[Mod]Ocean [xocean][2.4]

StarNinjas
GitHub: starninjas
IRC: StarNinjas
In-game: J1

[Mod]Ocean [xocean][2.4]

by StarNinjas » Post

Ocean adds an extended version of minetest's default ocean. It adds a variety of coral reefs, fish, decorative ocean-themed blocks, and much more!
Adds:
-Corals: Brain, Bubble, Horn, Fire, and Tube
-Tropical Fish: Kob, Dasher, Snapper, and SunStreak
-Ocean Blocks: Ocean stone, Cobblestone, Brick, Pillar, Carved Stone, and Circular Stone
Credit:
A big thanks to disconnected and ratmix for the amazing models!!
Thank you Nathan for the review!
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZt8OPuH2U
License:
MIT
Depends:
mobs? -Adds fishes and dolphins.
Download:
https://github.com/starninjas/xocean
Attachments
Coral Reefs by Eran
Coral Reefs by Eran
screenshot.png (282.52 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Last edited by StarNinjas on Tue Sep 20, 2022 23:10, edited 8 times in total.
Don't go to bed tonight, without knowing what would happen if you died. https://thegospelfilm.org/

StarNinjas

Re: [Mod]Ocean [xocean][2.0]

by StarNinjas » Post

Does anyone has requests?

EDIT: Screenshot in attachment.
Don't go to bed tonight, without knowing what would happen if you died. https://thegospelfilm.org/

Brian Gaucher
GitHub: BrianGaucher
In-game: Camasia

by Brian Gaucher » Post

I recreated the modding competition forum : viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22416

given the chaos from the forums being down, I'll extend the deadline.
Current projects: Making a CTF map, Learning C++, Learning Programmer's Dvorak

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Thank you!

angus-parvis

by angus-parvis » Post

Code: Select all

2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/brain.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/horn.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/bubble.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/tube.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/fire.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/brain2.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/horn2.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/bubble2.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/tube2.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/fire2.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/tube3.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/brain3.mts'
2019-05-08 12:02:57: ERROR[Main]: loadSchematicFromFile: unable to open file '/schems/brain4.mts'
These are debug messages. They only appear when I run Minetest and play on world with this mod enabled, then exit to menu and play the same or other world with xocean enabled. To fix it I have to restart Minetest.
As for feature requests, it would be cool to be able to ride dolphins. But I think dolphin model is too similar to Minecraft dolphin.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

angus-parvis, are you sure you're running the latest code? I was experiencing the same error, but submitted a fix which was merged.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

angus-parvis

by angus-parvis » Post

I ran mod version from ContentDB. Now I downloaded it from Github and it looks like issue is gone. Thanks

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Nathen has fixed that problem, for the dolphins sounds cool and this mod is minecraft inspired :)

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

StarNinjas,

Would it be possible to make a "Fish School" mob? Rather than too many multiple entities, more like the butterflies or bees, animated texture sprite based but movable entity?

And maybe a stingray or manta ray mob?

The corals and dolphin are awesome. I really hope you don't mind if I add all this to lib_materials / lib_ecology.

As for the mobs, I have been cobbling together a new mobs mod, to include essentially all naturally occuring wildlife, and thus all mob mods that include such models and textures. I have whales, fish, octopii, sharks, and others from the Farlands game. These will make a great addition to all this.

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

You may use my mod in any way :) Schools sound cool, If you give me a link to your mobs mod I may add some of em, I'm planning on adding more mobs.

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

When will you be submitting this mod to the modding competition?

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Oh I thought you submitted my mods for me, well could u do that :) If not i'll do it.

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

I could re-submit your mod. But I know there is one mod you are replacing with this one. So AFAIK you are submitting Ocean [xocean] and XBlox. I will add them. Unless those aren't right. There is just some confusion as to which mods you are submitting.

P.S. Xblox doesn't have a repository listed on the forum post, just a dropbox link. It was probably removed by the server rollback.
P.P.S. Oceans doesn't have an extended description on the ContentDB, just saying.

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Brian Gaucher wrote:I could re-submit your mod. But I know there is one mod you are replacing with this one. So AFAIK you are submitting Ocean [xocean] and XBlox. I will add them. Unless those aren't right. There is just some confusion as to which mods you are submitting.

P.S. Xblox doesn't have a repository listed on the forum post, just a dropbox link. It was probably removed by the server rollback.
P.P.S. Oceans doesn't have an extended description on the ContentDB, just saying.
Just don't submit Xblox, I will add a description when I have time.

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

I request that magma blocks and tube worms be added
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Hopefully will be :)

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Hi,

Congratulations on winning that mod competition. xocean is a nice simple mod. I have some ideas that I'd like to share. I hope thats ok. I wrote a lot so I broke it into sections.

Overview

I like this mod, it makes the water and ocean in Minetest feel more lifelike. Also, I like the extensions for default:kelp. Dried kelp and kelp block are nice to have and compliment the game well. The included recipe to make Sushi is nice. The kelp block doesn't necessarily make perfect sense, but that's OK. I like that you added blocks for default:coral too. I like the ocean stone blocks a lot too. I like the mob_spawners for fish, being a bucket with a fishy head peering out, it looks very cute.

Some constructive criticism...

Seagrass
Seagrass is a bit useless. Its a good concept but I feel like it needs a use. Its only decorative at the moment, its a nice addition though.

Beached mobs
Sea mobs tend to get washed up on shore a lot. I know this isn't a problem specific to this mod, it happens with all sealife mods. But it really needs a solution because it happens too much and ruins immersion of all sea mobs. They also get stuck, can't attack, and are easily defeated when they're beached. Any ideas on how we can fix this up a bit?

Modpack
I'd also have to agree with previous criticism that this mod would be a better better as a modpack and if it were a bit more modularized. The mobs, corals or ocean-stone blocks could be separated. I'm not sure how that would affect mapgen in this mod.

Some ideas for additions...

Sharks
There is a mobs_shark that exists with three shark sizes and a few different skins. I think that would be a good a good addition to this mod. I have it set in my server and its nice to have a hostile sea mob. The skin for it is a bit crude currently, it could use an bit of a rework. A copy of it was listed here recently: https://notabug.org/TenPlus1/mobs_water

Turtle
The turtle mob in that pack is well done too. I think a sea turtle would make a sensible addition. There was a bug I saw that crashes the game on line 54. Just uncomment that out and its a stable mob.

--                      set_velocity(self, 0)
Dolphins
By default, two dolphins are the max that can spawn at once in the spawn_specific line for them. Considering that dolphins tend to be a social mammal, could you consider adding the parameter from mobs_redo. This way if a player attacks a dolphin, and there is another nearby, the other dolphin will come to help its group.

group_attack = true,
'group_attack' when true has same mob type grouping together to attack
offender.
Also, the dolphin looks rather white. White dolphins do exist. But I think the colloquial color associated with dolphins is typical a grey color, like bottle-nose dolphins. When I first saw the dolphin in this mob, I thought it was a Beluga Whale. Some players on my server have asked me about the "whales" too. I had to explain that they were, in fact, dolphins.

Whales
Whales could be added with a few different skins, such as Killer Whale. There was a whale model that exists in dmobs (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14382) I've never used that pack though. I may test it. There is a screenshot of it in the MT wiki. https://wiki.minetest.net/File:Whale_(dmobs).png

Eating fish
Some of the mobs like dolphins and sharks, perhaps whales, are known for preying on schools of fish. I experimented with this by having the shark attack animal_mobs. The shark swam around attacking fish and attacking dolphins. There was some work to figure this out logically, but it was neat to watch. I felt like it gave more naturalness and variation to the mobs. I altered the dolphins to attack monsters so the dolphins and sharks would get into fights and the dolphins would group up. It was a bit buggy, but sort of worked sometimes. I'm not sure if this could be done well since the mobs_api seems limited in this respect, I don't think you can tell a mob to only attack a specific other mob? Finally, if this was implemented the wish drops would have to be set somehow. Perhaps the sharks could be set (via mob_api) to pickup the tropical fish drop but delete it since killing a shark would drop a lot of fish then. I've seen tmw_slimes be configured to pickup and hold inventory items from players, mobs can be set to pickup items.

Spawners
A funny observation about the spawning items in this mod:For dolphins, the spawn item is an egg and for the fish they are buckets. In reality, dolphins are mammals that spawn don't have eggs and fish do spawn from eggs. Not a big deal though, plenty mobs have eggs that aren't spawned from eggs. I also like the consistency of eggs as spawners in the mob mods. I just found it a bit ironic and funny.

Let me know what you think, I wouldn't mind helping during my free time.
Last edited by FreeGamers on Tue Jul 09, 2019 06:02, edited 1 time in total.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Holly-Guacamole, Thanks man thous are all great ideas I will see what I can Do!!!

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

jeremyweston wrote:Beached mobs
Sea mobs tend to get washed up on shore a lot. I know this isn't a problem specific to this mod, it happens with all sealife mods. But it really needs a solution because it happens too much and ruins immersion of all sea mobs. They also get stuck, can't attack, and are easily defeated when they're beached. Any ideas on how we can fix this up a bit?
I don't know if this is what you were asking, but it stuck out:
Hello

for my part I settled the stranding of the sharks by doing the following manipulation:

Edit the file mobs_water \ mobs_sharks \ init.lua

I deleted the loop do_custom = function (self) of the large sharks

then I added two attributes to each shark:

jump = false,
stepheight = 0.1,

Here are the sharks no longer attack on land but at least they do not stay on the beach.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12652&start=25#p305365

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

That helps thanks!

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

I could try modding some ocean decorations. We could start modularising it into smaller mods to make a modpack. Ocean decorations could include underwater doors, signs, lamps, etc. I'd be willing to mod, but once I leave for school in September someone else should take over.

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Brian Gaucher wrote:I could try modding some ocean decorations. We could start modularising it into smaller mods to make a modpack. Ocean decorations could include underwater doors, signs, lamps, etc. I'd be willing to mod, but once I leave for school in September someone else should take over.
Hmmm maybe I sould make some type of ocean copper, it could be used for things like doors, chests, signs.

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

StarNinjas wrote: Hmmm maybe I sould make some type of ocean copper, it could be used for things like doors, chests, signs.
Good idea, would it be possible to have some sort of ore that spawns only in water?

Under water ore deposits are oft called nodules, mostly manganese nodules, see this site https://www.wealthdaily.com/resources/u ... nies/51918

There could be gold, manganese (nickel and copper), nickel, copper, silver, cobalt, zinc, lead nodules. Check wikipedia https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Deep_sea_mining

from https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ean-threat
copper, cobalt, nickel and manganese, and the rare earth metals
copper, zinc and gold deposit
Extracting the metals will not require drilling. The ore deposits are in nodules strewn across the rolling plains of sediment that carpet the ocean floor. Oceanographers say they resemble knobbly black potatoes, ranging in size from a couple of centimetres to 30cm. Mining companies say it may be possible to scoop them up with giant tongs and then siphon them up to vessels waiting on the surface
from https://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/un ... tals/86762
The deposits aren't too hard to find—they're in seams spread along the seafloor, where natural hydrothermal vents eject rich concentrations of metals and minerals. These underwater geysers spit out fluids with temperatures exceeding 600ºC

Brian Gaucher

by Brian Gaucher » Post

Could we also use cook 'kelp blocks' into 'dried kelp blocks' and craft with that like wood, maybe 'dried kelp blocks' could be in group wood, or we can make new recipes.

Would it be better to create a new modpack on github/gitlab and develop one mod at a time, leaving this xocean mod as is? If we decide to do this, we should spend 1-2 weeks planning the structure, mods, who does what, the dependencies, and the order of development. Because this mod here, xocean, is okay; but changing it will make it a mess.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

StarNinjas wrote:
Brian Gaucher wrote:I could try modding some ocean decorations. We could start modularising it into smaller mods to make a modpack. Ocean decorations could include underwater doors, signs, lamps, etc. I'd be willing to mod, but once I leave for school in September someone else should take over.
Hmmm maybe I sould make some type of ocean copper, it could be used for things like doors, chests, signs.
That actually sounds like a nice idea.
This could be done in the way of sunken treasure ; )
scatter around on the ocean floor, Spanish doubloons and other types of metal coins..
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=spanish+doubl ... &ia=images
or even bars of copper, etc.. (or both)
This would catch a lot of user's attention...
A Wonderful World