[Mod] Ratio Workspace (advanced formspec editor) [ratio]

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

[Mod] Ratio Workspace (advanced formspec editor) [ratio]

by sorcerykid » Post

Ratio Workspace Mod v1.0
ratio (by sorcerykid)

This is a placeholder topic for Ratio Workspace, the most advanced formspec editor for Minetest.

Here's a sneak peak of what's in store. The following screencaps depict the latest fully-working prototype from late-June, right before I took a hiatus from Minetest. I know quite a few people were eager to see this project completed, so I promise that work will resume again within the next few weeks. All that remains is some code-cleanup and integration testing :)

No more messing around with Minetest's awkward coordinate system. Ratio is a full featured IDE that works in conjunction with Scarlet Formspec Preprocessor, providing all the tools needed to design forms from the ground up without a single line of code!

Customizable rulers, guides, and grids ensure that every element is exactly where you expect it to be. And best of all you can input arithmetic formulas for any measurements -- including variables for standard padding and spacing.

Having trouble recalling which colors and textures to use? No worry, there are interactive color and texture pickers for this purpose!

Placement, alignment, distribution and ordering of elements is a breeze. And there is support for layers, so elements can be organized into groups for easier manipulation.

Projects can be saved in json format, and also exported as quoted strings for insertion directly into your Lua scripts.

Thanks to everyone that nudged me to keep this project going :)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [Mod] Ratio Workspace (advanced formspec editor) [ratio]

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Can't wait for it to release!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Damn … You’re truly a formspec genius!

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Is there a real_coordinates mode? After that PR I had such a formspec designer on my ideas list, but now this mod is way more sophisticated than what I ever imagined. Looks amazing.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

This is what we need! \o/

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

This looks awesome! Any chance you could put that on a public git repository so interested people can potentially help? ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

I’m quite excited to start using this. Not only for for easier formspec creation in general but for beginning consolidating best practices for component layout patterns as well. I can see you’ve drawn some patterns from Windows, for instance. Once some patterns gains recognition, players will enjoy greater usability as the burden of interpreting every new UI lowers as they become more predictable.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I too am very excited! It will save me so many hours of painstaking trial and error, so I can finally focus more on coding and less on constantly tweaking the interface. Trust me, I absolutely know the feels :)

Right now I'm just finishing up a few other mods that I put on the back burner in 2017. They've been nagging my conscience to no end, and I regret neglecting them for so long. Once I get those rolled out in the next few weeks, I can jump right back into this project and focus my full energy on it. Like I said, nearly all the functionality is in place. And I have an almost fully-working prototype. Thankfully, all that remains is some code reorganization and testing.

I may even go ahead and put a test server online so that people can give Ratio Workspace a trial run and help to identify any bugs or other potential snags prior to the release.

Meanwhile, I put together a quick demonstration video of the latest working prototype on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/383923001

Thanks again everyone for the interest and support in this project!

runs

by runs » Post

So, is it safe to use right now?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Why do you say it's v1.0 if there's nothing to download? I'm confused.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I'm happy to report that the long list of mods that I'd put on the back burner the past couple of years has finally been released. There are only three additional mods that are still pending testing (due to them being larger scale and scope), but I expect to have those all finalized by next week. That means I will be able to commit almost my full attention to Ratio Workspace at long last :)

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Yes! Yay! :D

LC Creations
GitHub: LandonAConway

by LC Creations » Post

Is this ever going to be released? This would be so useful for my mods!
cdb_ac3a146dcafb

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Was just thinking about this a few days ago, it would be pretty useful
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)