[Mod] Duane's Experimental Mapgen [mapgen]

duane
GitHub: duane-r

[Mod] Duane's Experimental Mapgen [mapgen]

by duane » Post

This is an experimental mod I'm playing with. It's not and will never be useful for servers or long-term games. It can be used with C mapgens, as long as you avoid putting a surface terrain over the normal surface.

It uses layered worlds, similar to Realms. I've tried to make the biome/decoration code as close to the minetest game as possible. It can even spawn coral and other water decorations. However, there are still a few missing features.

The realms.conf file, which you must copy from realms.conf.example, contains all the data about where each type of terrain occurs. It can be edited as plain text, and matches the format of Realms, except that you may use a number sign at the start of a line to denote a comment.

At the moment, the worlds included are:

dflats: A simple terrain with hills, seas, and a lot of flat space to build on. It includes a mysterious network of tunnels underground.
Spoiler

flat_caves: A different type of caves, very open to lateral movement.
Spoiler
floaters: A layer of floating islands. The larger masses of rock are hollow, making for interesting caverns.
Spoiler
geomoria: A hand-made dungeon complex modeled loosely on Tolkien's Moria.
Spoiler
intersect: The standard narrow, descending caves from the C mapgens -- good for connecting cave systems.

islands: Copied almost verbatim from Termos' Islands mod, but using my biome generation. This is my current zero-world. (I love the terrain.)
Spoiler
simple_caves: Rounded caves complexes that don't connect across chunk boundaries. These may be full of water or lava, as long as an intersect cave doesn't run through them.
Spoiler
Terrains may specify either the default biomes (bm_default_biomes) or the ethereal biomes (bm_ethereal) for their surface. My fun_caves biomes (bm_fun_caves_biomes) are available below ground. You must download and enable ethereal if you use the ethereal biomes.

Ores are generated differently from the game, in simple, sparse cubes throughout the terrain. Usually, digging deeper will get you better ore (but not more).

The source is available on github.

Code: LGPL2, GPL3, textures: strictly CC0

Mod dependencies: default, geomorph
Optional: bucket, match_three, flowers

Download: https://github.com/duane-r/mapgen/archive/master.zip
Last edited by duane on Tue Oct 08, 2019 00:19, edited 8 times in total.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

duane

Re: [Mod] Experimental Mapgen [mapgen]

by duane » Post

My next addition will probably be some kind of cityscape that plugs in to the other mapgens. I have no idea how to make the terrain blend, so it may not be pretty.

TalkLounge
GitHub: TalkLounge
In-game: TalkLounge

Re: [Mod] Duane's Experimental Mapgen [mapgen]

by TalkLounge » Post

You are crazy. The best mapgen I've ever seen. Your mods big_tree & integral were such amazing, that I decided to use them on my survival server. But this mapgen now. Incredible. +1
Subgames Server: Sky World Subgames German Survival Server: Wildes Land 2 E-Mail: talklounge@yahoo.de

duane

by duane » Post

TalkLounge wrote:You are crazy. The best mapgen I've ever seen. Your mods big_tree & integral were such amazing, that I decided to use them on my survival server. But this mapgen now. Incredible. +1
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but something can be both pretty and unstable. My own experience at dating bears that out. : )

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Wow, this is really nice. Obviously it does seem unstable, but - wow. For an expiremental mapgen, this is fantastic. Just so many cool things in one, nice job!

duane

by duane » Post

CalebJ wrote:Wow, this is really nice. Obviously it does seem unstable, but - wow. For an expiremental mapgen, this is fantastic. Just so many cool things in one, nice job!
Thanks.

I've stuck the city base module in at origin, and probably fixed all the errors I introduced. It doesn't blend, but I'm not even sure if that's possible. Now I just need to figure out how to handle buildings.

Attachments
screenshot_20190709_234527.jpg
screenshot_20190709_234527.jpg (204.33 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

Skamiz Kazzarch
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Post

Nice work. I realy like mapgen mods since I find the default ones get boring realy fast, so this is a nice change of pace.

Also couldn't resist this:
duane wrote: My own experience at dating bears ...
Attachments
dating bears.jpg
dating bears.jpg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

duane

by duane » Post

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:Nice work.
: )

-------------------------------------

I got tired of falling to my death, so I added a water layer under the floaters. They also have cave environments in their hollow interiors. The spawn code for the floaters mostly works, if you set "mapgen_spawn_height" to around 570. Also, at some point, I added saplings for the cherry and oak trees.

Attachments
screenshot_20190718_030859.jpg
screenshot_20190718_030859.jpg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
screenshot_20190717_231619.jpg
screenshot_20190717_231619.jpg (227.74 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
screenshot_20190718_021742.jpg
screenshot_20190718_021742.jpg (221.68 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Duane wrote:...snip...>8..
I got tired of falling to my death, so I added a water layer under the floaters.
...8<...snap...
I wonder ...
maybe a new type of air node?
something that looks like air, maybe a bit more hazey but is thick enough to let the avatar swim on it - and if he needs to he can dive through it downwards, excluding any drowning effects though.

so just a layer of some rather thick air.

so technically similar to water but without all the fluid flowing cpu crunching stuff - just a static layer of another kind of air.

actually this could also be a region where water hitting it turns to mist without spreading like when hitting something solid.
hmm - so maybe when falling water hits this layer it adds a halo of one node thickness of vapour and mist at the connecting point but the water does not spread beyond that nor does it penetrate the thick air layer. A falling or flying player is slowed down in this area and can activly swim on it or if he decides to, dive through it with some effort. There should be no fall damage on hitting the layer.

I wonder some more ...
could this be the region where that special air is found to craft the airsword?

duane

by duane » Post

twoelk wrote:so technically similar to water but without all the fluid flowing cpu crunching stuff - just a static layer of another kind of air.
Heh. I'm not sure if you're being partially serious or completely whimsical. The cpu load shouldn't be any more than an ocean would cause. It's just a bunch of source nodes sitting still. There's a layer of unfloodable air at the bottom of the first chunk in the floaters section. I haven't noticed any problems.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

when in doubt consider anything I write here as nonsense ;-P
Duane wrote:There's a layer of unfloodable air at the bottom of the first chunk in the floaters section.

oops, never whent there

seems I need to explore more thoroughly

duane

by duane » Post

I'm not happy with the vines connecting the floaters, so I removed them and put in a bunch of random teleport nodes. Right-click them to teleport to another area, but keep in mind that there's no return trip.

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

duane wrote:I'm not happy with the vines connecting the floaters, so I removed them and put in a bunch of random teleport nodes. Right-click them to teleport to another area, but keep in mind that there's no return trip.
Bridge building time! :D
*accidentaly falls off the bridge*
Now where can I find my bones? hm...
ps: Great mod! The random teleporting sounds fun.

duane

by duane » Post

ShallowDweller wrote:Bridge building time! :D
The worst part is, before I added the water, you just kept falling until you got tired and logged out.

------------------------------------------------

I've added ponds to the mountains in dflats. Valleys already has rivers, and floaters isn't really suited to them.
Spoiler

Attachments
screenshot_20190727_001224.jpg
screenshot_20190727_001224.jpg (317.16 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
screenshot_20190726_232054.jpg
screenshot_20190726_232054.jpg (413.48 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

dflats is really nice. The default mapgen fails at giving flat areas. The valleys are nice, but IRL, valleys are typically "flooded" with soil like in your mod. I like it!

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

duane wrote:
ShallowDweller wrote:Bridge building time! :D
The worst part is, before I added the water, you just kept falling until you got tired and logged out.
Woah! That sounds frustrating. Thanks for adding the water. :3

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

We need servers that host this mod. It's all about appreciation and variety.

duane

by duane » Post

Inocudom wrote:We need servers that host this mod. It's all about appreciation and variety.
It took me days to dig down to the flat caves, and I ran into this -- missing chunks from crashes earlier this week. It's the sort of thing you get when playing on a WiP mapgen. I'm still finding an occasional bug.

Attachments
screenshot_20190728_120342.jpg
screenshot_20190728_120342.jpg (198.58 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

duane

Genesis

by duane » Post

I've added the "/genesis" chat command, which requires "mapgen" privilege. This will completely clear and recreate a chunk, destroying what was there and replacing it with normal terrain. (In theory, it should be exactly the same as it was originally, but my decoration code isn't completely repeatable yet.)

I've used this command to fix some missing chunks in my current game, and completely replace generated chunks of cloudscape with planets. I haven't had any problems, but it's possible typing /genesis will destroy your game world.

duane

Geomoria

by duane » Post

I've added the geomorphs from geomoria at -310 meters altitude. I didn't bother with connections to the surface, since there are so many ways to do that now.
Spoiler
Attachments
screenshot_20190729_215053.jpg
screenshot_20190729_215053.jpg (156.27 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

duane

Realms Compatibility

by duane » Post

I've begun a new branch in which I'm largely rewriting the mapgen for compatibility with the spectacular Realms mod.

The new branch can be used with C mapgens, as long as you don't overwrite the surface. (Or maybe you want to. I won't say no.) However, I've noticed that mapgen v7 causes issues in floaters -- thin pockets of air appear at vertical chunk boundaries for some reason. (I suspect that old bugbear, overgeneration.) The only solution I've found is to use singlenode. /shrug

In order to get anything to generate, you must copy the realms.conf.example (the very same that realms uses) to realms.conf, and add a line for floaters. The parameters are exactly the same, with the optional addition of the offset, which compensates for the difference between land and sea level:

Code: Select all

tg_floaters | -33000 | 368 | -33000 | 33000 | 608 | 33000 | 400 | bm_default_biomes | biome_height_offset = 45
Note that none of realms' biomes will work. (I haven't tried any of the mapgens yet.) The compatibility is mostly one-way; the idea being that I can more easily share my mapgens with people using realms, not the other way around.

I might add biome compatibility at some point, but it's not a priority for me. Biomes in my mapgen are still nearly exact copies of the default game's biomes, with decorations placed in as close to the same manner the game places them as I can manage.

At this stage, only the floaters mapgen is in place, and its caves are bare, but you can see that it looks basically the same on the surface.
Spoiler
Edit: For anyone who is curious, the air gaps are being caused by a bug in mapgen v7, in the stable version of minetest. It overgenerates air into existing chunks. Turning ridges off in mgv7_spflags fixes the problem (but, of course, you have no ridges).

Since the problem occurs in new chunks, after the chunk below has been generated, there probably isn't anything I can do about it. When the new chunk is generated, my code has to assume that the information the game gives it is accurate.
Attachments
screenshot_20190803_222244.jpg
screenshot_20190803_222244.jpg (195.4 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

duane

by duane » Post

My realms support branch now has fairly complete support for that timeless classic, ethereal, mixed with other biomes. You can have half your world ethereal and the other half default, if you wish.
Spoiler
The biome function is bm_ethereal, like so:

Code: Select all

tg_dflat | -33000 | 200 | -33000 | 33000 | 600 | 33000 | 300 | bm_default_biomes | spawn | geographic_heat

tg_floaters | -33000 | 600 | -33000 | 33000 | 900 | 33000 | 630 | bm_ethereal | biome_height_offset = 45
Naturally, you have to have ethereal installed and selected.

Note that I've also converted most of dflat, including ponds above sea level. I still haven't gotten any caves converted, but on the plus side, it runs much faster without them. : )

duane

by duane » Post

I've managed to get the dungeon geomorphs to write at any vertical level specified in realms.conf. That may not sound like much, but it took days of hair-pulling coding to get right. The geomorphs were explicitly designed to stay within chunk boundaries, and they involve lots and lots of fiddling little bits that have to fit together perfectly.

Now, I need to get the selection to work across chunk boundaries, fix the few disabled shapes, add decorations, etc..
Spoiler
Attachments
screenshot_20190809_045539.jpg
screenshot_20190809_045539.jpg (253.03 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

This looks absolutely awesome! I hope to get time to look through it and experiment with it soon.

duane

by duane » Post

Kilarin wrote:This looks absolutely awesome! I hope to get time to look through it and experiment with it soon.
No hurry. I'm still working on it.

---------------------------------

I've added in the roads, ruins, and biome dusting (now compatible with ethereal's walkable leaves).
Spoiler
If you don't want them, you can specify no_roads, no_houses, and no_dust in the realm.conf.
Attachments
screenshot_20190810_063409.jpg
screenshot_20190810_063409.jpg (547.19 KiB) Viewed 1325 times