[Mod] Obsidian Tool Knapping [2.1] [knap]

durtective6
In-game: derplez or BlockFrog

[Mod] Obsidian Tool Knapping [2.1] [knap]

by durtective6 » Post

Saw some videos of this being done on YouTube and thought it would be a good idea for a Minetest mod and a way to get back into making things for the game after a long time.
This mod adds the ability to knap (more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knapping) obsidian to create tools. Currently you can make all the basic tools apart from a hoe (due to 0.5.0 depreciation). This is done by first creating either an "Obsidian Rod" (for making sword blades or pickaxe heads) or an "Obsidian Disc" (for making axe heads or shovel heads). Both the rod and disc have a chance of giving either tool part or failing and "shattering" to create obsidian shards; 9 of these can be used to create a new block of obsidian.
The tools are, in utility terms, between mese and diamond tools but have a longer punch interval and around/or twice the uses. The sword does slightly more damage than diamond by 1 point.
The zip also contains a folder with the same png images as shown in the spoiler below containing crafting recipes.

Here is a video demonstrating the tools in the mod (mp4 link)
Spoiler
Obsidian Tools (and crafting example)
https://streamable.com/1m7ez
Flint Tools
https://streamable.com/5th20
Screenshots
Spoiler
Everything
Obsidian Rod
Obsidian Disc
Obsidian Shards to Obsidian
Pickaxe
Shovel
Axe
Sword
Obsidian Rod and Disc
---Flint---
Everything
Flint Spike
Flint Chunk
Broken Pieces of Flint to Flint
Pickaxe
Shovel
Axe
Sword
Flint Spike and Chunk

License: MIT (https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT)
Dependencies: Default

Changelog
1.0-Mod released
1.1-Fixed shovel maxlevel (changed from 1 to 3)
2.0-Added a flint route of tools. Fixed not being able to break obsidian discs/rods with obsidian tools
2.1-Altered full_punch_interval for obsidian tools to balance them

Download: see attachment
Attachments
knap.zip
(522.38 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Last edited by durtective6 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 17:26, edited 8 times in total.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

Re: [Mod] Obsidian Tool Knapping [1.0] [knap]

by Chem871 » Post

+1
What is SCP-055?

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Obsidian Tool Knapping [1.1] [knap]

by Sokomine » Post

That might fit well into RealTest (if that ever gets further development) as RealTest already comes with stone age skins and complex crafting. The mod might also be of intrest in other ares. Tools made out of flint would make more sense than tools created from cobble blocks. Hope this gets developed further.
A list of my mods can be found here.

durtective6
In-game: derplez or BlockFrog

Re: [Mod] Obsidian Tool Knapping [1.1] [knap]

by durtective6 » Post

Sokomine wrote:That might fit well into RealTest (if that ever gets further development) as RealTest already comes with stone age skins and complex crafting. The mod might also be of intrest in other ares. Tools made out of flint would make more sense than tools created from cobble blocks. Hope this gets developed further.
Took a while, but I've taken this advice and added a flint route of tools. They're a bit faster than steel due to the effort of getting them mainly, but also degrade at a rate between stone and wood.

Also, a bug has been fixed, I forgot to make it possible to break obsidian discs/shards with the tools they actually create-so that's been added now.

I debated adding a hammer to the mod that would be used especially for making the tool heads, but don't really know at the moment-I think it would be nice to just keep it simple.