[Mod]lower Crossroads [lowercrossroads]

Deadlock
In-game: Jimmey

[Mod]lower Crossroads [lowercrossroads]

by Deadlock » Post

lower Crossroads
===============

Based on the thelowerroad mod,
this mod adds a configurable grid of lowerroads to the map.

implemented features:
an option to raise the height of the anchor-points of the road at the start and end of every mapchunk
and an option to disable roadbuilding on the ocean.

currently working on:
more decorations: signs

planned features:
more decorations: fountains and little settlements(buildings provided by Otter),damaged sections and traps

to investigate:
possible interoperability with mg_villages

License: The MIT License (MIT)
Dependencies: default, stairs, farming
Optional Dependencies: lualandmg?

Compatibility with Mapgens: generally works with all mapgens which provide a heightmap via minetest.get_mapgen_object works better when a heatmap is provided as well.

Fully compatible with : v5, v7, flat, fractal, valleys, lualandmg
Compatible with slightly different behaviour with: v6

Git: https://github.com/Distributed-DeadLock/lowercrossroads

Download: https://github.com/Distributed-DeadLock ... master.zip
Last edited by Deadlock on Thu Dec 28, 2017 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlock

Re: [Mod]lower Crossroads [lowercrossroads]

by Deadlock » Post

I just checked the building examples, otter sent me.
they are nice, the style is matching the 2 hotter road types.
but they are to large.
the space where you can place buildings safely is quite limited;
nothing should be placed outside the current mapchunk(at least not on the X and Z axis)
and you need to consider the most extreme road shape possible, e.g.:
road = grey / - / save house placing area = green

If i limit the maximum "sinspread" for the road to 27 (currently 40/should have been 37),
i can allow for 7x7 buildings with a 3 deep triangular area in front for "patios"/pathways/entrance-sections.
Attachments
extreme-road-example.png
extreme-road-example.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 864 times

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

Love it! +1
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Deadlock

by Deadlock » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:Love it! +1
thanks!

i just added the option to adjust the base height for the roads (affect only the anchor-points at the mapchunk borders)

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

They really seem to fit the terrain! you should try making an MG_villlage mod too, to see how you would make it fit the landscape!

Otter
GitHub: InfiniteOtter
In-game: Otter

by Otter » Post

Deadlock wrote:I just checked the building examples, otter sent me.
they are nice, the style is matching the 2 hotter road types.
but they are to large.
the space where you can place buildings safely is quite limited;
nothing should be placed outside the current mapchunk(at least not on the X and Z axis)
and you need to consider the most extreme road shape possible, e.g.:
road = grey / - / save house placing area = green

If i limit the maximum "sinspread" for the road to 27 (currently 40/should have been 37),
i can allow for 7x7 buildings with a 3 deep triangular area in front for "patios"/pathways/entrance-sections.
I thought they might be a bit big, but first I decided to go for as close to accurate as possible with the basic set of blocks.
I will start working on copies of the sort of building they put in smaller western towns so they will fit in a 7x7 grid. I will have to do a lot of it from memory since they were not built to the same standards and when towns died there was nothing to keep them going. A lot of ghost towns are just foundations now. The highways bypassed these town or the trees were cut or the fertility dropped because of lead mines.7x7 will do nicely, How tall can I go? Western towns rarely ever went over 2 stories and 3 stories where rare. But grain silos and water tower/cisterns could be a bit higher.

In a lot of towns in Texas, the old roads would wind around like crazy often with 90 degree turns as they weave around various plots of land and connect to bridges. When the road reaches a town the lines straighten out and the center of town is on a nice even grid. If you want an occasional large town, you could straighten a single road between two junctions and line it with buildings. That would kind of match with a lot of old towns I have driven through.

Otter

by Otter » Post

A lot of buildings in the smaller Texas towns are now front steps, a square ring of stone that the wooden floor once rested on and a fireplace with a half fallen chimney. For every gathering of five or six houses and two small shops there are usually twenty of the time or fire burned houses on plots nearby. There is also a nice large graveyard on the highest, gentle, nearby slope. Add a silo, a small water tower, a tiny church and one odd 2 story brick building with an inexplicable sign and you have described half the small towns you will drive through if you get off the major highways. The two story brick building may or may not, still have a roof.

It is however hard to do old back road Texas right, without rusted tin roofs with a low slope, and barbed wire. I am sticking to the basic materials so until Paramat adds thatch, tin roofs and barbed wire, the time decayed ruins will be more accurate.

Deadlock

by Deadlock » Post

i just implemented the option to disable building on water. the results are not 100% convincing, but i leave it in for now.

and thanks DIABLO, i'll keep that in mind, for future adventures in worldgen.

also glad, you can live with the limitations, Otter. The hight of the buildings are theoretically unlimited.
everything up to 6 blocks high can be placed on the voxelmanip-object without further testing;
for higher buildings, i either need to test before placing if they fit on the voxelmanip-object, or place them directly on the map after the road creation.
thanks for the insight in Texas towns.
If you want an occasional large town, you could straighten a single road between two junctions and line it with buildings.
unfortunately, that won't be possible, the road is directly tied to the sinus-function.

Gorilla

by Gorilla » Post

This mod is excellent. Tried it wirh te mg_villages mod and it's passable.

Some minor tweaks may need to be done (by a human builder) to fix broken roads where the mg_village overwrites the terrain from this mod.

Deadlock

by Deadlock » Post

Gorilla wrote:This mod is excellent. Tried it wirh te mg_villages mod and it's passable.
Some minor tweaks may need to be done (by a human builder) to fix broken roads where the mg_village overwrites the terrain from this mod.
Thank you.

I put investigation on possible interactions with mg_village on my list.

azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

maybe ask for optionnal support to the author?

Deadlock

by Deadlock » Post

azekill_DIABLO wrote:maybe ask for optionnal support to the author?
yes, that's probably the way to go.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Deadlock wrote: I put investigation on possible interactions with mg_village on my list.
Some way of road building/connection of villages is also on my todo list. Just not sure when I'll be able to find the time. The general idea is to have a straight road with right angles that connects at least some villages. Currently the main road inside the village (moving in z direction) is often not well accessible due to not beeing connected to anything.

Areas inside a village can easily be detected, so roads might be able to react if they find one in rheir mapchunk.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Deadlock

by Deadlock » Post

I got the flu, everything hurts right now. I'll report back once i've recovered.
Happy New Year, everyone.

Otter

by Otter » Post

Get well soon! Fluids, rest and a happy new year!

jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

by jonadab » Post

Minor nitpick: currently, the posts lining the edges of the road are all made from the same material (default/apple tree wood fence). Ideally, they should be made of different materials in different areas, similar to the way the road itself uses different materials in different places. At minimum, pine wood fence could be used in snowy/coniferous areas, jungle wood fence in jungles, acacia wood fence in savannah. If you want to take it even further, it might be possible to use regular or mossy cobblestone walls in some areas, and I'm not sure what else. Perhaps if the moretrees mod is installed, other woods could be used where appropriate.

jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

by jonadab » Post

Also, minor glitch in the interaction with flora placement: I found a place were there is maram grass but the sand it was supposed to be growing on isn't there because it was cut out to make the road. Screenshot at http://jonadab.jumpingcrab.com/pastebin/1157.png

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The crossroads are really nice. I'm working on something similar right now: Straight roads that go from -z to +z. The focus lies less on having a road go over the entire map than on having small paths/roads inside settlements.
A list of my mods can be found here.