IRC: v-rob

[Modpack] Advanced Carts [advcarts]

by v-rob » Post

EDIT: Advcarts will not be continued until advtrains has these features:

- 4-way, 6-way, and 8-way crossings
- Furnace wagons
- Autocrafter wagons
- Tanker wagons
- Wagons that only carry certain item groups (Like bookshelves only carry books)

Once these are completed, I will complete advcarts.
Last edited by v-rob on Sat Mar 10, 2018 21:35, edited 7 times in total.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

Re: [Modpack] Advanced Carts [advcarts]

by Andrey01 » Post

Wow! Still trains mod! May you add mese cart? And also tree cart and cart with furnace.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

this is epic! it looks glorious, i can't say more.... should be default, since it really fits the style!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

Really nice ... will test it soon. But ... what's about the correct sound? My husband only wants to use carts in Minetest if the sound is good enough!

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

I have an idea: may you should make new model of boost cart? For example, it will be a liitle like steam engine, but it will have small size and same color. Then it will be possible to differ it from other carts.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

I have noticed some bugs:
1. Why do rails not connect between them?
2. Carts should be set as simple carts on default. They set as advtrains.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Wow! I got so many replies so quickly!

To answer some questions:

@ Andrey01: 45 degree rails, not 90 degree.
This mod is based of of advtrains, which is very complicated. I don't know how I would override default carts to use this stuff.
I can't make furnace carts yet. Same problem as the library cart and vessels cart. The inventory needs tweaking, and I don't know how to do it. It also might break the loading/unloading rails.
Actually, I like the cart model now because it fits in. If you want to make your own model, I'll add it in. If you could also make 45 degree slope models while you're at it... :-)

@ azekill_DIABLO: No, it shouldn't be default yet. The code is needs a lot of cleaning up, but I'm dreading doing it.

@ BirgitLachner: Advtrains doesn't have sound, and I don't think I could make it in advcarts. I use the same code, so once advtrains gets sound, I can too. I would use the default cart sounds with maybe some more if I could.

To Everyone: I updated the problems list. I need help fixing them, as I don't know how to. Also, feel free to give me more models/ideas. I'll add them to my modpack unless they're totally terrible :)

gpcf
GitHub: gpcf
In-game: gabriel

by gpcf » Post

Maybe this should be merged back into advtrains as mine railways, instead of being a separate mod, since it complements advtrains quite well.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

v-rob wrote:Wow! I got so many replies so quickly!

To answer some questions:

@ Andrey01: 45 degree rails, not 90 degree.
This mod is based of of advtrains, which is very complicated. I don't know how I would override default carts to use this stuff.
I can't make furnace carts yet. Same problem as the library cart and vessels cart. The inventory needs tweaking, and I don't know how to do it. It also might break the loading/unloading rails.
Actually, I like the cart model now because it fits in. If you want to make your own model, I'll add it in. If you could also make 45 degree slope models while you're at it... :-)
And mese cart and tree cart? For example, it will be like bronze cart. Tree cart as default tree block.

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

May you should add dependencies from main Advtrains mod? It for that not to cause conflicts if everyone uses two these mods.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

gpcf wrote:Maybe this should be merged back into advtrains as mine railways, instead of being a separate mod, since it complements advtrains quite well.
I prefer to have it separate. This way, I can get more things done with it. Maybe after I finish it, then it could be merged. But not before it's finished.
Andrey01 wrote:And mese cart and tree cart? For example, it will be like bronze cart. Tree cart as default tree block.
The mese cart sounds kind of good. The problem is that the mese cart can't go faster than the bronze cart. The bronze cart has a max speed of 20 which is already very fast. Mese would need to be different in some way. I need some ideas for it.

About the tree cart: I could do that, but I would try to make it incapable of pulling other carts other than itself because it's wood and therefore weaker.

While we're at it, you could give me ideas for a diamond cart if you want that too ;-)

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

v-rob wrote:
Andrey01 wrote:And mese cart and tree cart? For example, it will be like bronze cart. Tree cart as default tree block.
The mese cart sounds kind of good. The problem is that the mese cart can't go faster than the bronze cart. The bronze cart has a max speed of 20 which is already very fast. Mese would need to be different in some way. I need some ideas for it.

About the tree cart: I could do that, but I would try to make it incapable of pulling other carts other than itself because it's wood and therefore weaker.
Can you increase max speed untill 50? For example, coal cart will speed untill 3 km, steel cart untill 6 km, tin cart untill 9 km, copper cart untill 7 km, bronze cart untill 12 km, mese cart untill 35 km, diamond cart untill 50 km and more. Tree cart untill 5 km, vesselsshelf cart untill 5 km, bookshelves cart untill 5 km, boost cart untill 8 km, obsidian cart untill 3 km (as it is very hard), chest cart untill 10 km and at last, furnace cart untill 5 km.

While we're at it, you could give me ideas for a diamond cart if you want that too ;-)[/quote]

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

You want the diamond cart to go 200kph? You figure that 1 speed = 1 kps, but it's actually 1 speed = 4 kps. A diamond Cart is going to go 1/3 the speed of a maglev train. Wow. That's some impressive technology in less than a square meter.
I'm going too do it, though.

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

v-rob, is there any git repo?

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

v-rob wrote:You want the diamond cart to go 200kph? You figure that 1 speed = 1 kps, but it's actually 1 speed = 4 kps. A diamond Cart is going to go 1/3 the speed of a maglev train. Wow. That's some impressive technology in less than a square meter.
I think it is possible to do, only the cart will brake all the time as the map will load very slowly. By the way, why does the Minetest map load very slowly?

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

A new release is out!

There are furnace carts (work like chests for now) and carts made of diamond, mese, bronze, steel, and wood. Check the first post for more details.

Notice: There also a bug that has randomly appeared which renders everything inoperable. As a result of this bug, do not use this mod in important worlds. Check the first post for more details.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

gpcf wrote:v-rob, is there any git repo?
No, there isn't because I don't know how to make one.

I will not be adding dependencies to advtrains because this is an alternate with different tracks and it's own version of trains.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

+1 great light-weight alternative to advanced_trains, better even.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

can you connect the carts to one another?
It would be cool to have a small train of cargo carts
following the player who is in the first cart 'driving'.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Napiophelios wrote:can you connect the carts to one another?
It would be cool to have a small train of cargo carts
following the player who is in the first cart 'driving'.
Yes. That's part of the reason it's based off of advtrains. You can connect any cart to any other cart. It sometimes doesn't work the way you want it to, but it usually works correctly.
Stix wrote:+1 great light-weight alternative to advanced_trains, better even.
Not quite. It has many more carts, and it is buggy. :/ See the problems list on the first post.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

If you need help learning the basics of using github they have a guide. https://guides.github.com/activities/he ... repository

But there are also plenty of tutorials on youtube, and I am sure plenty of people here, who would be glad to help you get started with basics.
Github web interface is the easiest for new users (like myself). Once you get started, it is easy to get a handle on.

sofar also has a lot of helpful info here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14262

If you are looking for help with mods like this, etc., this is the best way. You are likely to get more contributors using github
A Wonderful World

Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

Stix wrote:+1 great light-weight alternative to advanced_trains, better even.
Actually these mods are both nice, but advtrains is better as it develops already no one year.

New suggestions: mese rails, diamond rails, bronze rails, tin rails.

By the way, can i connect carts beween them?

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

I absolutely don't like the way this mod is going. It should be merged back into advtrains or build upon advtrains (core) instead of essentially replicating it. advtrains adds capabilities to add new rails and vehicles for a reason.
If it were based on advtrains' git repo, it would be a lot easier to merge this in to advtrains, but the way you chose makes this pretty difficult. I've seen no real changes in the engine part of advtrains that was forked except that advtrains was renamed to advcarts, so there's no real reason not to use advtrains.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

v-rob wrote:You want the diamond cart to go 200kph? You figure that 1 speed = 1 kps, but it's actually 1 speed = 4 kps. A diamond Cart is going to go 1/3 the speed of a maglev train. Wow. That's some impressive technology in less than a square meter.
We want a rocket cart xD
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

gpcf

by gpcf » Post

azekill: Sadly, I doubt the engine is going to handle that. It already has problems with 72km/h operation with the regular advtrains mod.