[Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

ShallowDweller

[Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by ShallowDweller » Post

This mod is a rework of the Orewood mod by desvox. This remake was done because I'm a great procrastinator the original one did not recieve updates for a while and I needed to do something productive while procrastinating a way to make tin and other things renewable. And as my nickname suggests, I like to stay on or near the surface which makes me wonder why on earth I keep adding all those underground content mods to every world I create. And the original one now gives a 404 error message when I try to view the source code TT_TT

ANYWAY, this mod adds a special wood node that generates among trees (on worldgen) and jungle trees (see screenshot). Craft or harvest this special node and place it near water to grow a special papyrus that drops specific mineral resources when broken.
Some types of wood (iron, gold, copper, tin and clay) can be cooked to make hotwood. Place hotwood near lava and save a lot of fuel by not having to smelt lumps into ingots or bricks.

NOTE: if the orewood is being cooked into charcoal:
1) Find out the name of the mod adding charcoal;
2) Add that mod to "depends.txt" with a question mark. Example:
charcoal?
The ores in natura:
Overview of the papyri you can grow:
A few recipes (interface is from unified inventory and unified inventory plus):
recipes: Cooking orewood will give you hotwood (for ores that have ingots and for clay) instead of its resource.
New growables: tin, clay, obsidian, non-renewable liquids, ingots.
Textures were changed.
I may or may not have changed the rarity of some orewoods.
Hot wood and Fluid wood. Find another place than the forums to upload the mod files Add link to download straight from notabug.org;
Move the old versions and screenshots from the forums to notabug.org;
Merge certain files once I learn how to add settings to the advanced settings list;
Add compatibility with more mods;
Figure out how to add description and dependencies to mod.conf;
Learn how to use "orewood_reborn.register_tree_ore" (suggestion from Hume2)
Add compatibility with underch, caverealms and other underground-based mods;
Add ABMs to grow eyes when fluidwood is near slime source (underch mod);
Figure out how to implement ores on worldgen in minetest 5.0.0;
Figure out how to add description and dependencies to mod.conf;
Figure out how to implement settings;
Add setting to make orewood spawn on planted trees;
Clean the code up (or try to);
Undo the last three above if something explodes (again);
Add compatibility with more mods;
Improve the screenshot;
Improve "README.txt";
Add textures for mese wood and obsidian wood (or not);
Remember the other things I wanted to add/remove/change;
Add other people's suggestions to this list; License:
For code: CC0
For textures: most are derived from minetest default, and as such, are under CC BY-SA 3.0, view CREDITS.txt for the full list.
There are also a few hideous textures under CC0 that I made using a lot of effects from the image editor.
If I forgot to mention some texture in CREDITS.txt (or if I did something wrong), be sure to report here so I can fix it.

Dependencies: default (already in minetest_game)
Optional: moreores;
glooptest;
quartz;
technic_worldgen;
blox;
ethereal; (will add Etherium-related items Soon™)
(will add links and extras Soon™)
>Seems to work with any (sub)games that have the "default" mod included.
>Can be added to old wolrds that had the orewood mod in them (just disable orewood and enable orewood_reborn when configuring the world).

-Incompatible with Mineclone2 (sub)game. WARNING:
THIS MOD IS A WORK IN PROGRESS (WIP).
May be moved to mod releases Soon™

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:
Be sure to leave feedback, suggestions and let me know if I forgot to add anything important (like credits). And to have a nice day and enjoy the game.

minetest_game version: 5.0.0 and newer (may work on older versions, feel free to test and let me know).
Current mod version: 0.04 click here to download
To update the mod, remove the previous version from the mod folder and place the new version. Or just overwrite it.

Click here for the changelog. Or here for the source code. Notice that the file to place orewood on worldgen was not uploaded yet because it requires some testing.
Attachments
orewood_reborn_0.03.zip
And now, compatibility.lua does something!
(379.26 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
orewood_reborn version 0.02.zip
compatibility.lua is currently useless.
(235.52 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
orewood_reborn version 0.01.zip
A bit crude, but can be improved... I guess.
(233.37 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Last edited by ShallowDweller on Mon Jul 20, 2020 22:38, edited 10 times in total.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [Mod] Orewood Remake [orewood_reborn]

by Chem871 » Post

Do the special orewood nodes generate in trees that you grow yourself, from saplings?
What is SCP-055?

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Interesting mod. Note that this will get overpowered when it's combined together with technic and pipes.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

Chem871 wrote:Do the special orewood nodes generate in trees that you grow yourself, from saplings?
No, only on world generation. I'll add that information to the 1st post.
Hume2 wrote:Interesting mod. Note that this will get overpowered when it's combined together with technic and pipes.
I'll have to take a look at those two then... Do you think rebalancing will be needed for those who don't use technic and pipes as well or only for users of those mods?

------------------------------
ps. ignore the attached screenshots in this reply (you can see them all in the 1st post).
Attachments
screenshot_recipes.png
screenshot_recipes.png (91.21 KiB) Viewed 603 times
screenshot_20180728_014936.png
screenshot_20180728_014936.png (596.3 KiB) Viewed 603 times
screenshot_20180728_015049.png
screenshot_20180728_015049.png (981.15 KiB) Viewed 603 times

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

ShallowDweller wrote: I'll have to take a look at those two then... Do you think rebalancing will be needed for those who don't use technic and pipes as well or only for users of those mods?
I think, coal, clay, lava and river water canes are OK (edit: and obsidian). For the others, I think, there could be other ores those could be obtained only from trees. These ores could be used for tools as well but they wouldn't completely replace the ores found underground. Another alternative is that there would be no canes and the resources would be obtained directly from orewood. Then the orewood could generate randomly also in newly planted trees.

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

Hume2 wrote:
ShallowDweller wrote: I'll have to take a look at those two then... Do you think rebalancing will be needed for those who don't use technic and pipes as well or only for users of those mods?
I think, coal, clay, lava and river water canes are OK (edit: and obsidian). For the others, I think, there could be other ores those could be obtained only from trees. These ores could be used for tools as well but they wouldn't completely replace the ores found underground. Another alternative is that there would be no canes and the resources would be obtained directly from orewood. Then the orewood could generate randomly also in newly planted trees.
I currently don't know how to make orewood spawn on planted trees, but I can do some research to find that out.
I will do some research on how to enable/disable the generation of specific nodes by setting a value to true or false to allow users to get rid of them if they want to, and hopefully make the setting available in-game (would this help?).
I'll add that to the to-do list.

As for adding surface-exclusive ores:
I currently have no plans of adding new tools/weapons to the game in the near future. Sorry about that...
However, if you plan on making a mod that adds new tools, I can make orewood_reborn generate their ores/ingots/crystals/lumps for you. Or at least help you with the code and/or textures if you don't want your mod to depend on other mods, since the original mod's code is under WTFPL and mine is under CC0, meaning that anyone is free to use it.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

ShallowDweller wrote: I currently don't know how to make orewood spawn on planted trees, but I can do some research to find that out.
I will do some research on how to enable/disable the generation of specific nodes by setting a value to true or false to allow users to get rid of them if they want to, and hopefully make the setting available in-game (would this help?).
I'll add that to the to-do list.
Yes, this will help. It is always easier to edit configuration than tweaking the mod by hand.
ShallowDweller wrote: As for adding surface-exclusive ores:
I currently have no plans of adding new tools/weapons to the game in the near future. Sorry about that...
However, if you plan on making a mod that adds new tools, I can make orewood_reborn generate their ores/ingots/crystals/lumps for you. Or at least help you with the code and/or textures if you don't want your mod to depend on other mods, since the original mod's code is under WTFPL and mine is under CC0, meaning that anyone is free to use it.
I have a different idea. There could be a function orewood_reborn.register_tree_ore(...) that could be used by other mods. Each mod could add its own tree ores.

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

Hume2 wrote: Yes, this will help. It is always easier to edit configuration than tweaking the mod by hand.
Glad to know :)
*goes keep researching*
Hume2 wrote: I have a different idea. There could be a function orewood_reborn.register_tree_ore(...) that could be used by other mods. Each mod could add its own tree ores.
I'll research how to do this. It looks like the kind of thing that will be extremely useful when I add compatibility to other mods (I already added the compatibility.lua and the dofile, but the file is currently empty and I initialy screwed up when adding the nodes.lua and its dofile but I managed to make it work as it should).
ps. thanks for the feedback! :)

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

Sorry about the double post, but a new version is out! (Finaly!)
EDIT: Re-uploading V0.04 because forum shutdown.
Will update 1st post soon with changelog.
Attachments
orewood_reborn_0.04.zip
The new version is back!
(473.39 KiB) Downloaded 69 times