WIP Mod [Mobs-World] (for mobs redo)

SystemError
In-game: Havoc

WIP Mod [Mobs-World] (for mobs redo)

by SystemError » Post

Hello!

I was always wishing to have a more active and diverse environment in the game and after a cupple years of waiting and watching the forums I decided to try it myself, but unfortuantely I have absolutely no programming skills and my mental state is often not useful to get something done, so I thought i better post it, hoping someone might like the idea too any maybe offer some help on different thigns, before i give up and the little things which are already done (mostly imported mob-skins from open source minecraft fansites ^^ ) get lost.

This is supposed to become a compilation of several minetest mob-mods for mobs redo.

I don't own any rights on the files i used from other mods in my modpack of cause and if anyone is angry at me or I'm violating any licenses please let me know and I will remove those files.

Already done :
- created mods for different ages (stoneage, medieval, modern, future)
- created teams which are allied or fight each others
- imported and edited a few textures
- imported files from other mobs in order to have different mobs in the ages and their teams
- edited mobs_redo api to add mob types for several teams :§
- edited mobs_redo api to add shoot types (grenade throw, spear throw, arrow shoot, pumpgunshoot,..) :§

To do :
- add more mobs
- add more textures
- create functions to make mobs do jobs and go to places ( the ones i found in other mods were too big or not compatible with mobs redo :[ )
- understand programming or let somebody else do it in order to shorten code in stupidly edited files or be able to add usefull functions

For any helpful feedback i will be very thankful. But please speak like you speak to an idiot, so i can understand it.

full modpack zip:
https://github.com/SystemError89/Mobs-World

mobs_stoneage:
https://github.com/SystemError89/mobs_stoneage

mobs_medieval:
----------

mobs_modern:
https://github.com/SystemError89/mobs_modern
moTAsoldiers.png
moTAsoldiers.png (589 KiB) Viewed 340 times
moTBsoldiers.png
moTBsoldiers.png (604.98 KiB) Viewed 340 times
moTCsoldiers.png
moTCsoldiers.png (617.89 KiB) Viewed 340 times

mobs_future:
https://github.com/SystemError89/mobs_future
Last edited by SystemError on Thu Jan 17, 2019 01:54, edited 2 times in total.
Are you threatening me !?

SystemError

Re: WIP Mod [Mobs-World] (for mobs redo)

by SystemError » Post

oh.. forgot the link
here it is :

wziard

by wziard » Post

SystemError wrote:oh.. forgot the link
here it is :

I was curious to see what you already did. But putting stuff in a zipfile kind of defeats the use of putting it on github. People now can't suggest changes to individual files because everything is on one file.

Also, git can only record/show differences for text files. So if someone proposes a change to a part of the zip you need to re-upload/download the whole 18MB zip each time.
if anyone is angry at me or I'm violating any licenses please let me know and I will remove those files
But that's not really how it works of course. You should check the licences of stuff *before* you include it. Not doing so could get you in a lot of trouble. Now while I don't think people here will start any legal actions against you, you might want to look up all the licences for the stuff you used.

The compilation does look promising.

AiTechEye
GitHub: AiTechEye

by AiTechEye » Post

i can help you, but first:
1: I had this problem before: create a new repository (the "+" button --> new repository)
2: check the Initialize this repository with a README box, it creates a md/textfile, it makes it a lot easyer to handle your stuff.

3: then drop your files and folders on the repository page, github will create folders to you. (but not more then 100 files at same time)

if you want your own mobs mod, i can make a simple one to you, then you can have a chance to start somewhere.

but if you dont want to code / or very litle, try aliveai viewtopic.php?t=16083 you have lots of settings and callbaks, so you can simply generate bots/mobs with very litle job (can be customized to 100%).

n the minetest/game folders can you find lots of examples of code,

SystemError

by SystemError » Post

@ wziard
I was somehow expecting it wouldn't work like that with the license :§

Would it be accepteable if I just make a list of all files I used from other mods and list them with the names of their creators and the mods they are from ? and make clear i don't claim anything of those as my own and redirect the license stuff ?

@wziard & AiTechEye
I'm slowly gettign into the use of github, but I'm already feel like it's not worth the effort to upload each single file, when everything still is in progress and propably will get changed again.
The fact that it already took about half an hour just to upload a few pictures into a mod's "textures" repositiry pissed me off and I think I will onkly upload files i need help with and keep reuploading the zip becuase that's much easier for me then keeping an overlook on all single files.
But i now uploaded 3 of my 4 mods just if someone wants to look at it without downloading the zip.

@AiTechEye
thanks for your offer. I might come up with more questions in the future, but i feel like i have already done too much to change the basics of my mod
AI-Mobs is the most complex mobs-mod i know and i like the idea very much. Unfortunately it slows down my pc very much. That's why i started to work with mobs redo.
But redo is missing basic stuff like mobs having a home or doing more complex stuff than walking around and fighting/replacing nodes/ following a player...

wziard

by wziard » Post

Would it be accepteable
That completely depends on the license of the mod you took the files from. I know it's a nuisance and you don't really want to think about it (at least, that's the way it is for me). But alas, there's no way round it.

You *have* to read the license of the mod you took the files from and that way find out what you need to do to re-use them. For some licenses you don't have to do anything, for some others you need to list the original authors etc etc.

Some licenses could even be incompatible with each other, which would mean you just can't use the files together. Some licenses prohibit re-use altogether.

But don't despair. there are not so many licenses in use in this community (as far as I have seen so far), so while the first few will be slow work, you'll encounter more and more licenses you already know while going.
github use
Github is mainly useful if you use git yourself on your own computer, to keep track of your work. If you don't want to do that, you can of course just abuse it as generic file storage, though maybe something like dropbox might be better suited for that purpose.

I Highly recommend using git yourself though. It takes some learning to get the hang of it, but once you have all your stuff in a git repository it's extremely nice to be able to look back into the history of your project and see all the changes you made over time.