[mod] Cinnabar and Mercury, a new liquid [mercury_element]

Red_King_Cyclops

[mod] Cinnabar and Mercury, a new liquid [mercury_element]

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

Mercury and Cinnabar

This mod adds a new ore called cinnabar that can be made into a new deadly liquid called mercury.

Underground, cinnabar ore can be found at the same rarity as mese. The ore has cinnabar crystals coming out of dolomite. Mining cinnabar ore drops one cinnabar gem. A cinnabar gem can be crushed into cinnabar powder (just put one gem in the crafting table to get 9 powders) or crafted into a cinnabar block (fill the crafting table with gems to get 1 block). Cinnabar powder can be crafted with an empty bucket to make a bucket full of cinnabar powder. Cook this bucket to get a bucket of mercury. Buckets work on mercury just like water and lava. Mercury is a very dangerous liquid -- it causes as much damage as lava and flows as fast as water. A cinnabar block can be crafted into stairs and slabs like usual. Two cinnabar slabs can be crafted into a chiseled cinnabar block, which has a dragon carved on it.

The color for cinnabar is #E34234 (R: 227, G: 66, B: 52) and the color for mercury is #DBCECA (R: 219, G: 206, B: 202).

Licence
The code is licensed as LGPL 2.1 and the media as CC-BY-SA 3.0. The following textures are modified textures taken from default and bucket (both mods were made by the Minetest development team):
  • mercury_element_bucket_cinnabar_powder.png
  • mercury_element_bucket_mercury.png
  • mercury_element_mercury.png
  • mercury_element_mercury_flowing_animated.png
  • mercury_element_mercury_source_animated.png
Dependencies
bucket
stairs

Repository
https://git.minetest.land/Red_King_Cycl ... ry_element

Download
https://git.minetest.land/Red_King_Cycl ... master.zip
Spoiler
ImageCinnabar oreImageRecreation of the sarcophagus at Palanque, a Mayan ruin. You can see the cinnabar glowing, but mese blocks have been added to achieve that effect.
ImageA bit of a closer look at the skeleton and the cinnabar.
ImageA mercury fountain based off of the one in Barcelona.
Last edited by Red_King_Cyclops on Mon Aug 05, 2019 16:08, edited 4 times in total.
Currently working on new mods.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

Re: [mod] Cinnabar and Mercury, a new liquid [mercury_elemen

by CalebJ » Post

Interesting mod ... interesting. Mercury needs to have some uses though, before this mod can become useful for servers. I've already thought about making a mercury mod for my server a few months ago, but ... I didn't know what use it would have :D The mod is good, +1

Red_King_Cyclops

CalebJ wrote:Interesting mod ... interesting. Mercury needs to have some uses though, before this mod can become useful for servers. I've already thought about making a mercury mod for my server a few months ago, but ... I didn't know what use it would have :D The mod is good, +1
Thanks. At the moment the only use mercury has is for combat, but I thought of a few ideas:
  • Mercury being able to conduct mesecon signals
  • A special mercury item that uses a magnet to shape its mercury into various tools
  • Amalgams (I don't know what they would be used for, though)

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

Alchemists believed that mercury could be transmuted into any other metal by adding other chemicals.

I don't think I'd buy having it do that much damage though. People used to handle it all the time.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Wikipedia is usually a good source of inspiration: fluorescent lamps, explosives, batteries, gold mining...

puzzlecube
GitHub: puzzlecube
IRC: puzzlecube
In-game: puzzlecube KluppingOnion

by puzzlecube » Post

Ooh cool! I would love to see some technic integration for this or at least have an optional ability to replace the craft grid recipe for the powder with a grinder recipe when technic is enabled.
Would you believe this came from an autistic guy with low vision? Believe it.
Check this out![url]https:github.com/puzzlecube[/url]
I also make models for 3d printing!

Red_King_Cyclops

duane wrote:Alchemists believed that mercury could be transmuted into any other metal by adding other chemicals.

I don't think I'd buy having it do that much damage though. People used to handle it all the time.
Turning mercury into other metals could be interesting, but the player could just mine for the other metals. Also, mercury is extremely hazardous, at least according to the US government.
Astrobe wrote:Wikipedia is usually a good source of inspiration: fluorescent lamps, explosives, batteries, gold mining...
Wikipedia does have a good list of mercury uses. Fluorescent lamps could be cool. Mercury explosives could be an alternative to gunpowder explosives. Mercury used to be used for making batteries, but other materials are now used. Using mercury for gold mining could be interesting, but the player could just directly mine the gold. Perhaps there could be a new kind of gold ore that would be found in gravel that would have to be mined by mercury.
puzzlecube wrote:Ooh cool! I would love to see some technic integration for this or at least have an optional ability to replace the craft grid recipe for the powder with a grinder recipe when technic is enabled.
I haven't used technic yet, but adding another recipe does not sound difficult.

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Duane is right. People used to handle mercury. They used to take it internally as a treatment for "nervousness". Abraham Lincoln's infamous blue pills were almost certainly mercury-based. Thomas Jefferson took mercury for depression. "Mad as a hatter" comes from the fact that felt was treated with mercury in order to make hats from it. Those who made these hats had long-term chronic mercury poisoning. Homestake Mine used mercury to float stone from crushed low-grade gold ore, and some stuck to stone that went into tailings piles. Rain would wash mercury metal into local streams. Kids of just one generation before me would go to the deeper spots in those streams and scoop out mason jars of the stuff to sell back to Homestake.

The reason it's a no-no now is that it is persistent (not easily eliminated from the body) and chronic exposure (usually either mercury salts or methylmercury, not mercury metal) leads to mercury poisoning. Acute poisoning is mostly from breathing the vapors or ingesting the salts. But as damaging as lava? Not even remotely. Not that the in-game material has to have any relation to the real world material.

I'm with CalebJ. I can't think what I'd use it for. Particularly if it's fast-moving lava.