[mod] Space Travel--go to Moon, Mars, etc. [space_travel]

Red_King_Cyclops

[mod] Space Travel--go to Moon, Mars, etc. [space_travel]

by Red_King_Cyclops » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:59

Space Travel

The Space Travel mod adds in a massive amount of new space content, including:
  • 20 new space dimensions, including several planets, moons, dwarf planets, exoplanets, one exomoon, and one asteriod belt
  • tens of new skyboxes
  • tens of new nodes
  • several new liquids
  • new ores not found on earth
  • a progression system
  • complete use of Minetest’s vertical space
  • space geysers such as volcanoes and cryovolcanoes
  • interplanetary and interstellar travel
  • day-night cycles on certain planets and moons

How to play
I just posted this mod, so I haven't had time to make a very detailed explanation of how to use this mod. At some point I am going to make a wiki.

TL;DR: Essentially, the player has to make “space drives”, which they can use in a rocket orbiting a planet or moon to travel to other planets and moons.

First, make a rocket (from the rocket mod, see instructions here) and something (such as a spacesuit) to keep you alive in a vacuum (from the vacuum mod, see instructions here). Second, make a space drive, a type of tool from this mod that allows you travel between space dimensions. Using minerals from newly discovered planets and moons, you can craft increasingly powerful space drives that can take you to more places. You can use a crafting guide to help you make these space drives. Third, fly your rocket into outer space (on Earth, the atmosphere ends at Y=1000), but avoid crashing into meteoroids. Fourth, left click with your space drive inside the rocket and select a location, teleporting you there. Fifth, carefully descend onto the surface. Lastly, repeat steps 3 through 5 to return home.

Screenshots
+ Screenshots (warning: spoilers)

Dependencies
Hard
Recommended
I understand that these are a lot of dependencies, but I have depended on them for main space features that I did not want to reinvent. In a way, these mods are part of the Space Travel experience.

Download

Source

+ Licensing and credit

Note: this mod is a work-in-progress, so expect bugs. Not all features have been added in yet (such as terraforming).

See also
  • titan_moon -- A mod that changes Earth into Titan. Titan in this mod is larger and more colourful than the version in space_travel, but it doesn't have ores, cryovolcanoes, unbreathable atmosphere, or a day-night cycle.
  • marssurvive -- A mod that changes Earth into Mars. This mod created some textures that were borrowed in space_travel. Marssurvive is a somewhat broken now, but it is still the main Mars mod.
  • cratermg -- A Mars mod that has technic ores and craters. It is an alternative to Marssurvive, which was its inspiration.
  • moonrealm -- A mod that changes Earth into the Moon. It is old (from 2013), but it is still playable.
Last edited by Red_King_Cyclops on Mon Nov 04, 2019 17:11, edited 10 times in total.
My best mods: space_travel, time_travel, and rocket.

BuckarooBanzay

GitHub: thomasrudin-mt
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

FreeGamers

GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: [mod] Space Travel--go to Moon, Mars, etc. [space_travel

by FreeGamers » Tue Oct 08, 2019 21:47

Its really nice to see this as a bundled mod. I use a handful of these in my server that have been added over the last couple months and they are just awesome. I'll have to give this version a try.

I've been using BuckarooBanzy's planet_moon and planet_mars in my server and doubled the height of mars. Then I sprinkled other_worlds asteroids above each planet. Also used vacuum, spacesuit, and the new space shuttle mod. I added meseportal teleporters onto the planets so players could get there initially to bypass the bedrock floors.

I was going to initally use jumpdrive, but when I realized jumpdrive needed the block to be generated, It defeated its usefulness for me. Plus, I didn't want to rely on technic in my server. I know PB uses some sort of scheduled map generating tricks to get around this. But that is a bit beyond what I understand of MT currently.

Anyways, the space race in Minetest is extremely awesome. I love any additional space content that comes out as most people included myself just find it incredibly cool.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:28

BuckarooBanzay wrote:Looks nice, i'm still confused why this is needed:
https://git.minetest.land/Red_King_Cycl ... um.lua#L34

This should be caught here:
https://github.com/thomasrudin-mt/vacuu ... en.lua#L33

:/

Overriding the is_pos_in_space function prevented vacuum from spreading, but did not cause air to generate instead of vacuum, so I included an on_generated function to be sure.

FreeGamers wrote:Its really nice to see this as a bundled mod. I use a handful of these in my server that have been added over the last couple months and they are just awesome. I'll have to give this version a try.

I've been using BuckarooBanzy's planet_moon and planet_mars in my server and doubled the height of mars. Then I sprinkled other_worlds asteroids above each planet. Also used vacuum, spacesuit, and the new space shuttle mod. I added meseportal teleporters onto the planets so players could get there initially to bypass the bedrock floors.

I was going to initally use jumpdrive, but when I realized jumpdrive needed the block to be generated, It defeated its usefulness for me. Plus, I didn't want to rely on technic in my server. I know PB uses some sort of scheduled map generating tricks to get around this. But that is a bit beyond what I understand of MT currently.

Anyways, the space race in Minetest is extremely awesome. I love any additional space content that comes out as most people included myself just find it incredibly cool.

Thanks, I meant for this mod to include elements of several other mods (e.g. their textures) while including new planets and moons beyond just Moon and Mars. This mod isn't exactly a bundle, since a lot of main features such as space shuttles come from dependencies and recommended mods, but it does include features from other mods such as space rocks and space skyboxes.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Wed Oct 09, 2019 22:49

The image hosting site I typically use isn't working for me right now, so it might be a while before I post screenshots on the original post. For now, here are a few screenshots.

Edit: I've added some screenshots to the main post.
Attachments
venus_volcano.png
A volcano on Venus
(637.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mars.png
As seen from Mars
(682.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
the_moon.png
As seen from the moon
(750.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Chem871

GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Dwaba_Kukai

by Chem871 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 19:20

I find it interesting that you've named two of your planets after Roman deities. I like it :)
What is SCP-055 again? I forgot.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Sat Nov 02, 2019 16:31

I'm thinking of getting back to this mod and adding in terraforming.

Chem871 wrote:I find it interesting that you've named two of your planets after Roman deities. I like it :)

Thanks. Another one exoplanet is named after an Egyptian god, and the other two are Greek.

Melkor

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Sat Nov 16, 2019 20:49

Melkor wrote:Image

That looks cool. A rover/moon-buggy would make for a good update.

Melkor

FreeGamers

GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Melkor

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:19

Melkor wrote:wanna a rocket too?

Sure. It would probably be an improvement over the current rocket model in my mod.

Melkor

by Melkor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 20:32

Sorry for the delay, I was busy with another project i'm working on now
here is the rocket :
let me know if you like it, if you dont, i can fix it somehow
Attachments
rocket_view.png
(28.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Melkor

by Melkor » Tue Dec 03, 2019 17:37

Sorry i forgot to add the download link for both models, here is it.
Happy Modding!
Attachments
rover.7z
(183.05 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
rocket.7z
(163.78 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

jeremyericson

GitHub: CodingPsych
IRC: alepfwxz
In-game: 6789alepfwxz

by jeremyericson » Fri Dec 06, 2019 23:34

Ok so I got the mod but it isn't there like i filled all dependencies and made a new world and joined and the dimensions tool does not have any of those planets I flew my rocket up to y1000 and used it and it didn't work and also there was no vacuum up there. please help

Return to WIP Mods