[Forum maintenance] nginx-1.12.2 vs nginx-1.16.0

snoopy

[Forum maintenance] nginx-1.12.2 vs nginx-1.16.0

by snoopy » Post

Zweihorn wrote:Apparently https://forum.minetest.net/ needs an upgrade and some maintenance.

In recent times there is some hassle in access and a 504 Gateway Time-out nginx/1.12.2 error message occurs.

Ref to the web server used:
- nginx-1.12.2 used by the a.m. forum software
- nginx-1.16.0 stable version has been released 2019-04-23

The issue should be considered in the light of both user access and security I presume.

Unfortunately, I cannot volunteer for this. Furthermore, this problem report may not be placed optimally but I am not aware how to distribute this issue without the forum.
Please see the Forum maintenance needed! #171 problem report.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Forum maintenance] nginx-1.12.2 vs nginx-1.16.0

by Linuxdirk » Post

This could be the root of the occasional slowness (replies take up to 5-10 seconds), too.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

nginx has multiple stable branches. the server is currently on one of the stable branches. Just because it's not the latest stable branch, that doesn't mean that it is old, unmaintained or buggy.

The CVE's you list don't appear to apply to the MT server, since it doesn't use HTTP/2 or the `mp4` directive.

So it's not all cut and dry.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Thank you very much for you able advice and immediate reply.

You are absolutely correct. E.g., the current version for Debian stretch is nginx 1.10.3-1+deb9u2 and thus even a more legacy version than the more current nginx 1.12 of the MT forum. There is no ground to question the quality of maintenance.

However, the lag and timeouts seem to be an issue while accessing the MT forum during the last days.

Please accept my apologies for my insufficient contribution. I did not want to hassle and will do a more thorough research before producing such report next time.