[Mod] Lumberjack [lumberjack]

joe7575

GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto

[Mod] Lumberjack [lumberjack]

by joe7575 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 18:59

A Mod for tree harvesting and planting!

This mod fulfills several aspects:
  • New players are trained to always fell trees completely and replace them with saplings (education for sustainability)
  • Trained players with additional "skills" get lumberjack privs to fell trees more efficiently (based on ideas from TreeCapitator and several Timber mods)
  • No parts of trees hanging in the air anymore

GitHub: https://github.com/joe7575/lumberjack
Download: https://github.com/joe7575/lumberjack/a ... master.zip

This mod allows to completely fell trees by destroying only one block. The whole tree is harvested and moved to the players inventory. But therefore lumberjack privs are needed. New player normally will not get the necessary privs immediately, they have to harvest the tree from the top, block by block "to improve their skills".
To simplify the climbing, the mod allows to hit steps into the tree (ladder function)

But there are three configuration possibilities:
  1. All players get directly lumberjack privs
  2. Players have to collect points to get lumberjack privs
  3. Players will never get lumberjack privs from the mod itself (but will be granted by means of other reasons)

Points have to be collected by harvesting tree blocks AND planting saplings.
The default setting is 400 which means, you have to harvest more then 400 tree blocks and plant more then 66 (400/6) saplings to get lumberjack privs.

The configuration can be changed directly in the file 'settingtypes.txt' or by means of the Minetest GUI.

Some technical aspects:
  • 'param1' of the nodes data is used to distinguish between grown trees and placed tree blocks so that this mod will not have any impact to buildings or other objects based on tree blocks
  • an API function allows to register additional trees from other mods, which is quite simple
  • the Ethereal mod is already supported, others will follow

Dependencies

License
Copyright (C) 2018 Joachim Stolberg
Code: Licensed under the GNU LGPL version 2.1 or later. See LICENSE.txt and http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.txt
Sound is taken from Hybrid Dog (TreeCapitator)
Last edited by joe7575 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my Commodore 64. My Mods: TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, Iron Age.

hajo

Re: [Mod] Lumberjack [lumberjack]

by hajo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 22:57

joe7575 wrote:New player .. have to harvest the tree from the top

Really? I usually start at the ground, and work my way to the top.

AlexYst

GitHub: y-st
IRC: AlexYst
In-game: AlexYst

by AlexYst » Wed Apr 11, 2018 00:23

hajo wrote:
joe7575 wrote:New player .. have to harvest the tree from the top

Really? I usually start at the ground, and work my way to the top.

For short trees, I sometimes harvest from the bottom, but only after clearing all the leaf nodes. For taller trees, it's easier to start at the top. Also, I think the purpose of doing it from the top in this mod is to prevent the floating logs some players leave.

This is a pretty cool idea! It causes trees to be treated similar to papyrus in how they're dug.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Apr 11, 2018 01:54

Very good idea. Tree logs hanging in the air are very annoying, and motivating players to dig the entire tree is highly welcome. I hope it doesn't really matter in which direction the tree is cut? I usually start from the bottom. If the tree is higher than what I can reach, temporal piles of dirt or leaves placed where the trunks had been help to get the upper parts.
A list of my mods can be found here.

joe7575

by joe7575 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 05:36

hajo wrote:Really? I usually start at the ground, and work my way to the top.

Yes, me too!
But who cares about server rules?
This mod prevents having forests on your server looking like this:

Since I have installed the "top-down approach mod", this problem is gone.
You have to go into discussion with players asking, why this awkward way?
But at the end they will be rewarded and you will have blooming forests :D
Attachments
bottom_up.png
(531.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sent from my Commodore 64. My Mods: TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, Iron Age.

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Thu Apr 12, 2018 05:22

If you really want a top-down approach for trees - how about adding a special axe that allows to dig tiny holes in the trunk and climb up using them? There's a mod somewhere on the forum that allows to do this with stone cliffs. Maybe you could allow all axes to act that way. If it's not the topmost tree node, add a non-diggable ladder (which looks like holes) instead of digging the tree block. If it's the topmost node, dig it normally with the axe. Be sure to distinguish between trees placed by mapgen or grown from saplings and tree logs placed by people who are trying to build a house. The later ones might get quite annoyed if they can't really use tree logs for building anymore.

Half-cut trees are a huge annoyance on servers, so I hope your mod will get used.
A list of my mods can be found here.

dawgdoc

GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 18:23

Sokomine wrote:...how about adding a special axe that allows to dig tiny holes in the trunk and climb up using them? There's a mod somewhere on the forum that allows to do this with stone cliffs. Maybe you could allow all axes to act that way.

[handholds]

twoelk

GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 19:30

joe7575 wrote:----8<----
* the Ethereal mod is already supported, others will follow
---->8----

yay - and now challenge More-Trees and all the others of this List: https://wiki.minetest.net/Mods:Nature and those in the australia mod and those in LOTT and ...
;-P

joe7575

by joe7575 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 20:11

Sokomine wrote:If you really want a top-down approach for trees - how about adding a special axe that allows to dig tiny holes in the trunk and climb up using them? There's a mod somewhere on the forum that allows to do this with stone cliffs. Maybe you could allow all axes to act that way. If it's not the topmost tree node, add a non-diggable ladder (which looks like holes) instead of digging the tree block. If it's the topmost node, dig it normally with the axe.

Very good idea, thanks. It will try it.

Sokomine wrote:Be sure to distinguish between trees placed by mapgen or grown from saplings and tree logs placed by people who are trying to build a house. The later ones might get quite annoyed if they can't really use tree logs for building anymore.

That's already the case and works for all supported trees, so far.

twoelk wrote:yay - and now challenge More-Trees and all the others of this List: ...

The question is how many public server use all this "nature" mods?
However, the mod provides a function to register further trees:

Code: Select all
lumberjack.register_tree(tree_name, sapling_name, radius, stem_height_min)

maxx

GitHub: maxxmodding
In-game: maxx or MrNobody

by maxx » Sun Apr 15, 2018 13:07

really nice!
nice tool for big projects...
visit https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19743 to get more information about trainblocks

joe7575

by joe7575 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 20:30

v0.5 is on GitHub
It allows to hit steps into the tree and climb to the top.
But you have to use some kind of axe.

Edit: changed to v0.5

Return to Mod Releases