main goal is not to be able to craft slopes, but for them to be made automatically in a sensible way. In fact it's more an terrain shape management mod than a slope mod. I try to design it for other materials or mods to be easily extended with the features provided (but I don't know yet on which side a mod should be aware of the other mods).

Also slopes (like stairs and slabs) introduce "half-nodes" (well, half-filled-nodes but it's too long), which I think is bringing a lot of issues for placing nodes, movement etc. In fact, would the player have been 3 or 4 node high and could walk a 1 block height I may not have written this mod at all because the world unit would have been small enough for half-nodes to even exist. So, the slopes are not considered half-nodes but full nodes that can be climbed. I never played Minecraft or any other game like this one so it may be something strange with that reference but I haven't and I don't want to recreate Minecratft anyway.

So a slope node is considered containing the same amount of material than a full block (that is: 1 unit). Full falling nodes can be replaced by the slope according to their surroundings. When digging, a full block can be made out of a slope 1:1. Also when a slope is surrounded, it get back it's full block shape. Nothing is ever lost nor created when the shape is updated.

Making a slope

When there are room around the edge of a soft node, it can turn into a slope, when you place it, walk on it or just watch it.

By surrounding a block, leaving it alone or placing something on top of it, a slope will go back to its full block shape. It means isolated blocks doesn't degradate (remember the full-block unit?) and placing blocks around a slope will update its shape.

Current features
  • Straight slope, inner corner and outer corner shapes (0.1), slab/pike (0.6)
  • Smooth or cubic rendering (0.2) (smooth removed in 0.7, reenabled in 0.8)
  • Single-function-call to enable the sloppy behavior on a material (0.1), enhanced texture description (0.7)
  • Dirt, Desert/Silver/Default sand and Gravel slopes (0.1), more Minetest Game nodes (0.7)
  • Shape changing by time (0.1) and by walking over (0.2)
  • Trigger a good amount of shape update on generation (0.3) when the world is initially generated, it may be a little slow. Can be configured in advanced settings (0.4)
  • Trigger shape update on digging and placing, recipes were removed and digging always gives the full node (0.5).
  • /updshape chat command to update shape of the block on which the player is standing (requires server privilege)
    (0.2) (was /erode in 0.1)
  • Advanced settings (0.2) change rendering mode, tweak/disable update on time, disable update on walk

Almost ready for beta. Dirt slopes don't turn into dirt with grass slopes (or anything else) and the mod requires optimization.

This mod was inspired by the sedimentology mod (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11028) and those features fit well to my liking along this mod. It may be included later in a world live-shaping modpack.
Last edited by karamel on Wed Aug 30, 2017 16:08, edited 11 times in total.
Modding the world to make it move without you even touching it.
Downloads

ManElevation

GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

Re: [Mod] Natural slopes [natural_slopes]

by ManElevation » Fri Jul 21, 2017 20:09

+1
looks cool, but kinda weird makes minetest not look like minetest
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

karamel

by karamel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 16:40

azekill_DIABLO wrote:spawns naturally? i probably mis-read your post.

If you mean spawns like it is created from scratch no. It doesn't pop from scratch. If you means it happens by itself yes.

This is just about nodes changing shapes. A full block can turn into a slope and back to the block shape without direct interaction.

In 0.1 alternative shapes can be crafted by hand or happens with an ABM. If there are empty blocks around the shape can be updated to a slope or corner, if not it can update to a full block. This only for falling blocks (sands and gravel). But there is no movement. No other blocks are spawn nor are deleted in the operation.

ManElevation wrote:kinda weird makes minetest not look like minetest

For the mod to look more blockish, the use-stair-mesh switch is not implemented yet. It will switch from the smooth slope mesh to the cubic stair mesh. Maybe later with a client mod when it's possible because it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way.

Finally, I don't expect it to be selected into Minetest Game at all nor already established games. If that's what you mean by looking like minetest (because I don't see how an engine should look). But I'll probably use it for the gameplay I'm trying to build for my servers.

I'm still trying to make things activated or not and with separated mods to fit more uses, if someone like some parts of it but not other ones.
Downloads

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Sat Jul 22, 2017 17:15

karamel wrote:
azekill_DIABLO wrote:spawns naturally? i probably mis-read your post.

If you mean spawns like it is created from scratch no. It doesn't pop from scratch. If you means it happens by itself yes.

This is just about nodes changing shapes. A full block can turn into a slope and back to the block shape without direct interaction.

In 0.1 alternative shapes can be crafted by hand or happens with an ABM. If there are empty blocks around the shape can be updated to a slope or corner, if not it can update to a full block. This only for falling blocks (sands and gravel). But there is no movement. No other blocks are spawn nor are deleted in the operation.

looks nice!

karamel

by karamel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 19:24

Version 0.2 is out.

The new features are the cubic rendering (see updated screenshot), some configuration in advanced settings and the inclusion of poschangelib to make the sand sliding when you walk on it (well, in fact it just create a slope where it could).
Downloads

ManElevation

GitHub: ManElevation
IRC: ManElevation
In-game: ManElevation

by ManElevation » Wed Jul 26, 2017 20:46

karamel wrote:Version 0.2 is out.

The new features are the cubic rendering (see updated screenshot), some configuration in advanced settings and the inclusion of poschangelib to make the sand sliding when you walk on it (well, in fact it just create a slope where it could).

awesome!
My Public Mods! Discord: Rottweiler Games#3368

Lord_Vlad

by Lord_Vlad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 21:18

There should be an option, at least, so that minig the slopes don't give you the slode node, but the normal node in your inventory.

Also, the desert sand is called silver and vice-versa.

karamel

by karamel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:04

Version 0.3 is out.

The main new feature is the update on map generation with VoxelManip. There was also some bugfixes, and probably new ones because I had to change a lot of things (thanks for the feedback for sand names).

I've changed how to register slopes and I now have some strange light issues. Probably something related to paramType…

Regarding crafting and digging I'll probably have to detatch from Minetest Game (which is already possible) and think more about it.

It doesn't really make sense in creative mode not to control what is happening and not being able to create slopes manually. On the contrary if the full node is always dug, should it update itself automatically on place? Otherwise if you want to make a slope you'll have to place a full node and stomp it. If it's about something very hard like stone it may take ages (but ages are already there on map generation)
Attachments
natural_slopes-light_issue.jpg
(16.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Downloads

azekill_DIABLO

Stix

IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Sat Aug 05, 2017 14:48

this mod looks promising, ill have to try it out sometime soon.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php

azekill_DIABLO

karamel

by karamel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 07:59

Since 0.3 they are made upon generation. At that time the nodes have 100 time more chance to be updated than with regular update (time flies and it doesn't have waited for you to come). It is ridiculous right now because most nodes have 1/10th to 1/50th chance of update.

Then there is a chance they are made sometime. By default an ABM is run every 30 seconds. This will change later, because with what I'm planning with other mods almost everything would have an ABM…

And you can make them simply by walking on edges with poschangelib. It will do the same as the ABM but only on the nodes you stepped on.

If you are willing to update massively an existing map, you can set natural_slopes.update_shape_abm_interval in minetest.conf or in advanced settings to 1. Withing a few seconds, your surroundings will be completely updated.

Also, check known issues in first post, in 0.3 there is a bug which make the option to activate default nodes not enabled by default (even if it says so in advanced settings, you must force it).

[edit]Grammar[/edit]
Last edited by karamel on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads

karamel

by karamel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:08

For those who had the time to install version 0.3, bugs were fixed and 0.4 is there. Sorry for the inconvenience, it only adds some advanced settings for world generation.

+ Spoiler

It looks much much much much better now. I indeed have messed with paramType for the light. I've added some screenshots in the first post.
Downloads

azekill_DIABLO

Otter

by Otter » Sun Aug 06, 2017 20:21

I tested it and I love it. It starts out kind of slow but then more and more becomes properly sloped.

Otter

by Otter » Sun Aug 06, 2017 21:09

This mod is a huge improvement. It looks more natural and I don't have to bunny hop up a hill side.
A couple of suggestions. Since you are remaining static on volume, when a material is dug, the soil, or sand should revert to a normal block and lose the grass or whatever it had as a covering when it goes into inventory.

It is also possible to make or find a mysterious glow under certain circumstances. When the shapes are in the right situation, they glow at night.
Attachments
glowing2.jpg
(25.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
glowing1.jpg
(38.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:55

that a light bug, probably decause he played with param2. adding "paramtype = light" should be fine. Or just make light go trough this node!!

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:01

You must make light pass trough nodes... because this happens:
Attachments
screenshot_20170807_110020.jpeg
(896.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Otter

I Love the Natural slopes Mod

by Otter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 19:05

Despite the glow this seriously improves the base game behavior and look.
Here is the result of a rainy day with the Snowdrift Mod and Natural Slopes.
When you go up a hill, you are no longer bunny hopping unless you need to climb rough terrain.
This is more fun, and it looks a lot more real. :)
This reminds me of an overcast and rainy summer day in Virginia.
PS. for the Snowdrift weather mod, go here, https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6854
Attachments
Slopes in the Rain.jpg
(92.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Slopes in the Rain 2.jpg
(83.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Stix

IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Wed Aug 09, 2017 00:09

better to use the miniclime weather mod as it isnt laggy and has more features, here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17579
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.
Next release of your favorite game? "Bugfixes" --Wuzzy
[OLD]The new Minetest-offtopic can be found here: https://minetestoftopic.createaforum.com/index.php

karamel

by karamel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 07:51

Version 0.5!

I've messed with paramType in nodes and fixlight in voxel manip more that expected. Like all bugs, they are more than expected. The lighting issues should have been solved now. The strange shades are out, the nodes don't glow at night anymore.

azerkill_DIABLO: I haven't reproduced your bug but if it works with stairs, it should work without sunlight_propagates. Tell me if you are still getting your issue on a fresh world.

You may have to refresh your world if you have generated it with version 0.3 or 0.4 to fix the light issues (delete/create your world or dig and replace buggy nodes). That's the magic of pre-alpha releases :)

And now, digging always gives the full block and slopes cannot be created by recipes. But digging can trigger the update of the neighbors nodes as well as placing anything somewhere.

And off-topic but anyway: miniclime is not better than snowdrift. They do not aims for the same things. Snowdrift is under refactoring (by a friend of mine, with performance enhancements in mind) and uses climate data like temperature and humitidy to pick likely to happen weathers at a place. Once mature (or extended that much it may not be snowdrift in the end) it could become a weather engine. Miniclime is way lighter and picks hardcoded weathers for immediate results (but far less flexible). Both are completely valid, but have two completely different goals.
Downloads

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Wed Aug 09, 2017 09:56

Stix wrote:better to use the miniclime weather mod as it isnt laggy and has more features, here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17579

thanks for making my mods famous! you're my commercial agent!

karamel wrote:Version 0.5!

I've messed with paramType in nodes and fixlight in voxel manip more that expected. Like all bugs, they are more than expected. The lighting issues should have been solved now. The strange shades are out, the nodes don't glow at night anymore.

azerkill_DIABLO: I haven't reproduced your bug but if it works with stairs, it should work without sunlight_propagates. Tell me if you are still getting your issue on a fresh world.

You may have to refresh your world if you have generated it with version 0.3 or 0.4 to fix the light issues (delete/create your world or dig and replace buggy nodes). That's the magic of pre-alpha releases :)

i'll try that then, and you haven't seen the result of the last verion of miniclime!

azekill_DIABLO

Otter

Next

Return to WIP Mods