[modpack]Player API skins enhancements modpack

bell07
GitHub: bell07

[modpack]Player API skins enhancements modpack

by bell07 » Post

I did some enhancements on player_api for minetest_game, the API should handle player skinning.
See https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/2122

This modpack contains the enhanced API and forks for different skinning related mods, stripped down away from all compadibility hacky to proper API usage.

Mods List
player_api - Enhanced player_api as proposed for Minetest Game
skins - Simple skins manager for sfinv as proposed for Minetest Game
skin_admin - Admin chatcommand skins manager as proposed for Minetest Game
skinsdb5 - Enhanced skins manager with sfinv and unified_inventory pages, based on skinsdb
fensta_skins - Skins provider and downloader fpr http://minetest.fensta.bplaced.net/ from skinsdb
skins_preview - Provides dynamic skin preview generation for inventories, from skinsdb
multiskin_model - Provides extended player model with 1.8, clothing, armor and wielded item support, based on multiskin
3d_armor - Provides armor skins modifier for multiskin_model
clothing - Provides clothing skins modifier for multiskin_model
wieldview - Provides wielded item skins modifier for multiskin_model
character_creator - Customizeable/dynamic player skin
homedecor_wardrobe - Register Wardrobe skins as hidden in inventory
place_your_skins_here - Placeholder mod for own skins
newhand - Provides 3D hand for current player skin

My goal is to get the first 3x Mods (player_api changes, skins and skins_admin) into Minetest Game, in second step push the changes on other mods to corresponding upstreams.

Source / Download: https://github.com/bell07/minetest-player_api_modpack
Licenses: Each mod have own license

How to test:
1. Get Minetest-5 / Minetest Game 5
2. Download the modpack to the "mods" folder
3. Select mods you like to test. You do not need to enable the full modpack, but of course all mods does working together

player_api is always necessary and overrides the version provided by Minetest Game. All other mods are optional.
3d_armor, wieldview and clothing requires the multiskin_model.
If you like to test 3d_armor, it is maybe usefull to download the missed "3d_armor_sfinv" (Inventory integration), "3d_armor_stand" and "shields" from original 3d_armor modpack.
Last edited by bell07 on Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:14, edited 5 times in total.

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

Re: [modpack][MT-5]Player API skins enhancements modpack

by Diamond knight » Post

I agree, we should have these mods in default. Perhaps you can try to get a petition going? The principles of politics and democracy shall serve your quest well.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Just for information: The skinsdb5 does not require the *_preview.png files anymore since I found the great work of GreenXenith function skin_class:get_preview(texture, format) and ported them to skinsdb5

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

bell07 wrote:Just for information: The skinsdb5 does not require the *_preview.png files anymore since I found the great work of GreenXenith function skin_class:get_preview(texture, format) and ported them to skinsdb5
Thats quite a nifty way to save some bandwidth for users and reduce load time.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

bell07

by bell07 » Post

jeremyweston wrote:Thats quite a nifty way to save some bandwidth for users and reduce load time.
The goal (for me) is to save my time not creating the preview files if my doughters creates new skins. ;-)
Nice side effect is the character_creator does have preview in inventory too for now.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

bell07,

Nice to see you're still around! :)

Was wondering, was any of your code pushed upstream to the original mods? Half of those mods were Stu's. I use most of his versions. (3armor, multiskin, clothing, wieldview).

Also, how does this play with the player_anim mod, that allows head movement?

I'll test this out soon.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

To push the changes to upstream depends on any decision is taken in minetest_game enhancement. My guess is the PR will not completely accepted and changes will be needed. Stu is involved in this enhancements and is allowed for direct push to the modpack, but we both are waiting for the decision above :-(

The Modpack works well with minetest-mods/playeranim.
You can test it in my whynot game that contains the modpack and the playeranim mod ;-)
Use the git version, the preview enhancement is not in contentdb yet.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I noticed with Stu's 3d_armor_multiskin feature branch, there was a problem where the character model was half way into the ground. I was a bit disappointed by that because I really liked the clothing mod. Having a way to craft clothing in-game builds immersion when compared to simply choosing a texture file to apply to a player.

After seeing this mod, I'm eager to give it a try, it seems you went for a more broad approach by combining several mods to create several systems that allow clothing to be tailored in-game. But seeing that this is a fork of 10 mods makes me a bit hesitant to jump right into it as I don't want to eliminate any updates from any of the parent mods. I use 3d_armor modpack and skinsdb right now.

I have this mod bookmarked and I've been meaning to test at least some of the components to incorporate it into my survival server.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

bell07

by bell07 » Post

I monitor the origingal mods and port changes to this modpack if possible. If you miss something, let me know. The goal is someday transfer the changes back to the original mods.

bell07

Re: [modpack]Player API skins enhancements modpack

by bell07 » Post

Found some time for Minetest hacking and did the next changes to this Modpack:
- Updated 3d_armor to the mintetest-mods version
- Added new mod fensta_skins, with downloader python script from skinsdb
- Splitted out the skins preview from skinsdb5 to new mod skins_preview
- New mod newhand to show the player 3D hand matching the skin. Based on https://github.com/jordan4ibanez/newhand
- New mod place_your_skins_here - As the name says for your own skins

bell07

by bell07 » Post

I abandon this modpack for now. Since the pull request for minetest is closed for no reason, my attempt is failed to unify all player skinning related mods to use single API. Now it is just another API that can be supported next to the others . I mean this situation: https://xkcd.com/927/

Most features are ported to skinsdb, so please use this mod instead

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

by sirrobzeroone » Post

bell07 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 19:20
I abandon this modpack for now. Since the pull request for minetest is closed for no reason, my attempt is failed to unify all player skinning related mods to use single API. Now it is just another API that can be supported next to the others . I mean this situation: https://xkcd.com/927/

Most features are ported to skinsdb, so please use this mod instead
Just wanted to say - I totally relate to the above Bell07