This is purely decorative atm
Example of generated names:

- Jayce Carpenter
- Samantha Collins
- Lincoln Harmon

If you discover any bugs please let me know

Browse code: https://github.com/Extex101/real_names/tree/master
Download: https://github.com/Extex101/real_names/archive/master.zip
License: Code: (MIT: Extex), ChatCommandBuilder (MIT: Rubenwardy)
Player of PK, RIP. Creator of the light_tool mod. Working on another mod which is pretty cool so far

Extex

GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

Re: [Mod] Realistic player names [real_names] [1.0.3]

by Extex » Mon Dec 09, 2019 19:20

I would really appreciate a review.

I would really like to know what you think.
Player of PK, RIP. Creator of the light_tool mod. Working on another mod which is pretty cool so far

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Mon Dec 09, 2019 23:14

From the top of my head:
  • There’s something outdated with the binary choice between boy and girl. It doesn’t necessarily reflect the setting of the server’s world build (who knows what genders exist therein). But if only sticking to the context of stock MTG, only one gender exists (the one people call Sam). Maybe just remove the choice altogether and offer to reroll name if desired?
  • The name list seem to feature ordinary US names. The community is international, so bring in names from around the world accordingly. The names have no theme to them but perhaps that’s intentional in order to fit most world build themes. But regardless of fantasy or scifi or else, who would want to name their hero “Samantha Collins”?
  • What happens on death? Should the player be offered to create a new persona?
  • Should the player tag be modified to (also?) display the “persona” name? Does it already perhaps?

Cheers

migdyn

GitHub: migdyn
In-game: migdyn

by migdyn » Tue Dec 10, 2019 01:32

texmex wrote:From the top of my head:
[*] The name list seem to feature ordinary US names. The community is international, so bring in names from around the world accordingly.

This would be tricky in some languages.
As far as I know in Ukrainian, Russian, Czechorepublican, Slovakian and a few more languages there a female endings - *ova. Example:
A man named Linyos Torovoltos has a wife named Dmitriva TorovoltosOVA.

In Polish it's even more complicated:
The wife's name could be either: *owa, *yna and *ina
The (unmarried) daughter's name would be *anka or *ówna
And the endings depend (mainly) on whether the last name ends with the letter 'a' or 'A'

This could be solved but it would require a much more complex code and I think other languages have other rules
"How can I get my Winmodem to work?"

Extex

GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Tue Dec 10, 2019 04:39

texmex wrote:
  • There’s something outdated with the binary choice between boy and girl. It doesn’t necessarily reflect the setting of the server’s world build (who knows what genders exist therein). But if only sticking to the context of stock MTG, only one gender exists (the one people call Sam). Maybe just remove the choice altogether and offer to reroll name if desired?

Maybe a "Re-roll firstname" and "Re-roll lastname"

Actually I like that better than current option

• The name list seem to feature ordinary US names. The community is international, so bring in names from around the world accordingly. The names have no theme to them but perhaps that’s intentional in order to fit most world build themes. But regardless of fantasy or scifi or else, who would want to name their hero “Samantha Collins”?

• Maybe have it as a setting. "Use fantasy and sci-fi names"
  • What happens on death? Should the player be offered to create a new persona?

• No I don't. But I could have it as an option
  • Should the player tag be modified to (also?) display the “persona” name? Does it already perhaps?

• Maybe have their nametag change to
    "<player> <realistic name>"

Return to WIP Mods