[Mod] Hexagonal [hexagonal] [POC]

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

[Mod] Hexagonal [hexagonal] [POC]

by GreenXenith » Post

Hexagonal

This is a proof-of-concept mod I made a while ago. It is already on the ContentDB and was tweeted about by @MinetestProject.
I figured others might be interested.

Don't use this if you value your frames.

This mod registers a few nodes from existing default nodes.
Nodes are meshes, so expect frame drops with larger quantities.

Inspired by a fake Minecraft render someone made:
Spoiler
What I made:
Mapgen not included.

Sauce: https://github.com/GreenXenith/hexagonal/
License: MIT
Depends on default just for example nodes. This can totally be changed.

It took me an hour to make the base concept, and maybe another hour or two to get the placement working properly.
No, I do not plan to expand on this.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

Re: [Mod] Hexagonal [hexagonal] [POC]

by CalebJ » Post

But ... most diamonds are not hexagonal! :D
+1, nice concept and mod!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Funny idea. We might start playing civilization. But I fear for my framerate.
A list of my mods can be found here.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

You should find a way to automatically remove adjacent faces so less faces are rendered.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

v-rob wrote:You should find a way to automatically remove adjacent faces so less faces are rendered.
GitHub link in OP, feel free to make a PR.
(I don't want to roll my own culling, thanks).

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Yay! Battle for Wesnoth in Minetest!
But srsly though, cool mod. Are the nodes actually hexagonal prisms, or are they just made to look like it?
What is SCP-055?

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Chem871 wrote:Are the nodes actually hexagonal prisms, or are they just made to look like it?
Because they are mapped to a square grid, they are not true hexagons.

Schnux
GitHub: Schnux2

by Schnux » Post

At first, this looks great!
I once had the same idea (I posted it here), but my implementation was much worse (every prism was an entity...). But there is one feature which I think would improve the "hexagonal" appearance of the mod: "hexagonal pixels".
What I mean with this is the following: It is possible to divide the upper and lower hexagon into lots of small triangles and UV-map each of those to a single pixel. Such a model would then look like it had "triangular pixels" instead of normal, squared pixels. Those "triangular pixels" can then be easily combined into small hexagons. An example: this texture (64*64 pixels, but models with different texture sizes are easy to make)
would then look in-game like this:
A better texture designer than me could probably make nice things out of those "triangle pixels" which fit better to the hexagonal shape than squared pixels, even proper tiling is possible. The only downside is that your framerate goes even lower. (I did not really test it, but those models contain a lot of faces.)
Of course could one also create such hexagonal shapes with simply much larger textures, but with this approach, it is way easier (one needs only six pixels per hexagon instead of thousands).
For my mod, I have already programmed a script (this one) that auto-generates such a model. As far as I see it, this script could be easily included into your mod, I just didn't want to make a PR because I didn't know whether you are even interested in such a feature. What do you think about it?
Attachments
screenshot1.png
screenshot1.png (20.7 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
hex_test_prism.png
hex_test_prism.png (6.66 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Schnux wrote:But there is one feature which I think would improve the "hexagonal" appearance of the mod: "hexagonal pixels".
What I mean with this is the following: It is possible to divide the upper and lower hexagon into lots of small triangles and UV-map each of those to a single pixel. Such a model would then look like it had "triangular pixels" instead of normal, squared pixels. Those "triangular pixels" can then be easily combined into small hexagons. An example: this texture (64*64 pixels, but models with different texture sizes are easy to make)
would then look in-game like this:
A better texture designer than me could probably make nice things out of those "triangle pixels" which fit better to the hexagonal shape than squared pixels, even proper tiling is possible.
The only downside is that your framerate goes even lower. (I did not really test it, but those models contain a lot of faces.)
This.
As far as I see it, this script could be easily included into your mod, I just didn't want to make a PR because I didn't know whether you are even interested in such a feature. What do you think about it?
The UV map needs to be compatible with regular node textures. A 16x16 texture needs to be able to be mapped to the hexagon, though it looks like the hexagons in your large texture are still 16x16 (stretched to 1:2) so that might not be terribly difficult to modify. I am not fond of the insane triangle count though.

I currently don't have plans to do anything with this mod (as noted in the first post), but if I implement backface culling, the high poly count might be usable.