[Mod] # Eagle - King of the sky # mob for mobkit [aerotest]

Ignaramico
GitHub: ignaramico

Re: [Mod] # Eagle - King of the sky # mob for mobkit [aerotest]

by Ignaramico » Post

any plans on making it tame able?, it would be a very good companion like the wolf, being able to follow you and fight with you, or maybe being able to use it as a hunting bird, you point at a some target/node and it deals a bit of damage it is a mob, or it pick ups stuff if its a breakble node or dropped entity, like picking up flowers or breaking leaves.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Yes I thought of this, too. But more as a hunting bird which is already difficult enough to code. It starts with taming, which could be done be stealing eggs from an eagles nest and raise a bird. Eagles stay 90% of their time in the air, so you would maybe never catch one.
Second is the hunting itself. They already do it, but they chose their prey themselves. Hunt down a pointed enemy or mob would be not easy. Hitting a moving target is already now not always successful.
So this will be more a long term plan and is not happening tomorrow :D

Andrey01
GitHub: Andrey2470T
In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Post

@Gundul.

Firstly, just amazing mod! I`ve seen at first time so advanced (relatively) and realistic flying behaviour! Relatively, because there were another mods having birds, like NSSM and they were implemented much worse and didn`t actually have proper flying mechanism.

At second, I`ve noticed like a bug or perhaps this case just has not been considered yet in the code. If a bird locates in an enough close space, e.g. in ravines, they will just get stuck there and while flying will bump into the nearby nodes, even not trying to fly up and fly away from there.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Andrey01 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 08:12
@Gundul.

Firstly, just amazing mod! I`ve seen at first time so advanced (relatively) and realistic flying behaviour! Relatively, because there were another mods having birds, like NSSM and they were implemented much worse and didn`t actually have proper flying mechanism.
Thank you. The flight routines were invented by Termos. Everything else of this mod is made by me.
Andrey01 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 08:12
At second, I`ve noticed like a bug or perhaps this case just has not been considered yet in the code. If a bird locates in an enough close space, e.g. in ravines, they will just get stuck there and while flying will bump into the nearby nodes, even not trying to fly up and fly away from there.
I know of that problem. It is not very easy to tell a real flying bird how to see it's surroundings. I have made a basic radar function, which is described in the lua_api.doc in water_life mod. It is casting raycasts and send scores to the bird of where are the less obstacles in the way.
The thing is how can you tell the eagle of what and how far is placed around it without using too much cpu time :D

That is one reason why I introduced exhaustion. After too many failed tries, an eagle will simply die of exhaustion.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Gundul wrote: But more as a hunting bird which is already difficult enough to code. It starts with taming, which could be done be stealing eggs from an eagles nest and raise a bird. Eagles stay 90% of their time in the air, so you would maybe never catch one.
Stealing their eggs and rising the birds sounds like a fun way of entertainment for players. Perhaps tamed eagles could be placed on bird stands or put in cages. Making them hunt for the player or fly around would certainly be too complicated. But that way you could at least collect some *eying my elephant collection on Tunneler's Abyss* (Er, well, hopefully I won't get any problems with animal protectionists...but I'm certain the elephants love their place in the chests! Definitely!)
A list of my mods can be found here.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 03:38

Stealing their eggs and rising the birds sounds like a fun way of entertainment for players.
Mama eagle will get pretty angry, be sure !
Sokomine wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 03:38
Perhaps tamed eagles could be placed on bird stands or put in cages. Making them hunt for the player or fly around would certainly be too complicated. But that way you could at least collect some *eying my elephant collection on Tunneler's Abyss* (Er, well, hopefully I won't get any problems with animal protectionists...but I'm certain the elephants love their place in the chests! Definitely!)
Birds in cages is super evil XD
But there is nothing against elephants in a tiny, cozy, wooden chest :)

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Update

to newest water_life and mobkit.
This pretty important if you run this on a server !
reduced cpu time by consequently removing all unused entities.