[WIP][Mod]Facade[facade]

h-v-smacker
GitHub: h-v-smacker
In-game: Smacker

Re: [WIP][Mod]Facade[facade]

by h-v-smacker » Post

voxelproof wrote: Oh, now I see. It makes the mod more 'game-like' so to speak by extending (or rather creating) gameplay mechanics. And as I understand it's use isn't confined to the default nodes only, am I right? Anyhow, I'll have to check it by myself (when it's hopefully released :)) how it works. Thanks :)
If you mean "default nodes" as in "nodes from default mod", then it doesn't matter: as long as the facade shapes are registered for a given raw material node, no matter from what mod it might be, this machine will work with this material.

If you mean "default nodes" as in "shapes that come with facade mod", then of course if new shapes are added at some point in future, they'll need to be explicitly added to the machine's interface. But it's a matter of adding a couple lines, really. For now there are buttons for all 14 available shapes.
Linux Forks, the Best Forks: linux-forks.de // Play @ LinuxWorks Next Generation

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

h-v-smacker wrote: If you mean "default nodes" as in "nodes from default mod", then it doesn't matter: as long as the facade shapes are registered for a given raw material node, no matter from what mod it might be, this machine will work with this material.

If you mean "default nodes" as in "shapes that come with facade mod", then of course if new shapes are added at some point in future, they'll need to be explicitly added to the machine's interface. But it's a matter of adding a couple lines, really. For now there are buttons for all 14 available shapes.
Now I have full clarity on the subject. Yet another incentive to spare some time for some building again 8D
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

So I guess you know the columnia mod: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9892

It looks abandoned, but generally useful. So I borrowed some of the shapes (the license is the same for facades and columnia) and played around. Looks like columnia registered more shapes than necessary, so I boiled it down to 5 (6, if one wants a texture-matching top column piece, which is not really necessary as long as facades uses materials with textures that match themselves upside-down).

I would say it overall matches the shapes in facade rather nicely — "big brush stroke" decorative detail which nonetheless carries architectural expression.

https://github.com/h-v-smacker/facade/t ... nia_shapes

What do you think?
Attachments
screenshot_20190622_223324.png
screenshot_20190622_223324.png (472.91 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
screenshot_20190622_223305.png
screenshot_20190622_223305.png (380.87 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Linux Forks, the Best Forks: linux-forks.de // Play @ LinuxWorks Next Generation

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Hmm I'll have to think on this. I love columnia and have used it for quite some time.
I don't believe columnia was so much "abandoned" as it was left just complete. ; )
It would fit nicely in with facade but, the only issue I think about is when users want to download and the number of nodes registered by individual mods.

I still plan to add more to facade as I come up with ideas and needs in building.
I am thinking columnia may be best remaining as it's own mod, and perhaps it can be adopted by someone else and even added to as well. (maybe I will even fork it, not sure yet)

But the number of nodes an individual mod registers is definitely something to take into serious consideration.
I realize that sounds ironic, given my username, but there it is.

I still have to try out the cnc machine you would like to get merged. It would also be nice to have others test it and comment in the PR any issues or praise, so I can better determine whether to merge or not.
There are so many mods now which use similar machines such as moreblocks and mymillworks.
Mychisle being forked and reworked to work with facade was great because it goes with stoneworking/carving, so not sure if adding yet another method within the same mod may be overkill.

Looking for thoughts from others on that topic.
But I do love and appreciate the ideas you have and the time you take to put them forward and to code them.
A Wonderful World

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

1. If you are worried about concurrent use issues, I can easily make it so that the nodes are registered only when columnia is not present, and ignored otherwise. I can also make the machine produce columnia native shapes if columnia is present, or remove the buttons at all.

2. Facade doesn't actually introduce many nodes. Moreblocks introduces so many it's hard to compete, and then every mod that uses moreblocks adds on top of that. In contrast, facade only introduces ~200 (without darkage). I think your policy of using basic materials with good color-matching potential is a very good choice. And even with five more shapes, there will be enough space left in the current formspec (and then it can be easily made larger later).

3. I don't see a problem with other mods using such machines. In fact, I see it as a huge bonus. Familiarity with the principle is a huge perk, since a user has to basically use a machine and a screwdriver for all cases (also don't forget the digtron mod, which can place blocks according to a template, but cannot use tools). And truth be told, a workshop or a construction site looks really cool with all the machines together. I also have an old drilling stand 3d model somewhere around, but had never had a chance to use it for anything... A mod for making holes in blocks doesn't sound like a good idea.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

h-v-smacker wrote:1. If you are worried about concurrent use issues, I can easily make it so that the nodes are registered only when columnia is not present, and ignored otherwise. I can also make the machine produce columnia native shapes if columnia is present, or remove the buttons at all.
With that additional feature, I am sold on the idea, as it addresses another concern I had.
Go for it, and test but please be sure to add this as a separate PR from the cnc machine.

Are you able to recruit any others to test these 2 PRs for you?
A Wonderful World

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:
h-v-smacker wrote:1. If you are worried about concurrent use issues, I can easily make it so that the nodes are registered only when columnia is not present, and ignored otherwise. I can also make the machine produce columnia native shapes if columnia is present, or remove the buttons at all.
With that additional feature, I am sold on the idea, as it addresses another concern I had.
OK, I'll make it so that facade would register its own shapes in lieu of columnia and show the buttons in the machine's gui only when columnia is not present.

I also split init.lua into shapes and materials for convenience.

So far the result: https://github.com/h-v-smacker/facade/t ... nia_shapes
TumeniNodes wrote:Go for it, and test but please be sure to add this as a separate PR from the cnc machine.
Actually the branch with these changes has been branched off the branch where I introduced the shaper machine...
TumeniNodes wrote:Are you able to recruit any others to test these 2 PRs for you?
I don't think so... well, maybe one player.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Is there anyone able to test h-v-smacker's PR for us?
A Wonderful World

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

I think given three weeks passed without any 3rd party input/testing, we can conclude only two people are seriously interested in this topic.

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

h-v-smacker wrote:I think given three weeks passed without any 3rd party input/testing, we can conclude only two people are seriously interested in this topic.
Actually, someone is trying it out for me, and possibly another. You've been very patient, which is appreciated, I just ask a little more of it.
A Wonderful World

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

h-v-smacker wrote:I think given three weeks passed without any 3rd party input/testing, we can conclude only two people are seriously interested in this topic.
Hey Don't forget me! I watch this topic daily!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:Hey Don't forget me! I watch this topic daily!
azekill, have you tested out this cnc machine?
If so, could you let me know how you like it?
A Wonderful World

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

had been playing around with some nodes (the red blocks are those from facade) ...

and I noticed some nodes I missed. Like corner pieces to make frames around wall openings ...
or maybe something to make those cassete ceilings the ancients used.
column bases didn't turn out to work as I had hoped

cool stuff anyways

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Aww twoelk, you're images are not showing for me.
So you were testing with the cnc PR then?
You like it?
I need people to let me know so i can merge it. ; )
A Wonderful World

zing269

by zing269 » Post

I played around with the cnc machine for a bit. I like it better than the chisel. I do think the button background color may need tweaked, I had a hard time seeing the shapes when I was using stone.

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

I'm afraid the background of buttons created by item_image_button cannot be altered.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:azekill, have you tested out this cnc machine?
If so, could you let me know how you like it?
No don't tempt me! I'm doing a detoxification of minetest!
just kidding, I ddin't have time to try it, but I may try it one day or so, i'll tell you. I had already loved the previous versions of this mod!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

oh, you mean
Spoiler
yeah I played with that as well.
worked as expected. (only used mtg though)
just didn't fit the nice ancient themed building.
-which is my only tiny problem with the otherwise nice model
Attachments
thingy_inthecorner.jpg
thingy_inthecorner.jpg (89.9 KiB) Viewed 1503 times

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

haha, nice twoelk.
I do feel bad you made it stand in the corner though.
"My Mother made me stand in the corner once....
... Once."
(quote from the movie, Johnny Dangerously"
A Wonderful World

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Shaper machine, by h-v-smacker... merged!
PR link - https://github.com/TumeniNodes/facade/pull/12
A Wonderful World

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

Nice.

I made a new PR for the columnia shapes support/introduction. We can switch over to that topic now )

h-v-smacker

by h-v-smacker » Post

Any development so far?

TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

h-v-smacker wrote:Any development so far?
I apologize for that long wait.
https://github.com/TumeniNodes/facade/p ... 2589164918

I will update the OP as well as ContentDB some time tomorrow, I'm off to na-nights
A Wonderful World

rabenkind
IRC: rabenkind
In-game: rabenkind

by rabenkind » Post

Hello!
I've made a new column. Also enhanced the shaper machine menu. If you like it use it.
The code is at https://github.com/rabenkind-new/facade

Here's a screenshot:
Frome left to right: only front rabbets, corner rabbets and last all around

Some more screenshots:
Spoiler
Greetings rabenkind

kristovish
GitHub: kristovish
In-game: kristovish

by kristovish » Post

hello! I have installed this mod on my server and I can't find the machine facade. where can i find it or add it?