[Modpack] Advanced Carts [advcarts]

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Modpack] Advanced Carts [advcarts]

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Yeah, i imagine the thing... I roll in a super cart and oops, i fly away from rails, i go trough nodes i hit unloaded chunks etc...
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

The mod has 200 kph carts as of now. I do not get any drops in fps or any noticeable lag. I do not fly off the rails any more than I do with a 80 kph cart. The chunks load fast enough. Download it yourself. (As a note: No, my computer is not an exceedingly good one. In fact, it is fairly bad.)

About merging it: No. The reasons: I love how good advtrains is at handling its trains. Default carts lag at a very slow rate, but advtrains doesn't lag nearly at all. That's the reason I use advtrain's core instead of the default carts. But advtrains is what I call a "high class mod," which is my term for a mod that doesn't have very many of it's ideas accepted. I don't want to have to use my mod with a bunch of other trains when I only want carts. That is my mod's main focus, and I do not want it to be part of another larger mod.

About the changes to the core: I made it possible for trains to go 200 kph (50 speed). Advtrains's limit is 80 kph (20 speed), which ruins my mese and diamond trains and carts. I am currently trying to make 4-way train intersections, which is impossible in advtrains unless you make it a switch. Also, I am trying to make absolutely vertical rails for mining carts, which also is be impossible as of now in advtrains. I would not be able to get these changes in advtrains be cause it is so "high class"

Lastly, I want to be able to satisfy more of what people want. I know I hate it when I get ignored.

I think that all these reasons combined make solid grounds for keeping advcarts separate. But just so you know, yes there will be a git repository, but I just have to upload the stuff on to it.

@ Andrey01: I'm not quite sure about adding new rails, but I'll think about it. They'd be a bit expensive for the already overly-expensive mese and diamond trains. It'll be discussed on github once I get it up.
BTW: Most of the other carts you suggested will be implemented in other mods in the modpack.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

Advtrains is split up in several mods. The trains aren't even provided by the advtrains mod, they're separate mods inside the modpack. Also, if you make changes to the core, chances are that we want to put them in. We also want trains that go 200 and 4-way intersections. So please try to rebase the mod on the advtrains core. I can help you with it.

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

gpcf wrote:Advtrains is split up in several mods. The trains aren't even provided by the advtrains mod, they're separate mods inside the modpack. Also, if you make changes to the core, chances are that we want to put them in. We also want trains that go 200 and 4-way intersections. So please try to rebase the mod on the advtrains core. I can help you with it.
I think so too. Because if people will use advtrains and advcarts at the same time some conflicts can cause as your mod has same stuff such in advtrains. As trainmap and other... That`s why you should add dependencies from advtrains.

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

I have moved the default tracks out of the advtrains core today, the Pull request still needs to be accepted. I'll try to make a version of advcarts that is compatible with advtrains tomorrow.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

gpcf wrote:I have moved the default tracks out of the advtrains core today, the Pull request still needs to be accepted. I'll try to make a version of advcarts that is compatible with advtrains tomorrow.
(sigh). I suppose I'll (potentially) give in. If all tracks get moved, including ATC, loading, and unloading, along with all nodes (I want advtrains to be a base with the actual things in the modpack), then I'll agree to have this merged. Only if advtrains is a base, no nodes!

(Sorry, but you'll have to do the GitHub stuff. I can't understand it at all.)

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

An error when i enabled the mod in flat mapgen:

Code: Select all

2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'advcarts' in callback environment_Step(): /home/user/.minetest/mods/advcarts/advcarts/init.lua:333: attempt to call field 'load' (a nil value)
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/.minetest/mods/advcarts/advcarts/init.lua:333: in function 'load'
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/.minetest/mods/advcarts/advcarts/init.lua:38: in function 'func'
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/common/after.lua:18: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/common/after.lua:4>
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:412: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:392>

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Andrey01 wrote:An error when i enabled the mod in flat mapgen:

2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'advcarts' in callback environment_Step(): /home/user/.minetest/mods/advcarts/advcarts/init.lua:333: attempt to call field 'load' (a nil value)
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/.minetest/mods/advcarts/advcarts/init.lua:333: in function 'load'
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/user/.minetest/mods/advcarts/advcarts/init.lua:38: in function 'func'
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/common/after.lua:18: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/common/after.lua:4>
2017-08-26 13:26:31: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:412: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:392>
*shrug*. I have no idea. I've never gotten that error, and I just tried it. It seems to have to do with the loading of files saved in the world folder, but I'm not sure.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

v-rob wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:An error when i enabled the mod in flat mapgen:

*shrug*. I have no idea. I've never gotten that error, and I just tried it. It seems to have to do with the loading of files saved in the world folder, but I'm not sure.
That`s wonderful i never got the error in previous versions. I will try to run it without multiply of mods that i enabled.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Modified advcarts base version to depend on advtrains
-- NOT FOR END USERS! --

Well, I need to add something:
Of course, you only need to depend on the advtrains base mod (and probably advtrains_luaautomation). All the trains and the rails advtrains adds are inside those advtrains_* mods.
Attachments
advcarts.zip
(4.3 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...

Glory!
GitHub: Glory7000
In-game: Glory7000

by Glory! » Post

Hey, V-rob, excuse me, but do you have any interesting in keeping this mod going? Thanks.
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath. :: My skin A competitor that unfortunately needs attention to stay afloat.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Glory! wrote:Hey, V-rob, excuse me, but do you have any interesting in keeping this mod going? Thanks.
I will continue advcarts once advtrains has these features:

- 4-way, 6-way, and 8-way crossings
- Furnace wagons
- Autocrafter wagons
- Tanker wagons
- Wagons that only carry certain item groups (Like bookshelves only carry books)

I do have textures and models for everything. I just need these features before I can remake advcarts.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

v-rob wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 21:31
I will continue advcarts once advtrains has these features:
Hi v-rob, I know it's been years but I wanted to check in because I think the idea of this project is worthwhile. It makes advtrains functionality available but doesn't force people into a different and incompatible track type, instead letting them use the well-established carts 'standard', so to speak.
v-rob wrote:
- 4-way, 6-way, and 8-way crossings
What do you exactly mean by a 4-way, 6-way and 8-way crossing? Advtrains added diamond crossings that have 4 connections a while ago now. Orwell made it possible in the code at first, then I later made the models. I'm not sure what a 6-way or 8-way crossing would look like, would it have a diagonal side? In my line of thinking, this would get very messy when we're dealing with minecarts. It doesn't seem to make much physical sense to me either. One hack I did use successfully once was to use the pipeworks deployer with a track worker tool inside beneath a perpendicular diamond crossing. The crossing direction is changed with a mesecons signal:

As for the other wagon types, some of them are possible to build in a separate mod, like as is done with the charger wagon in technictrain. I'll elaborate my thoughts for each of your proposed wagon types.

I can't see all of these wagon ideas making it into advtrains core but possibly into a library of generic wagon types, which provides helpers to register different wagon types that have special functionality, but with your own wagon_span, model file, sounds etc. Let's call this proposed library lib_wagonex (wagon extended registration helper).
v-rob wrote:
- Furnace wagons
Is the furnace wagon meant to act like the 'minecart with furnace' from Minecraft, i.e. it is the source of propulsion, or is it meant to allow smelting?
v-rob wrote:
- Autocrafter wagons
Autocrafter wagons would fit into lib_wagonex
v-rob wrote:
- Tanker wagons
Support for tanker wagons has been identified as a TODO one day, and this would definitely go in the core.
v-rob wrote:
- Wagons that only carry certain item groups (Like bookshelves only carry books)
Wagons that only carry certain item groups is a feature that we could support in advtrains through the detached inventory callbacks. The wagon registration table should have fields for allow_move, allow_put and allow_take which advtrains will handle when initialising each wagon. The aforementioned lib_wagonex would also add a helper for registering wagons that hold just one kind of item (one item string or group string).

Let me know what you think. It's been a while, so to start we have to ask if you're even looking to pick up this mod if the above were provided for you. Still, like I said, I think it's a worthwhile endeavour. Other details can be worked out later e.g. making sure advtrains wagons can work in a 1-node-wide space.
Attachments
CrossingMover.jpeg
CrossingMover.jpeg (361.3 KiB) Viewed 666 times
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

quick comment, i have fixed and uv mapped some of the models vrob put for this mod in the advtrains mod thread. they can be found at https://github.com/TerraQuest-Studios/f ... /fl_trains currently only limited work has been done to make the engine semi functional on straight track
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Heh, this was all quite a while ago. To address a few things you said: When I made this, 4-way crossings didn't exist in Advtrains, but would be possible now. 6 and 8-way are the exact same idea as 4-way, but just with more tracks. Since I only used 45 degree angles, they didn't look bad at all. Secondly, furnace, autocrafter, and tankers are all probably possible with Advtrains as it is, but at the time I made this, I didn't have especially good programming skills, so some of the things that were already possible in Advtrains were just things I didn't know how to do.

I have actually considered multiple times about restarting Advcarts because I've always wanted carts that could hitch and I could ride around. At this point, the things that really have stopped me from continuing Advcarts by basing it on Advtrains are twofold:

First is that Advtrains has really jerky movement when the trains go around curves: the train cars jump and jerk around and sometimes overlap or get far apart from each other, etc., which happens to look especially bad when using carts. I'm pretty sure older versions of Advtrains didn't have this problem to such a degree, but even if they did, it would make Advcarts look terrible to have such jerking.

Secondly, I'm not sure I like the degree of complexity of Advtrains. There's lots of nifty features having to do with automated train control with fancy engine control HUDs and formspecs and whatnot, which are really appealing to lots of people, but it's a bit too much for me. To be honest, I think my true vision of Advcarts is closer to Boost Cart with adjustable speed and cart hitching than it is to Advtrains with carts.

To sum, I'd really like to finish Advcarts, but that'd either necessitate making my own mod from scratch, making it from an existing carts mod, or having collaboration with Advtrains to get new features and decoupling certain existing features to make Advcarts a possibility. If that collaboration is possible, I'm in.

orwell
GitHub: orwell96
IRC: orwell96_mt
In-game: orwell

by orwell » Post

Hi v-rob,
I get your point. Most train control stuff (ATC, Signalling/Interlocking, Onboard computer) is not customizable. Ideally these systems should be modular and extension mods should be able to plug in features that are desired and disable the others.
At least for the buggy coupling that was one of the original blockers for continuation of advcarts: That should be fixed with my reworked coupling code.
I think, to further discuss this we should have another advtrains developer conference. I'll invite you once we hold one.
-orwell
Lua is great!
List of my mods
I like singing. I like dancing. I like ... niyummm...