[Mod]Ocean [xocean][2.4]

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: [Mod]Ocean [xocean][2.0]

by TumeniNodes » Post

Brian Gaucher wrote:Would it be better to create a new modpack on github/gitlab and develop one mod at a time, leaving this xocean mod as is? If we decide to do this, we should spend 1-2 weeks planning the structure, mods, who does what, the dependencies, and the order of development. Because this mod here, xocean, is okay; but changing it will make it a mess.
A mod pack is definitely the way to go. Just make sure the the individual mods do not end up depending on one another... they should only depend on the main mod (and default, if need be)
You want users to be able to pick and choose each individual mod within the pack to suit their taste... and un-tick the ones they do not wish to use.
This is most useful for server owners due to system resources...
A Wonderful World

StarNinjas
GitHub: starninjas
IRC: StarNinjas
In-game: J1

by StarNinjas » Post

I think creating a modpack named xocean should be fine. I think I can do it welly.
Don't go to bed tonight, without knowing what would happen if you died. https://thegospelfilm.org/

Brian Gaucher
GitHub: BrianGaucher
In-game: Camasia

by Brian Gaucher » Post

TumeniNodes wrote: A mod pack is definitely the way to go. Just make sure the the individual mods do not end up depending on one another... they should only depend on the main mod (and default, if need be)
You want users to be able to pick and choose each individual mod within the pack to suit their taste... and un-tick the ones they do not wish to use.
This is most useful for server owners due to system resources...
Maybe optional dependencies, such as decorations having recipes with the ores and allows in the ocean ores mod.
Current projects: Making a CTF map, Learning C++, Learning Programmer's Dvorak

Brian Gaucher
GitHub: BrianGaucher
In-game: Camasia

by Brian Gaucher » Post

Also, these mods should be based on creating a game, not modifying a game. So any testing should be done primarily on 'Minimal development test' and only dependencies to these mods should be allowed. Obviously, the mod shouldn't conflict with Vanilla Minetest. I'm not sure about the corals added in Minetest 5.0 though, perhaps an optional dependency which doesn't add them if they are already present.
Current projects: Making a CTF map, Learning C++, Learning Programmer's Dvorak

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

It dosnt conflict with minetest game's coral, and be prepared a huge cotent update is being worked on rn.
Don't go to bed tonight, without knowing what would happen if you died. https://thegospelfilm.org/

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Beta Testers Needed: If you wan't to sign up to test out it the upcoming update for my Ocean mod please PM me, 7/13/2019 is when I will randomly draw 3 people who signed up (PM me for more info)

There will be new types of creatures and many new things.

As a Beta Tester, you will look for bugs, and give me your thoughts.

Keep in mind that only 3 people are going to be chosen.

TommyTreasure
IRC: TommyTreasure
In-game: TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

You have a bug report on your github repo.

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Yes many bugs i'm guessing. I'm slowly making a new version that has more stuff and is more stable. It will proabably be hard to convert onto your server tho, because now its going to be a modpack.

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

That doesn't help my current issue of the server crashing when digging certain xocean nodes, and disabling the mod would fill most of the water ways with unknown nodes.

Not to sound ungrateful, but if the crash issue isn't fixed, I would find it very difficult to consider your modpack in the future. If you have no intention of addressing this issue, i would seriously consider removing your mod from the on-line content, as used in Minetest version 5.x, as well as removing it from your github repository.

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Looks like the problem is line 807 says "xocean:horn:skeleton" instead of "xocean:horn_skeleton".

To be honest, though, I would have gone with a different naming system. I would be constantly confused when to use "horn_skeleton" and when to use "skeleton_horn".

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

ThorfinnS wrote:Looks like the problem is line 807 says "xocean:horn:skeleton" instead of "xocean:horn_skeleton".

To be honest, though, I would have gone with a different naming system. I would be constantly confused when to use "horn_skeleton" and when to use "skeleton_horn".
That only takes care of the unknown item. There is still a crash issue when other nodes are mined/dug. I fixed that part when i first installed the mod.

Not all Minetest Admins are lua coders.

hlqkj
GitHub: hlqkj
IRC: hlqkj
In-game: hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

ThorfinnS wrote:Looks like the problem is line 807 says "xocean:horn:skeleton" instead of "xocean:horn_skeleton".

That's an issue but not the cause of the crash. Looking at the traceback posted on GitHub its clear that a node is not registered (that is, 'xocean:horn_skeleton') and that the problem arises when digging something.

If you look at https://github.com/starninjas/xocean/bl ... t.lua#L791 you'll see that the node causing the crash is registered as 'xocean:skeleton_horn' but is elsewhere referred as 'xocean:horn_skeleton'. For example see L808:

Code: Select all

node_dig_prediction = "xocean:horn_skeleton",
I can confirm I tried fixing this naming ambiguity and the problem disappeared.

Its clear someone did an incomplete refactoring on this code, as I see also other nodes suffer the same issue (e.g. L918, node xocean:skeleton_fire).
StarNinjas wrote:Yes many bugs i'm guessing. I'm slowly making a new version that has more stuff and is more stable. It will proabably be hard to convert onto your server tho, because now its going to be a modpack.
Imao, even if you're making a new version, that doesn't mean you can avoid fixing bugs on the current version since you published it and, hence, people is expecting it to be stable and/or supported...
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

hlqkj wrote:If you look at https://github.com/starninjas/xocean/bl ... t.lua#L791 you'll see that the node causing the crash is registered as 'xocean:skeleton_horn' but is elsewhere referred as 'xocean:horn_skeleton'. For example see L808:
I get that. Look at the code a little closer, StarNinjas uses a parallel naming structure with both "tube_skeleton" and skeleton_tube", both "brain_skeleton" and "skeleton_brain". Hardly surprising that there is both a "horn_skeleton" and a "skeleton_horn".

I'm having lousy luck finding horn coral to try digging it. Maybe later...

[EDIT]
I don't know for sure whether StarNinjas didn't mean for them to be separate blocks. Looks to me as if the coral itself is a plantlike node that drops a coral block you can use to build or craft. I think that's reasonable. Renaming everything as I think you suggest would make it so only one or the other exists.
[/EDIT]

hlqkj
GitHub: hlqkj
IRC: hlqkj
In-game: hlqkj

by hlqkj » Post

ThorfinnS wrote: I don't know for sure whether StarNinjas didn't mean for them to be separate blocks.
If he meant to register two different blocks, then one of them two is completely missing from the code, that would be impossible for us to fix.

[EDIT]
Looking closer at the code I agree with what you said: they seems to be different blocks...
[/EDIT]
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

TommyTreasure wrote:

That only takes care of the unknown item. There is still a crash issue when other nodes are mined/dug. I fixed that part when i first installed the mod.

Not all Minetest Admins are lua coders.
What nodes are you crashing on? I've dug tube coral and the various colored corals (that now return horn coral skeletons or horn coral skeleton blocks, as appropriate) without any issues. I have yet to find any horn coral, though.

TumeniNodes, what's the advantage of a modpack vs a regular old init.lua filled with dofiles controlled by a settingtypes.txt?

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

I've posted the traceback on the author's github repository issues.

https://github.com/starninjas/xocean/issues/2

When mod authors use the repo for issues, rather than the forum, it allows for other mod devs or coders to help fix the issue with pull requests.

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

This issue is fixed in the modpack version that I hope to bring out soon. If anyone is having bugs or problems, just un-enable the mod off your world for now, the old version (the current one for the forums) is very unstable so this mod shouldn't really be used till the modpack version is out.

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Also the two nodes stands for the plant-like one and the block.

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

StarNinjas wrote:This issue is fixed in the modpack version that I hope to bring out soon. If anyone is having bugs or problems, just un-enable the mod off your world for now, the old version (the current one for the forums) is very unstable so this mod shouldn't really be used till the modpack version is out.
If its 'fixed' in an unreleased version, then its not 'fixed' :)

Granted, this is still a WIP mod, but digging the affected node crashes the server. Maybe you should give that issue a higher priority, before proceeding with another project. Just saying.

In order for me to disable the current version of xocean, I would have to spend considerable time reviewing your registered nodes, and aliases, and write my own overrides and aliases.

I honestly think you should should consider fixing this version first.

Consider me a very unsatisfied customer.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

StarNinjas wrote:Also the two nodes stands for the plant-like one and the block.
Yeah, that's what I thought. The problem was just that you confused a few of the names. I in-line commented out the wrong ones and added back lines with the correct ones. The crew figures they mined around 1000 nodes in testing, and encountered no issues. I issued a PR last night.

Still, I hope you are doing some major streamlining in your new version. Either that or actually using some of the esoteric keys you are setting.

[EDIT]
For what it's worth, Tommy, what we changed should drop right in. Nothing important in the node definitions needed to change, just which nodes drop and which node replaces the plant node in the function calls. Hmmm, thought there was another. But no matter; you shouldn't have any of those in your world because the replacement for the plant node wasn't working properly for horn coral, so when the server crashed it replaced the node with nothing/air, which immediately filled with water on runtime. You should just be able to edit those few lines, or download it, assuming StarNinjas approves it. If not, and you don't want to hassle with your own edits, just replace his xoceans folder with the one on my git.

I think you are right, though, in that anything on ContentDB either needs to be actively maintained or work without crashing the server. Or at the very least marked as unstable.
[/EDIT]

TommyTreasure

by TommyTreasure » Post

@ThorfinnS, are you suggesting I switch to your fork? Will you be maintaining this version?

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

Thats what I thought about doing is releasing a non modpack version, I'll get working on it :)

StarNinjas

by StarNinjas » Post

VERSION 2.1!
-Fixed bugs
Please comment if you find any other bugs.

MyordasMineTest

Re: [Mod]Ocean [xocean][2.1]

by MyordasMineTest » Post

Can I request for this fishes to be added:

Rays
Saltwater Angelfish
Anthias
Bass and Groupers
Gramma Fish
Batfish
Blennies
Gobies
Boxfish and Pufferfish
Butterflyfish
Cardinalfish
Chromis
Damselfish
Dartfish
Dragonets
Eels
Filefish
Goatfish
Grunt
Hamlet
Hawkfish
Wrasse
Hogfish
Jackfish
Marlin
Jawfish
Lionfish
Parrotfish
Dottyback
Sea horse
Squirrelfish
Tang
Triggerfish
Cod
Milkfish
(maybe) Placoderms

StarNinjas

Re: [Mod]Ocean [xocean][2.1]

by StarNinjas » Post

Cool! I will have to keep the fish amount somewhat low so the mod is not overcrowded. Anyways the box fish/puffer fish is in the plans as well as the tang, and the rays.