This is purely decorative atm
Example of generated names:

- Jayce Carpenter
- Samantha Collins
- Lincoln Harmon

If you discover any bugs please let me know

Browse code: https://github.com/Extex101/real_names/tree/master
Download: https://github.com/Extex101/real_names/ ... master.zip
License: Code: (MIT: Extex), ChatCommandBuilder (MIT: Rubenwardy)
Player of PK, RIP. Creator of the light_tool and motorbike mods. Working on another mod which should be coming soon!

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

Re: [Mod] Realistic player names [real_names] [1.0.3]

by Extex » Post

I would really appreciate a review.

I would really like to know what you think.
Player of PK, RIP. Creator of the light_tool and motorbike mods. Working on another mod which should be coming soon!

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

by texmex » Post

From the top of my head:
  • There’s something outdated with the binary choice between boy and girl. It doesn’t necessarily reflect the setting of the server’s world build (who knows what genders exist therein). But if only sticking to the context of stock MTG, only one gender exists (the one people call Sam). Maybe just remove the choice altogether and offer to reroll name if desired?
  • The name list seem to feature ordinary US names. The community is international, so bring in names from around the world accordingly. The names have no theme to them but perhaps that’s intentional in order to fit most world build themes. But regardless of fantasy or scifi or else, who would want to name their hero “Samantha Collins”?
  • What happens on death? Should the player be offered to create a new persona?
  • Should the player tag be modified to (also?) display the “persona” name? Does it already perhaps?
Cheers
Mods | Support Mesehub: bc1qluuests9rxmlnvpjrhsnyjg9ucwy6z3r0y3srw

migdyn

by migdyn » Post

texmex wrote:From the top of my head:
[*] The name list seem to feature ordinary US names. The community is international, so bring in names from around the world accordingly.
This would be tricky in some languages.
As far as I know in Ukrainian, Russian, Czechorepublican, Slovakian and a few more languages there a female endings - *ova. Example:
A man named Linyos Torovoltos has a wife named Dmitriva TorovoltosOVA.

In Polish it's even more complicated:
The wife's name could be either: *owa, *yna and *ina
The (unmarried) daughter's name would be *anka or *ówna
And the endings depend (mainly) on whether the last name ends with the letter 'a' or 'A'

This could be solved but it would require a much more complex code and I think other languages have other rules

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

texmex wrote:
  • There’s something outdated with the binary choice between boy and girl. It doesn’t necessarily reflect the setting of the server’s world build (who knows what genders exist therein). But if only sticking to the context of stock MTG, only one gender exists (the one people call Sam). Maybe just remove the choice altogether and offer to reroll name if desired?
Maybe a "Re-roll firstname" and "Re-roll lastname"

Actually I like that better than current option
[*] The name list seem to feature ordinary US names. The community is international, so bring in names from around the world accordingly. The names have no theme to them but perhaps that’s intentional in order to fit most world build themes. But regardless of fantasy or scifi or else, who would want to name their hero “Samantha Collins”?
Maybe have it as a setting. "Use fantasy and sci-fi names"
[*] What happens on death? Should the player be offered to create a new persona?
No I don't. But I could have it as an option
[*] Should the player tag be modified to (also?) display the “persona” name? Does it already perhaps?
Maybe have their nametag change to
"<player> <realistic name>"[/list]

Hamlet
GitHub: h4ml3t
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Perhaps you could allow to choose the generated names' 'style', that is: 'English', 'Spanish', 'Fantasy' etc.

That could be implemented with an "if (style == 'English') then" use only the names table provided for that style.

So if there are any corrections to be made (depending on the country's customs), they will affect only that style.

Some countries use masculine names as feminine: Andrea ("Andrew"), Luca ("Luke"), Anna ("Annas/Ananias") and Ariel are some examples; and some countries use two surnames: <Name> <Father's surname> <Mother's surname>, "Pedro Alvarez Gutierrez".

Given that each country has its own customs about names and surnames, splitting the code would allow easier editing/maintenance depending on the actual need: if no people from some country is using the mod, it does not make sense to code that country's names' rules - anyway you can always add them later.
GitLab ContentDB VanessaE's Basic-plus Server (-1122.0, 19.5, -2438.0)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Hamlet wrote:Some countries use masculine names as feminine: Andrea ("Andrew"), Luca ("Luke"), Anna ("Annas/Ananias") and Ariel are some examples; and some countries use two surnames: <Name> <Father's surname> <Mother's surname>, "Pedro Alvarez Gutierrez".
.. .and don't even start with the Islandic naming scheme where surnames are inherited from either father or mother and change depending on the kid being born male or female.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Additionally:
- some culture have no last names
- some cultures place their family name before their given name
- no middle names?
A possible solution is to choose a random number of names, with a bias towards less.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Maybe just go with totally outlandish names, so you don't have to stick to any established naming schemes.
What is SCP-055 again? I forgot.

Festus1965
In-game: Thomas Explorer Thailand

by Festus1965 » Post

texmex wrote:This would be tricky in some languages.
exact on the point ... IF that mod must supply ALL languages ... hihi
Server: still up, see some gamer - but there is a new 1st important thread "climate change" for me.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Chem871 wrote:Maybe just go with totally outlandish names, so you don't have to stick to any established naming schemes.
So you mean, like, people can decide on their own how they want to be named on the server? Crazy! :D