Re: [Modpack] Regional Weather Bundle [climate] [1.0.4]

by debiankaios » Post

Best climate mod

TestificateMods
GitHub: t-affeldt
In-game: Testificate

by TestificateMods » Post

Sorry for the late reply! I've been kinda busy but I really appreciate all the feedback and comments!
UnknownOutrider wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 14:22
[...] Weather gets through glass blocks. [...] I've also discovered that the weather effects get past a roof made of stairs.
Thanks for letting me know about the stairs! I assume it's the same issue as with the glass, so I should hopefully be able to fix both in one go. :)
Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe just try going into the mod's settings of climate_api and then under performance, increase the value for "Check x nodes for outdoor test". There is already a check in place that snow cannot be placed unless underneath an air column. If you have a very high roof, the number of nodes checked by default might not suffice, though. So if your glass dome is 25 nodes high, you want this value to be at least 26. There might be a slight performance hit, though.
Also, I saw mention to disable the "default weather mod" above. How? I can't find a "default weather mod" in my installed mods or settings.
It's part of Minetest Game but can be disabled in the settings. Go to Settings -> All Settings, and then look for Games -> Minetest Game. At the very bottom of the list, there should be an option called "Enable weather". Double-click on it to set it to "Disabled".
ThorfinnS wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 03:51
Might be the variation is a bit much.
I think so, too. It is just extremely hard to test and get the balance quite right by myself. So I definitely appreciate the feedback! I'll look into it further.
debiankaios wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 08:39
Best climate mod
Thank you. :)

MetaNomad
In-game: MetaNomad

by MetaNomad » Post

Hi,

Very cool mod, I use it in my singleplayer world.

As what have been said before, it's a good mod, but need some tuning.

I'm playing in a Jungle biome, and temperature was very very low (freezing), probably because I'm close to a mountain with snowy biome. And the humidity was very dry, probably because I'm close to a desert biome on the other side (all with valley mapgen and ethereal). So it results that I'm living in a jungle where it's freezing and never rains :-)

I played with set_base_temperature/humidity commands, found the good settings to have a more realistic place to live, but then was surprised that the change was not permanent for this world, every time I load the game again, temperature comes back to what it was. So I used the "settings" menu to set it, and so it works. For me it's ok since I only play in one world, but if someone have many different worlds, I guess the settings will affect all the other worlds as well...
And I haven't traveled far enough for now to see how this setting would affect other places of my world

A few improvements that can be made :

- Puddles texture are very ugly IMO, so I desactivated it
- The rivers water icing is a good idea, but looks like they never melt back to water. After new base_heat, I could have days with a "Scorching 42°C", and still ice in the river... I wanted to disable this function in the settings, but then all the ice blocks appears as "unknown items". I tried to modify the code to make it melt faster, but was not really efficient, so I endend disabling new icing in the code, breaking by hand the existent ice blocks in my river, and let it like that, hoping that with the new settings, other ice around will smelt slowly, and never ice again.
- When it's raining, the way you detect that we are "indoor" makes strange behavior that if we are in the wild and it's raining, when we go under a tree, it stops raining. Going out of the tree, and rain start again.
- The wind sound is too high. I looked in the code to try to find if I could easely set the gain, but was a bit to complex for me, so I just edited the .ogg file with audacity and decreased the gain of this sound by 50%, and now it's perfect
- The amplitude of temperature sometimes is a bit too extreme, going from 5°C in the morning to 39°C at 2 pm... well, there's some place on earth where we can experiment that, but it's not so common

And finally, if one day you rewrite the code, it would be much better to use Celsius degrees everywhere, and add a Fahrenheit degrees conversion for the few US people playing... because, well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coun ... enheit.svg

TestificateMods

MetaNomad wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:13
Hi, Very cool mod, I use it in my singleplayer world.
Hey! Thanks for the feedback! :)
I'm playing in a Jungle biome, and temperature was very very low (freezing), probably because I'm close to a mountain with snowy biome. And the humidity was very dry, probably because I'm close to a desert biome on the other side (all with valley mapgen and ethereal). So it results that I'm living in a jungle where it's freezing and never rains :-)
yeah, not much I can do about that. it doesn't really care about the biomes at all but instead looks at the temperatures / humidity values during world generation. if you end up in a dry, cold jungle then that means that the game decided to put a jungle in a dry, cold area for whatever reason. it's weird but a bit out of scope to fix unless I want to hardcode weather conditions based on biomes leading to many other issues.
I played with set_base_temperature/humidity commands, found the good settings to have a more realistic place to live, but then was surprised that the change was not permanent for this world, every time I load the game again, temperature comes back to what it was. So I used the "settings" menu to set it, and so it works
Yes, I implemented those commands for debug and showcase purposes and hadn't condisdered to make them persistent. That's a good idea.
Puddles texture are very ugly IMO, so I desactivated it
:( I like them but to each their own. that's why it's a toggleable feature.
The rivers water icing is a good idea, but looks like they never melt back to water. After new base_heat, I could have days with a "Scorching 42°C", and still ice in the river
interesting. it has worked fine so far in my own world but I needed to make similar adjustements to snow layers based on other reports. Thanks for letting me know, I will look into it.
I wanted to disable this function in the settings, but then all the ice blocks appears as "unknown items".
oops. something must've gone wrong there. I'll fix that.
When it's raining, the way you detect that we are "indoor" makes strange behavior that if we are in the wild and it's raining, when we go under a tree, it stops raining. Going out of the tree, and rain start again.
I know that it's weird. This is how all weather mods that I know of do it at the moment (unless they don't check at all which is even worse). But I am thinking of better ways to do it. Maybe the new updates to the light system can be helpful.
The wind sound is too high.
hmmm... you're probably right.
The amplitude of temperature sometimes is a bit too extreme, going from 5°C in the morning to 39°C at 2 pm... well, there's some place on earth where we can experiment that, but it's not so common
yeah, I've been struggling with that for a long time now. still a wip
it would be much better to use Celsius degrees everywhere
I am using Fahrenheit here because the game engine uses Fahrenheit in the world generation. it makes the code more consistent. Otherwise I would have chosen Celsius as well.

MetaNomad

by MetaNomad » Post

TestificateMods wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 05:50
still a wip
Of course, but you have made awesome work so far :-) Thanks a lot for that !
it would be much better to use Celsius degrees everywhere
I am using Fahrenheit here because the game engine uses Fahrenheit in the world generation. it makes the code more consistent. Otherwise I would have chosen Celsius as well.
Oh, really ? What would be the best way to talk about that ? Make a new post in the forum ? Or open a issue on the engine github (I'm not very used to Github system, don't really know how to do it) ?

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Heat and humidity used by the mapgen are "abstract units".

viewtopic.php?p=381816#p381816
paramat wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 18:37
The heat and humidity noise values are in abstract units, [...] Some have commented how MT humidity is very approx similar to 'relative humidty', and how MT heat is very approx similar to that stupid imperial unit 'fahrenheit'.
But, it is best to not think of them like this as such comparisons are extremely approximate, and MT humidity can exceed the 0 to 100 range. Also of course, everyone outside the USA should avoid thinking in fahrenheit.

MetaNomad

by MetaNomad » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28
Heat and humidity used by the mapgen are "abstract units".
Ha, ok ! So we have now a new unit for temperature ! How should we call it ? Degrees Minetenheit
or Degrees Minetelsius ? :-D
TestificateMods wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 05:50
yeah, not much I can do about that. it doesn't really care about the biomes at all but instead looks at the temperatures / humidity values during world generation. if you end up in a dry, cold jungle then that means that the game decided to put a jungle in a dry, cold area for whatever reason. it's weird but a bit out of scope to fix unless I want to hardcode weather conditions based on biomes leading to many other issues.
Ho yes, I've read a bit of the lua_api.txt to understand how works temperature and biome distribution, and I got it way better now.

Your approach is good I think, this issue comes more from the mapgen noise settings which could be tuned better and/or biome placement settings.
Probably because mapgen noise setting and biome registration were written by different people who had a different perception of the signification of this exotic "Minetest degree".

This could be solved by adding a conversion reference in lua_api.txt so every modder can follow the same rule about how to interpret Minetest temperature value.
If I understood it good, Minetest temperature ranges from 0 to 100, so the boundaries could be matched with common extreme temperatures found on earth, from -20°C to 50°C for e.g.
But a dev who knows better than me how this value was interpreted in the past will be more able "conversion rule" to not break everything that depends on it

Of course, all what I said can be applied to humidity value as well

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/11211

MeseCraft
GitHub: MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

I've been having a hard time getting this to work with my game, MeseCraft. Are there any known conflicts with other mods that prevent the climate modpack from working properly? I've never seen any weather effects work in the game naturally.

This is the source I use to build the game: https://notabug.org/MeseCraft/mesecraft/src/development

Been troubleshooting this for awhile and am stuck. Will keep trying though.
🌎 Website | ⛏️ MeseCraft Game | 📰 News | 🖌️ ContentDB

Ghaydn
In-game: ghaydn

by Ghaydn » Post

It seems to be not working even in MTG without other mods.
Nobody understands me... — вРН БШ ЯЙЮГЮКХ?

runs

by runs » Post

TestificateMods

I've been on a bit of a hiatus because I've been incredibly busy recently. I probably won't have the time to develop any patches for probably the next couple weeks.
The mods definitely worked on MTG 5.2.0 and 5.3.0 - I was not able to test the more recent 5.4.1 build yet. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment. I will have a look at it once I have the time.

TestificateMods

MeseCraft wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 16:48
I've been having a hard time getting this to work with my game, MeseCraft. Are there any known conflicts with other mods that prevent the climate modpack from working properly?
No known conflicts that would cause this problem. The only one being player_monoids from the ContentDB causing problems with movement - the fixed version on their Github solves it, though.

So it might very well be the updated Minetest version itself. I cannot confirm whether my mods work under 5.4.1 at the moment because of time restrictions. But the update may or may not have caused some issues. The mods definitely worked under 5.3.0

MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

I'll give it another go now. Thank you for the notification. I'll test it soon and respond with the result. The mod looks really promising and I'm excited to test it. Hope the holidays were nice for you.

MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

I was able to verify it working in the game by adjusting temp and humidity to 0 and 100 respectively. I think the values of my humidity and temp are something I need to understand more and calibrate or test more. I just haven't the weather appearing naturally in the game at all.

org.cosoc
GitHub: cosoc

by org.cosoc » Post

Hello, for Chinese users to exchange minetest, I will carry one to the Chinese forum!
https://minetest.cosoc.cn/t/modpack-reg ... -1-0-4/449

hacknorris
GitHub: hacknorris-aka-penguin
IRC: hacknorris
In-game: hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

bug. looks like :/ meh :/
video link (cause flash already doesnt work and this site doesnt have video bbcode :/ )

\/ \/ \/

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... 11_1_1.mp4

yitianetie

by yitianetie » Post

Hi,

A very nice mode indeed. But I have concerns about heat and humidity values. Some biomes like savana or banana grove (from ethereal) have weird values : it is sometimes freezing in savana with ice blocks in river.
But I have also noticed that heat and humidity don't change with altitude, except for mapgen "valley" where heat varies to much. If I take the carpathian mapgen : I still get high temperature at top of mountains. It is probably related to specific mapgen features but maybe you will find a way to take account for altitude.
I don't see any reply from you (the author) since last year, I just hope that development/update of this great mod is not given up.

Warmest regards.

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

yitianetie wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 08:17
Hi,

A very nice mode indeed. But I have concerns about heat and humidity values. Some biomes like savana or banana grove (from ethereal) have weird values : it is sometimes freezing in savana with ice blocks in river.
But I have also noticed that heat and humidity don't change with altitude, except for mapgen "valley" where heat varies to much. If I take the carpathian mapgen : I still get high temperature at top of mountains. It is probably related to specific mapgen features but maybe you will find a way to take account for altitude.
I don't see any reply from you (the author) since last year, I just hope that development/update of this great mod is not given up.

Warmest regards.
probably yes, they gave up. it doesnt work with newest minetest cause it leaves you with no weather at all. tested in mt 5.5.1 ... :/

TestificateMods

The mods should be working with the newest updates, some world might need some tweaking with the configuration. Sadly, the heat map has always been a bit wonky.

I still occasionally check back on the forums but I indeed don't have much time for continuous development. I would love to put more time into it to improve stability and performance (including aforementioned weirdness) but my financial situation doesn't allow for that kind of time dedication. For the time being, I will fix critical bugs across version updates but no feature updates planned for the near future.

TestificateMods

hacknorris wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 08:46
video link (cause flash already doesnt work and this site doesnt have video bbcode :/ )
This bug usually arises when you don't follow the installation instructions completely.
You need to disable the default cloud mod in order to prevent conflicts.
TestificateMods wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 18:21
Important: [...] when using this with Minetest Game, go to your Settings -> All Settings -> Games -> Minetest Game and set Enable weather to disabled. Otherwise, some of Climate API's visual effects will be overriden by MTG's cloud randomization.

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

TestificateMods wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 17:37
hacknorris wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 08:46
This bug usually arises when you don't follow the installation instructions completely.
You need to disable the default cloud mod in order to prevent conflicts.
TestificateMods wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 18:21
Important: [...] when using this with Minetest Game, go to your Settings -> All Settings -> Games -> Minetest Game and set Enable weather to disabled. Otherwise, some of Climate API's visual effects will be overriden by MTG's cloud randomization.
yes. i disabled. but then i got empty sky with no weather...

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

like this :
Attachments
screenshot_20220629_200019.png
screenshot_20220629_200019.png (115.33 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
screenshot_20220629_200309.png
screenshot_20220629_200309.png (111.62 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

TestificateMods

hacknorris wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 17:55
Probably because you're in a very dry savannah. If you also don't get any clouds in more humid regions (e.g. a rainforest) then tinkering with the mods base humidity configuration could help.

hacknorris

by hacknorris » Post

TestificateMods wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 19:35
hacknorris wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 17:55
Probably because you're in a very dry savannah. If you also don't get any clouds in more humid regions (e.g. a rainforest) then tinkering with the mods base humidity configuration could help.
not only this. i just dont have weather. like no clouds, no rain, no nothing. only 2 raw and useless stats i can send over chat...

TestificateMods

hacknorris wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 07:10
not only this. i just dont have weather. like no clouds, no rain, no nothing. only 2 raw and useless stats i can send over chat...
First up, make sure that you grabbed both mods and not just Climate API. If you are missing the Regional Weather mod then you don't have any weather effects installed. Also make sure that you not only installed but also activated both mods in your world.

If that is the case then the only way of testing is to set the base humidity and the base temperature to an extremely high level. That should force it to rain everywhere. If this works then playing with those values should fix your issue.

If both of these fail then there might be a bug in the mod.