[Mod] Terumetal [v2.4] (Armor, doors & more new)

Terumoc
GitHub: Terumoc
In-game: Terumoc

[Mod] Terumetal [v2.4] (Armor, doors & more new)

by Terumoc » Post

Newest Additions:

Support for legacy/stable Minetest 0.4.17!!

An armor set for each of the six Terumetal alloys (when played alongside stujones11's 3d_armor):

An additional type of armor - bracers - which each provide a special effect when worn (but only 1 at a time):

• Aqua Bracers: allow underwater breathing
  • Jump Bracers: higher jumping ability (can jump about 2 blocks up)
  • Speed Bracers: faster movement speed
  • Antigravity Bracers: reduces effect of gravity (makes you more floaty & reduces fall damage)
  • Defense Bracers: provide a big boost to defense stat
  • Heal Bracers: provide a big boost to heal stat
You also can check out the specific stats of each armor set on the changelog.

Also, doors for each alloy, in 4 different styles:

This mod is a gameplay mod that adds one new ore to the world which can be used to alloy with already existing Minetest metals to make better tools. Additionally, it provides several machines that run on heat power to do the alloying as well as provide a great deal of convenience like:
  • ore doubling/tripling
  • fast cooking/smelting
  • creating lava
  • growing mese crystals
  • repairing tools
  • crushing items for further processing or convenience
  • pressed wood, a type of wood that can be made in greater yield than regular planks
  • various ways to generate and distribute heat energy used by machinery

Important: Mod version 2.1 and later are intended for use with in-development Minetest version 5.0.0!
Do not upgrade beyond 2.0 if you are intending to continue playing with Minetest 0.4.X!!
Version 2.0 and prior were made for Minetest version 0.4.16, but work perfectly fine in 0.4.17.X

An introduction of how to use the mod's elements can be found on Github at https://github.com/Terumoc/terumet/blob ... /README.md

The changelog for what's been updated across versions since initial release can be found here: https://github.com/Terumoc/terumet/blob ... angelog.md

Github: https://github.com/Terumoc/terumet
Direct download: https://github.com/Terumoc/terumet/releases/tag/v2.2
To install: Unzip the download to any temporary location and move the "terumet" folder inside the ZIP file to your mods folder. Everything else is development related and is not needed to use the mod and can be deleted after moving the mod folder out.

Issues/Bugs/Crashes: Known issues with the mod are posted on the Github page at https://github.com/Terumoc/terumet/issues - you are welcome to add any others that you run across using the mod, whether crashes, bugs, or exploits.

I also highly suggest using unified_inventory for crafting and machine recipe assistance.

Additionally the wiki is in progress to describe the basics of every element the mod adds:
https://github.com/Terumoc/terumet/wiki
Let me know if you might be interested in assisting with the wiki, since right now it is my lowest priority but is an important tool for players.
Last edited by Terumoc on Sat Jan 26, 2019 04:30, edited 45 times in total.
Maker of Terumetal and Teruview mods at https://github.com/Terumoc

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

Re: [mod] Terumetal - Alloying for better tools [terumet]

by ChimneySwift » Post

huh! that's so cool!
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Sweet! +1 for the idea.
What is SCP-055?

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

noice

also happy new year everybody!
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Mind if I make some armors for the alloys in my armor mod sometime?
What is SCP-055?

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

tried it out and I have 5 things to say
1 very well done the formspec and textures are quite nice
2 maybe make the stone from the lava come in the output slot not fuel slot this would make it much less annoying
3 perhaps make it compatible with unified_inventorys crafting guide so you can easily find out which materials make which alloys(idk how to do this but there Is an API I think, might take some reading for this one)
4 not sure if you ever plan to in the future but adding more machines for more than just alloying or more tools/blocks/stuff than just a set of tools would be great
5 this is the closest thing I have ever found to a Minecraft ender io alloy machine (great job!)
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Chem871 wrote:Mind if I make some armors for the alloys in my armor mod sometime?
You are more than welcome to! Armor is one of the things I know nothing about at this stage. I don't even know much about damage or mobs either, since I usually play without any mobs at all.
RSLRedstonier wrote:tried it out and I have 5 things to say
1 very well done the formspec and textures are quite nice
2 maybe make the stone from the lava come in the output slot not fuel slot this would make it much less annoying
3 perhaps make it compatible with unified_inventorys crafting guide so you can easily find out which materials make which alloys(idk how to do this but there Is an API I think, might take some reading for this one)
4 not sure if you ever plan to in the future but adding more machines for more than just alloying or more tools/blocks/stuff than just a set of tools would be great
5 this is the closest thing I have ever found to a Minecraft ender io alloy machine (great job!)
First of all, thank you very much for the feedback! I'm glad you found it interesting enough to try out on your own but even moreso that you told me what you think.

1) Thank you, I probably spent too much time on the graphical side of things but it makes for a nice break when I'm tired of the technical stuff.

2) I definitely understand the feeling of it being annoying and in fact that was kind of the intent of the mechanic. I wanted to make it feel like you had to actually go into the machine and take out the stone manually so it's in a different slot and doesn't allow shift-clicking. In the future this might change as I would like lava to be the "basic" way to heat machines like the Smelter and other heat sources will not have "waste" to deal with.

3) This is definitely a future goal. I will certainly have to read up on how unified_inventory works -- that's probably the one mod I will never play without simply because it's so informative. I really like having a lot of information in-game so I have another really simple mod on Github that tells you about things you click: https://github.com/Terumoc/teruview (if you haven't seen it)

4) Absolutely. I really only started Minetest modding a few weeks ago after I got completely sick of that "other" voxel game's terrible performance and how annoying and bloated the modding situation is for it. This whole mod just started as my foray into learning Minetest--you originally made the alloys by hand then smelted them--but that was boring and uninteresting. So I came up with something a little different both for interest's sake and as a learning opportunity.

5) Thanks for the awfully high praise! It's certainly not nearly as complex as that machine, but some of the idea definitely came from that plus Tinker's Construct lava-powered smelteries. I always enjoyed the idea of making alloys so I guess that's where I started.

In any case since it's been a lazy day off this first day of 2018 (Happy New Year to everyone, too!) I've been messing around with v1.1 all day which was just put up. The biggest changes are reflected in the readme, but here they are also:

v1.1
* What the Smelter is currently processing now displays on the GUI in the center, rather than just in text.
* To make it feel a bit less pointless, when the lava in the Smelter is fully used up you now get regular stone (aka smooth stone) back instead of cobblestone. Saves you a little cooking cobblestone I guess?
* The smelter now lights up and changes textures when there is heat.
* It's no longer possible to theoretically get a Smelter 'stuck' without heat and not showing the fuel slot because the heat-using system was completely rewritten.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Have you thought about making alloys for mese and other mods' materials?
What is SCP-055?

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

1) Thank you, I probably spent too much time on the graphical side of things but it makes for a nice break when I'm tired of the technical stuff.
well you can never really have to much graphical machines

also I am using this in my skyfactory modpack and can see that you will be making many updates in the near future so I don't want to tamper with the code to much incase you release an update that changes everything and there is just 1 problem I get

I'm in a void world so I cant get ores the traditional way sure I have highly complex machines that can generate any ore in the game even ones from mods out of the void but by the time I create on of those arcane quarries and get enough power for it I already have tools that are far superior to the tools offered by this mod which cinda makes it not worth it

I could easily fix this by making my sieves compatible with this ore lump but I don't think that would work very well
what I suggest is that the alloy furnace doesn't use teru metel to craft and allows you to allow diamonds and mese or some combination in the alloy furnace to get teru lumps to then make other alloys

I would do this my self but I'm terrible at formspecs

this is just a suggestion but if not implemented ill find another way

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Chem871 wrote:Have you thought about making alloys for mese and other mods' materials?
Mese will definitely be used but not as a normal alloy, more as a crafting material for more advanced machines or heat sources. I just added some new alloying recipes and one is with mese, in fact.

As for other mods, that is something I would like to interact with more--especially with providing alloying recipes through unified_inventory--but that is currently a long-term goal. Interacting with other mods ore or materials is something that will happen eventually though.
RSLRedstonier wrote: well you can never really have to much graphical machines

also I am using this in my skyfactory modpack and can see that you will be making many updates in the near future so I don't want to tamper with the code to much incase you release an update that changes everything and there is just 1 problem I get

I'm in a void world so I cant get ores the traditional way sure I have highly complex machines that can generate any ore in the game even ones from mods out of the void but by the time I create on of those arcane quarries and get enough power for it I already have tools that are far superior to the tools offered by this mod which cinda makes it not worth it

I could easily fix this by making my sieves compatible with this ore lump but I don't think that would work very well
what I suggest is that the alloy furnace doesn't use teru metel to craft and allows you to allow diamonds and mese or some combination in the alloy furnace to get teru lumps to then make other alloys

I would do this my self but I'm terrible at formspecs

this is just a suggestion but if not implemented ill find another way
Oh that's really interesting, I haven't even considered how this could be used in a void-style world modpack conveniently yet! I've really focused on a more vanilla gameplay style for the basics this far. This is the sort of thing I will consider more about as I make more progress with it, too.

Right now, I can just say that all that needs to be done to open the entirety of the mod in any game or modpack is provide some way to get terumetal lumps (terumet:lump_raw) - that's the only new thing added that is needed. So putting some method of sifting or the like that yields lumps or ore (terumet:ore_raw/terumet:ore_raw_desert) will be all that's needed to open up the alloy smelter. Even as I add new things, this should be true since I don't want to add too much worldgen-related stuff.

And yes, the tools really are intended to be just a general upgrade to the vanilla ones right now since I got tired of how mediocre they were during my own playing. But the alloys should have additional uses soon, as well as more machines and reasons to want an Alloy Smelter. Until then you can just hold off of including it in your modpack if you like since I can understand the mod doesn't provide much else right now :)

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Terumoc wrote: Right now, I can just say that all that needs to be done to open the entirety of the mod in any game or modpack is provide some way to get terumetal lumps (terumet:lump_raw) - that's the only new thing added that is needed. So putting some method of sifting or the like that yields lumps or ore (terumet:ore_raw/terumet:ore_raw_desert) will be all that's needed to open up the alloy smelter. Even as I add new things, this should be true since I don't want to add too much worldgen-related stuff.

And yes, the tools really are intended to be just a general upgrade to the vanilla ones right now since I got tired of how mediocre they were during my own playing. But the alloys should have additional uses soon, as well as more machines and reasons to want an Alloy Smelter.
ok ty I'm going to be adding a geo sieve along side the other sieves that should be able to yield any register_ore material with more or less accuracy

also I will be making this a dependency to my skytest mod in a near done update to be able to use to craft some of the more complex machines with alloys

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Just a note that I had a bit of time tonight to do some work and v1.3 is now available at Github.

No major new machines or tools yet (probably not for a bit until work gets off my back) but visual changes and also support for unified_inventory! It was surprisingly easy to add listings for alloy smelter recipes.

I'll definitely make a bigger update to the thread when it goes to 2.0

TechNolaByte

Re: [mod] Terumetal (v1.3) [terumet]

by TechNolaByte » Post

oh wow sweet I seem to have missed the release of 1.2 and 1.3 with 1.4 in the progress
me thinking that I could update it to 1.1 for just unified inventory support was waiting a while until I had all the necessary Ingredients in my survival world only to upgrade and find awesome new stuff like coils and new alloys
noice!

though tbh your code is far more complex than I thought it would be I legit have no clue why it is so complicated though it does add a nice internal api for devs to easily add new alloys

Chem871

Re: [mod] Terumetal (v1.3) [terumet]

by Chem871 » Post

How did you increase the speed of the furnace? Also, is this hopper compatible?
What is SCP-055?

Terumoc

Re: [mod] Terumetal (v1.5) [terumet]

by Terumoc » Post

Chem871 wrote:How did you increase the speed of the furnace? Also, is this hopper compatible?
While you cannot presently make the furnace faster itself, in v1.5 I added a new machine that processes ores that yields materials which are alloyed or smelted much faster.

And no, assuming you're talking about the "hoppers" mod on the forum here, I took a look and it seems to be completely hard-coded to use vanilla furnaces only. If it gets expanded with an API or there's another hopper mod around let me know!
RSLRedstonier wrote:oh wow sweet I seem to have missed the release of 1.2 and 1.3 with 1.4 in the progress
me thinking that I could update it to 1.1 for just unified inventory support was waiting a while until I had all the necessary Ingredients in my survival world only to upgrade and find awesome new stuff like coils and new alloys
noice!

though tbh your code is far more complex than I thought it would be I legit have no clue why it is so complicated though it does add a nice internal api for devs to easily add new alloys
Yeah, I apologize a bit for how much I've been working on it and changing everything. I know that you're interested in using it for your modpack and I promise I'm not trying to break it on purpose when I'm adding new things. But, some good news is that I made the API much simpler in v1.5 so now you can add new stuff if you like much more easily.

If you need any help in figuring out how/why I do things the way I do in the mod, feel free to ask any specific questions in private message or anything. I don't mind helping you understand anything you might not. I'm much more used to object-oriented languages like C# or Java and I tend to write even Lua code in that same manner.

Oh and yes, this is a general announcement that v1.5 is now up on the github! I also added a "project" on the github page to remind me what I want to finish for the eventual v2 which will be more fleshed out in all aspects (still a lot I want to do is missing...)

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

There is another mod that has a machine that functions as a hopper, it can only go down though, I think. It's the tubelib mod, and its extensions.
What is SCP-055?

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Chem871 wrote:There is another mod that has a machine that functions as a hopper, it can only go down though, I think. It's the tubelib mod, and its extensions.
Oh interesting, I'll check it out then. Thanks!

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

I won't be making pure terumetal into an armor, it would be too brittle, and not worth it.
What is SCP-055?

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

[quote="Terumoc"]Yeah, I apologize a bit for how much I've been working on it and changing everything. I know that you're interested in using it for your modpack and I promise I'm not trying to break it on purpose when I'm adding new things. But, some good news is that I made the API much simpler in v1.5 so now you can add new stuff if you like much more easily.

If you need any help in figuring out how/why I do things the way I do in the mod, feel free to ask any specific questions in private message or anything. I don't mind helping you understand anything you might not. I'm much more used to object-oriented languages like C# or Java and I tend to write even Lua code in that same manner.
quote]

its not really hard at all to change a few IDs

also there's nothing bad with object-oriented coding its just I never really bothered to go that deep into any of it in any languages

Terumoc

Re: [mod] Terumetal (v1.6 update) [terumet]

by Terumoc » Post

release v1.6 up! Since so much has changed since 1.0 I also updated the first post to list everything available in the mod at this point, as well.

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Thermese, I like it :) Reusable heat, cool idea.
What is SCP-055?

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

just look how far this mod has come in ONLY 8 days!

from only adding 2 ore blocks to world gen a few alloys and 1 machine to
tons of machines alloys and awesome sauce

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Terumoc, for the purposes of making the armor, I need to know how much damage each sword does.
What is SCP-055?

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

that formspec! +1 be sure I will give it a try in voxellar!
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Chem871

by Chem871 » Post

Why do thermese blocks turn into mese crystal fragments in a high-heat furnace?
What is SCP-055?