...seems the to do list just got longer!
Some of these things have already been fixed in 0.2.
- Lighting is broken for thin tree trunks (hint: paramtype="light")
Ah.... a mystery solved!
- Trees sometimes float over river water
This is the result of the same species being in multiple biomes, one of which is sand or gravel. So it spawns in the river in the other biome. Eventually I will rearrange some species. Maybeeeee it will fix it.
- Raupo on top of sinking mud is highly unstable. If you place or dig a block next to it, it drops as an item. If there is a lot of raupo in the swamp, it creates a chain-reaction
...and that part of the reason I completely redone that biome!
- Already providing some interesting new crafts
Huh? What's the bug?
- It's tricky to craft a stone pickaxe, a lot of stones are rejected
Yes... technology. Ah... A full on Aotearoa game is probably needed to give a suitable tech for this map. As for stone axes... I made big trees unbreakable by hand, which makes wood hard to get. So I made stone axes craftable from gravel. This is what people would have realistically done. Go to the river and find a good river stone.
(I am trying various experiments like this, which may or may not prove to be much good ultimately)
- No ores generate for quite a while, they seem to only generate in default stone, which appears deeper
Ores are way different in 0.2. See comments above.
- Still generates generic “grass” and “dry grass” alongside lots of scientifically-named plants. This mix or generic with specific is ugly. Aotearoa should have its own style of grass
True. They are half place filler, half to give the wheat/cotton. Again... farming... drifting into an Aotearoa game.
- The bird ambience sound quality varies greatly. A lot of the recordings are of low quality and not fun to listen to with headphones
The originals were terrible. See website in comments above. I cleaned them as best I could. Some still have rough patches.
- The textures of Minetest Game really drag the overall quality of this mod down. This mod has its own art style which just doesn't go well together with Minetest Game's
Most default has been banished to -15000. Ultimately it may be banished entirely.
- Minetest Game (!) has a richer sea life than this mod
I'm getting there...
- Make thin tree trunks craft to wooden planks (but less than 4)
1. this already has soooo many wood textures!
2. a lot of these things are too useless to make wooden planks from.
- (Longterm) Cut ties to Minetest Game and make this an independent game, possibly reworking all the default cruft (especially textures)
I'm gonna have to start asking for donations if people want to see that! It would be an epic undertaking.
- Add bushes, MTG style
If you are referring to the single node bushes... for some that might... maybe... be appropriate. For others... no.
- Add dense forests. I feel like all biomes are relatively sparse. Are there really no dense forests? Even MTG forests “feel” more dense. Intentional?
Again see comments above. I have reduced some of the lag by reducing the "openness" of leaf textures. I suspect even the dense MTG forests have significantly less vegetation, but it's tiny trees packed tight vs my forest giants. Things get pitch black too at realistic densities. Minetest eyes are unable to adjust to the dark!
- Add fence gates for every wood
I could never find the way these are registered. I know it's there... somewhere. Anyone care to post an example?
I've been working on biomes. Some big rearrangements there. More to come.
(I've split the main forests up. This is new beech forest. Looks good with a weather mod).
1. Rocks. 99.9% done.
2. Add all possible biomes. In progress.
3. Sort out vegetation, soils etc for each biome.
4. All that niggly little stuff.
0.2 is currently playable, but I am in the middle of fiddling with it. See the branch on github if you want to test it.