[mod] Sailing Kit [sailing_kit]

Termos

[mod] Sailing Kit [sailing_kit]

by Termos » Post

Sailing Kit

This is my take on sailing, it requires mobkit to work, also it depends on default because recipes n' all.

features:
  • physics, simplified but should work in the proper direction for the most part.
    indirect control - instead of controlling the boat directly, you control the sail and the rudder which exert forces on the hull.
controls:
  • left/right: rudder left/right
    space: raise/lower the sail
    up/down:
    • sail raised: loosen/tighten the sheet
      sail lowered: row forward/backwards
recipes:
wind:
  • very basic implementation, constant 10 m/s, direction changes slightly every 1 to 5 minutes.
    there's no dedicated wind indicator, just observe the sail and the boat.

License: code: MIT | media: CC-BY-SA
MT version: 0.5.0 or later
Depends: mobkit, default
Download: github
Attachments
sailboat_craft.jpg
sailboat_craft.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
sailingkit01bar.jpg
sailingkit01bar.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Last edited by Termos on Sun Jan 10, 2021 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

runs

Re: [mod] Sailing Kit [sailing_kit][wip]

by runs » Post

Great! :-)

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Very cool, but immensely hard to control. Rowing is really slow, so when you crash into a cliff/beach, you aren't getting out of it any time soon. Turning is also really slow. But when you get sailing, it's really fun (until you inevitably crash or nearly do).
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Termos

by Termos » Post

v-rob wrote:Very cool, but immensely hard to control.
Actually i was afraid it was too easy. There's definitely a learning curve, but after some practice I'm not bumping into terrain anymore and can navigate narrow straits most of the time.

The goal is to keep it only as difficult for it to be viable to hold online races, so different players come to the finish line in significantly different time. I'll be tweaking it according to user input.

I'm also adding capsizing as an option, because the prospect of falling in water when sharks are about is just too much fun.
v-rob wrote:Rowing is really slow, so when you crash into a cliff/beach, you aren't getting out of it any time soon. Turning is also really slow.
The purpose of rowing is to reposition the boat to the wind should it find itself in the dead zone, so velocity is probably close to optimal, but turn rate is too slow when it's slow and too fast when it's fast, so it looks like I won't get away with the linear function, I need something more curvy, the patch is on the way.

Termos

by Termos » Post

Update 191020

changes:
  • * adjusted turn rate to be nonlinear.
    rowing should now be faster, tacking should be easier.

* easier sail control
    when pulling on the sheet you don't get to wait for excess rope length, you pull the sail immediately.

* added heaving and pitching
    now it rocks!

runs

by runs » Post

When I put a ship, no sail and the cabin is flooded. But I can navigate.

Termos

by Termos » Post

runs wrote:When I put a ship, no sail and the cabin is flooded. But I can navigate.
Boat spawns with the sail lowered, just get in and raise the sail by pressing space.
Please let me now if it worked - there are also bugs in the engine related to attachments.

If the cabin is flooded, you've probably changed buoyancy to something around 0.8 by the looks of it. The original value is 0.45, but anything below 0.55 should more or less work. If you really want it submerged that deep, then the hull needs to be redesigned.
... or maybe you're using modified mobkit - the api isn't intended to be modified,

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Oh wow, this looks really cool!
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Termos

by Termos » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Oh wow, this looks really cool!
Thanks!
Actually I just had a simple but cool idea, an update's coming soon.

Termos

by Termos » Post

Update 191022
  • When racing, some way of telling apart the participants is needed.

Just smash the boat with some dye to color the sail.

Imk
In-game: Imk

by Imk » Post

how do you put the boat in the inventory?

Termos

by Termos » Post

Imk wrote:how do you put the boat in the inventory?
You can't, once the boat is deployed it won't fit back into your pocket.
But it looks like I forgot about a way of getting rid of it, so

Update 191026
  • Hit the boat a few times with something harder than hand to destroy it and reclaim some material.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Thank you for this awesome mod! The boat is pretty good steerable if you get the hang of it... :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Termos

by Termos » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:Thank you for this awesome mod! The boat is pretty good steerable if you get the hang of it... :)
Thanks,
although it's best used with mapgens that generate sizable bodies of water, because the boat though small can be as fast as a grown up yacht and easily makes over 16 knots, that can be a bit too fast for small inland lakes.

Imk
In-game: Imk

by Imk » Post

Thank you, were taken to us viewtopic.php?p=360393#p360393

Termos

by Termos » Post

Update 191116

changes:
  • fixed turn rate
    previously due to certain operations on dtime turn rate on some servers could be slower than intended, now it should be consistent regardless of server performance.

fixed undeclared global variable warning
This update requires latest mobkit as well

Termos

by Termos » Post

Update 210110

changes:
  • Fix possible crash related to first level attachments detaching spontaneously (MT 5.3)

ksandr
GitHub: ksandronline
In-game: ksandr

Re: [mod] Sailing Kit [sailing_kit]

by ksandr » Post

Hello Termos. Very cool mod. Im have question: how do rudder more fast? Im have problem when turn.
rudder work with more jitter.

Termos

by Termos » Post

Hi,
The jitter is mosty caused by server lag so little can be done about it. In singleplayer this is mostly caused by map generation, so once you've mapped out the area you're sailing in things should improve.

Some tips as to turn rate, the boat is designed to handle similarly to a real boat, so you won't be able to turn on a dime. Turning is the result of water pressure on the rudder, so the slower you go the slower the turn, and you can't turn at all if stationary. Be sure to operate the sail so you get decent speed and plan your actions ahead.
If you find yourself in a tight spot lower the sail [space] - handling is different with the sail down and you can turn in place (think of it as you're using a paddle)

The boat is designed to be slightly challenging to operate, there's a bit of a learning curve, I'm sure you can get the hang of this if you give it time.

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

first of all thank you so much for this mod, it is amazing, and a lot of fun. i hope to sail in a race some day, but it's just loads of fun sailing around with this.

i haven't tried, but is it possible to do fishing while on the sailboat? i'm not sure the terminology, but, like stacking the mods? that would be neat, in my opinion, i would love a way to do some open water fishing.

i think it really feels like a sailboat, great job, but, i'm not sure how to control the sail other than space to put it up, is there a way to sheet in and sheet out for controlling power? the other day the boat was leaned over so much it would(should) have capsized.

also, one player on a server mentioned to check the flag on the top of the mast to see the wind direction, but i have never seen that. if it's not already a thing, and if it's not to hard to implement, that's a great idea.
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

Termos

by Termos » Post

chef trip wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 15:24
i'm not sure how to control the sail other than space to put it up, is there a way to sheet in and sheet out for controlling power?
Definitely, forward/W to sheet out, back/S to sheet in. Sail angle is limited to 90 degs for simplicity.
chef trip wrote:
one player on a server mentioned to check the flag on the top of the mast to see the wind direction, but i have never seen that. if it's not already a thing, and if it's not to hard to implement, that's a great idea.
The sail and the boat react to the wind, in my experience that's enough. Sheet out and the sail moves with the wind, or if it doesn't, that means it's already aligned with the wind (luffing?), so you'll have to manouver and sheet in accordingly, and probably do some tacking.
chef trip wrote:
is it possible to do fishing while on the sailboat? i'm not sure the terminology, but, like stacking the mods? that would be neat, in my opinion, i would love a way to do some open water fishing.
Depends on the fishing mod, but it should be possible, sailing kit only depends on default because of wood for the crafting recipe, otherwise it's dependency-less so it shouldn't interfere with other mods.

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

sweet! thanks for the reply, it is a great mod and a lot of fun to sail when it starts going fast! :-) <3
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

Termos

by Termos » Post

Glad you like it,
if you're interested, there's the Islands mapgen that makes sure you never run out of ocean to sail.

JordanL2

by JordanL2 » Post

Very nice mod, one thing though, for some reason I can't see my player character in the boat. Any reason that might be? I've tried without any skins mods, and with adding SkinsDB leaving the skin as default.

JordanL2

by JordanL2 » Post

Also, I can still see whatever is in my hand.

I have mobkit installed and enabled so I'm not missing any dependencies.