[Mod] Terumetal [v2.4] (Armor, doors & more new)

TechNolaByte
GitHub: TechNolaByte

Re: [Mod] Terumetal [v1.9][terumet]

by TechNolaByte » Post

btw what application do you use for your textures?
gimp?
cause your textures are really cool
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Terumoc
GitHub: Terumoc
In-game: Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Chem871 wrote:So you mean heat rays can travel through crops?
They should. Specifically what it looks for is if the nodedef has

Code: Select all

sunlight_propagates = true
in its properties, which covers anything that allows light to pass. Looking at the default farming mod, crop nodes have this property so it should.
RSLRedstonier wrote:btw what application do you use for your textures?
gimp?
cause your textures are really cool
Yeah, just GIMP. There's a (very lazy) XCF file for the file I've made all the textures in at the base directory. I just export that as a png and use the python script to split it up into the individual textures for minetest.
Maker of Terumetal and Teruview mods at https://github.com/Terumoc

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Terumoc wrote:Yeah, just GIMP. There's a (very lazy) XCF file for the file I've made all the textures in at the base directory. I just export that as a png and use the python script to split it up into the individual textures for minetest.
0_0
didn't know that could be done...
for my textures I either use other textures and colorize or change them a bit
or just create each texture indavidually
The great quest of alchemy neither failed nor attained gold; programmers are those great alchemists who transmute caffeine into code.

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote: 0_0
didn't know that could be done...
for my textures I either use other textures and colorize or change them a bit
or just create each texture indavidually
I find it much easier to work on one big sheet of textures for the whole mod. It lets you easily look at other parts to borrow from and really contributes to a consistent color scheme and theme.

You can see "split_textures.py" in the base directory to see the fast and lazy way I do the splitting from the png I export. It just requires the python package "Wand" installed which allows you to do image editing functions like cropping. It's so much easier than doing it manually, I probably would have gone insane if I had to cut up the textures by hand every time I change things.

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

how bout upgrades for the thermos box, thermos distributer, and heat rays?
perhaps a faster moving ray upgrade
or a more heat transference upgrade
maybe make them by default lose a little heat though transference and then add a upgrade that makes them more efficient

Terumoc

Re: [Mod] Terumetal [v1.10][terumet]

by Terumoc » Post

Uggggh, I really need to take some time to do some GUI cleanup soon. With the last few additions the formspecs for machines are starting to get pretty messy

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

OooooOoooo what's the little bronze ingot button for?
an on/off switch?

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Yes, it's for switching between making bronze and teruchalcum, I read the changelog for 1.11.
What is SCP-055?

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

oh derp

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Things have been quiet lately but I'm still working on things, don't worry.

Work has kept me busy lately, plus I've been working on a major overhaul of the entire formspec system for machines that will be easier to maintain and probably less wasteful of server time/resources. This big change will definitely be a 2.0 release.

More info as it gets closer to done!

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Terumoc wrote:Things have been quiet lately but I'm still working on things, don't worry.

Work has kept me busy lately, plus I've been working on a major overhaul of the entire formspec system for machines that will be easier to maintain and probably less wasteful of server time/resources. This big change will definitely be a 2.0 release.

More info as it gets closer to done!
I'm very excited!

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

SOON™

(by the way, don't bother trying it out from the repo yet, ONLY the alloy smelter has been updated to the new system and all other machines will crash, so it's really nowhere ready)

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

[quote="Terumoc"]Imagequote]
dat looks SICK!

keep up the good work!

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Solar Heaters should be easier to understand since they now have a meter display of the light situation. The yellow bar is light while the dark green is nearby interference from torches/other artificial light sources. So how much of a yellow bar is visible gives you an idea of how much effective heat you're getting.

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

hmm I think the fire like button is to enable/disable heat moving from the gen to the machine using it?

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote:hmm I think the fire like button is to enable/disable heat moving from the gen to the machine using it?
Oh yeah, you can now enable/disable heat transfer for any machine or heater. That's what that button is for.

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

Terumoc wrote:
RSLRedstonier wrote:hmm I think the fire like button is to enable/disable heat moving from the gen to the machine using it?
Oh yeah, you can now enable/disable heat transfer for any machine or heater. That's what that button is for.
neat!
also SOO useful

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

It still has some tweaking to do, but here's some video of the new top tier heater in action: https://youtu.be/f666MNAaEKE

(oh and please excuse the music, I'm usually listening to something while working and didn't realize my capture was picking it up. Next time I'll remember to pause it before taking WIP video)

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Music is great while you're doing things :P There's a thread in off-topic where you can post your favorite tunes.
What is SCP-055?

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

the top tier heater looks sick also here are some suggestions for it
1.turns lava into obsidian
2.turns stone to cobble
3.turns fire into air
4.can burn all vegetation (plant type)
5.any node with the group tag {hu=<amount of heat given>} so modders can easily add their nodes to the able to generate heat list(like say some sort of quantum heater block which gives like {hu=623782547253} per block

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Yep, it already does a lot of that:
(each step occurs with one "pass" of the machine)

water -> ice
lava -> obsidian
stone -> cobblestone -> gravel -> silver sand
sandstone -> sand
leaves -> air
coal block -> stone w/coal -> stone
grassy dirt -> dirt (renewable, obviously)
air gives a little heat without modification

I'm definitely considering adding vegetation in general, like the papyrus around the machine in the video. Having it untouched feels kind of weird.

The idea of supporting groups definitely a good one, the only problem is that groups only allow you to set a single number attributed to it. A single number works fine for determining how many heat units can be extracted, but the other attributes like how long it takes and what it turns into after extraction aren't as easy to set that way. Right now there is just a table that you can add your own node names to.

Oh and 2.0 is nearly ready for a proper release, the only broken thing that hasn't been updated yet is custom machines and the API really will need a rewrite for the new formspec system.

Added: Here's what the area from the video looks like after 2 passes of the machine: Image

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

ah ok
perhaps make the table a global table so it can be accessed and have things added to it from sub mods without having to modify the original mod?

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

RSLRedstonier wrote:ah ok
perhaps make the table a global table so it can be accessed and have things added to it from sub mods without having to modify the original mod?
Yeah, I'll be adding API-style functions that let you add other nodes in other mods without having to look at the details of how the table works in my mod.

I'm a bit overdue providing this for most of the machine functions really, I should add those before releasing 2.0 too.

Terumoc

by Terumoc » Post

Version 2.0 is basically done at this point and up on the repo. There are a lot of changes, especially "under the hood" and with the API so check out the changelog and interop/terumet_api.lua carefully.

I haven't made it a full release yet because I really need to update most of the readme and screenshots and it's just way too late to do that now. I'll try to actually do a proper release soon. In the meantime, enjoy!

TechNolaByte

by TechNolaByte » Post

YAY!