[Mod] Extra Doors [extra_doors]

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

[Mod] Extra Doors [extra_doors]

by sorcerykid » Post

Extra Doors Mod v2.0
extra_doors (by sorcerykid)

Extra Doors adds a set of 18 new doors to Minetest. They encompass a wide variety of different building styles, so players are no longer restricted to the four basic steel, wood, glass, and obsidian glass doors that come shipped with the default game.

PS. SaKeL, twoelk, Wuzzy, et al had been asking me to release this mod for some time, so here it is. I hope it's useful :)

Repository:

https://bitbucket.org/sorcerykid/extra_doors

Download Archive (.zip)
Download Archive (.tar.gz)

Dependencies:

Doors Mod
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/doors

Source Code License:

GNU Lesser General Public License v3 (LGPL-3.0)

Media License:

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Installation:
  1. Unzip the archive into the mods directory of your game
  2. Rename the extra_doors-master directory to "extra_doors"
Getting Started

I designed all of the door textures for the JT2 server, with the exception of the Cottage Exterior Door and the Japanese Door which I borrowed from X-Decor mod with slight modifications. A couple of the designs were loosely inspired by the mydoors mod.

I truly believe that doors are one of the most essential but often overlooked elements of good architectural design. They set the tone and character of both a living and working space. Have the wrong style of door can make or break the underlying visual aesthetic of any building, which is why I accounted for several possible uses. Enjoy!

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [Mod] Extra Doors [extra_doors]

by Stix » Post

Wow the textures are very nice, thx for releasing this! In particular i like the Colonial door because its neutral towards modern and (as the name suggests) colonial style builds. Probably also aided by the the fact its the type of doors my house has, and it would help a lot with refurbishing my 1:1 scale ingame replica of it :).
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

ooh :-)
have been waiting for this to go public!
guess I need to refurbish some of my buildings on local worlds now
/me runs off to replace some doors

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

That's nice! +1
I like the idea of having more types of doors.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

bosapara

by bosapara » Post

Good idea, when need only doors

How about to add 2 prison doors from xdecor, 2 japancese doors from mineclone and an example something colored doors from this? (gif)

Can provide necessary files of textures

TK Ethan
IRC: MangoNinja
In-game: MangoNinja

by TK Ethan » Post

Awesome!
Jesus Loves You!
My in game name is MangoNinja.And i play the server of MustTest

StarNinjas
GitHub: starninjas
IRC: StarNinjas
In-game: J1

by StarNinjas » Post

Cool might use it!
Don't go to bed tonight, without knowing what would happen if you died. https://thegospelfilm.org/

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

So many door I feel like playing a classic Resident Evil game :D

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

nice looking doors and they go nicely with the default, xdecor, cottages and whatever passes for castle themes
without looking cartoony

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Nice mod :P soooo many doors.

Note: colonial steel door has texture error, also could you add a recipe to craft steel rods back into steel ingot :P

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

When I load your mod, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

2018-09-25 12:36:40: ERROR[Main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "doors_door_steelpanel.png" while building texture; Creating a dummy image
There is obviously a "1" missing in "doors_door_steelpanel.png" ?
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Glad people are enjoying the mod!

Feel free to post screenshots of your builds so I can see how they look with the doors :)
joe7575 wrote:When I load your mod, I get the following error:
There is obviously a "1" missing in "doors_door_steelpanel.png" ?
Whoops! Thanks for the heads up. That must've slipped in after testing, while I was deleting some duplicate textures. I'll have that fixed in the next release.
bosapara wrote:How about to add 2 prison doors from xdecor, 2 japancese doors from mineclone and an example something colored doors from this?
I'm certainly open to suggestions, but I can't make any promises. I've already been thinking of several more designs. So we'll see!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Nice doors. Having several diffrent ones helps a lot in improving the scenery by making even simple houses look a lot better.
bosapara wrote: and an example something colored doors
Looks a bit like one of those old elevator doors.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Linux Mint 19.02_x64 Cinnamom, Minetest 5.0.1, Extra doors 2.0

Hi,

first of all, many thanks for this amazing mod!

I miss one door: "Steel Colonial Door": how can I fix it?
ps: I don't find the "something colored doors" that I see in the .gif above...

Thanks again

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I can confirm this bug. You can fix it by waiting for sorcerykid to fix it. :P
IIRC this door is also broken for months on JT2.

But I agree, this is an impressive mod indeed. It's good the textures all match the MTG style. I generally dislike decorative mods that completely ignore the art style of the game they aim to extend … (I'm looking at YOU, X-Decor!)
It's also a great selection of doors, it all fits together so well.

I also noticed this mod introduces steel rods but they are only useful for crafting doors and useless for everything else. Ideas: Add uses for the other core MTG items (like ladder). Or allow to craft/smelt it back. Or rename the item to something like “Door Steel Rod” to make it clear it's for door use only.

I noticed many wooden doors don't burn in the furnace, and there is no logic about which doors burn and which doors don't.

I noticed the Mansion Exterior Door's inventory image is very different from the actual door.

I noticed the side textures of some of the doors are a bit lacking. Some doors do have some iron bars or wooden bars highly visible at the front and back, but the iron bars disappear when you look at the door. The offenders are Castle Exterior Door, Barn Exterior Door, Barn Interior Door.

What I miss a bit are wood-specific doors. Currently all wooden doors are craftable with all woods. It would be cool if there were doors that require a particular wood and have an unique style. But I am not sure if this would work out nicely with this current mod's style … :-( The idea here is for simply to give a reason/reward to hunt down a particular type of wood. :-) But I wouldn't eliminate the group-based recipes, so that most wooden doors are still accessible as long you have any wood. I am also not 100% sure about the suggestion. Because the current door set is already quite impressive.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Thanks for the feedback Wuzzy. That means a lot!

One of my primary motivations for creating this mod was indeed the lack of variety of doors that fit the classic Minetest aesthetic and could integrate easily into existing worlds without looking completely out of place. I'm glad you find it to your liking :)

I'll definitely take your suggestions into account in the next release (long overdue I know). I can gladly adapt the steel rods for other crafting recipes like steel rails and steel ladders. And it does make sense that the wooden doors should also be usable as fuel in the furnace, with appropriate burn times of course.

Additional door designs that people have requested are already on the drawing board as well as a number of other cool features that I don't want to disclose quite yet ;) Thanks for your patience everyone!

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I haven't checked, but if it lacks support for mesecons, could you please add support to the doors for levers, pressure pads, and buttons? I use this mod on my server and it would be nice to see additional doors supporting these.

If it is already implemented, I'm sorry for pestering :) This has been on my short-list for all the doors in my server, but I havent gotten to it yet.

Nice mod, btw! :)
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

Hi. I forked and fixed the texture naming issue, as I have this mod on my server.

I have created a PR to the Github repository here: https://github.com/sorcerykid/extra_doors/pull/2

ContentDB still has it bugged, in the meantime you may want to either have a local fix or checkout from my fork here: https://github.com/ronoaldo/extra_doors
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

Germain

by Germain » Post

Thanks

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

ronoaldo wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 01:53
Hi. I forked and fixed the texture naming issue, as I have this mod on my server.
I'm glad to hear that you're using Extra Doors on your server! I know that is a very old bug, and I apologize about not getting it patched sooner. Trying to juggle too many projects, and this one got put on the back burner with the release of Doors Redux.

At least it's an easy fix, so I can probably get that pushed out within the next couple weeks. Thanks again for the heads up!

ronoaldo
GitHub: ronoaldo
IRC: ronoaldo
In-game: RonoaldoKakashi

by ronoaldo » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 00:55
ronoaldo wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 01:53
I'm glad to hear that you're using Extra Doors on your server! I know that is a very old bug, and I apologize about not getting it patched sooner. Trying to juggle too many projects, and this one got put on the back burner with the release of Doors Redux.

At least it's an easy fix, so I can probably get that pushed out within the next couple weeks. Thanks again for the heads up!
Nice to hear that! Kindly let me know if the PR is usefull, otherwise I can change it accordingly. But indeed it was an easy fix, if you want to review/merge it should be easy to do. As soon as it is fixed I'm going to move back into the upstream version :D
Servers: Mercurio | Tools: ContentDB CLI | Mods: minenews

mazes
GitHub: mazes-80
IRC: mazes_80
In-game: mazes

by mazes » Post

Hi, I still didn't use the mod in builds but it looks neat.

I added basic_materials compatibilty here

it is mostly to get rid of default:steel_rod which is nearly same as basic_materials:steel_bar, even the second item require double amount of steel.