[Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

User avatar
ShallowDweller
Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 22:23

[Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by ShallowDweller » Sat Jul 28, 2018 06:56

This mod is a rework of the Orewood mod by desvox. This remake was done because I'm a great procrastinator the original one did not recieve updates for a while and I needed to do something productive while procrastinating a way to make tin and other things renewable. And as my nickname suggests, I like to stay on or near the surface wich makes me wonder why on earth I keep adding all those underground content mods to every world I create.

ANYWAY, this mod adds a special wood node that generates among trees (on worldgen) and jungle trees (see screenshot). Harvest this special node and place it near water to grow a special papyrus that drops specific mineral resources when broken.
Some types of wood (iron, gold, copper, tin and clay) can be cooked to make hotwood. Place hotwood near lava and save a lot of fuel by not having to smelt lumps into ingots or bricks.

NOTE: if the orewood is being cooked into charcoal:
1) Find out the name of the mod adding charcoal;
2) Add that mod to "depends.txt" with a question mark. Example:
charcoal?

+ OLD Screenshots

+ Changes from the original

+ To do list


License:
For code: CC0
For textures: most are derived from minetest default, and as such, are under CC BY-SA 3.0, view license.txt for the full list.
There are also a few hideous textures under CC0 that I made using a lot of effects from the image editor.
If I forgot to mention some texture in the license.txt, be sure to report here so I can fix it.

Dependencies: default (already in minetest_game)
Optional: moreores;
glooptest;
quartz;
technic_worldgen;
blox;
ethereal;
(will add links and extras Soon™)

+ Compatibility


WARNING:
THIS MOD IS A WORK IN PROGRESS (WIP).
May be moved to mod releases Soon™

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:
Be sure to leave feedback, suggestions and let me know if I forgot to add anything important (like credits). And to have a nice day and enjoy the game.

minetest_game version: 5.0.0 and newer (may work on older versions, feel free to test and let me know).
Current mod version: 0.04 click here to download
To update the mod, remove the previous version from the mod folder and place the new version. Or just overwrite it.
+ Changelog
Attachments
orewood_reborn_0.03.zip
And now, compatibility.lua does something!
(379.26 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
orewood_reborn version 0.02.zip
compatibility.lua is currently useless.
(235.52 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
orewood_reborn version 0.01.zip
A bit crude, but can be improved... I guess.
(233.37 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by ShallowDweller on Fri May 24, 2019 17:01, edited 7 times in total.
 

Chem871
Member
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
Location: SCP-2935
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Dwaba_Kukai

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by Chem871 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 13:37

Do the special orewood nodes generate in trees that you grow yourself, from saplings?
What is SCP-055 again? I forgot.
 

User avatar
Hume2
Member
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 08:24
Location: Czech Republic
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by Hume2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 16:21

Interesting mod. Note that this will get overpowered when it's combined together with technic and pipes.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.
 

User avatar
ShallowDweller
Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 22:23

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by ShallowDweller » Sat Jul 28, 2018 19:09

Chem871 wrote:Do the special orewood nodes generate in trees that you grow yourself, from saplings?

No, only on world generation. I'll add that information to the 1st post.

Hume2 wrote:Interesting mod. Note that this will get overpowered when it's combined together with technic and pipes.

I'll have to take a look at those two then... Do you think rebalancing will be needed for those who don't use technic and pipes as well or only for users of those mods?

------------------------------
ps. ignore the attached screenshots in this reply (you can see them all in the 1st post).
Attachments
screenshot_recipes.png
(91.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot_20180728_014936.png
(596.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot_20180728_015049.png
(981.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
 

User avatar
Hume2
Member
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 08:24
Location: Czech Republic
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by Hume2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 09:34

ShallowDweller wrote:I'll have to take a look at those two then... Do you think rebalancing will be needed for those who don't use technic and pipes as well or only for users of those mods?

I think, coal, clay, lava and river water canes are OK (edit: and obsidian). For the others, I think, there could be other ores those could be obtained only from trees. These ores could be used for tools as well but they wouldn't completely replace the ores found underground. Another alternative is that there would be no canes and the resources would be obtained directly from orewood. Then the orewood could generate randomly also in newly planted trees.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.
 

User avatar
ShallowDweller
Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 22:23

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by ShallowDweller » Mon Jul 30, 2018 05:57

Hume2 wrote:
ShallowDweller wrote:I'll have to take a look at those two then... Do you think rebalancing will be needed for those who don't use technic and pipes as well or only for users of those mods?

I think, coal, clay, lava and river water canes are OK (edit: and obsidian). For the others, I think, there could be other ores those could be obtained only from trees. These ores could be used for tools as well but they wouldn't completely replace the ores found underground. Another alternative is that there would be no canes and the resources would be obtained directly from orewood. Then the orewood could generate randomly also in newly planted trees.

I currently don't know how to make orewood spawn on planted trees, but I can do some research to find that out.
I will do some research on how to enable/disable the generation of specific nodes by setting a value to true or false to allow users to get rid of them if they want to, and hopefully make the setting available in-game (would this help?).
I'll add that to the to-do list.

As for adding surface-exclusive ores:
I currently have no plans of adding new tools/weapons to the game in the near future. Sorry about that...
However, if you plan on making a mod that adds new tools, I can make orewood_reborn generate their ores/ingots/crystals/lumps for you. Or at least help you with the code and/or textures if you don't want your mod to depend on other mods, since the original mod's code is under WTFPL and mine is under CC0, meaning that anyone is free to use it.
 

User avatar
Hume2
Member
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 08:24
Location: Czech Republic
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by Hume2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 09:20

ShallowDweller wrote:I currently don't know how to make orewood spawn on planted trees, but I can do some research to find that out.
I will do some research on how to enable/disable the generation of specific nodes by setting a value to true or false to allow users to get rid of them if they want to, and hopefully make the setting available in-game (would this help?).
I'll add that to the to-do list.

Yes, this will help. It is always easier to edit configuration than tweaking the mod by hand.

ShallowDweller wrote:As for adding surface-exclusive ores:
I currently have no plans of adding new tools/weapons to the game in the near future. Sorry about that...
However, if you plan on making a mod that adds new tools, I can make orewood_reborn generate their ores/ingots/crystals/lumps for you. Or at least help you with the code and/or textures if you don't want your mod to depend on other mods, since the original mod's code is under WTFPL and mine is under CC0, meaning that anyone is free to use it.

I have a different idea. There could be a function orewood_reborn.register_tree_ore(...) that could be used by other mods. Each mod could add its own tree ores.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.
 

User avatar
ShallowDweller
Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 22:23

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by ShallowDweller » Mon Jul 30, 2018 19:20

Hume2 wrote: Yes, this will help. It is always easier to edit configuration than tweaking the mod by hand.

Glad to know :)
*goes keep researching*

Hume2 wrote: I have a different idea. There could be a function orewood_reborn.register_tree_ore(...) that could be used by other mods. Each mod could add its own tree ores.

I'll research how to do this. It looks like the kind of thing that will be extremely useful when I add compatibility to other mods (I already added the compatibility.lua and the dofile, but the file is currently empty and I initialy screwed up when adding the nodes.lua and its dofile but I managed to make it work as it should).
ps. thanks for the feedback! :)
 

User avatar
ShallowDweller
Member
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 22:23

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by ShallowDweller » Tue Nov 06, 2018 02:25

Sorry about the double post, but a new version is out! (Finaly!)
EDIT: Re-uploading V0.04 because forum shutdown.
Will update 1st post soon with changelog.
Attachments
orewood_reborn_0.04.zip
The new version is back!
(473.39 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
 


Return to WIP Mods



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hugues Ross and 11 guests