[Mod] WiTT [witt]

MightyAlex200
GitHub: MightyAlex200
In-game: Phoenix

[Mod] WiTT [witt]

by MightyAlex200 » Post

What is This Thing (WiTT) is a Minetest mod that functions similarly to the WAILA mod for Minecraft.

Currently there are two ways to use this mod: The server way and the client way. The server way is what you should do when playing singleplayer, just take the master branch and put it in your mods/ directory. The client way is what you should do when playing on a server that does not have WiTT installed. Take the csm branch and put it in your clientmods/ directory, then enable it. If you are using the client way, you will need to use the command .witt

A video of the mod at version 1 (server mode, pre-initial commit) is available at https://youtu.be/dfIfj8nrCQg.

Screenshot:

Downloads:
Direct server mode download
Direct client mode download
GitHub page

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Mod] WiTT [witt]

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

does like my NodeExplorer and the other mod inspired from it, which it great...
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

MightyAlex200

by MightyAlex200 » Post

Update: I have changed the way the information is displayed to be more like Waila (blue text for mod) and I have also added a little image that shows up on some nodes, and some little animations. There is now also new commands:
  • "/wittoff" - turn witt display off
  • "/witton" - turn witt display on (default)
  • "/wanimon" - turn witt animations on
  • "/wanimoff" - turn witt animations off (default)
Until the HUD API comes to CSMs, I'll be mostly updating the serverside mod, as it is the most useful and the clientside mod is about as good as it's gonna get. When the HUD API comes to CSMs, I will convert it to them so you can use this in servers without it needing to be installed on there and you can save your settings.

Here is a video of the new version.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Nice idea.
Does this also work with falling nodes and dropped items?

But there is always a problem with mods like these. It completely defeats fake nodes and hidden traps because you can see its name just by pointing at it. I don't think there is an easy fix for this. My doc_identifier mod is also guilty of this.

The node information above is wrong:
It must be “Yellow Lightstone”, not “Lightstone Yellow Off”. You should simply paste the description field of the node definition. Note that it may be empty and have multiple lines. You might want to truncate the text if it gets too long. And show the itemstring if the the description field it empty.

The mod name “Mesecons Lightstone” is pulled right out of the mod's ass. Nowhere ever has this mod been called like this. I think this should be removed. It doesn't really matter. If the player wants to know the mod name, the player can just use the debug screen to see the full itemstring.

I suggest you post this mod twice. The server version goes here, the client version goes into the client mod forum.

MightyAlex200

by MightyAlex200 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:The node information above is wrong:
It must be “Yellow Lightstone”, not “Lightstone Yellow Off”. You should simply paste the description field of the node definition.
Yeah, I noticed that and fixed it with commit 90d22af.
Note that it may be empty and have multiple lines. You might want to truncate the text if it gets too long. And show the itemstring if the the description field it empty.
That also happened with pipeworks in the second video, I guess I'll try that out. Edit: I already had done that (replace description with itemstring if description is empty), but not the truncating, I'll do that.
The mod name “Mesecons Lightstone” is pulled right out of the mod's ass. Nowhere ever has this mod been called like this. I think this should be removed. It doesn't really matter. If the player wants to know the mod name, the player can just use the debug screen to see the full itemstring.
I think it's more convenient to have it show constantly rather than having to press f5. But I guess an option to turn it off couldn't hurt.
I suggest you post this mod twice. The server version goes here, the client version goes into the client mod forum.
That does sound like a good idea, I'll go do that now.

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

MightyAlex200 wrote:There is now also new commands:
  • "/wittoff" - turn witt display off
  • "/witton" - turn witt display on (default)
  • "/wanimon" - turn witt animations on
  • "/wanimoff" - turn witt animations off (default)
I suggest instead of adding many chatcommands, doing something different on different params. Eg. "/witt on" instead of "/witton".

And you don't need two branches, there's a INIT variable from builtin which tells you whether it's used as csm or ssm.
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

MightyAlex200

by MightyAlex200 » Post

DS-minetest wrote: I suggest instead of adding many chatcommands, doing something different on different params. Eg. "/witt on" instead of "/witton".
Yeah that does make more sense, I've fixed that with commit edb12ca
And you don't need two branches, there's a INIT variable from builtin which tells you whether it's used as csm or ssm.
I've (somewhat ironically) started another branch for that (sce, not functional yet), but I think my initial attempt (just trying to make master work in clientmods) was a bit naïve, I'll probably try another, more sane approach later.

R-One

by R-One » Post

Hello, the mod is installed in test on my development server ... so, I noticed that he planted the server when we pass on an unknown block.

How else can we add the small preview image for a new mod?

Thank you

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Looks good
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

mase
In-game: mase

by mase » Post

Failed to enable mod "WiTT" as it contails disallowed characters. Only characters [a-z0-9_] are allowed.

deleted c0a803ab

by deleted c0a803ab » Post

MightyAlex200 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 15:54
What is This Thing (WiTT) is a Minetest mod that functions similarly to the WAILA mod for Minecraft.
I remember there was some similiar mod here on the forum several years ago... but I couldn't remember its name and I couldn't find the link.
It was a simple lua snipet, only one init.lua like your mod, but with less code (20 or 30 lines maybe).

However nice mod!
;)
MightyAlex200 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 15:54
The client way is what you should do when playing on a server that does not have WiTT installed. Take the csm branch and put it in your clientmods/ directory, then enable it. If you are using the client way, you will need to use the command .witt
But only when the server allows csm.
;)

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

mase wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 17:55
Failed to enable mod "WiTT" as it contails disallowed characters. Only characters [a-z0-9_] are allowed.
rename the modfolder to "witt", and you are ok
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

deleted c0a803ab

by deleted c0a803ab » Post

Found it!
identitfy.zip
in this topic
Display Node info

Of course it is outdated and it is bigger (I thought it were smaller), but maybe you can find some useful code in it.
;)