[MOD] Better Mapgen Settings [bettermapgensettings]

Devy
GitHub: DevyHeavy
In-game: devy

[MOD] Better Mapgen Settings [bettermapgensettings]

by Devy » Post

This is a mod that adds a new tab to the main menu of Minetest. It takes a little bit more work to install it, but once you do you will get a new tab called "Mapgen" In this new tab there are settings for getting rid certain things like decorations, biomes, schematics, etc.

This is all based on this post, viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15272&start=400#p302138.

Github: https://github.com/CoderForTheBetter/be ... ensettings

Latest version download: https://github.com/CoderForTheBetter/be ... master.zip

Installation (read this, different than normal): https://github.com/CoderForTheBetter/be ... /README.md

License (LGPL-3.0): https://github.com/CoderForTheBetter/be ... ICENSE.txt

Depends: default and flower

Picture of the new tab: https://imgur.com/a/gV2rr

TODO:
  • Add biome selection
  • Add profiles
WARNING: If you enable this mod on a server or world then new terrain will be generated with these settings. Also, generating a world with specific settings, and then changing them, means the world will be generated with the new settings. Wait until profiles are added before getting serious with this mod.

I don't assume any responsibility if your world is destroyed by this mod.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [MOD] Better Mapgen Settings [bettermapgensettings]

by Chem871 » Post

Ooooohh! Customisable mapgen??! Are you able to determine the size of each biome? To have tiny biomes would be epic, no more traveling for 40+ minutes to get something!
What is SCP-055?

Devy

by Devy » Post

Chem871 wrote:Ooooohh! Customisable mapgen??! Are you able to determine the size of each biome? To have tiny biomes would be epic, no more traveling for 40+ minutes to get something!
Unfortunately, I don't think the size of biomes can be adjusted. I would be able to do that if I handled all terrain generation with my own LUA code but that is a lot slower. This mod is really only for picking and choosing the biomes that exist or defining one with a custom top layer surface and stone material.

Who knows, maybe I will find a way to adjust the biome size, it seems unlikely though.

EDIT: I stand corrected (by myself), it seems there is a way to adjust the biome size (pertains to all biomes): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16226. There is also some more info about this stuff here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11603#p174045. I guess biomes are more customizable than I thought.

EDIT2: Are these biomes small enough for you?
https://imgur.com/a/pkCKQ

The settings for defining this are not implemented yet, I'll work on it when I can.

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

Tiny small biomes :-)

Another question ... what will happen if I create a world/map at my homecomputer and then upload it to server. Would it be a problem without having you code on the server or do I need to activate the mod?

And can I use the "deleteblocks" command to regenerate an area?

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi,

this is a beautiful add-on on Minetest!! Thanks thanks, thanks! Now I try it and then I'll let you know...

R

Devy

by Devy » Post

BirgitLachner wrote:Tiny small biomes :-)

Another question ... what will happen if I create a world/map at my homecomputer and then upload it to server. Would it be a problem without having you code on the server or do I need to activate the mod?

And can I use the "deleteblocks" command to regenerate an area?
For the terrain to generate according to my mod, then you would have to activate my mod on the server. The only problem right now is that I don't think the settings will carry over with the mod since those will be stored somewhere where Minetest is installed. I'm working on profiles right now that will all be saved to a file, so once I get that done you can move that file over and pick a profile to generate with.

In short, it will probably be a problem. You may have to wait until I have profiles ready to use.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure about regenerating areas yet. I may be able to make a setting that deletes areas you have explored already and replace it with the new settings. I'm absolutely not sure yet though.
Last edited by Devy on Mon Dec 11, 2017 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

What a nice idea! It should really be added as it's easier to use that than to tweaks params manually!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

Devy wrote: For the terrain to generate according to my mod, then you would have to activate my mod on the server. The only problem right now is that I don't think the settings will carry over with the mod since those will be stored somewhere where Minetest is installed. I'm working on profiles right now that will all be saved to a file, so once I get that done you can move that file over and pick a profile to generate with.

In short, it will probably be a problem. You may have to wait until I have profiles ready to use.
No problem ... the best is that you started this Mod.

Thanks, Birgit

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi,

I inform you that with the latest develop (Minetest 0.5.n), this mod crashes Minetest...
just to warn...

Thanks again

R

Devy

by Devy » Post

Codesound wrote:Hi,

I inform you that with the latest develop (Minetest 0.5.n), this mod crashes Minetest...
just to warn...

Thanks again

R

Thanks, Codesound. I have only had time to test this on 0.4.16. I'll have to debug this. Also, 0.5.0 is still being developed so maybe it isn't my fault. Most likely not though.

EDIT:

Code: Select all

2017-12-11 15:21:59: ERROR[Main]: GUIEngine: execution of menu script failed: Failed to load and run script from /home/user/Downloads/minetest/bin/../builtin/init.lua:
2017-12-11 15:21:59: ERROR[Main]: cannot open /home/user/Downloads/minetest/bin/../builtin/mainmenu/store.lua: No such file or directory
2017-12-11 15:21:59: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-12-11 15:21:59: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2017-12-11 15:21:59: ERROR[Main]: 	.../Downloads/minetest/bin/../builtin/mainmenu/init.lua:39: in main chunk
2017-12-11 15:21:59: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2017-12-11 15:21:59: ERROR[Main]: 	...ome/user/Downloads/minetest/bin/../builtin/init.lua:45: in main chunk
2017-12-11 15:21:59: ERROR[Main]: No future without main menu!
Aborted (core dumped)
I think the difference is that they added stuff to the main menu init.lua file and the file me and you were using were the files from 0.4.16.

EDIT2: I was right, the init.lua file has changed since 0.4.16. I'll include two init.lua files in the mod, one for 0.4.16 and one for 0.5.0. If you want to make it work for now, then just paste this line into the init.lua (in the "builtin/mainmenu") that comes with 0.5.0:

tabs.mapgen = dofile(minetest.get_modpath("bettermapgensettings") .. "/bettermapgensettings/mapgen_init.lua")
. I pasted that line on line number 55 in the file.

BUT You'll also need to paste this line:

tv_main:add(tabs.mapgen)
at line number 142 for the tab to show up.

Anyone reading this that might be scared of how hard it sounds to install this, don't be, I'm only putting this stuff here since I expect that file to change more before 0.5.0 is released. 0.4.16 works fine right now.
Last edited by Devy on Mon Dec 11, 2017 20:39, edited 9 times in total.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Cool! Maybe not that small, just not massive is what I'm looking for.
What is SCP-055?

Devy

by Devy » Post

Chem871 wrote:Cool! Maybe not that small, just not massive is what I'm looking for.
Great! I'm still working on adding those settings to the GUI. However, I have finals to study for, so don't expect anything new until about Friday.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Looks interesting. I must take a look at this when I will have the time. Do you use noise parameters (like mg_biome_np_heat) to change the properties of biomes?
You can nearly completely customize the mapgen, this works for biomes, but also for terrain shape (but more complicated), with noise parameters. The problem is that these parameters are unreadable for the regular user, and something I wanted to do some time ago was to find some simply understandable parameters like "mountain height", "river width", "hills slope" (just giving random things to show what I mean) and automatically translate them in terms of noise parameters.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Devy

by Devy » Post

Gael de Sailly wrote:Looks interesting. I must take a look at this when I will have the time. Do you use noise parameters (like mg_biome_np_heat) to change the properties of biomes?
You can nearly completely customize the mapgen, this works for biomes, but also for terrain shape (but more complicated), with noise parameters. The problem is that these parameters are unreadable for the regular user, and something I wanted to do some time ago was to find some simply understandable parameters like "mountain height", "river width", "hills slope" (just giving random things to show what I mean) and automatically translate them in terms of noise parameters.
That is exactly what I do. If you look on the Github page and in the init.lua file you can see the functions. I'm having luck modifying the biomes but it doesn't like to accept the flags I give it. If I use things like "nocave", or "nodungeon" it still generates them.

It would be very nice to be able to modify select parameters like the ones you mentioned. I'll have to play around with the noise settings and see what happens.

First, though, I'll have to get the basics worked out. Thanks for your interest.

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi, thank you for your fast response!!!!

I try to insert the code that you have posted... but the problem persist:

I downloaded the latest "bettermapgensettings-master";
I edit the "bettermapgensettings-master/mainmenu/init.lua" file with your code (see image below);
I renamed the .../Minetest/minetest-0.5.0-f470cb7-win64\builtin\mainmenu/init.lua already present in this folder like backup.init.lua;
I copy/paste in this directory the "bettermapgensettings-master/mainmenu/init.lua" file;
I start Minetest, but the problem persist...

what I wrong? (please be patient.....)

Thanks again,

R

Devy

by Devy » Post

Codesound wrote:Hi, thank you for your fast response!!!!

I try to insert the code that you have posted... but the problem persist:

I downloaded the latest "bettermapgensettings-master";
I edit the "bettermapgensettings-master/mainmenu/init.lua" file with your code (see image below);
I renamed the .../Minetest/minetest-0.5.0-f470cb7-win64\builtin\mainmenu/init.lua already present in this folder like backup.init.lua;
I copy/paste in this directory the "bettermapgensettings-master/mainmenu/init.lua" file;
I start Minetest, but the problem persist...

what I wrong? (please be patient.....)

Thanks again,

R

I see. Get rid of the "init.lua" file you have in the "builtin/mainmenu" folder. After that is gone, rename your "backup.init.lua" file back to "init.lua". Then make the edits I suggested.

Also, just in case, after you rename "backup.init.lua" and before you make the line edits, make another backup of the "init.lua". You could name it something like "backup2.init.lua" just so you know how many times you have made backups of it.

If you get lost, you could redownload the latest version of Minetest again and then make a backup and do the line edits.

See, you were supposed to edit the "/Minetest/minetest-0.5.0-f470cb7-win64\builtin\mainmenu/init.lua" file and not rename it. You want to edit the "init.lua" file that came with 0.5.0

I hope that helps!

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Hi,

Works! Thanks...

I unzip and put in the Minetest/mods folder one new "bettermapgensettings" mod and
I simply edit the "../minetest-0.5.0-f470cb7-win64\builtin\mainmenu\init.lua" file adding your code (se image below).

Thanks a lot also for your great support....

R

Skulls
In-game: Skulls

by Skulls » Post

Devy wrote:Also, I'm not sure about regenerating areas yet. I may be able to make a setting that deletes areas you have explored already and replace it with the new settings. I'm absolutely not sure yet though.
From the discussion at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16699&p=271344&hil ... te#p271344 it looks like World Edit's //deleteblocks (which calls minetest.delete_area(pos1, pos2) ) triggers the block to be regenerated.

So maybe so? I'm assuming the noise params are deterministicly generated.

srifqi
GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Post

Reminds me of PR #2561.
Saya dari Indonesia! · Terjemahkan Minetest! · my mods · My nickname in IPA: /es.rif.qi/