[Mod] Doors Redux [doors]

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

[Mod] Doors Redux [doors]

by sorcerykid » Post

Doors Redux Mod
doors (by sorcerykid)

Doors Redux is a total rewrite of the Doors mod from Minetest Game. It builds upon the work of sofar, PilzAdam, and BlockMen to provide greater functionality in addition to an expanded selection of doors from my own Extra Doors mod.

The project actually began as experiment to incorporate centered doors into Minetest Game, because they look so much more visually appealing than the traditional offset doors. However, it turned out to be more complicated than planned, given the need to ensure backward compatibility with existing worlds. So I ended up rewriting the Doors mod from the ground up with a specialized translation matrix, including Blender models adapted from TumeniNode's excellent C Doors mod.

Thankfully, the end result was well worth the effort, since I was able to simplify most of the logic and extend the overall feature-set too! Check out the video below for a step-by-step guide to using Doors Redux!

Demonstration of Doors Redux Mod
https://vimeo.com/401744434

Repository:

https://bitbucket.org/sorcerykid/doors

Download Archive (.zip)
Download Archive (.tar.gz)

Dependencies:

Default Mod (required)

Configuration Panel Mod (required)

Screwdriver Mod (optional)

Installation Instructions:
  1. Backup the original "doors" mod to a safe location.
  2. Unzip the archive into the mods directory of your game.
  3. Rename the doors-master directory to "doors".
Source Code License:

GNU Lesser General Public License v3 (LGPL-3.0)

Media License:

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)

Overview:

Some of the notable features of Doors Redux include:
  • Distinctive sound fx when attempting to open a locked door
  • Multiple locking modes for all doors: unlocked, locked, and shared
  • Multiple closing modes for all doors: auto-close, hold-open, and manual
  • Support for node-center and node-offset door positions
  • Wrench tool cycles between door locking and closing modes
  • Screwdriver tool alternates door position and direction
  • Fully backwards-compatible API with additional functions
Moreover, a set of 18 new doors are readily available! They encompass a wide variety of different building styles, so players are no longer restricted to the four basic steel, wood, glass, and obsidian glass doors that come shipped with Minetest Game.

I truly believe that doors are one of the most essential but often overlooked elements of good architectural design. They set the tone and character of both a living and working space. Have the wrong style of door can make or break the underlying visual aesthetic of any building, which is why I accounted for several possible uses.

Usage Instructions:

First and foremost is support for the already familiar screwdriver. With this tool you can reposition almost any door depending on the mode of operation. Left-clicking switches the hand between left vs. right. Whereas right-clicking switches the position between center vs. offset. It's really that easy!

Image Image

The wrench is another powerful tool in your arsenal for manipulating doors and trapdoors. It can be crafted from just one steel ingot and one steel rod. Like the screwdriver from Minetest Game, the wrench has two modes of operation (with the caveat that any existing doors placed by the original mod must be replaced to use this tool).

To adjust the closing mode, right-click the door or trapdoor with a wrench. The changes will be indicated in chat as follows:
  • Normal (door will remain open or closed as per usual operation)
  • Auto-Close (door will close automatically when opened)
  • Hold-Open (door will be non-closable when opened)
Auto-closing doors are ideally suited for high-traffic commercial buildings like shopping centers, where doors must not be left open unattended. The closing mechanism activates after a preset time period, defined by config.autoclose_timeout in seconds.

Hold-open doors are ideal for when you want to allow for uninterupted passage through a doorway, without having to remove the door entirely. Fire doors in schools are a typical example of doors that are intended to remain open, except during emergencies.

To adjust the locking mode, left-click the door or trapdoor with a wrench. The changes will be indicated in chat as follows:
  • Unlocked (door may be opened and closed by any player)
  • Locked (door may only be opened and closed by the owner)
  • Shared (door may only be opened and closed by members of the protection area)
When placing a door, it will be unlocked. The exception is protected doors, such as most metal doors, which are locked by default.

It is important to note the distinction between protected doors and shared locking mode.
  • Protected doors are owned nodes, and therefore can only be removed and manipulated by the player that originally placed the door, regardless of the locking-mode. All varieties of metal doors are protected doors. This is consistent with the terminology used in the official Minetest Game.
  • Shared locking mode, in contrast, emulates the behavior of the "protected doors" in TenPlus1's Protector Redo Mod. Opening and closing of such doors is contingent on membership in the area of protection. Unfortunately, Protector Redo uses the term "protected doors", which is a misnomer.
Below are some helpful notes regarding functionality that may be somewhat unique the Doors Redux mod:
  • Locking a non-protected door (like an obsidian glass door) will also lock out the player that placed the door until the locking mode is reset.
  • Players that have the 'protection_bypass' privilege, can open, close, and otherwise manipulate any door regardless of ownership or locking-mode.
  • TNT explosions will have no effect on protected doors. However, normal doors will be added to the list of drops, unless they are in a protected area.
  • Use of the wrench and screwdriver is restricted to the owner of the door (in the case of protected doors) or, otherwise, members of the protected area.
  • The owner of a protected door can always dig the door that they placed, even when it is in a protected area that is controlled by another player.
Before starting Minetest, be sure to patch builtin/common/misc_helpers.lua with the following helper functions:
  • Code: Select all

vector.offset = function ( pos, x, y, z )
            return { x = pos.x + x, y = pos.y + y, z = pos.z + z }
    end

vector.offset_y = function ( pos, y )
            return { x = pos.x, y = pos.y + ( y or 1 ), z = pos.z }
    end

vector.origin = { x = 0, y = 0, z = 0 }

Custom door definitions may be added to the init.lua file, or alternately you may use the Doors Redux API in your own mods. The following function is available for registering new doors:
  • doors.register_door( name, def )
    Registers a door withe the given name and definition table.
Several fields of the definition table are required, but most are optional
  • def.tiles - the list of textures to apply to the model
  • def.description - the description to show in the craft guide and itemstack tooltips
  • def.inventory_image - the texture for the inventory item
  • def.groups - the group levels of the node ('door = 1' will be added automatically)
  • def.is_lockable - whether the locking mode is adjustable (default is false)
  • def.is_closable - whether the closing mode is adjustable (default is false)
  • def.sound_open - sound effect to play when opening
  • def.sound_close - sound effect to play when closing
  • def.sound_locked - sound effect to play when locked
  • def.can_center - whether center positioning is possible (default is false)
For programmatically examining and manipulating doors, two API functions are provided:
  • doors.get_door( pos )
    Returns an object for working with a door at the given position. This is intended to be backwards compatible with the former doors.get( ) function.
The door object, returned by the function above, provides the following methods:
  • door_obj.get_properties( )
    Returns a table with four fields describing the various properties of the door:
    • is_open - true for opened or false for closed, as determined by the state
    • type - either "center" or "offset", as determined by the state
    • hand - either "left" or "right", as determined by the state
    • face - ranges from 1 to 4, corresponding with the value of param2
    door_obj.open( )
    Opens the door, unless it is already in an opened state. This will circumvent any ownership checks.

door_obj.close( )
    Closes the door, unless it is already in a closed state. This will circumvent any ownership checks.
A similar function, doors.get_trapdoor( ), allows for working with trapdoors. The object returned provides the same methods as those above.
Last edited by sorcerykid on Mon Mar 30, 2020 14:44, edited 2 times in total.

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

Re: [Mod] Doors Redux [doors]

by pampogokiraly » Post

What does this mod does? It only adds new type of doors? If so, then i definitely have to try this out XD
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I think this is an old version of the extradoors mod.
Newer version is here: viewtopic.php?t=20744
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

FreeGamers wrote:I think this is an old version of the extradoors mod.
Newer version is here: viewtopic.php?t=20744
Nope, this is the newer/alt version
sorcerykid wrote: So I ended up rewriting the Doors mod with a specialized translation matrix, including Blender models adapted from TumeniNode's excellent C Doors mod (which I would've used, but it didn't have a translation matrix).
This looks excellent, I am definitely checking it out...
c_doors is completely basic and primitive so I am very excited you did this, your work is always top notch.
And thank you for the compliment my dear : )
A Wonderful World

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

socerykid wrote: I truly believe that doors are one of the most essential but often overlooked elements of good architectural design. They set the tone and character of both a living and working space. Have the wrong style of door can make or break the underlying visual aesthetic of any building, which is why I accounted for several possible uses.
Definitely! With only MTG doors, there's sometimes the need to use the steel door because it's the right type of texture/color for a cellar. The "functionality" of a locked door is very annoying in such a case as it's the texture/color that counts. It's great that this mod makes this optional for all doors. And there are also a lot of not-so-special-houses that got saved architecture-wise by them having nice doors and windows.
socerykid wrote: First and foremost is support for the already familiar screwdriver. With this tool you can reposition almost any door depending on the mode of operation. Left-clicking switches the hand between left vs. right. Whereas right-clicking switches the position between center vs. offset. It's really that easy!
Oh, nice! It's always been annoying to dig doors multiple times until they operate the way the particular building requires.

Thanks for all your mods! I wish your server would be more to my liking as well...but I really don't like PvP. Hopefully your mods will get used on other servers at least.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

This mod is very good, I really love the new door designs. It really allows more creative designs.

The wrench is also very useful, but I think it needs improvement.

The wrench seems to not work properly for all doors. For the (classic) wooden/steel doors, the wrench does not seem to work at all. I am quite confused about the logic about which doors I am allowed to change the locking state for. It seems arbitrary.

One thing that annoyed me when playing is that I often forget the door state (locked/unlocked). I have to spend wrench wear to figure out the door state. How about writing something into the infotext when the door is locked (e.g. “Locked” / “Openable by protection membery only” / or something like that)? Alternatively, could add sneak-clicking with wrench to display current state “for free”, i.e. without spending wrech wear.

Before starting Minetest, be sure to patch builtin/common/misc_helpers.lua with the following helper functions:
Ugh. Please add the helper functions into the mod itself. Requiring players to patch Minetest just to use a mod is not fair, especially for such minimal functions. Besides, how is vector.offset different from vector.add?

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Minetest 5.2.0, fresh download of the three mods....
Hi,

I love your doors but when I place one door, minetest is closed;

Code: Select all

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'my_fancy_doors' in callback item_OnPlace(): /home/codesound/.minetest/mods/doors/api.lua:536: attempt to call field 'offset_y' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	/home/codesound/.minetest/mods/doors/api.lua:536: in function </home/codesound/.minetest/mods/doors/api.lua:515>
is there one way to fix this error?

Thanks!

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

Hi,
is the repo link correct?
If I download the mod from content db, then it works, but from https://bitbucket.org/sorcerykid/doors it doesn't.
There are some differences, like compatibility.lua not available in repo.

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

by Pyrollo » Post

Nice mod !

I love the screwdriver thing.

When building, I'm always annoyed with doors not in the same plane as panes. I guess it would be possible to have an extra "in the middle" position for doors, aligned with the middle of the node. Checks for possible open would involve two more nodes but it will really permits nice builds.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

JDM

by JDM » Post

I have an error when starting this mod. Minetest debug say this:

ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Program Files (x86)\Minetest\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\doors\init.lua:
...)\Minetest\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\doors/api.lua:12: attempt to call field 'load_config' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...)\Minetest\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\doors/api.lua:12: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'dofile'
...\Minetest\bin\..\games\minetest_game\mods\doors\init.lua:13: in main chunk

I hope that it'll be fixed. I've installed all of the dependencies when running this.

skbzk
GitHub: skbzk

by skbzk » Post

Trapdoor recipes only show up in sfinv, I don't know what causes it.

ZAAo

by ZAAo » Post

Nice mod! Would it be possible to add a toggle to enable/disable "protection" on your doors? What I have in mind, is to turn the door into a protected door, by checking a box, allowing it to give access only to players in the nearby protector's "allow" list, working with the Protector Mod by TenPlus1 :-)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9376

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I am happy to announce that this mod—in altered form—will become part of the next version of Hades Revisited. Using it verbatim was not possible, a lot of changes needed to be make it work in the first place. I also needed to fix a number of bugs.
Then, I added a bunch improvements, including proper overlap checking for center doors, using node timers for auto-close (which is good because it survives server shutdowns), new sound effects and tons of bugfixes that were neccessary to make this mod work with Hades Revisited at all.

You said the rework was worth it and I agree. Especially something as seemingly simple as flipping a door actually meant a complete rework for the mod, and I'm glad that it works. This is much superior to MTG's doors. The fact that you aimed for compability increased the complexity by a lot, I noticed that.

Unfortunately, this release has many bugs so people have to fix those before using this mod in production servers. This is probably again due to the porting from S3 to official Minetest.

Another thing that bothers me about this mod is the chat spam abuse of the wrench. I hate it when mods abuse the chat too much. I guess I will probably use some graphical effect, like a particle or HUD image to denote the current door mode.

Finally, another thing I dislike is that many doors do not have all capabilites (locking, centering, auto-close). I think just all doors should have the full capablities, no exceptions I don't really see a reason why any door should not have these goodies, to be honest.

Anyway, thanks for releasing this mod, I had lots of fun with it on JT2. :-)

ZAAo

by ZAAo » Post

Good ideas Wuzzy! I agree that all doors should have options for auto-close (with toggle, since all doors in real life don't close automatically?), centred double-doors, locking (also toggle option?)... and what do you think of my suggestion to add a toggle option for making the doors protected (when used in a protected area - either by protection blocks or areas protection)?

***Edit: My apologies for not reading properly... I only now saw that it is already possible to use a wrench tool for changing the closing and locking modes on the doors in this mod.
I hope that these features will make their way into all doors in other mods as well :)
*Just an idea: Maybe for more realism in future versions of doors mods, it could be considered to add 2 object "slots" to the doors, for inserting
(1) a locking mechanism (a craftable lock object for example) and
(2) a craftable spring-loaded closing mechanism, as in real world auto-closing doors)?

Wuzzy wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 21:31
I am happy to announce that this mod—in altered form—will become part of the next version of Hades Revisited. Using it verbatim was not possible, a lot of changes needed to be make it work in the first place. I also needed to fix a number of bugs.
Then, I added a bunch improvements, including proper overlap checking for center doors, using node timers for auto-close (which is good because it survives server shutdowns), new sound effects and tons of bugfixes that were neccessary to make this mod work with Hades Revisited at all.

You said the rework was worth it and I agree. Especially something as seemingly simple as flipping a door actually meant a complete rework for the mod, and I'm glad that it works. This is much superior to MTG's doors. The fact that you aimed for compability increased the complexity by a lot, I noticed that.

Unfortunately, this release has many bugs so people have to fix those before using this mod in production servers. This is probably again due to the porting from S3 to official Minetest.

Another thing that bothers me about this mod is the chat spam abuse of the wrench. I hate it when mods abuse the chat too much. I guess I will probably use some graphical effect, like a particle or HUD image to denote the current door mode.

Finally, another thing I dislike is that many doors do not have all capabilites (locking, centering, auto-close). I think just all doors should have the full capablities, no exceptions I don't really see a reason why any door should not have these goodies, to be honest.

Anyway, thanks for releasing this mod, I had lots of fun with it on JT2. :-)

SFENCE
GitHub: SFENCE
In-game: SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

Hi.
I have a compatibility issue.

This mod cause problem when is used in the existing world with doors from mod pack cool trees.

In original doors mod in default minetest game is code:

function doors.register(name, def)
  if not name:find(":") then
    name = "doors:" .. name
  end
But no equivalent code is included In your mod doors register function.

It causes this command

doors.register("door_clementinetree_wood", {...})
register nodes with different names then original doors mod.

So, existing cool tree doors start to be undefined nodes, when this alternative to the default doors mod is enabled.
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

SFENCE
GitHub: SFENCE
In-game: SFENCE

by SFENCE » Post

You have i similar bug like original doors mod from minetest default game had.

See: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/pull/2884

You should use table copy when you register new node

minetest.register_node( ":" .. name .. "_a", table.copy(def) )
cdb_3P0AYqjEIn68

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Hi all, I just wanted to quickly chime in and say (first and foremost) that I'm back. I've also read through the entire thread, and I plan to fix the longstanding bugs ASAP. I agree with a number of Wuzzy's suggestions and criticisms so in the next version I'll try and address those concerns as best as possible.

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback, and for your patience. I'm glad you find the mod useful!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Check out Hades Revisited's doors here: viewtopic.php?p=401245#p401245

As said previously, I forked your mod and made bugfixes. Here's a list of changes compared to your mod:

- Centered door refuses to open if something is in the way (this was by far the most complicated change)
- A centered open door actually occupies 4 nodes now. This prevents annoying overlapping with other nodes
- Centered doors are allowed to "open into" any node that has buildable_to=true (like grass or air or water). This implies
- More sounds (for: locking, unlocking, "shared-locking", changing door mode and failure to close force-open door)
- All doors can be locked and all door modes can be changed for all doors
- Door ownership was removed (probably unsuitable for your mod?)
- Sneak-punch or Sneak-place with wrench shows the current door mode without spending wear
- Removed dependency on config mod (I think it's just simple to do it just do it all inside the doors mod)
- Fixed various depecrated function calls for 5.X.X (console warning spam)
- Fixed outdated use_texture_alpha definitions (look it up in lua_api.txt)
- When you hold a door and use "place key" on another door, the door opens. To place, you must use Sneak+Place (This is standard behavior in MTG; in your mod, placing always places the door, it is impossible to open a door when you hold a door in hand)
- Probably other minor things …

Note that I had a major advantage because I could ignore all compability. :P

About centered open doors: You might want to read the comments in my code. Porting them back to your mod is probably going to be a challenge. So, the way I did it was by introducing several special invisible nodes that prevent being replaced (buildable_to=false), basically variants of doors:hidden (which both your and the MTG version of the mod already have). A closed center door takes 2 nodes of space like usual but the open one takes 4 nodes, 2 for the "hinge", and 2 for the left/right side of the node. It was quite some work to get it to work, but I really wanted to get rid of the annoying overlapping. I want to be strict about the rule "1 node = 1 thing" in my game, no node overlaps allowed (not even visual).

If you look at my code, you will also note the hidden nodes have weird collisionboxes. This is basically an ugly hack to stop falling nodes, but you probably already know that (it's basically like doors:hidden). Oh, btw, I added a simple debug flag to make the hidden nodes visible.

As for door locking/door modes: I enabled all possible modes for all doors because I think it makes no sense to restrict it for any door. These features are THE killer features of this mod, after all, so it's strange that only selected doors have it.

Door ownership is kind of ugly, tho. I removed it for my game because it doesn't go well together with the custom locking system. I think if a server has protection mods, there's no need for door ownership. In an unprotected area, door ownership is pointless anyway since you can usually just dig around the door. This is just an ancient artifact of ancient MTG, basically. But I'm afraid you can't easily remove it from your mod because of compability hell … So it’s probably better if it stays.

Hint: For development, set chat_log_level to "warning" so you instantly see all warnings in chat. This is very useful for development because it will annoy you so it forces you to actually fix the warnings. xD

qwrwed
In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Post

SFENCE wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 13:53
Hi.
I have a compatibility issue.

This mod cause problem when is used in the existing world with doors from mod pack cool trees.

In original doors mod in default minetest game is code:

function doors.register(name, def)
  if not name:find(":") then
    name = "doors:" .. name
  end
But no equivalent code is included In your mod doors register function.

It causes this command

doors.register("door_clementinetree_wood", {...})
register nodes with different names then original doors mod.

So, existing cool tree doors start to be undefined nodes, when this alternative to the default doors mod is enabled.
I've created a fork with a fix: https://github.com/qwrwed/doors_redux (also includes fixed texture for the steel panel door).

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

Thanks for the heads up about the Cool Trees incompatibility. I'm not sure why I had removed that section of code, but it does appear that logic is essential for integration with certain mods, so I can re-add it along with the other fixes.

runs

by runs » Post

I need a door mod for my next game. What advantages of this?

Tim790
GitHub: Tim79000
In-game: Tim7

by Tim790 » Post

runs wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 19:47
I need a door mod for my next game. What advantages of this?
Writing your own doors mod is quite easy, just program the top/bottom to move when you right click the bottom/top make the bottom/top move as well, and make it so when you mine the top or bottom the top or bottom breaks as well.
Yeet.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The main advantages of this mod are (in theory):
- Can use screwdriver to put door in center (so it fits between steel bars)
- Wrench added. This allows to lock doors individually and also add a special mode which automatically closes the door after 1.5 seconds
- Cool-looking new doors

The downside of this mod is:
- Currently unstable and buggy. There needs to be a lot of bugfixing and cleanup for it to be viable for an actual game or server (I added this mod to Hades Revisited with many bugfixes. Sorry, no backport available.)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Tim790 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 00:38
just program the top/bottom to move when you right click the bottom/top make the bottom/top move as well
We should get rid of this "top/bottom" thing and start using proper 3D objects.

runs

by runs » Post

I watch the code and iis complex.

I will do a DoorZ mod, simple, one door only, 3D.