[mod] Dungeon crates [dungeon_crates]

Astrobe

[mod] Dungeon crates [dungeon_crates]

by Astrobe » Post

Aaannnd... Another dungeon loot mod.

This one is a simplified version of BlockMen's.

For every dungeon room, Dungeon Crates picks a node at random from the "crates" table defined at the top of the file. If you don't want a crate in every room, add some "air" to the table (or water, because why not?).

Dungeon Crates defines a crate node and uses the "drop" field for the loot definition. There's no crate inventory, just edit the "drop" field. You can also change the "max_items" if you want it to drop more than one thing.

The mod doesn't include special textures for the crate; it uses default_wood by default to avoid spurious dependencies.
Attachments
dungeon_crates.zip
Version 1.0
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by Astrobe on Mon Feb 18, 2019 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: Dungeon crates

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Nice, I've been looking for something like this. +1

Suggestions
  • Add a license (I personally prefer MIT. It lets people do pretty much whatever they want with my code)
  • Put the mod on Github to make it easier for people to contribute/view your code
  • Put the mod on the Minetest ContentDB to allow 5.0 users to easily download your mod
  • Change mod topic to something like [Mod] Dungeon Crates [dungeon_crates] so it can be put in the mod releases section
My ContentDB -|- Working on Voxel Knights -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Astrobe

Re: [mod] Dungeon crates [dungeon_crates]

by Astrobe » Post

The license statement is at the beginning of the file.

Putting it on Github or Gitlab is not worth it in my opinion; the whole point is to do something small and simple, so I don't intend to add functionality to it. Furthermore not everyone have a Github account, and even then clone/commit/push/send a PR is a heavy process for a mod so small that it could easily fit in a forum post.

As for ContentDB, well, maybe. There's no other dungeon loot mod there at the moment. I've got to come up with sound defaults for an MTG-like game.

I fixed the topic to fit the forum guidelines, thanks for the reminder.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Astrobe wrote:The license statement is at the beginning of the file.
Ah, you might want to add it to the main post too. People usually put their licenses there if they have one. It's also possible that it's a Mod Releases requirement
My ContentDB -|- Working on Voxel Knights -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Nice and simple, good work.
Mods | Support Mesehub: bc1qluuests9rxmlnvpjrhsnyjg9ucwy6z3r0y3srw

dawgdoc
GitHub: dawgdoc

by dawgdoc » Post

Astrobe wrote:...Putting it on Github or Gitlab is not worth it in my opinion; the whole point is to do something small and simple, so I don't intend to add functionality to it. Furthermore not everyone have a Github account, and even then clone/commit/push/send a PR is a heavy process for a mod so small that it could easily fit in a forum post.

As for ContentDB, well, maybe...
A player doesn't need an account with Github/Gitlab/Notabug/ or the other repositories to use git to clone and make pull requests to get and/or update mods. It is much simpler to use a script to keep mods updated than to be continually scouring the forum to see if a mod has been updated recently. {I actually do have a github account, but no accounts with Notabug (Tenplus1's mods), Gitlab (Vanessa's mods), nor repo.or.cz (Wuzzy's mods and games).}

Not that I expect you to change your decision. ;-}
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a kid a fish, it's going to die.