[mod] Space Shuttles [rocket]

Red_King_Cyclops

[mod] Space Shuttles [rocket]

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

rocket

Minetest has many great space mods that add in outer space thousands of blocks above the player's world, such as space and other_worlds. However, none of them have a good way to reach outer space-- until now. With this mod, you can craft rockets / space shuttles and fly them into and in outer space. https://git.minetest.land/Red_King_Cyclops/rocket/archive/master.zip Image
Image from: https://ibb.co/DRQ2hRp
Image from: https://ibb.co/Rpd1NFB
Image from: https://ibb.co/10kX3G1
Image from: https://ibb.co/vdQpRrk
Image from: https://ibb.co/QM5jy6Y Note: these screenshots are outdated.
Image Underground, you can find oil as an ore (it is as rare as diamond). Right click an oil block with a bucket to pick it up. Cook an oil bucket in a furnace to get a rocket fuel bucket.
Image Controls overview

Vertical mode
  • A -- yaw left
  • D -- yaw right
  • W -- go forwards
  • S -- go backwards
  • Space -- move/accelerate upwards
  • Space+Shift -- enable cruise mode
  • Shift -- disable cruise mode
  • A+D -- switch to horizontal mode
Horizontal mode
  • A -- yaw left
  • D -- yaw right
  • W -- move/accelerate forwards
  • S -- brake
  • Space -- go upwards
  • Shift -- go downwards
  • W+S -- enable cruise mode
  • S -- disable cruise mode
  • A+D -- switch to vertical mode
Controls explained

The space shuttle has two modes: vertical mode and horizontal mode. In vertical mode, the rocket is upright, and in horizontal mode it is sideways. Vertical mode is used for lift off and for landing, whereas horizontal mode is used for moving and docking in outer space.

Place a Space Shuttle item down to place a space shuttle vehicle. A space shuttle will be placed in vertical mode. Right click on the space shuttle to enter/exit.

The space shuttle has a life support system (provides you with oxygen), so you will be able to breath in the rocket in space or an unbreathable atmosphere.

I strongly recommend that you always use 3rd person mode when riding a rocket. Also, if you crash into something at a high velocity, then your rocket explodes.

Vertical mode
You can move horizontally in vertical mode. Use A to yaw (turn) left, D to yaw right, W to go forwards in the direction you have yawed, and S to go backwards in that direction. These horizontal controls are not fast and exist mainly to make small adjustments in position; the main focus of vertical mode is moving or falling vertically.

Hold space to move/accelerate upwards. At first, you will only move slightly up, but if you hold long enough then you will travel at exhilerating speeds. If you need to go down or slow down, let go of space. In vertical mode, rockets are affected by gravity, so whenever they stop going up, they go down. If you let go of space after holding it for a while, it will seem like you are still flying upwards. However, you are actually just coasting and your velocity is decelerating. The rocket will decelerate until it stops going and starts going down. You go down slow at first but you go faster and faster until you reach terminal velocity. To stop falling, hold space for a while. Although it may seem like you are still falling, you are actually slowing your descent. You will be able to slow your descent to the point that you are no longer falling and you are ascending again. If you use the space button wisely, you can rise or fall at whatever speed you choose. For example, you can use your rocket like a lunar lander if you thrust a little bit while you fall.

Press space and shift at the same time to enable vertical cruise mode, and press shift by itself to disable it. Cruise mode automatically maintains your vertical velocity, rising or falling.

Press A and D at the same time to switch to horizontal mode. You have to slow down the rocket to switch modes. After pressing A and D, right click once. If your head sticks out of the horizontal rocket, right click again twice very quickly to fix the glitch.

Horizontal mode
Unlike vertical mode, where the focus is on vertical movement, horizontal mode is focused on movement in all directions, but mainly forwards. Also unlike vertical mode, which is affected by gravity, horizontal mode is gravity free, since it is designed to work in space.

Use A to yaw (turn) left, D to yaw right, W to move/accelerate forwards in the direction you have yawed, and S to brake. Hold W for a while to accelerate your forwards velocity, and S to slow down. S cannot be used to go backwards; instead, turn the rocket around and go forwards in the new direction.

Press W and S at the same time to enable horizontal cruise mode, and press S by itself to disable it. Horizontal cruise mode works just like the cruise mode in the airboat mod.

Press space to go up and shift to go down. You cannot travel vertically nearly as fast as vertical mode, but horizontal mode is still useful for vertical movement.

Press A and D at the same time to switch to vertical mode. You have to slow down the rocket to switch modes. After pressing A and D, right click once. To avoid any potential glitches, right click again twice very quickly. Be prepared to be affected by gravity again after you right click the first time. Inspirations
  • Kerbal Space Program (video game)
  • Galacticraft (Minecraft mod)
To do
  • Make rockets run on fuel
  • Make rockets be able to collide, crash, and explode
  • Make rockets have life support systems
  • Make rockets create noise
  • Fix the collision box for horizontal mode
  • Fix the rocket model so the texture properly displays.
  • Add screenshots to this post
  • Add more information to the readme and this post
  • Localize rocket sounds.
  • Improve rocket explosions so that they do not destroy protected nodes.
  • Prevent the sound stop from crashing the server.
  • Make rockets emit light
  • Fix rover
  • Make rover craftable
Dependencies
  • bucket
  • stairs
  • tnt
  • fire
Optional Dependencies Licensing and Credit
The code is licensed as MIT and the media as CC-BY-SA-3.0, except for “old_rocket.png”, which is licensed as CC-BY-SA-4.0, and “rocket.png”, “rover.png”, “rocket.obj”, “rover.obj”, and “sideways_rocket.obj”, which are all licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA. This mod and two models were made by Red_King_Cyclops, but several textures and much of code was made by other users. Almost all of the code is modified code from Paramat’s airboat mod. The texture “old_rocket.png” is actually “submarine.png” renamed, taken from the submarines modpack by krokoschlange. The textures “rocket.png” and “rover.png” are from Melkor. Additionally, the textures “rocket_boom.png” and “rocket_smoke.png” are renamed textures taken from tnt and “rocket_hull.png” is a renamed texture taken from default. The oil textures and oil liquid registration code are taken from lib_materials by ShadMOrdre, except for the oil bucket texture, which is a modified water bucket texture from bucket. The rocket fuel textures (including the rocket fuel bucket texture) are modified water textures from default and bucket. The rest of the textures were made by me. The thrust sound is actually a renamed “fire_fire.3.ogg” taken from fire. The models “rocket.obj”, “rover.obj”, and “sideways_rocket.obj” are from Melkor directly or modified. The models “old_rocket.obj” and “old_sideways_rocket.obj” were made by me.

For more information on Melkor’s models and textures, please go here. https://git.minetest.land/Red_King_Cyclops/rocket Note: the rover is not working just yet, so ignore it.
Last edited by Red_King_Cyclops on Fri Oct 09, 2020 01:03, edited 26 times in total.
Currently working on new mods.

Red_King_Cyclops

Re: [mod] Space Shuttles [rocket]

8/19/2019
Rockets can now crash / crash land, so be careful. Make sure to land slowly and not hit any asteriods when in vertical mode and make sure nothing is even close when speeding in horizontal mode. TNT and vacuum are now dependencies, but I might make vacuum an optional dependency at some point. Also, the horizontal rocket collision box has been fixed.

Space shuttles now have life support systems.

8/20/2019
Vacuum is now an optional dependency.

8/21/2019
  • New liquids (oil and rocket fuel)
  • Better explosion code
  • A new recipe and two updated ones
Spoiler
ImageImage
8/22/2019
  • Some bug fixes
  • Rockets now have a thrust sound
  • Now you have to slow down the rocket to change modes
8/23/2019
Rockets now produce particles even if they have no drivers. The point of this update is to allow for better screenshots.

8/25/2019
Oil and rocket fuel are now nonrenewable.

9/5/2019
Rocket fuel can now be used as a furnace fuel.

9/18/2020
New models, new textures, and some changes to the code.
Last edited by Red_King_Cyclops on Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph16
In-game: smb3

by Joseph16 » Post

cool mod, but it really needs texturing.
Testin' mines since 1989

Red_King_Cyclops

Joseph16 wrote:cool mod, but it really needs texturing.
Thanks. I'm not sure why the texture is broken, but I think it's because I used a certain file type for the rocket 3d model.

Edit: the textures have been fixed.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Could you localize the sound instead of playing it to all players in a server?

Also to make it a bit better with protection can you have the boom/explosion happen at the node right Before the impact instead of the direct impact node? It replaces a node with the explosion, even if its protected.

Nice simple rocket though! I like it.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I was able to generate a server/game crash too by being in a rocket, restarting the server, then rejoining. However it worked after the initial crash/error.

Code: Select all

2019-09-29 20:32:28: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'rocket' in callback luaentity_Step(): /usr/share/games/minetest/mods/lib_items/rocket/init.lua:379: bad argument #1 to 'sound_stop' (number expected, got nil)
2019-09-29 20:32:28: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-09-29 20:32:28: ERROR[Main]:       [C]: in function 'sound_stop'
2019-09-29 20:32:28: ERROR[Main]:       /usr/share/games/minetest/mods/lib_items/rocket/init.lua:379: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/mods/lib_items/rocket/init.lua:137>
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Red_King_Cyclops

FreeGamers wrote:Could you localize the sound instead of playing it to all players in a server?

Also to make it a bit better with protection can you have the boom/explosion happen at the node right Before the impact instead of the direct impact node? It replaces a node with the explosion, even if its protected.

Nice simple rocket though! I like it.
I'll look into these problems and fix them.

Edit: I localized sound and fixed the explosion glitch. I haven't fixed the server crash error yet, but I know another way that it happens in game: If the explosion of one rocket causes another rocket that is unoccupied to fall, then the latter rocket will attempt to explode and stop the sound, and the attempt to stop sound will crash the game.

qawsedrftgzh
GitHub: qawsedrftgzh

by qawsedrftgzh » Post

Cool, but has many bugs (fast speed and aand d pressing) ang laggs a bit
My English is not so good, because I am german

babah

by babah » Post

your rocket mod is very unstable check and rewrite all code!!! i am russian and i wont giveup

Red_King_Cyclops

qawsedrftgzh wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 13:52
Cool, but has many bugs (fast speed and aand d pressing) ang laggs a bit
The extremely fast speed of the rocket was intentional. As for d pressing, I don't seem to be running into any problems. Pressing A+D changes rocket modes.

Red_King_Cyclops

babah wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:56
your rocket mod is very unstable check and rewrite all code!!! i am russian and i wont giveup
I don't disagree. Most of the code for this mod was borrowed from a mod called "airboat" and heavily modified, and as a result the programming is confusing. Additionally, the rocket physics I have added are sometimes broken. However, I'm not very familiar with making vehicle mods, so I can't give up what code I have so easily.

babah

Re: [mod] Space Shuttles-- new update [rocket]

by babah » Post

thanks but rockets working sh*tty game crashed when i crashed the rocket and rover model is a ass

babah

by babah » Post

my advice to author of the mod: stop making levels about space and time, please make ,mod about portal 2 with gelcannon and gels(i dont know is it possible) and must be portal gun and turrets

Red_King_Cyclops

babah wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 16:53
my advice to author of the mod: stop making levels about space and time, please make ,mod about portal 2 with gelcannon and gels(i dont know is it possible) and must be portal gun and turrets
You might be interested in this Portal gun mod: viewtopic.php?t=12772

Also, the rover isn't functional right now, so it can be ignored.

babah

by babah » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 17:09
babah wrote:

portal gun has no gels but im not modder and i guess gels can be realized like snow and paintgun also can be realised

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

the link is broken
Last edited by Jackknife on Sat Oct 03, 2020 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Red_King_Cyclops

babah wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 13:13
Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 17:09
babah wrote:

portal gun has no gels but im not modder and i guess gels can be realized like snow and paintgun also can be realised
I might consider making a gels mod with the repulsion and propulsion gels.

Red_King_Cyclops

Jackknife wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 01:13
the link is broken
Thanks for making me aware of this problem. Apparently, "Mesehub," the website I was using to host the download for this mod, is down. I don't know when it will be back up. You can read about this situation here: viewtopic.php?t=25401&p=381233

Jackknife

Re: [mod] Space Shuttles-- download temporarily down [rocket]

by Jackknife » Post

The download link is working again.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

There’s a bug where you fly so high up in the rocket and it basically ejects out the player.

However the rocket keeps on flying straight up. None of them have come down yet! :)

Red_King_Cyclops

Jackknife wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 01:09
There’s a bug where you fly so high up in the rocket and it basically ejects out the player.

However the rocket keeps on flying straight up. None of them have come down yet! :)
How high up?

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 01:05
Jackknife wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 01:09

How high up?
Not quite sure, thousands of blocks or nodes high maybe

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

I've tested it out in Minetest 5.4 but it seems to not want to go down once leaving the shuttle.
Also noticed something else weird, the game seems to lag when falling from the rocket.
Perhaps that's just the game and not the mod?