[mod] Slimes inspired by TheManaWorld [tmw_slimes]

Piezo_

GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug
In-game: Piezo_ or TheRealPiezo_

[mod] Slimes inspired by TheManaWorld [tmw_slimes]

by Piezo_ » Sat May 18, 2019 18:26

Anyone here ever played The Mana World? It's another libre game out there, maybe not quite as popular as Minetest, but still very nice. Anyway, I've been there, and I decided to bring back some exotic slimes for y'all, inspired by the ones found in that game!

You want slimes? We got 'em! You want lava slimes? Yup, we got those, too!
You want poison slimes? No? Well, I added them, anyway! We've got every kind of slime this side of mars!
...And the other side, too, if you have other_worlds installed!

Make your Minetest experience a little (or a lot) more gooey, with tmw_slimes!

I've also added something special for those mad adventurers who would dare to challenge nature itself and create the perfect slime...

Depends: default, mobs_redo, fire

Download
License: GPLV3+
while (true) { suffer(); }

Joseph16

In-game: Joseph16

jeremyweston

GitHub: jeremyweston

Re: [mod] Slimes inspired by TheManaWorld [tmw_slimes]

by jeremyweston » Tue Jun 04, 2019 04:40

I haven't played TheManaWorld, but this is a well done mod. The variation in the slimes and their biome spawns is really good. It also has a really good artwork set and crafting basics. Many of the slime drops can be eaten with different effects. Slimes suck up items or players inventory after death and release them if killed which triggers a sound effect. Also the concept of them being a simple organic substance with a "living nucleus" connects the fantasy of slimes to a more grounded science-fiction explanation that fits in well with the world.

Well done. I've begun adding and modifying slime appropriate sound to my files to enhance this. I've added sound events for most of the actions which really improves this a bit more. The only items I'm wishing for is that they spawned in small and large variants. The current ones are quite small, it can make them sneaking up on you deadly because sometimes they are hard to hit. Some variants do a lot of damage, which is fine, you just have to be ready for that.

Underrated mod.

TenPlus1

GitHub: tenplus1

Sokomine

GitHub: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Wed Jun 12, 2019 15:48

I'd love to see them running (well, more or less :-)) around on a server.
A list of my mods can be found here.

ThorfinnS

GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Fri Jun 14, 2019 21:07

What mods do you recommend to play with this? Had everything but the diamond shield -- that was steel. One dropped from above, doing 14, and a second later, before I even had a chance to react, it did another 14.

Using full steel armor (trying to recover stuff) something did 27 in a single hit. No, I never saw it, but nothing else we have installed hits like that.

Wood armor is next to useless with some surface slimes. And if you ignore the surface world until you get steel armor, then the surface slimes are pansies.

Or is this really designed to one-shot players with the best armor they could have at that point in the game?

jeremyweston

by jeremyweston » Sat Jun 15, 2019 00:12

ThorfinnS wrote:What mods do you recommend to play with this? Had everything but the diamond shield -- that was steel. One dropped from above, doing 14, and a second later, before I even had a chance to react, it did another 14.

Using full steel armor (trying to recover stuff) something did 27 in a single hit. No, I never saw it, but nothing else we have installed hits like that.

Wood armor is next to useless with some surface slimes. And if you ignore the surface world until you get steel armor, then the surface slimes are pansies.

Or is this really designed to one-shot players with the best armor they could have at that point in the game?

I always envisioned slimes as a rather simplistic mob. I don't think they need to be so powerful. That said, I haven't gotten around to fully balancing and adjusting them yet, so I don't know what I'd recommend to you. You can set the damage values and HP values for each slime in the lua files. I may end up messing with the files at some point to create a fatter version with more HP or speed but haven't gotten to it. I think the little ones could be nerfed and it would seem reasonable.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Sat Jun 15, 2019 15:33

Ran into something I'm not understanding.

Code: Select all
2019-06-15 00:17:43: ACTION[Server]: Player singleplayer punched by LuaEntitySAO at (-649.923,8.68216,-135.402), damage 0 HP
2019-06-15 00:17:44: ACTION[Server]: Player singleplayer punched by LuaEntitySAO at (-649.905,7.51,-135.173), damage 0 HP
2019-06-15 00:17:45: ACTION[Server]: Player singleplayer punched by LuaEntitySAO at (-649.872,7.51,-134.513), damage 0 HP
2019-06-15 00:17:46: ACTION[Server]: Player singleplayer punched by LuaEntitySAO at (-649.872,7.51,-134.513), damage 0 HP
2019-06-15 00:17:47: ACTION[Server]: Player singleplayer punched by LuaEntitySAO at (-649.872,7.51,-134.513), damage 0 HP
2019-06-15 00:17:48: ACTION[Server]: Player singleplayer punched by LuaEntitySAO at (-649.872,7.51,-134.513), damage 0 HP
2019-06-15 00:17:49: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer dies at (-650,8,-133). Bones placed
2019-06-15 00:17:49: ACTION[Server]: Server: NoCheat: singleplayer tried to interact while dead; ignoring.

I was just peacefully ignoring a surface slime that was following me because I was armored up and he was doing no damage. And what do I really need more goo for anyway?

Then, I go from fully healed to dead. No damage, just dead. I've only skimmed the code, but I can't figure out what happened. Any guesses?

jeremyweston

by jeremyweston » Sun Jun 16, 2019 04:31

I couldn't tell you. Maybe your armor wore out and you got one-shotted.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 19:13

Finally had some time to play a bit.

That wasn't it. Went back, killed the slime, and he had my armor. Barely scratched. And I'd think that death would be like the others -- the line right before the "dies" announcement would be a punched for 27.

I'm still scratching my head how it happened. As the log shows, nothing did any damage. The line right before says I was punched for 0 damage, then 1 second later it just reported that I died and bones were placed. It's kind of like something is bypassing the whole damage system, maybe replacing it with some internal record-keeping or some insta-death thing, but if it's in the code somewhere, I missed it.

jeremyweston

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 20:28

Maybe. It was just an ocean slime. Or at least that's all I saw. It's possible I was being double-teamed. But if there were a poisonous slime there, too, that would explain it.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Wed Jun 26, 2019 21:24

Piezo has left Minetest for health concerns, so this mod probably won't be updated unless it's forked.
Most Minetest space mods are set in/on Outer Space, the Moon, and Mars, but I am making mods that take place on moons of gas giants.

The Minetest Modding Book can be useful for beginners. Check out Mesehub, the open-source equivalent of Github for Minetest.

Return to WIP Mods