[Mod] Mapgen from geographical data [geo-mapgen] (Biomes!)

bobomb

GitHub: bobombolo
IRC: bobomb

Re: [Mod] Mapgen from geographical data [geo-mapgen] (Biomes

by bobomb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 17:05

Another approach to cropping/scaling would be to define an extent using real world coordinates (manually entering long/lat or UTM coords), or selecting the extent from a shapefile that you have created for the purpose, or from the extent of one of your input files. Many QGIS tools already act this way. Then you can set your x/y/z scale and then using gdal you can sample the source files (possibly taking a neighborhood average) rather than handling them pixel by pixel. It's a different approach but it eliminates issues with large DEM files, resolution or extent mismatches, and lends itself to future features better (using vector inputs, querying map services, etc).

bobomb

by bobomb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 17:51

Is there any reason why this project shouldn't BE a QGIS tool? anybody interested in this kind of thing would be able to install and run QGIS. It would eliminate the need to make a custom tkInter GUI tool. it would bring people from the QGIS world to the minetest world.

bobomb

bobomb

bobomb

by bobomb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 19:09

On windows the best way to install QGIS and gdal is OSGEO4W
http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/osgeo4w-setup.exe
This installs a newer version of QGIS than the default installed on most linux distros.
For linux you must install the unstable repo to get the most recent QGIS.
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/a ... html#linux
Basically, don't waste your time with QGIS 2.x

bobomb

by bobomb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 19:13

It would be nice to save the settings in the tkinter form. This would allow for saving presets for comparison and sharing. It would be nice if the final form of the mod shipped with some presets including some datasets so that right out of the box you can play on a world map, Canada map, France map, etc. DEMs are too big for this so the mod would have to work with smaller files (vector based files).

bobomb

bobomb

by bobomb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 20:31

the final database format should include underground geoformations, soil layers, aquifers and also bathymetry.

Gael de Sailly

GitHub: Gael-de-Sailly
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly

by Gael de Sailly » Sun Oct 14, 2018 23:40

Well... I was not expecting to have so many posts to read, let me answer your questions one by one.

bobomb wrote:it would be way better to use GDAL to extract this data anyway so that you can scale and distort it using map projections rather than image tools.

It is already using GDAL, btw you need to have this lib installed if you want to use the python script.

bobomb wrote:it would be nice to have real world coordinates available to the player in the game but I can't think how to do it best.

This would need to convert MT coordinates into lat/lon, using the projection. but the Lua has no access to GDAL. We could still implement a conversion function for several particular projections like Mercator.

bobomb wrote:Another approach to cropping/scaling would be to define an extent using real world coordinates (manually entering long/lat or UTM coords), or selecting the extent from a shapefile that you have created for the purpose, or from the extent of one of your input files. Many QGIS tools already act this way. Then you can set your x/y/z scale and then using gdal you can sample the source files (possibly taking a neighborhood average) rather than handling them pixel by pixel.

I'm not sure to understand everything but it seems that it's already what I do. I use GDAL to reproject and/or resample the image: https://github.com/Gael-de-Sailly/geo-mapgen/blob/master/map_transform.py#L134

bobomb wrote:Is there any reason why this project shouldn't BE a QGIS tool? anybody interested in this kind of thing would be able to install and run QGIS. It would eliminate the need to make a custom tkInter GUI tool. it would bring people from the QGIS world to the minetest world.

This, is a very interesting way to explore, would make it much easier to install and allow a cleaner interface. This idea has already crossed my mind, but I had chosen to stick on plain Python until I have something working, and possibly turning it into a QGIS plugin after. But as always, once it was working, I spent my time exploring my worlds and forgot everything else xD

bobomb wrote:It would be nice to save the settings in the tkinter form. This would allow for saving presets for comparison and sharing.

Yea the content of the form should be stored somewhere, also to find again the same parameters on next use if you often use the same. Also would be nice to store the params in some metadata of the database.

bobomb wrote:It would be nice if the final form of the mod shipped with some presets including some datasets so that right out of the box you can play on a world map, Canada map, France map, etc. DEMs are too big for this so the mod would have to work with smaller files (vector based files).

I'm hesitant to pack big files in the download, that not everyone will use. This can discourage some people with very low internet from downloading the mod. I think we should always keep a light, purely functional download, and provide in addition, either easily downloadable presets, or another version including these presets.

bobomb wrote:the final database format should include underground geoformations, soil layers, aquifers and also bathymetry.

Bathymetry is already supported, just use a negative value for elevation. Current presets (Alps and High-res world) just doesn't use it because of the input data I was using. For the other features, it would need a 3D geological model, and I very highly doubt this could be found easily on the web. Maybe I can find some 2D data of geological land cover for France or US, there are already things to do with that.

Thank you very much for your interest. You have excellent ideas, and you are giving me motivation to work on this again (this project has been a bit abandoned too for the last 6 months). By being several at working on a project, we can move mountains, but literally in our case ;)
Contributor of Minetest and OpenStreetMap, on Ubuntu 16.04. ~ ~ ~ Meet me on MinetestForFun, VanessaE's Basic, Capture the Flag and Inside the Box.

bobomb

by bobomb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 18:52

thanks for replying to my many posts, i also am excited about this.
regarding the real world coordinates, if we stuck to UTM we could use simple maths to convert. if we wanted long/lat maybe we can embed the coordinates in param1 or param2 of a node every so often (the chunk corner?) and do some simple maths to at least approximate...

Previous

Return to WIP Mods