[mod] Sailing Kit [sailing_kit]

T6C
In-game: T6C

Re: [mod] Sailing Kit [sailing_kit]

by T6C » Post

Is there an anchor in this mod? I ask, because I put my brand-new boat in the water, walked away for a few minutes to get some supplies, and when I came back to get my sea legs, my boat had floated away! LOL It was a good 50 nodes out to sea already, and I'd never been on it yet.

Termos

by Termos » Post

JordanL2 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 09:34
for some reason I can't see my player character in the boat. Any reason that might be?
That's normal in 1st person view, try switching to 3rd (hit 'C')
T6C wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 00:54
Is there an anchor in this mod? I ask, because I put my brand-new boat in the water, walked away for a few minutes to get some supplies, and when I came back to get my sea legs, my boat had floated away!
That's weird, the boat is deployed with the sail lowered, so it isn't affected by wind and there's nothing in vanilla MT to make it move.
Maybe you got other mods active that push objects around.

apercy
GitHub: APercy
In-game: APercy

by apercy » Post

T6C wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 00:54
Is there an anchor in this mod? I ask, because I put my brand-new boat in the water, walked away for a few minutes to get some supplies, and when I came back to get my sea legs, my boat had floated away! LOL It was a good 50 nodes out to sea already, and I'd never been on it yet.
The fix to this behavior is simply, you just have to add a line before the acceleration: self.object:set_pos(self.object:get_pos())

and for the camera, you can attach another entity at player desired position and then attach the player to this new intermediary entity. So the camera will move around these new central axis. Like I did here: https://github.com/APercy/helicopter

T6C

by T6C » Post

I think my boat is possessed. LOL I went for another sail this afternoon to find my boat missing. I figured it had just floated out to sea again. Then, I happened to look up—straight up—and saw this...

I cheated by flying up to it, and I noticed that it's still slowly rising, and I am unable to break it, even with an axe. I'm basically writing this boat off as a loss (it's relatively easy to build another), but is this boat just going to keep rising until it hits the ceiling of the world? Will this crash the server? How do I prevent future boats from doing this?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-12-09 17-30-54.png
Screenshot from 2021-12-09 17-30-54.png (201.99 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

Termos

by Termos » Post

apercy wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:40
you can attach another entity at player desired position and then attach the player to this new intermediary entity.
This trick used to break attachments, at least before 5.4, guess it's fixed now.
T6C wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 22:42
I noticed that it's still slowly rising, and I am unable to break it, even with an axe.
I'm aware it happens sometimes, probably an engine issue.
At one point it has been changed that objects never send updates if their state doesn't change, so if client and server have different opinions about object's velocity just before it goes stationary serverside, and probably there's some packet loss, then clientside the object appears to be moving.
If you log out and back in the object should be at the original position again.

T6C

by T6C » Post

Termos wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 09:56
If you log out and back in the object should be at the original position again.
Yep. I just logged in again, and the boat was back at its place on the dock. I've hired an NPC priest to exorcise it while I'm logged off... XD

surfyeti

by surfyeti » Post

hello,

love ur mod. had a similar idea and looked up sailing (that's how i found it).

how much effort is it to play it on mineclone 2?
do i need to change the default dependency to some mcl core mod?

thx

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

greetings, i've returned to this thread just to say how much fun this mod is, soooo good, but i have a few questions.

how do the sailing/wind physics work on the worlds? are there wind shadows? gusts? is it something which can be programmed? does weather affect the wind? i would think when a storm comes up the in world winds should increase.

now i know this has nothing to do with this mod, per se, just curious how the MT engine world elements physics work. i have a windsock on one server, and it's all over the place, blowing from one direction and then another and then calm, etc.

i wish there was a debug menu type feature which monitors wind, and then maybe that info could be piped to the sailing kit mod and displayed as a HUD of some sort? or some kind of tell?

in a previous message in this thread, a small flag atop the mast was mentioned. some way to know the direction and intensity of the wind would be nice, because irl, i can easily feel, and even see the wind, on the water, and the gusts, or flags, etc. but on this mod, just a total guess, and when i think the wind is coming from a certain direction, and i tack, it seems off. irl i have no problem sailing or knowing how much to sheet in or out or where to point the tiller, but i still struggle with this mod, although it's a total blast, i just want to understand it more.

finally, there are only 3 servers i know of which have this mod, your land, but there are no oceans, just lakes and none are that big, by the time u get going u crash into land. tunneler's abyss, with the best mapgen of any server, by far, huge oceans and continents and islands and archipelagoes, the ideal server for this mod, however, for me it's often just 1 bar and the lag is way too much to enjoy sailing, and mercurio, which, i don't know if it has any large bodies of water, and oceans, but most likely not. if anyone knows of other servers with this mod, i would love to know, as sailing with a friend is much more fun than alone, plus the mapgens always make crappy small lakes, unless there's a mapgen setting i can tweak to make it like 70% water, i'm sure there is but i don't know it.
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain