Clyde
GitHub: acmgit
In-game: clyde

[MOD]Aqua Farming [aqua_farming]

by Clyde » Post

Have you ever explored the sea in MT?
What have you excited discovered?
Sand? Dirt? CAVES?

Admittedly, since MT 5.x something has changed in this direction, we have now corals and kelp ...
But have you ever played with the idea to build a garden under water and it's not unusually to eat
alga, see sushi.
Now, this mod makes this possible in Minetest, try it.

Aqua farming

Now with Seeds:

Technical:
This mod provides a API to easy register own plants, which can then grow under water.

Source:
https://github.com/acmgit/aqua_farming.git

Release: v1.3
https://github.com/acmgit/aqua_farming/ ... gs/1.3.zip

Contend-DB:

https://content.minetest.net/packages/C ... a_farming/

Depends:

optional
hunger
hunger_ng
diet

License:
GPL 3.0

Have Fun with it and greetings
Clyde.
Last edited by Clyde on Sat Apr 15, 2023 15:10, edited 7 times in total.
My Server: Welcome to Zeitsprung - deadsoft.org:49152 Jungle The next Gundul - jungle-tng.deadsoft.org:49152

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

Re: [MOD]Aqua Farming [aqua_farming]

by MoNTE48 » Post

+1 for a cool mod
-1 for a slop license

Clyde

by Clyde » Post

Special thanks, but what's wrong on the License?
My Server: Welcome to Zeitsprung - deadsoft.org:49152 Jungle The next Gundul - jungle-tng.deadsoft.org:49152

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Prefer GNU LGPLv2.1+, GNU LGPLv3+ or MIT.
The GNU GPL prohibits use in any projects with any not free code.
Last edited by MoNTE48 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

runs

by runs » Post

MoNTE48 wrote:Prefer GNU LGPLv2.1 +, GNU LGPLv3 + m MIT.
The GNU GPL prohibits use in any projects with any not free code.
So, it is 'better' the GPLv3 (for the Open Source Communitty). :-D

LPGL is more permissive, but at the cost of freedom. LGPL is only useful for software libraries.

You all read this to clarify

So, Clyde, please keep the GPL license if you love the Open Source World.

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Well, I am very familiar with licenses.
My game uses one proprietary mod, and that’s it! I can not use any GNU GPL code!
The author of the mod is dead and cannot change the license. There are no analogues of this mod. The freedom community has won that I will never take their code, never improve it and never publish under the same license.

joe7575
GitHub: joe7575
In-game: JoSto wuffi

by joe7575 » Post

What mod are you talking about?
Sent from my Commodore 64. Some of my Mods: Tech Age, TechPack, Hyperloop, Tower Crane, Lumberjack, vm16, Minecart, Signs Bot.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

First off cool mod. Creative concept. I hope you expand on it and improve it.

Secondly, Monte, so you've compromised your game with a bit of proprietary code and now your game is non-free. So you are blaming the GPLv3, a free culture license, because it mandates that people should be able to work on the source code no matter what.

Sounds like the real mistake here is that you are incorporating restricting licenses into your game. Why don't you re-write it or commission someone to re-write it for you so you can return to using free software in your game? A lot of stuff around here, including anything I will write, is GPLv3. You should dump the closed stuff and improve our community by finding a way to recreate that functionality so we can all learn from it and use it! :)

Attachments
absolutely.jpg
absolutely.jpg (57.43 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

runs

by runs » Post

MoNTE48 wrote:Well, I am very familiar with licenses.
My game uses one proprietary mod, and that’s it! I can not use any GNU GPL code!
The author of the mod is dead and cannot change the license. There are no analogues of this mod. The freedom community has won that I will never take their code, never improve it and never publish under the same license.
Exactly! You said so yourself! You use a propietary mod, and because of that you're restricted. But you've decided to incorporate it. Then you should be aware of the consequences.

That's why mods are better off keeping the GPL, the most (open source) restrictive license and the most free at the same time.

MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

Although this is an offtopic (sorry, author), I will give one short answer.
1) the example of a "dead" author was symbolic. Sorry.
2) MultiCraft is a symbiosis of fully open parts on GNU LGPL, and a proprietary code that was created exclusively for my game.
I am sharing some code after some time. I sometimes make contributions to various mods. But when they tell me, "you cannot use my code just because you have several mods and textures that have a proprietary license", I want to say something else.

I spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars creating some things. Professional artists with more than 15 years of experience in pixel art were involved (who of you have been doing something for more than 15 years?), Professional programmers, professional creators of 3D models. Their work costs several tens of dollars per hour.
I made a cool product based on the wonderful free Minetest engine.
And after that I see how some guys took my code, deleted all copyrights, changed game name and uploaded to Google Play, App Store, Windows Store. And make money. Proving copyright infringement can be very difficult. Google is not interested in some kind of "author" if the money is worth it.

Therefore, I closed the source code for some mods and especially worthwhile textures, which are my property. At the same time, I publish all the GNU LGPL code, all other CC media. And indicate all copyrights!

You want to share your work - do it completely.
I want NOT to share a CERTAIN PART of my work - I do it.

Therefore, I do not like the GNU GPL - principledness is a bad thing.
All or nothing is a disgusting concept. Open source software is software that allows me to do whatever I want with it. Respecting the rights of the author. But without tying the user's hands.

Clyde

by Clyde » Post

Thanks for the comments, this is the first version. It works and of course, i will develop again on it.
I see nothing wrong on the license here, many mods here are written under this license.

I wrote and write this mod for the community, the player who likes minetest and want to give one more possible variation to minetest. I don't think, that this mod gonna makes me or someone else rich ;-).

Greetings, Clyde.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

You want to share your work - do it completely.
I want NOT to share a CERTAIN PART of my work - I do it.

Therefore, I do not like the GNU GPL - principledness is a bad thing.
That really says it all. You want to be free to use other people's works and incorporate it into your project. But you feel that since you've invested money and time into your project, you should be able to keep that to yourself, keep it from others, and then reap reward from that. Its hypocritical. This is exactly what GPL and free software is designed to prevent.

Principledness is a good thing. Taking an ethical or moral stance on something after researching, thinking and reaching a conclusion through philosophy is not a bad thing! Quite the opposite. Having principles and having the willpower to stand behind them is a very good and rare thing. Too many people are ignorant or nihilistic about the world we live in. Contributing to a philosophy and movement in order to better the world and people around us is an excellent decision.

The people that create free and open-source software do so with the most valuable asset one can spend: their time. No one should be against you making money. That's fine. But those that chose to forego profit and contribute code and assets to a community for people to use in many different ways are definitely contributing much more than a product. I hope your game works out fine, but I hope no one falls into the trap of using it and becoming dependent on it. There are better alternatives that let you do more with your time. I don't say this because I want to personally attack you or your project, but I just think it is limiting us.

I understand why you would want to hide away your assets. People will steal from you and use your stuff. At least with GPL you know that there is a chance that the assets that you put out will benefit others and may inspire others to also use GPL and free software. Just because you want to make a buck, you are asking someone to lower their principled stance and license on their creation for your benefit. Monte, that is selfish and manipulative. MIT license is not a free or principled license. It is just open-source. How about you open up your assets and code so we can use them and share them with each other? I'm sure the users and players would appreciate having some high quality assets and creations to play with. That would be a really nice use of money and assets, huh? I think so.

There will always be parasitic losers who will lie, steal, and cheat from others to make a quick buck. People learn to dump them and don't like doing business with them. Don't worry about them, they're losers. They can't take pride in their work and will always know that they are cheaters and hacks.

Google is a big faceless company that doesn't care about anything but making a quick buck too, you really shouldn't do business with them. They spy on you, track you, and then sell you out. Its a bad deal for everyone in the long-term.

Having and sharing principles with others will teach them to also value those principles. The network and influence of those who share and protect each other expands. Its a nice thing to be a part of. There is an alternative and its quite nice. I enjoy having players get involved, become contributors to my/our projects, and communicating and working together. It is very rewarding and fulfilling to be a part of. In the bigger picture, its much more beneficial than making some money. Although, with time, perhaps this will be a reward of these projects as well.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Clyde

by Clyde » Post

Update:

I proudly presents:

Aqua-Farming now with Seeds. The plants now throws besides himself, seeds. This seeds are now the base to plant new seafood.
Oh, of course, the plants now needs special soil: Watersoil. This soil is craftable and only there you can use the seeds.

First Page is updated.
Git Source:
https://github.com/acmgit/aqua_farming

Release 1.1:
https://github.com/acmgit/aqua_farming/archive/1.1.zip

Greetings, Clyde.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Very nice. I hope to see this mod on servers. More plants to farm are always welcome, and nicer oceans are definitely a plus. Hope fishes will like those places as well :-)

And the license is fine. Back when I was searching for a license for my projects, I decided to go with GPLv3 as well because it tries to prevent tivoization (we really don't need more locked hardware).
A list of my mods can be found here.

Clyde

by Clyde » Post

Thank you, i've it on my server in action. For me, the oceans and rivers looks better and the small fishes are glad about it, because they can hide there from the sharks ;-).

I see no really good reason to change the License, so i don't change it.

SpinKitty

by SpinKitty » Post

Clyde wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:38
Thank you, i've it on my server in action. For me, the oceans and rivers looks better and the small fishes are glad about it, because they can hide there from the sharks ;-).
On which server(s) can I see this mod? I'd like to try out the farming.
cdb_5563d58744e6

FrostRanger
GitHub: WulftheNordicRanger
IRC: FrostRanger FrostRanger[m]
In-game: FrostRanger FrostStar
Location: In the untamed wilderness of wherever I happen to be dimension hopping this time...

by FrostRanger » Post

SpinKitty wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 04:11
Clyde wrote:
If you don't mind monsters, my server Cabin Fever has the mod. I am sure there are more peaceful servers using the mod though
Sole ranger and ruler of the frozen realms of Cabin Fever and seeker of the ever elusive Dungeon Master...

SpinKitty

by SpinKitty » Post

FrostRanger wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 04:38
SpinKitty wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 04:11
Clyde wrote:
If you don't mind monsters, my server Cabin Fever has the mod. I am sure there are more peaceful servers using the mod though
Thank you. I found the mod on a server I play on, but I'm always looking to discover more servers, so I may check it out.
cdb_5563d58744e6

Clyde

by Clyde » Post

Update:
Version 1.3
Changed some Textures for more colors at the sea.
Added a new plant, the sponge. (sry, it's not spongeBOB :-))

Have fun,
Greetings, Clyde.