[Modpack] lorebooks

Dokimi

GitHub: DokimiCU

[Modpack] lorebooks

by Dokimi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:16

What is this?

Think of this like a vast game of Dungeons-and-Dragons, or 'Wiki-storytelling'.

I have seen many threads with people wanting to know the history and lore of Minetest (e.g. What is Mese? Why Nyan cats? Who built X on server Y? What would a Minetest bible look like?). I have also seen people want to use Minetest to tell stories.

This mod solves both desires: it adds lore books (like in Skyrim), to allow story telling within a Minetest universe.

These books can contain short stories, poems, religious decrees, official pronouncements... anything at all.

The aim is for these books to create a Minetest Universe, to add a sense of narrative to playing Minetest, as well as to capture the stories and culture of the Minetest community - inside the game-world. These books can be used to tell fictional tales, or fictionalized versions of real peoples interactions with the Minetest game, and the Minetest community.

The books can then be added to or spawned in the world. Players can collect and discover them, slowly uncovering the stories of Minetest as they go.

The mods:

- lorebooks: The collection of books. They can only be accessed in creative mode (or crafted if you already have a copy).
- lorebooks_display: Used by book collection mods to display the books to the user. You can use this as a dependancy for your own lorebooks mods
- trm_lorebooks: Registers the books with the Treasury mod. Allows books to be spawned in the world provided you have Treasury spawning mods (see the Treasurer mod for details).

Depends
treasurer (for trm_lorebooks)

License:

Code is licensed under GNU LGPLv2+. Textures are licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported.

DOWNLOAD

View code at Github
https://github.com/DokimiCU/lorebooks

+ Guide to Adding Books to Lorebooks

+ Lore Guide:

+ An Example: how to tell your story

Here's a couple of book examples:

See the lorebooks init.lua for a full list of books, authors, and dates.
Attachments
lorebooks4.png
(315.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lorebooks1.png
(444.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lorebooks3.png
(353.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Dokimi on Tue Sep 25, 2018 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

Dokimi

Re: [Modpack] lorebooks

by Dokimi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 08:40

A few thoughts/ideas/questions

- If this mod proves popular... it will explode to enormous size. It could also end a central part of how the Minetest community imagines itself. If that happens some better way of running this thing will probably have to be found. It would be more than a mere mod.

- I am not the right person to be administering this (at least beyond the experimental stage). I do experiments, then I vanish. You might as well ask a pigeon to carry your suitcase! That's just my personality. If you guys want this to run long-term think about who would be best as "Chief Imperial Censor"!

- Supporting mods: this needs more mods to add books to the world. Treasurer is a bit sparse. Perhaps some lore friendly stuff (The Mikido Literary Foundation is the lore explanation for lorebooks existence... perhaps someone could make Mikido Libraries? Something?)

-Legal stuff: I am aware of Minetests requirements for code, textures etc. But this will become a collection of literature. What licences should apply to the text? Any legal experts out there?

- Separate lorebooks collection: I realize people may want things in their native language, or to do adults-only content. That may require having different collections in this mod. For now - English, and keep it clean.

- Think you are too bad a writer to contribute? Me - I like writing (maybe one day I'll publish a novel!). If you say "Please, please, pretty please!" I might improve your book for you (for story and style - I'm not spellcheck!). Alternatively....

- Yob Pikelet (and the Pikelet family) have become the go to lore idiots (think Forest Gump). Think you sound like an idiot? Publish it under the name So-and-so Pikelet. Because they are an idiot.

- Did you try to submit game-breaking crap: The Censor has no mercy, and a lethal sense of humor (you have been warned - you will be published, but not as you intended)!

- This story could get very complicated. Use this thread to discuss where plot lines could go, what is in your books etc.

- And... now I've forgotten what else there was! Have fun with it guys!

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 09:00

That's what it was!...

The Doomed City by the Strugatsky brothers gives a good model for what a Minetest Universe would feel like...diverse people thrown together, in a bizarre place which is constantly changing for no logical reason, run by shadowy people who may or may not be human, and may or may not have some grand purpose...the setting has a lot of parallels with what a Minetest universe would have to look like.

Just a thought.

firefox

In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:05

interesting idea

i once had a similar idea for my game, when thinking about unique items that only drop from monsters.
i thought of "Ripped Page" which would have different variations (M), (G) and (B).
and if you collect 3 of the same type, you could craft a book (just like the standard book craft recipe) of the corresponding type: "Melchior's Book", "Gaspar's Book" and "Belthasar's Book".

since the world is very big, i think that collecting and restoring them from renewable sources is better than having only 1 copy in the entire world.
building inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15550 --- my game: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15860 --- =(^.^)= nyan~

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Fri Mar 30, 2018 17:34

I actually had this idea for my own subgame that may or may not be released. I don't want to contribute to this because these books have no set direction. As I've seen from the books you wrote, these books are set in modern times, which totally doesn't correspond to my idea of Minetest Game. I always think of Minetest Game as being medieval. I think this mod should be divided into sections for medieval, modern, sci-fi, and a few others to achieve a partial sense of balance.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 00:37

v-rob wrote:... these books are set in modern times, which totally doesn't correspond to my idea of Minetest Game. I always think of Minetest Game as being medieval. I think this mod should be divided into sections for medieval, modern, sci-fi, and a few others to achieve a partial sense of balance.

My idea was to create an entire Minetest Universe... one that includes all the various realms for anyone who has ever played Minetest. e.g. think of each map ever created as a realm existing within the Minetest Universe.

So some of these realms can be medieval, sci-fi etc... but they exist within a wider universe - which is admittedly strange and perplexing (hence why I referenced Doomed City, it has that odd we-are-in-a-world-that-doesn't-make-sense feel).

You are right though, it could be split up any number of ways.

TumeniNodes

GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Sun Apr 01, 2018 00:47

heh, the Minetest Scrolls

cool idea. I have only skimmed the main post but seems like this could evolve nicely.
Ich mag keine grünen Eier und Schinken, ich mag sie nicht Sam I Am

Hamlet

GitHub: h4ml3t
IRC: H4mlet

by Hamlet » Sun Jul 29, 2018 22:35

I love this mod, I'm planning to make a fork supporting Intllib and add my translation.

I've found an issue though: text doesn't fit in the given space (see the image).

Oh, btw, what on earth is "Finland"?!
shrugs returning to his fort ... "Finland" ... shakes his head.
"Snow walkers, that's something worth being worried... now where did I left my sword?"

Attachments
screenshot.png
(323.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SelfNote: "KeepCalm, Remember that Ppl also HaveRealLife stuff to do. PS bite your tongue, just in case."

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Tue Sep 25, 2018 07:19

Hamlet wrote:I love this mod, I'm planning to make a fork supporting Intllib and add my translation.

I've found an issue though: text doesn't fit in the given space (see the image).

Okay.. I've finally got around to updating this. I was hoping I'd figure out the display problem. But no. I'm guessing you're using non-standard fonts.

The update:
- a few new books
- I've changed how the modpack is set up.
Now lorebooks display can be used as a dependency by other people's mods (don't need to submit stuff to me. You can turn my stuff off if you want.) e.g. You could stick an Italian version in Lorebooks_italian? Or a server specific set in a lorebooks_[server name]?

If anyone can figure out a better way of coding lorebooks_display go for it (e.g. multiple pages, non standard font). I'm happy for this mod here to simply be my own little corner of insanity.

Return to WIP Mods