[wip] The Aether [aether]

Oil_boi
GitHub: oilboi
IRC: oilboi
In-game: oilboi

[wip] The Aether [aether]

by Oil_boi » Post

The Aether Mod

This mod brings heavenly islands to Minetest. Heavily work in progress.

If anyone can help me with creating a biome in the sky instead of using voxel manip it would be much appreciated!

A video: https://youtu.be/ZZZ40m-Iw-I

Github: https://github.com/oilboi/Aether

License: CC0

This account is no longer active

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: [wip] The Aether [aether]

by Hume2 » Post

Good idea. I think, you don't use the Perlin noise correctly because of all these sharp edges. I can't find the mistake in your code. I only remember that I was having similar bugs.

I'd advice making the island more sparse, so they won't cast so many shadows. Also make them more flat to make it easier to build on.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Oil_boi
GitHub: oilboi
IRC: oilboi
In-game: oilboi

by Oil_boi » Post

Hume2 wrote:Good idea. I think, you don't use the Perlin noise correctly because of all these sharp edges. I can't find the mistake in your code. I only remember that I was having similar bugs.

I'd advice making the island more sparse, so they won't cast so many shadows. Also make them more flat to make it easier to build on.
Hey thanks a lot! I fixed it :D I also added diamondblock as a "decoration". And yeah! I'll try that tomorrow, flat islands sound nice
This account is no longer active

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

2 floatland mods of my own (quite old):
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8560
viewtopic.php?t=9175

There is a a way to stop shadows propagating downwards to worlds surface, or even stop propagating onto other floatlands. In the lua voxelmanip API there is a bool for shadow propagation from above, see https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L3142

You should use the 'mapgen object voxelmanip' in your mod it is faster as the voxelmanip is pre-loaded with the result of core mapgen, so no need to 'read from map'. When using this you need to use 'set lighting' and 'calc lighting' (which is where you use the shadow bool).
Also, use 'get perlin map' (bulk noise) instead of separate noise calls per node, again much faster.
See my mods for code examples for all these.

Your code indentation is a mess and makes it unreadable on github, only use tabs to indent.

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

paramat wrote: There is a a way to stop shadows propagating downwards to worlds surface, or even stop propagating onto other floatlands. In the lua voxelmanip API there is a bool for shadow propagation from above, see https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... .txt#L3142
Edit: shadows propagating downwards has been solved in cloudlands, though the solution below would be more appropriate for aether than the one put in cloudlands.

I always wondered about that, I have that set in hallelujah mountains, and they still tend to black out the ground-level light if they spawn low enough for island and ground to both be visible (assuming the island was emerged first). I didn't notice the setting make any difference.

Also tried vm:calc_lighting(nil, false) and vm:calc_lighting(false).

Since it affects the chunk that receives the shadow, perhaps it's the chunk below the slylands that has to have propagate_shadow off, rather than skyland chunk that creates the shadow, so I should emerge a chunk under the islands?
Last edited by DrFrankenstone on Mon Mar 30, 2020 03:04, edited 6 times in total.

nolombic
In-game: nolombic

by nolombic » Post

I think it's cool that you've started working on an aether mod for minetest and I wish I could help you with that.
Sadly I haven't gotten around to teaching myself some lua, so I can't help you with the programming at this time.
But since I like the current concept I just wanted to give you some encouraging words and some ideas to add or change.
  • First of all I'd adjust the minumum height to at least 1000 blocks, maybe even higher (e.g. 5000 to contrast the nether mod).
    Second of all a floatier gravity could see fit in here (cf. Other Worlds/Asteroids).
    And third of all I'd have to agree with the other comments about how the islands should be a little more spaced out.
This mod could also work very well with other mods if the beginning height and the end height are easily definable.

And once I get around to learing lua I might even be able to help you with the making of this mod.
But until then keep up the good work on this heavenly counterpart to the nether.
I'm positive the ather will be wonderful.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

Nice idea! Is it supposed to be an (almost) exact copy or is it just inspired by the original Minecraft mod?
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

I am the new developer for this mod.
Yeet.

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

https://user-images.githubusercontent.c ... 161305.PNG
Brand new stone texture for The Aether instead of retexturing default.
Yeet.