[Mod] lib_materials [lib_materials][git]

ShadMOrdre

GitHub: ShadMOrdre
In-game: shadmordre

[Mod] lib_materials [lib_materials][git]

by ShadMOrdre » Fri Jan 19, 2018 22:39

MAJOR UPDATE: 2019-08-21

UPDATES:
1. Can be used without default, is completely dependency free.
2. Now includes buckets, fluidity, fluid_lib, and nodeio functionality. All liquids use this functionality.
3. Stands in as replacement for vessels, which has been folded into the above liquids functionality.

lib_materials is a central repository of stone, dirt, sand, clay, baked clay, glass, ores, metals, minerals, and fluids, such as lava, water and oil. This mod attempts to distribute the various nodes according to thier natural distribution in the real world.

Included are 16 dirts with an additional 16 "grass covers", 6 sands, over 100 stones, including brick, cobble, gravel, and block variations for some, 5 water types, 2 lava types, and numerous decorative stones.

This mod also creates over 200 biomes, and within those biomes, generates additional "ecosystems", upon which plants and trees from lib_ecology will naturally spawn.

Can be used standalone, in new or existing worlds! It is best used with lib_ecology.

The ultimate goal is to categorize and enumerate the various materials types that are currently scattered across multiple mods, and combine them in one central location, with known properties and access to definitions.

Materials to be included are pretty much any node that can be considered a chemical element, earth aggregate, mineral, and even organic materials. As such, all stone, sand, dirt, tree, wood, leaf, grass, water, lava, oil, ore, and others will be categorized, orgranized, enumerated, and possibly overridden, or simply reproduced, for consistency sake.

DOWNLOAD:
lib_materials

RECOMMENDED:
Forum - lib_ecology
Github - lib_ecology

DEPENDENCIES:
OPTIONAL DEP:

LICENSES: LGPLv2.1, for code by me, CC-BY-SA-3.0 for graphics by me. Other licenses apply for code and graphics done by others. Where found, those licenses are included.
Attachments
screenshot_20190204_230104.jpg
(262.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by ShadMOrdre on Sat Aug 31, 2019 17:44, edited 6 times in total.
MY MODS: lib_ecology lib_materials lib_clouds lib_node_shapes ---- Inspired By: Open Source Virtual World Simulator Opensimulator.

ShadMOrdre

happysmash27

GitHub: happysmash27
IRC: happysmash27
In-game: happysmash27

Re: [Mod] lib_materials [lib_materials][git]

by happysmash27 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 20:39

This doesn't depend on Default, right? Because if not, this is exactly the type of mod I have been looking for! It's annoying when mods depend on one massive default mod.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Wed Jan 30, 2019 03:27

happysmash27,

Currently, there are still dependencies regarding the sounds. I have not yet ported the default sounds into this mod.

My intention, however, is to do exactly as you've stated. This mod will attempt to provide a source of materials, stone, dirts, ores, sand, liquids, and any other node that would be naturally appear in the real world. I currently use a modified version of default, stripping out the parts that I successfully recreate here, or in my other mods, that are meant to become a drop in replacement usable by mod and game developers.

Please also take a look at lib_ecology, which depends on lib_materials, and more fully utilizes these nodes in biome defs.

Shad MOrdre
MY MODS: lib_ecology lib_materials lib_clouds lib_node_shapes ---- Inspired By: Open Source Virtual World Simulator Opensimulator.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Tue May 07, 2019 16:32

repost forum topic with updated links to github repository.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Thu Jun 13, 2019 21:19

Major update.

Biomes. Ecosystems.

Stone, Dirt, Water, Ores, Glass, Metals, Minerals.

No dependencies on default.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:48

This mod looks like it could be very useful. The collection of fluids is much larger than other mods (fluid mods are rare), but I've noticed that all the fluids are just variations of water, lava, and oil. If you're interested in adding in more materials, here are some ideas for fluids. They're just ideas and I could make them myself.
  • Mercury
  • Bromine
  • Generic Acid
  • Lugol's Iodine
  • Pitch/resin
  • Liquid Oxygen
  • Liquid Nitrogen
Save pitch/resin, all of the above fluids are dangerous.

Edit: I made a mercury mod here.
Last edited by Red_King_Cyclops on Sat Aug 03, 2019 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
I'm working on a mod that is essentially Galacticraft for Minetest (with differences).

R-One

by R-One » Fri Aug 02, 2019 14:32

just test in speed with the carpathian magen and ecology lib as only mod ... i have errors:

Code: Select all
2019-08-02 16:29:40: ERROR[Server]: Map::setNode(): Not allowing to place CONTENT_IGNORE while trying to replace "lib_materials:fluid_water_river_muddy_source" at (-1679,-6,-1308) (block (-105,-1,-82))
2019-08-02 16:29:40: ERROR[Server]: Map::setNode(): Not allowing to place CONTENT_IGNORE while trying to replace "lib_materials:fluid_water_river_muddy_source" at (-1683,-6,-1304) (block (-106,-1,-82))
2019-08-02 16:29:41: ERROR[Server]: Map::setNode(): Not allowing to place CONTENT_IGNORE while trying to replace "air" at (-1679,-6,-1307) (block (-105,-1,-82))

Great work all the same !

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Sun Aug 04, 2019 06:16

R-One,

Thanks for the support.

I'm currently in the middle of yet another major update to lib_materials. Gael provided a pull request to the last update that actually made a bigger impact than I originally thought. This has enabled me to more easily add new materials, as well as, ensure consistency between similar materials.

As such, I plan to include the ores from Facedeers' Real Minerals mod and and the liquid molten metals from IcyDiamonds' Fluidity mod. Liquids are rare amongst mods, and I've tried to collect as many as seemed appropriate for this mod. Water, oil, mud, quicksand, lava, and the various metals in molten form form the majority of the liquids available. I've thought about some poison air blocks, but not as a liquid, just as a "cloud" like air block. IMHO, gases act differently than liquids. Trying to make gases or plasmas using the engines liquid code would seem unnatural.

As for the Content Ignore messages, they come from the lakes code, lib_materials_lakes.lua. This is most likely due to incorrect node names within the code. I've recently updated this code to reflect the correct names, so I'll test to ensure that this issue is resolved.

I would like your permission to add the Cinnibar mod, but exclusively for the purpose of using the molten mercury. Real Minerals already includes a cinnibar ore, block, ingot, and lump, so the addition of the molten metal makes sense, to go along with the Fluidity liquids that match up to the metals from Real Minerals.

I'll get this posted soon, since the work is done, testing is almost complete, and I'm ready move on to applying the same code logic updates to lib_ecology, as well as, adding the plant and tree nodes from the aoteara, australia, farming and xocean mods, in addition to adding the new trees from Cool Trees.

Shad

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:08

I give you permission to use the mercury liquid from my mercury mod. Also, mercury is liquid at room temperature, so technically it is not molten.

Edits
I found the download for Hamlet's Quest here, which has the full real minerals mod in it.

My mod titan_moon has some new materials such as Liquid Hydrocarbon, but none of the materials are found on earth.

I found out that the textures for mercury look a lot like molten tin in melterns/fluidity.
I'm working on a mod that is essentially Galacticraft for Minetest (with differences).

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Fri Aug 23, 2019 00:49

Now that I have tested this mod, I can see the application of it for making mods. A few textures are broken, but it's not a major problem. I've used the oil liquid for my rocket mod.

ShadMOrdre

Nigel

GitHub: nyje
IRC: Nigel
In-game: Nigel

by Nigel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:33

First: What an amazing pair of mods lib_materials & lib_ecology appear to be ;-)

Second: I just compiled the latest stable minetest & minetest game, added ONLY these two mods to the worldmods folder for testing, and I got this:

Code: Select all
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/www-data/LIVE_SERVERS/T4/bin/../worlds/T4/worldmods/lib_materials/init.lua:
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]: ...rlds/T4/worldmods/lib_materials/lib_materials_nodeio.lua:292: Attempt to override non-existent item default:chest
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'error'
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]:    ...ww-data/LIVE_SERVERS/T4/bin/../builtin/game/register.lua:388: in function 'override_item'
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]:    ...rlds/T4/worldmods/lib_materials/lib_materials_nodeio.lua:292: in function 'init_main_inventory'
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]:    ...worldmods/lib_materials/lib_materials_nodeio_support.lua:7: in main chunk
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'dofile'
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]:    ...rlds/T4/worldmods/lib_materials/lib_materials_nodeio.lua:297: in main chunk
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'dofile'
2019-09-02 12:16:36: ERROR[Main]:    ...ERS/T4/bin/../worlds/T4/worldmods/lib_materials/init.lua:96: in main chunk

I guess I'll have to wait to try these amazing mods, as I don't have time to hunt down the issue right now.
I was also going to add an issue on github in case you don't see this, but I see someone beat me to it ;-)

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Mon Sep 02, 2019 23:22

axcore and Nigel,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This issue should now be resolved.

I had previously removed the soft dependency on default, thus causing this error.

I am working to make this and other mods completely dependency free, and this is one that slipped by me. IMHO, default should be registering its own nodes, instead of API mods registering them. But then, who wants a mod that doesn't do anything? ;)

Please continue to report any other issues, either here on on github.

Shad

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Wed Sep 04, 2019 17:27

Another update, fixes some issues that I've been noticing.

Still tracking down the source of the CONTENT_IGNORE messages.

Stay tuned!

Shad

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Fri Sep 06, 2019 22:44

I've pushed some fixes.

Have disabled code that was generating the content ignore messages.

Fixed some textures and pushed some other bug fixes.

Shad

Return to WIP Mods